PDA

View Full Version : 2nd tailmaking ---Mermaid Adella but with questions and concerns

Mer_Adella
10-25-2012, 09:53 AM
As most of you have either seen or commented on my pictures/videos of swimming, i am just curious.

has anyone tried to remove sequins and paint the tail after removing all of them????

I am considering taking all of my sequins off (which wont be hard to do since most of the foil is left on the tail without the sequins) and just painting scales on with fabric paints. I like all the scales i have seen and I think that I have the time and the paitence to do it. I'm also considering this because when i do photoshoots i have noticed that some of my sequins scales break, bend, fall off or other problems. I am going to stick with my same tail, I am just wondering if it is possible and how would others go about it.

so

-has anyone ever removed sequins and painted their tail
if so
-how did you go about doing it?

either that OR
considering sewing sequins onto my fluke (yes I said sewing).

Mer_Adella
10-25-2012, 10:11 AM
oh here is some pics and video for those of you who haven't seen it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRM593UAiEo&feature=plcp

Mermaid Saphira
10-25-2012, 12:03 PM
I'm sorry I can't help you, but on a side note..your tail looks AMAZING!! :D lol

Mer_Adella
10-26-2012, 09:26 AM
I found that I have enough fabric to make 2 bathingsuit tops and one bottom. Which is good. I would love to be able to paint a top and the bottoms with the lumiere paint in scales and then do a top with sequins sewn on to match my tail now. Iwill post pictures as i start to cut out my pattern so everyone can learn how to use their "extra" fabric and make a top by hand :)

Mer_Adella
10-31-2012, 04:06 PM
Got the paint yesterday for my bathing suits I'm so excited to make them now I gotta find a pattern and what type of tips I want to make

Mer_Adella
11-08-2012, 09:55 AM
I am considering just gluing on the remaining sequins i have that i didn't use from before to fill in those "gaps" on my tail...what do you think? fill in gaps or leave as is?
i am also considering reshaping my fluke, i love the shape but i feel its too long for my body and tail....either i will cut down the fabric so it just starts and ends at my monofin or actually cutting my monofin into the dolphin shape. which i am leary about doing because my man will have to use the power tools cus i dont lol

Mermaid Saphira
11-12-2012, 12:05 PM
I really like the way your tail looks with the gaps...there is just something so beautiful aabout it. :) Either way, it's your choice

Spindrift
11-12-2012, 12:29 PM
I think the painted swimsuits are a cool idea. I like the gaps from your tail - if you fill them in it might look overdone. Ultimately it's up to you though. :)

Mer_Adella
11-12-2012, 04:05 PM
Well like i said i am just more worried about the kids saying "why do you have gaps?" but i can easily cover that up by handing around some leftover "scales" and giving them to kids as a gift saying "here is a scale off my tail for you" .

the painted swim suits are going first to myself and then i may make some to order

Mermaid Saphira
11-12-2012, 04:10 PM
Well like i said i am just more worried about the kids saying "why do you have gaps?" but i can easily cover that up by handing around some leftover "scales" and giving them to kids as a gift saying "here is a scale off my tail for you" .

the painted swim suits are going first to myself and then i may make some to order

I just may takeyou up on this offer ;) lol

Mermaid Danielle
01-10-2013, 02:42 AM
I like your tail the way it is, and agree with Spindrift. And your 'extra' scales idea is really cute :)

Mer_Adella
01-31-2013, 02:55 PM
I noticed after my 3rd photoshoot that a lot of the sequins are coming off but the film staying on. This is getting upsetting for the fact that its creating more of a "gap" and doesn't look as good as it did.

Seriously going to consider removing the sequins i have, painting the whole tail, adding glitter, and most likely sew some sequins on over the painted scales in various spots.

Mer_Adella
02-07-2013, 05:13 PM
I learned how to remove e6000 from fabric....going home to remove all my sequins. And then I am going to paint scales.

Mermaid Danielle
02-07-2013, 08:25 PM
Good Luck!

Spindrift
02-08-2013, 12:39 AM
How did you learn to remove e6000 from fabric? Did it work?

Mer_Adella
02-08-2013, 10:22 AM
How did you learn to remove e6000 from fabric? Did it work?

Google...its a handy thing :) There was a forum from "ice skating moms" that talked about how on a few of her daughters costumes the had glued sequins, swarski crystals, and other things with e6000 and didn't like the costume afterwards. She said that Goo-Gone works wonders..but forewarns to do a swatch test first. If you have a light colored piece of fabric, the yellow goo-gone will stain. Another woman said that lighter fluid works the same way with no staining. Just make sure that you wash and wash afterwards.

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten around to removing the sequins just yet. I have a meeting tomorrow (Saturday) with a local scuba shop and he might want to see my tail in action. Therefore, I decided that in case I get to swim...I might as well not start taking it apart.

drucilla
02-09-2013, 04:13 AM
Goodluck I'm sure it will look great :)

Mer_Adella
02-14-2013, 11:54 AM
Started removing sequins a few days ago. I had glued each one on. Layering some over others for the "scale" look. Mind you I have been in the water 3-4 times now. Many photo shoots. And moving my tail from one place to another. Some sequins popped right off! Others had to be gently pulled while holding the fabric. None of these sequins destroyed the fabric, however they did leave the glue on the fabric. This doesn't bother me as the glue spots look like scales. And they can be painted over. When I glued them, I put glue in the middle of the sequin. A lot. So idk

shimmygoddess
03-24-2013, 03:55 PM
the e 6000 is waterproof right? I am considering using that next time to make a more waterproof tail. The one I am making now, I am using more as a prop and just hot glued the scales to the tail. I am thinking if I used the e 6000 it would have been better

Mermaid Pickles
03-24-2013, 08:59 PM
I got the e6000 quickhold stuff for cosplay and used it on part of my mer-top that I made. I know the quickhold stuff is waterproof, and I think the normal e6000 is. But all I know about is the quickhold stuff, really.