PDA

View Full Version : Not exactly new, but hi!

Cordelia
10-17-2012, 02:32 AM
As a shy mer, it takes me a bit to jump into the waters, so to speak. I've been mostly lurking, and making a few posts here and there, for the better part of this year. I didn't actually realize mermaiding was "a thing" until about August of last year. I started watching videos on you tube (why yes, that was me making all of those view counts rise!), then moved on to finding a forum. I saw a few posts from MerYuku, but by that point, the powers that be had already begun shifting everything over to Mernetwork.

My backstory is as follows:

I have loved fantasy and myths since before I even knew what those words meant. I have a book called The Encyclopedia of Mythical Creatures. I loved reading and rereading the passages in the book, especially the Nixi, Selkie, and Mermaid entries. When I was much younger, I would also ask my grandma to read the book to me, too! With all of the drownings and people eaters in the book, it is surprising to me now that she would always fullfill my request.

I was only 4 when Splash came to theaters, so I was probably 6 or 7 by the time I actually watched it on television. Let me tell you, it totally knocked the Rainbow Brite movie out of my number one top favorite movie of all time! :P I think I thought it was so awsome, because obviously Daryl Hannah was a real mermaid; at least, in my mini mind she was. :D For some reason, my favorite part was the lobster/dinner scene. I thought it was hilarious that she ate right through the shell!

If you had asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, I would have said that I wanted to be a mermaid. As I grew up, I never really thought of that as a viable career option until I found out that it actually could be! I am definitely glad that I never grew out of my "mermaid-phase". For the time being, I mermaid recreationally. I'm not really sure if it will get farther than that, because I have other ambitions. I knit (a lot) and write when I am not subbing or tutoring.

After watching how to videos on you tube and finding an awesome and brightly colored fabric, I set about to create my own tail in June. It took me about two months total to design, cut, and sew. Truth be told, it still needs a little work. I plan on replacing some of the stitching to add velcro so that my monofin doesn't have to be restricted to just one tail. You see where I'm going with this? :P

I have plans on making another fabric tail by next year, and I would like to save up to either buy or make a silicon tail (I worry about developing allergies to latex - my mom is allergic to it and I tend to follow in her footsteps with allergies, so I try to limit my exposure - otherwise I would be sending out emails to buy a latex tail like now :P ). So far, I've managed to save a bit from dog sitting and having a booth at a craft fair (which I'm currently knitting like a fiend to restock before our Dec. show!) After than, I plan on listing any extra items on Etsy to continue to raise money.

Anyway... I hope this wasn't an over share. I've had a lot of fun reading people's posts on the site! My favorite topics so far are the Show Us Your Tails thread and the I just had a photo shoot thread. I might get brave enough to post some pictures sometime soon. If not of me (err, so not photogenic), then of my tail itself. It was fun to make, despite the fact that the beast needed to be hand-sewn due to the quadruple (in some areas) layer of vinyl fabric.

ShyMer
10-20-2012, 08:14 AM
Well Cordelia, thanks for introducing yourself :p

Sea Pearl
10-20-2012, 01:50 PM
Welcome to MerNetwork Cordelia!