PDA

View Full Version : Need competitor fin ASAP please help!

Atlantis
10-05-2012, 05:08 PM
I ordered my competitor monfin from Finis $ weeks ago and its still on back order. I need the fin NOW so I can finish my new tail in time for my big photo shoot in October (open ocean free dive). Does anyone have a used one they want to sell, or know where I can get one right away?

TheMermaidAtlantis@gmail.com
Competitor monofin (or equilient)
women US size 8.5 (med/lg)

LindseyLu
10-05-2012, 05:51 PM
http://www.freedivinginstructors.com/proshop/gear

I bought my monofin from these guys and it was a great experience! Took less than two weeks to arrive at my house. Both Model 1 & Model 2 monofins are the same measurements as the competitor, fiberglass, and about $100.00 cheaper :) Plus they don't have the boning along the footpockets that tends to stand out.

Good luck :) I hope you get your tail done in time!!!

Winged Mermaid
10-05-2012, 05:52 PM
Yeah, the back order issue has been going on for well over a year now. It's ridiculous! Yet another reason I recommend SpecialFin or LeaderFin instead. But you probably don't have the wait time to wait for a fin from another country :/

If you want one fast, you're going to have to buy it from someone else. Swim Outlet has great prices, but it looks like right now they only have the large and extra large sizes in stock. It's only an extra $14 than what you would pay with the mermaid20 discount from Finis. That isn't bad at all. Other than that, search around. Google, ebay, amazon, ect.

Also if you do that, you should call Finis up and have your order cancelled.

LindseyLu
10-05-2012, 05:56 PM
PS: If you are an 8.5 US foot size you may want to order the 260mm instead of the 240mm. They fit really snug and it would be better to get a size too big and wear booties instead of having a size too small and ending up with horrible foot cramps. I wear a size 9.5 US and I got the 260mm, it fit, really tight, and it gave me horrible cramps after a few minutes of swimming. They were awesome about exchanging it, but if you have a deadline it's better to be safe than sorry! :)

Atlantis
10-05-2012, 06:06 PM
good to know, thanks Lu. I ordered from Swimoutlet.com. Overnight delivery!

Atlantis
10-05-2012, 06:07 PM
mermaid20 discount? 20% off?

LindseyLu
10-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Yay!!! Congrats!!!

The Mermaid20 is a discount you can get from Finis.com....but if you bought one from swimoutlet you probably got it for about the same price as you would have with the Finis discount :)

meremily
10-05-2012, 08:18 PM

I bought my monofin from these guys and it was a great experience! Took less than two weeks to arrive at my house. Both Model 1 & Model 2 monofins are the same measurements as the competitor, fiberglass, and about $100.00 cheaper :) Plus they don't have the boning along the footpockets that tends to stand out.

Good luck :) I hope you get your tail done in time!!!

thanks! thats so cool! do you know the difference between model 1 and 2? my fin shape is really big .did you swim with it? do you have a video?

Atlantis
10-09-2012, 08:13 PM
Got it, so excited!

Atlantis
10-09-2012, 08:19 PM
Got it, so excited!

spottedcatfish
10-10-2012, 03:15 AM

Thanks for this link. I've been looking for a beginning freediving instructor, located here in San Diego for a while now!

LindseyLu
10-10-2012, 12:35 PM
You're welcome Spottedcatfish! :) If you end up taking a course please let us know what you think!? They were recommended to me by Linden Wolbert, I believe she works with them :)

@ MerEmily - Here's a pic of it, they order from Water Ways :)

LindseyLu
10-10-2012, 01:28 PM
PS: I do want to note that I had to return this monofin because I ordered a foot size that was too tight, and they sent me a meduim blade and I had purchased a soft blade. I did swim in it a few times and loved it, but the foot pockets caused my feet to cramp up rather quickly.

This is the new monofin I am purchasing from Specialfins in Estonia. They are a great company with really nice and helpful customer service. The reason I am going through them instead this time is because they offer OMER foot pockets, which as you can see are full foot pockets. the bonus there is they are much more comfortable and you can literally wear them for hours without dealing with unbearable foot cramping. The total cost for this fin (minus the neoprene wings shown in the image) with shipping to me is $220.00.

meremily
10-10-2012, 04:15 PM
You're welcome Spottedcatfish! :) If you end up taking a course please let us know what you think!? They were recommended to me by Linden Wolbert, I believe she works with them :)

@ MerEmily - Here's a pic of it, they order from Water Ways :)

thanks lindseylu! so you returned this monofin? if you put neoprene sock will it give cramps?

LindseyLu
10-10-2012, 05:31 PM
if you put neoprene sock will it give cramps?

You wouldn't need neoprene socks, the foot pockets are very tight. I even had to use shampoo to wedge my feet into them!

However, if you want to wear socks to avoid blisters and soars, make sure you order the foot pockets at least one size larger than you actually wear. This way you can still wear the socks comfortably :)

Keep in mind if you order one and it turns out to be too tight or too loose, this company is really nice and very willing to help their customers. They will help you exchange it for a better fitting size.

Atlantis
10-11-2012, 11:40 AM
ok, so how do I transport this beast of a fin to Hawaii? It too big to fit into my large rolling luggage! Do they make special travel cases for these things? im out of money at this point.

Mermaid Saphira
10-11-2012, 11:53 AM
ok, so how do I transport this beast of a fin to Hawaii? It too big to fit into my large rolling luggage! Do they make special travel cases for these things? im out of money at this point.
Perhaps these threads will come in handy ;)
http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?2068-Tail-Transportation&highlight=travel
http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?983-Travel-Bags&highlight=travel

LindseyLu
10-11-2012, 12:49 PM
Then it just became your cary on luggage ;) That's what many people have to do!