PDA

View Full Version : ECO FRIENDLY PAINT???

Mercedes
10-04-2012, 05:55 AM
ECO FRIENDLY PAINT??? I am painting my neoprene tail, but I want it to be completely eco friendly so I can swim in aquariums. Does anyone have any insight on eco friendly paints etc? I am painting on 2mm neoprene with polyester backing.

Winged Mermaid
10-04-2012, 06:46 AM
I moved your topic to the proper place, but please take the time to try and find the right category for your topic next time!

Don't use any tin cure anything on your tail. No tin cure latex, no tin cure silicone (such as ALEX Plus or GE Silicone). Screen printing paint would be best but can be the more costly option. If you use acrylic I would recommend you use acrylic with a textile medium (http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/ceramcoat-textile-medium-31583/), otherwise the paint can crack and flake off in the tank. Acrylic is essentially melted plastic once dry, so that wouldn't be good for the fish.

Nykur
10-04-2012, 06:47 AM
I 2 want to know what paint Mike used for mermaid Melissa's tails,
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.267267049976759.56916.184952671541531&type=1

Winged Mermaid
10-04-2012, 07:09 AM
The specific type of paint he uses for his tails is unknown. It is considered a trade secret. However the colors themselves I believe are mostly custom mixed. The tails are molded platinum silicone tails, so the paint is mixed in with extra platinum silicone (after the tail is already made) and painted on in many many layers, and left to cure between each layer. It takes a long time (weeks or more) to paint one of those tails properly (especially light colors), but worth it.

Nykur
10-04-2012, 08:37 AM
Damn, tahnx anyway Winged Mermaid :D

Mercedes
10-04-2012, 01:56 PM
Oh sorry, that was the first time I ever posted anything. I'm a little confused on here, still trying to figure it out :) Thank you for moving it to the right place. So acrylic paints work best, but as of right now there are no acrylic paints that are eco friendly? Screen painting would be my only option?