PDA

View Full Version : Dance top base?

Thalassa
10-14-2012, 01:42 PM
I was searching for flesh-colored tankini tops or wetsuit tops, when I remembered that dance leotards often come in a nude color. From what I can see, they're made from the same-ish materials as swim fabric, except perhaps thinner and needing padding in the bust area. It's been a while since I danced or wore a leotard, so I'm not sure if I'm remembering well. XP I've also never worn a leotard in the water, so I'm not sure how the material would respond.

Has anyone ever tried using a dance leotard as a base for a mertop? Any advice or recommendations? I'm not really sure what I want to do with the top, so far I've just been trying to find something that will work to cover my stomach and as a base.

Thanks for any feedback you can give me!

Capt Nemo
10-14-2012, 03:29 PM
It will go transparent when it gets wet!!!

Thalassa
10-14-2012, 03:42 PM
Nemo: That's why I'm thinking of it as a base, not a top by itself. I'd be sewing other fabric, greenery, or sequins over the top. I'm just not skilled enough to come up with my own pattern. XP

Winged Mermaid
10-14-2012, 07:41 PM
Depends on the fabric. Not all dance fabrics are made the same. Make sure it feels more like bathing suit material than some kind of blend that wouldn't work so well, get weighted down or stretch out in water. Besides that I don't see a reason why not! Hope it works out. You should post pics when you're done ^_^

Thalassa
10-14-2012, 09:50 PM
I sure will! If nothing else, it'll be a "Oops, welp just so you know dance stuffs don't work for such and such a reason..." XD

Mer_Adella
10-14-2012, 09:55 PM
That sounds like a great idea. Maybe even using fabric paints and painting scales on it and then adding some at the top of the tail

Capt Nemo
10-15-2012, 08:56 PM
Nemo: That's why I'm thinking of it as a base, not a top by itself. I'd be sewing other fabric, greenery, or sequins over the top. I'm just not skilled enough to come up with my own pattern. XP

But the uncovered areas will still go transparent and show elastic, tags, and other things thru the fabric. Nude and white are the worst followed by the lighter colors. Many dance bra's are also cotton lined in either white or nude, which would show through. But the nude cotton might hide things.

Mer_Adella
10-16-2012, 09:51 AM
I just thought of something. What about using one of those dance leotards in the nude color. Then cutting a slit up the spine in the back and sewing in some of the vinyl floor matting and making a dorsal spine fin? I know that a lot of people were asking about how to do it. Then you could paint the chest with scales (for me at least to cover up my boobs).....do you think that would work??? It might not be the greatest but it might work right?

Mermaid Dottie
10-16-2012, 11:36 AM
That all sounds like fun! So everybody knows my baby came in august, right? Well, I decided to go buy some of the spanks things for postpartum support. Those things are super thick, okay in the water (I tested it at the pirate festival, remember? ) and come in a couple variations of nude, as well as black and white. You could TOTALLY tweak one of those!

MerMarla
10-19-2012, 03:02 AM
Hi Thalassa,
We used to use leotards at Weeki Wachee Springs, for our some of mermaid or "supporting role" costumes back in the late 60's early 70's. Those leotards did not "return" to shape as nicely as they do now. So we sized down so they fit tighter. Leotards do come sleeveless, and there is no reason you couldn't stitch-tack in a strapless bra underneath the fabric. Just find a good manufacturer of a dance leotard, you probably can check it out for size and wear it in the shower once to see if you like the effect! Actually, leotards are not hard to make, I make my own swimsuits, and save bundles, using dance or swimwear fabric... that way I can line them, use a shelf or padded bra cup, what ever "suits" my need at the moment. Leotards are just a modification of a swimsuit. I bought all my fabric (4-way stretch) at Joann Fabrics, using a 50% off coupon, my lined swimsuit cost me $7.00. If you don't sew, maybe you know someone who can help you. Hope this helps! MerMarla