PDA

View Full Version : plus size mermaid artical

EnidDarkWater
10-25-2012, 09:07 PM
Granted I have seen other plus size mermaids before...http://www.curvymagazine.com/fashion/models/plus-sized-mermaid/

Koral
10-25-2012, 09:09 PM
"First" pft. "First that the media knows about," anyway.

EnidDarkWater
10-25-2012, 09:15 PM
Thats kinda how i feel but she is pretty and i love that inked mermaids with things other than floral/tribal looking stuff are comming out of the kelp work ;) not that i'm against those kinda tattoos but I have a cemetery and stuff on me and not being uber skinny has made people frown alot.

AniaR
10-25-2012, 09:31 PM
They look great, but yeah there's been plus sized mers forever. They aren't the first

MermaidBrittany
10-25-2012, 09:37 PM
Oh i know, I saw this and found it rather insulting :/ Labeling strikes again. If your bigger then the so called "average" people never let you forget it. Its sad really.

EnidDarkWater
10-25-2012, 09:48 PM
Well I'm happy to see alot of the bigger girls are stepping forward into the lime light and feeling ok with the fact they are big and dont have to be a stick thin girl

MerAnthony
10-25-2012, 10:17 PM
I think it's alway good to see a woman with some meat on her bones. When you have women like twiggy. I think that is WAY to thin even for my taste.

NadiaF
12-12-2012, 03:17 AM
I think it's alway good to see a woman with some meat on her bones. When you have women like twiggy. I think that is WAY to thin even for my taste.
I totally agree with you!

Nemefish
12-12-2012, 05:13 AM
cant say anymore than..... HELL YEA!!!!.... that is all... :3

Winged Mermaid
12-12-2012, 06:55 AM
When it comes to the media they don't know what's going on with mers and the community, so that they say "the first" doesn't surprise me. Not insulting to me becuase of that IMO. I'm always just glad to see positive coverage of mers :) To me they look average weight, but then again they're probably going by fashion model sizing. Either way, much respect! I think they look awesome! Also in case anyone doesn't know, there's a page for Tattooed Mermaids on FB: http://www.facebook.com/TattooedMermaids?fref=ts

I can also confirm that skinny people do get picked on. I've been there earlier in my life, though I've certainly filled out since then. I've also seen it happen to people who that's their natural body shape and it stayed that way even after their bodies matured fully. I've seen people have to go through so much stress becuase others will circulate rumors about thinner people having eating disorders or doing drugs to be like that. People talking badly about people and calling them a "skinny bitch" and saying because they're thin they're a bad person. Usually those people are the ones who are above average :/ Hate is hate no matter what the reason, and it needs to stop. I think accepting bigger sizes is a great thing, but it needs to go the other way too! I love the "love your body" campaigns that cover both spectrums. Often people don't realize there is that other direction that still gets discriminated against.

The weight topic is one that keeps coming back in this community. I agree with Raina, and I've said before, that it's not about "skinny" or "fat", it's about healthy. People can live a healthy lifestyle and still be under or over weight, but at that point I think the scale is not the important thing.

Merrow Fair Isle
12-12-2012, 07:49 AM
I am now and most likely will always be plus size. I 100% support the body acceptance movement happening right now. Too many women and girls areso convinced that thin is the only way to be happy, and as such are delaying thier lives and puting dreams on hold until that magical, far- off day when they will be that perfect weight. It makes me sad. They feel un-worthy because on the whole society has deemed them unattractive, sub-standard, and un- loveable. Even more disturbing are the overly cncerned health gestapo that come out of the woodwork when a proud plus size steps forward and is brave eniugh to say " I like me." You see comments about how un-healthy it is...how concerned they are for that poor fat womanIs heart, blood sugar, and family who will be left grieving once the obiously selfish fatty kills herself with food. It's still harassment. It's still bullying...just made socially acceptable by softening the blow with psuedo concern and a smiley. I have also found that in most cases those so actively critical of the heavier set, proud wkmen , are ghose that feel most threatened by them.

December 19th marks my 3rd anniversay, and to this day I can remember happily announcing my engagement and having 4 family members email me congratulations along with info of an " awesome nutritionist" or diet plan that yhey thought " I might be interested in." I had a co-worker tell me in a lunch line that they were " surprised to not see me in the line for the salad bar considering my upcoming event...after-all, a picture lasts forever." my response : " EXACTLY!! It's my wedding so I fully intend to take up the entire frame". She didn't speak to me much after that.

These mers are beautiful! And happy!

SeaGlass Siren
12-12-2012, 10:50 AM
This is kind of a controversial opinion... Bear with me, you don't have to agree with me.
Im all for body acceptance ... Unless its obesity because it's unhealthy. For instance, my sister is overweight and its not good for her health( and she wasn't before), but shes always like "you should accept me for who i am not what I look like"... Yeah fine thats great u have a lovely personality, but that shouldn't be an excuse for you not to take care of yourself. But that's just my opinion.

You can be chubby but still be healthy, that's great! Sometimes its genetics! If you cant because of an illness thats fine too! sometimes those things happen and there's no way to fix that, so of course accept it and love yourself more. But sometimes things like these sends the wrong messages to the ones who don't have illnesses and can take care of themselves if they choose to.

As for thinness, as I've said before, I'm all for body acceptance, except now let's change the obesity statement to "unless it's anorexia/extreme diets because it's unhealthy". im relatively thin but before I was pretty chubby too and it was deemed unhealthy for my height so I took the time to take care of myself because I love myself. Is that do wrong? No it's perfectly fine!
But it is certainly different story when someone has to be bulimic/anorexic and that is also unhealthy. And there are also girls who are just naturally and extremely thin but no matter how much they eat, they can't get any meat (true story bro, a high school friend of mine is like that).

So now that I've said the above, I'll finish off with "why is everyone picking on the skinnies? The fatties being picked on is an oh-nono, but picking on the skinnies is perfectly fine?" You don't want the skinnies bullying fatties but fatties are bullying the skinnies.
How is that fair? Bullying is unacceptable yes, but you are doing exactly that.
Ok there's my 5 sand dollars on the topic. Please don't be offended.

Back on topic, congrats for her.

SeaGlass Siren
12-12-2012, 11:07 AM
Is it so wrong of me to think like that? :s

AniaR
12-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Andrea I think you raise good points, and I still don't see these mers as plus sized. It seems like there are two very polar views in the plus size world, and I think you illustrated them very well. I was attacked on my tumblr once by people who felt I needed to view plus size a certain way. As soon as I did that, the other group came in and attacked.

I think what it boils down to, is live your life, be kind to everyone, and strive to be HEALTHY whatever YOUR healthy is. I am currently heavier than I have ever been. I don't like it, I'm not comfortable. But health wise? It's not impacting me in a negative way in the slightest. If anything I've seen my immune boost as a direct result of it. So I'm trying to learn to love my body because it seems like despite my best efforts, it's not changing.

SeaGlass Siren
12-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Andrea I think you raise good points, and I still don't see these mers as plus sized. It seems like there are two very polar views in the plus size world, and I think you illustrated them very well. I was attacked on my tumblr once by people who felt I needed to view plus size a certain way. As soon as I did that, the other group came in and attacked.

I think what it boils down to, is live your life, be kind to everyone, and strive to be HEALTHY whatever YOUR healthy is. I am currently heavier than I have ever been. I don't like it, I'm not comfortable. But health wise? It's not impacting me in a negative way in the slightest. If anything I've seen my immune boost as a direct result of it. So I'm trying to learn to love my body because it seems like despite my best efforts, it's not changing.

Thankyou. I just feel *maybe too* strongly about it. :<

malinghi
12-12-2012, 01:57 PM
I'll finish off with "why is everyone picking on the skinnies? The fatties being picked on is an oh-nono, but picking on the skinnies is perfectly fine?" You don't want the skinnies bullying fatties but fatties are bullying the skinnies.

I don't want to be rude, but I'm not aware of bullying towards thin people being an actual problem. You've actually been discriminated against for being thin?

If so I've very sorry to hear that, and I agree that no one should be bulling anyone. Although generally people claiming that a typically disadvantaged group is now in a position of power and are being abusive usually comes off as a little crazy. I'm thinking of people who use terms like "feminazi" and "reverse racism", and the men's rights movement.

Shivice
12-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Malinghi, I can say yes people bully skinny people. I can say this because I have been teased all my life for being skinny, still am. I have been called a beanpole because I am skinny and tall. Anorexic, bolemic, a twig. There was also you should eat something so you can get some meat on your bones. Why don't you go to the gym to get some muscle on you. You're so skinny, I should invite you over to my house so you can actually gain weight and get some fat on you.

I agree that no one should be bullying anyone. Being a person who has been bullied, it hurts when people don't understand family genetics, or their family's background. People need to start thinking before they say anything to another about their body type.

SeaGlass Siren
12-12-2012, 02:46 PM
I don't want to be rude, but I'm not aware of bullying towards thin people being an actual problem. You've actually been discriminated against for being thin?

If so I've very sorry to hear that, and I agree that no one should be bulling anyone. Although generally people claiming that a typically disadvantaged group is now in a position of power and are being abusive usually comes off as a little crazy. I'm thinking of people who use terms like "feminazi" and "reverse racism", and the men's rights movement.

Yes I have :/ but may I ask... Disadvantaged at what exactly? Both parties bully each other that's the main point I'm driving at

And Hey well if that makes me crazy then I must be crazy lol. .. Totally irrelevant here for a second: People actually have terms like feminazi? 0-0

Winged Mermaid
12-12-2012, 02:56 PM
When it comes to the media they don't know what's going on with mers and the community, so that they say "the first" doesn't surprise me. Not insulting to me becuase of that IMO. I'm always just glad to see positive coverage of mers :) To me they look average weight, but then again they're probably going by fashion model sizing. Either way, much respect! I think they look awesome! Also in case anyone doesn't know, there's a page for Tattooed Mermaids on FB: http://www.facebook.com/TattooedMermaids?fref=ts

I can also confirm that skinny people do get picked on. I've been there earlier in my life, though I've certainly filled out since then. I've also seen it happen to people who that's their natural body shape and it stayed that way even after their bodies matured fully. I've seen people have to go through so much stress becuase others will circulate rumors about thinner people having eating disorders or doing drugs to be like that. People talking badly about people and calling them a "skinny bitch" and saying because they're thin they're a bad person. Usually those people are the ones who are above average :/ Hate is hate no matter what the reason, and it needs to stop. I think accepting bigger sizes is a great thing, but it needs to go the other way too! I love the "love your body" campaigns that cover both spectrums. Often people don't realize there is that other direction that still gets discriminated against.

The weight topic is one that keeps coming back in this community. I agree with Raina, and I've said before, that it's not about "skinny" or "fat", it's about healthy. People can live a healthy lifestyle and still be under or over weight, but at that point I think the scale is not the important thing.

Winged Mermaid
12-12-2012, 03:04 PM
People actually have terms like feminazi? 0-0

Yep. I can't even count how many times I've heard that term. *shakes head* Then again I grew up in the Appalachia area. There are a lot of close minded people around here, unfortunately. :/ I think it was meant to be used only for women who say they're feminists, but take it SO overboard that they end up discriminating against men instead of just wanting equality. Thus, "feminazi". People just started using it for feminists in general though to insult and disempower their causes.

SeaGlass Siren
12-12-2012, 03:31 PM
0-0

Merrow Fair Isle
12-12-2012, 11:13 PM
I am against bullying full stop...body acceptance isn't the same , in my opinion anyway, as the FAT acceptance movement. And while I completely agree that being overweight CAN lead to health issues, in many cases it doesn't . My point iss what business is it of an outside party to make that call? The same goes with skinny women. Absolutely!! Tellling someone they " need to eat a friggin' cheesburger" is JUST as hurtful as telling someone else that they should lay off of them.

It's all body shaming. Fat or skinny, it's about someone zoning in on a physical difference of an individual, then taking aim, and firing. My issue is that body shaming has become a socially acceptable form of bullying, but hidden under the guise of concern. In most cases the outside observer has no genuine concern for those they comment on. Best case scenario is they do worry about the health of the individual in question, but thier opinion on the matter was neither required or solicited. It's okay to be cruel as long as it LOOKS like caring, right?
WRONG.

If the skinny, or heavy person that an individual feels the need to comment on hasn't asked for an assesment, just assume it's not required. My message to all remains true : Live your life, not thiers.

Mermaid_Aryana
12-12-2012, 11:35 PM
No one in that article appeared to be plus sized. By fashion model standards, yes they are plus sized. But since whence did mermaids have a size criteria? I know there are "mermaid models", but it stands apart from the fashion industry so why is the article even relevant?

Mermaid Wesley
12-12-2012, 11:37 PM
SO MUCH YES.^^^ I have seen both sides in the past few years actually. My ADHD Medication kills my appetite and everything basically tastes like cardboard when im on my meds. In freshman year, i wouldnt eat much for this reason and my friends would poke fun at me and say that I look anorexic. I really didnt. you could see my ribs, but i was at a healthy weight. My appetite picked back up when i joined a swim team sophomore year and i was fit but not thin-i just dont have the body type, short torso and wide ribs. whatever. I was so happy with my body. Then I quit swim and started college aaaaannnnd freshman 15 haha. i recently went home and my friends constantly tipsy grandmother was like "oooh so you've put on some weight huh?" I laughed it off but i was all sad... i didnt think you could REALLY tell. I miss my old body :( but as soon as I get off my lazy butt and start swimming again, preferrably in a mermaid tail, I can get back there. Anyways, my point is- body shaming of any kind is not okay. I have only experienced a taste of each but it feels like (pardon my french) shit. So be whatever size makes you happy, and if you cant, be happy with the size and shape you are. We are all different and beautiful regardless of the dimensions of our flesh. Dont let anyone tell you different

Mermaid Annariea
12-12-2012, 11:58 PM
andrea, i completely agree with what you said earlier.

and as someone who has been very thin their whole life (well, so far), YES. thin girls (and guys probably too) get picked on. so many people have told me "oh my god youre so skinny, eat a cheeseburger". im like "I EAT MORE THAN MY BOYFRIEND WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME?!"
recently, ive started getting a little fluff. barely, but it all seems to go to my butt/thighs or my pooch (you know what i mean, girls). I HATE IT. i dont mind my butt so much, since my boyfriend seems to like it >.> BUT THE LITTLE POOCH IS DRIVING ME CRAZY. i dont weigh a lot, im 5'2" and about 120lbs, but im so used to being more around 105-110, which was healthy and attractive to me.
ive been really thinking about working out, both to lose weight and gain some muscle. i feel like 120 would be a perfect weight for me if it was in muscle rather than pudge xD

but yeah. no one really "bullied" me, but sometimes their teasing hurt my feelings. now its my stupid pooch. -_- i wanna get rid of it.

Merrow Fair Isle
12-13-2012, 12:47 AM
I agree totally, Annariea...I am pro ALL BODIES. Body acceptance as a whole. Not just fat acceptance. I, admittedly, was speaking from my own experiences being "kindly bullied" as a plus size as it's the only experience I have personally dealt with in terms of body shaming. But I stand just as strongly against the same behavior towards thin, tall, short whatever. No one should feel they have the right to destroy anothers possitive self image because it differs from thier ideal.

SeaGlass Siren
12-13-2012, 07:40 AM
It's kinda difficult for me to say about kind bullying, but there are people that genuinely care. Ie family. It really depends on who's talking though no?

Merrow Fair Isle
12-13-2012, 02:09 PM
It's kinda difficult for me to say about kind bullying, but there are people that genuinely care. Ie family. It really depends on who's talking though no?

No, not really...unless they have directly asked you for your thoughts on the matter. In fact continued un-solicited commentary on body is MORE hurtful coming from family, this is from years of experience wth it. While the intention may be good, the result is often still the same...you feel judged, shame, embarrassed, angry, with the added bonus of feeling betrayed in a sense by someone you trusted to accept you for YOU. It' s like being stabbed by your best friend....and because they are family it's hard to just erradicate the negative person from your head or your life. If you are genuinely concerned you can mention it in a loving way, but after you're heard and thise concerns are out in the open, DROP IT. The fact remains that it's thier life and thier job to adress it. They have to want it for themselves. Your constant reminder that they aren' t good enough in your eyes does more to derail than affirm. It builds far more walls than it does open doors.

Make no mistake...I am not condemning healthy communication. I am speaking to the unhealthy. Healthy comunication can very easily become toxic, however, when boundaries and feeling aren' t respected...and that turn from healthy to harassing may be missed by someone overly focussed on getting thier point across.

With that having been said, if on a REAL level you fear for a genuine and immediate danger to the person's LIFE , that is another story...if someone is in obvious life threatening danger, get together with family and certified interventionist and do what you have to do. If you're not concerned enough to take this step, or at the VERY least sincerely consider this step, that may be a pretty good indicator that after your initial profession of concern, it should be left alone.

SeaGlass Siren
12-13-2012, 02:17 PM
Different perception i suppose. My parents telling me to keep at a healthy weight is one thing... But they say it weirdly. I'm sure they have no intention of hurting your feelings... if they did hurt your feelings. If its a friend or a complete stranger that's one seperate issue. But when it's family u kinda have to consider...

Merrow Fair Isle
12-13-2012, 02:58 PM
It's fine to mention and teach children about healthy weight, absolutely. But dealing with adults,as stated before: mention the concern, and let it lie. It is the personal choice of the recipient to " have to" consider it or not.
I understand you are saying consider the source, but the source needs to consider the individual as well. My point is that words cut. A knife has the potential to cut just as deep whether being wielded by family and friend as it does being wielded by a stranger ...but the SCAR that wound leave can differ greatly. Intentional or not.

If the individual is happy how they are with a possitive self imge/ self esteem, then nobody- family or otherwise - has the right to tarnish that perception. Size 2 or size 22, everyone deserves to shine and feel effing fabulous about themselves, everyday, without exception.

SeaGlass Siren
12-13-2012, 04:19 PM
Words can hurt.... if you LET them hurt.

Merrow Fair Isle
12-13-2012, 04:27 PM
Words can hurt.... if you LET them hurt.

True...but not everyone has a super-human ability to shrug it off. Assuming that ability of somone may make the sayer more comfortable , but doesn' t make them any more right in doing so.

Mermaid Dottie
12-13-2012, 06:06 PM
"First" pft. "First that the media knows about," anyway.
I know, right?

The only reason I'm not content with the way I look right now is because I've learned what healthy is on me. but, I'm not too terribly frustrated because it's still just baby weight. and now that I can swim again, I'll be back to my proper, healthy size in no time. ^_^
I love my body between 150 and 170(I'm 5'x5"), but mostly I love it when I feel good instead of lethargic, and when my clothes fit, instead of being too baggy/too tight.

Mia
12-14-2012, 02:32 PM
I have several issues with the article, but I will say this; when i was just getting into the concept of mermaiding, I stumbled upon a mermaid who was plus sized, looked good, and got gigs despite her weight. Her success was the reason I joined Mer-Yuku. Saying that this is the first plus-sized mermaid pisses me off because it's dismissive of everyone who did do it 'first', and of everyone who has been doing this since before the rise of the mermaids in popular culture.

Naufra
02-10-2014, 08:14 PM
Healthy comunication can very easily become toxic, however, when boundaries and feeling aren' t respected...and that turn from healthy to harassing may be missed by someone overly focussed on getting thier point across. ^THIS. I realize this thread is dead, but this sentence resonates with me on so many levels. I lost a friendship that was very important to me over exactly this. It wasn't about weight or size, but it was exactly this. I miss that woman to this day, but I just couldn't take it anymore.