PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Finis Rapid slipping off, any tricks?

Naiad Rose
10-20-2012, 12:31 AM
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any tricks for keeping the Finis Rapid on.

I ordered a Rapid because my sandal size is 9 (I wear 9.5-10's in boots & sneakers due to longer middle toes that get cranky, but being a 9 in sandals I thought this was the right monofin). I'd rather not have to switch to a Wave, as I'd like to keep the larger fin size, although a Wave isn't supposed to be the right one anyway since they say it only goes up to women's 8, right?

Getting the Rapid on seems difficult, it's always very tight to start with. I had a hard time getting my feet in & was not able to fully tighten the strap while putting it on. I'm most often using fin socks, but even without them it can start off very tight. But after it's gotten wet, it starts to slip off. I ended up tugging on the straps while in the pool and then tightening it as far as it would go while in fin socks, & it would still come off. (It can't force itself off by being 'too tight', can it?) It seems the slipping may have been a little worse with fin socks than it was without any.

My first thought after that was to try ordering a replacement strap made for the Wave to see if I could get it pulled in tighter with a smaller strap. I had to transfer it into the clips from the Rapid's strap, and I haven't had a real opportunity to test the fin since then, so I'm not sure how well that will work.

I've seen some fin socks that have a hard sole where it comes up over the heel and makes a ridge: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LK1OA4
I thought maybe those would work, if the ridge could trap the strap and prevent it from slipping down. But as expected, the hard soles were very difficult to wedge into the pockets. The pair I was trying this with is not going to cooperate.

Does anyone else have experience with this issue?

Thanks very much!

~ Naiad Rose

Koral
10-20-2012, 01:01 AM
I think a lot of us have the slippage problem. I'm also a size 9, and have been wearing Rapid. I have just been using plain (not neoprene) socks (the thicker the better). With a loose tail or no tail, it still slips - though not as much. In a tight and properly fitted tail, namely around the ankles, I didn't have problems with it slipping at all. No socks? Slippage everywhere. Now, what I have been doing to keep me from adjusting the straps every 2 minutes is "knot" the straps by the ankles nice and tight. If they're not knotted tightly enough they come undone and I have to adjust both the unraveling knot and the strap every 5 minutes (it's hard to undo the knot when it comes undone when already in the tail :(). A good knot has let me go quite a long time without an adjustment and stay tight and comfy. It's only possible with socks on, otherwise said knot hurts. I don't know how good this is for the rubber of the monofin straps though. It is also hard sometimes to get that "good knot" since I tend to rush to get into my tail and there's plenty of kids watching at the rec pool. :(

But that's all my input!

Naiad Rose
10-21-2012, 12:28 PM
Wow, that's an interesting trick. It's hard to imagine being able to tie a knot in that strap. Is the placement of the knot important for a benefit from the shape, or does it just make the strap able to pull in tighter?

Thanks for sharing the info!

~ Naiad Rose

Koral
10-22-2012, 12:42 PM
I don't understand your question, concerning "from the shape." But I can say all this:

I place my knots right next to the snap by the ankle. Having the knot by the adjustment part of the snaps (the place where you pull the strap tighter and take off the strap alltogether, I lack a better word) keeps the straps from slipping and loosening as you swim because it catches on the on-off adjustment snap thing. (I feel like Ariel just shy of saying "next to this thingabob, and over by that doohickey." I fail at words, really!)

I forgot to mention though - you can get the knot really nice and tight when the fin is dry, but after swimming for a little bit, I think the rubber changes shape. I have to get out of the water and shimmy my skin down to untie, tighten straps, retie the knot, then go off on my merry mermaid way again. I've tried everything I can think of to prevent the slipping, since due to the distraction and discomfort of having to adjust my straps, I can't hold my breath as long as I usually could. If someone else has more ideas other than socks and knots, then please share with us. :)