PDA

View Full Version : Fans on FB

AniaR
08-04-2011, 11:24 AM
OKay, I just felt I needed to say this since I see a lot of mers with fanpages frustrated that they aren't getting lots of fans...

And yes, I know, before you point it out, this will sound like I'm jealous... I totally accept that. All I can say is I'm not jealous but you can believe what you want...

A lot of people who are insanely popular of FB are because they've paid for FB advertising. I looked into it, you basically bid on how much you're willing to pay per fan and FB advertises you until you reach that amount of fans. So when you see people who have only been around a few months and have thousands and thousands of fans compared to people who have been around years who have way less I think advertising accounts for a lot of that.

But, there are ways you can increase your exposure too. I started my page in January, and I almost have 800 fans. I'm averaging close to 100 fans a month. That's not amazing, but not bad, by the time I've been online a year with my page I expect at least 1200 if I am going at the rate I seem to be going.

Anywhere I post mermaid stuff or my images on the web I always have a link back to FB, anytime I do an interview I make sure to mention I have a FB. I have a twitter account that links to FB, a DA, a Tumblr, and my youtube videos all link back to FB. When I talk to customers I mention I have a FB. When I swim in public I mention they can find me from FB. I also try to give incentives for people to share my page (a friend does photography and he has contests all the time!)

I dont see anything wrong with advertising, I just feel so bad so many of you look at those pages and wonder why you can't get up that high. I just wanted you to know it's a bit skewed

jukumerboii
08-05-2011, 12:19 AM
WOW i had no idea that people BUY advertisement on FB??!! well i think u will be getting more fans as time goes by,,maybe you could do more mer-vids?:confused: just an idea!

RêveD'eau
08-05-2011, 03:31 AM
It's exciting to get new fans but people get way too obsessed. I know when I reach a milestone I post about it but I think I've asked my friends a few times to repost my page (for my birthday and when my first account was deleted). Thank you to all who do it voluntarily! :) But the fans I like are the ones that are going to read or respond to what I have to say. What's the point of liking a page and blocking the updates? Quality of friends, not quantity of them; I like to get to know people and have real conversations with them, get them involved and thinking, not just have them write on my wall that they love mermaids (which is great too, but there is so much more! Ya know?). And personally I don't think I would ever pay money just so some FB users can click a button claiming they "like" me. There is nothing wrong with it but I would rather buy a new tail ;)

Absolutely no offense to those who ask people to repost their page and share it. I totally understand that from a business point of view, especially if it is a major form of income. And no offense to the people who just want more fans, I think it's natural to want people to like you in general :)

AniaR
08-05-2011, 11:26 AM
Yes I can see your point Cyd. Im totally someone who posts obsessively though so I do tell people they can like my page and block the updates and then just visit the page to check in. (a lot of people do it! lol) Im always asking people to share too because I have an amazing amount of international fans but not so many local which is my bread and butter for booking gigs! But I do agree, it's the ones that are always interacting that really make things worthwhile for everyone involved :) Sometimes they get a little too crazy though! :P

Spindrift
08-05-2011, 12:19 PM
Do you guys find it annoying when other businesses post on your page to advertise their stuff just because it's mer related?

AniaR
08-05-2011, 02:11 PM
I delete stuff like that unless people ask me. it's unfair to give me no choice but to endorse something. I'm careful about who and what I endorse.

Spindrift
08-05-2011, 03:01 PM
That's what I thought should happen. I see all this spam on Hannah's and Kariel's walls and don't understand why they don't do anything about it.