PDA

View Full Version : Making tails fade into your skin!

Mermaid Petronella
10-28-2012, 05:58 PM
The number one issue I have with tails is that I want them to fade into my skin so it looks real. Here's a tutorial I made on how to do this;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55KDZLE4cGs&feature=plcp

Please let me know what you think. (This is for fabric tails and dry events)

Winged Mermaid
10-28-2012, 06:40 PM
Pretty cool! Nice work!

MermaidSaku
10-28-2012, 07:55 PM
nice tutorial i will have to try this someday

MerAnthony
10-28-2012, 08:16 PM
That was good I might have to try that.

Coradion
10-29-2012, 12:55 AM
I just have an old speedo that I added a layer of clear silicone to. It fades in pretty well that way.

Mermaid Annariea
10-29-2012, 01:00 AM
holy crap. that was awesome. :D

Mermaid Petronella
10-29-2012, 05:26 AM
Thankyou very much! :) Here's the one I made for the fabric most fabric tails are made
of;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFekry6ZMRc&feature=plcp

Mer_Adella
10-29-2012, 08:30 AM
that is pretty sweet :) what kind of paint did you use to make it stick to your skin and not come off in the water ?

I think it would be awesome to use nude leotard and wear it under the tail and add paint/scales to it to give that look too maybe if it works

Mermaid Petronella
10-30-2012, 03:19 AM
I just used normal paint, it didn't come off but I'd assume with swimming it would. However I read online that to make the paint waterproof you use this method;
Mix 1 qt. skim milk, 1 oz. of hydrated lime & 1/2 tsp. water into a large bowl & mix.1 tsp. of powdered tempera paint & cornstarch into seperate bowl. Then mix both bowls together. Apply antiperspirant to areas where you are going to apply paint to make the paint waterproof. After the paint dries, spray a thin coat of hairspray to make the paint more water-resistant.

Using nude leotard is a great idea! You could use fabric paint then! I've also tried using bubble wrap as that was the 1st ever idea I heard of how to make the tail fade, however I found it didn't work that well. I may still make a tutorial on it.

Mer_Adella
10-30-2012, 08:56 AM
i know that leotards can come in spaghetti straps, halters, and strapless so you could sew it to your tail (so it will stay in place) and add paint to it to make it "fade" and then almost do the same for the boobage area to create a top too. i will have to try it out :) maybe make a tutorial

MerAnthony
10-30-2012, 12:48 PM
There is one problem Adella I don't wear leotards to swim in LOL.

Morticia Mermaid
10-30-2012, 12:53 PM
I think the leotard idea would be better than painting the skin. You have to be careful how much paint you put on your skin because it can actually clog up the pores, and depending on how much is used, it could slowly suffocate you (I know, you think I'm nuts, but a certain amount of oxygen IS absorbed through the skin)

Mermaid Mako
10-30-2012, 01:21 PM
You could also use a fabric called power-mesh, they use it for a lot of fancy cut-outs in belly dance and ballroom dance costumes, and it comes in various "nude" skin tones. Since it's basically spandex blend you could probably make the top part of a fabric tail in it and then hide the seams under sequin scales? Now I'm just day-dreaming...lol

Mer_Adella
10-30-2012, 03:38 PM
NO mako that sounds like a great idea :)

MerAnthony
10-30-2012, 03:46 PM
It would make more sence than a leotard. Using the power-mesh

Mermaid Petronella
10-30-2012, 11:43 PM
I have used fabric paint on stockings, that works pretty well too, but doesn't fade as much as actually using paint.. And Mermaid Lexia (http://mernetwork.com/index/member.php?1321-Mermaid-Lexia) I don't think you are crazy, I don't usually draw or ink anything on my skin! I washed the paint off very quickly after the photos and put moisturiser on :) However I mix a lot of water with the paint and only a small percentage is actually the paint.

Ashe
11-08-2012, 07:14 PM
You are such a great artist! Guess that's probably why your username is EverythingArt haha! I'm so going to try this if I ever get a photoshoot :D

hay_31
11-08-2012, 09:32 PM
I am in the process of making a silcon and latex tail, the fins will all be silicon (sculpting the tail fin out of clay at the moment) and the body of the tail will be neorpene covered in a thin layer of latex then I will make reasonably sized latex scales (so there is some flexibility and lasting) and attach them using latex (as latex will bond to itself well), I have thought about fading it up into my skin tone. You could attach a fine fabric on the upper edge of the tail, then add a colour close to your flesh tone (silicon pigements mixed) and paint it onto the fabric, you would need to do fine layers so the silicon doesnt run. You could also do that with latex, add in acrylic paints close to skin tone and bulid it up on the attacted fabric only having a few fine layers of latex on the top edge so it is fine where it meets your skin.

I am basing a fair amount of my tails colour design on a Australian tropical marine fish that i have seen when up on the barrier reef called "The Six bar AngelFish", I wanted something that was still beautiful and would look ok for a male, or 'merman'.

Elle
11-08-2012, 10:14 PM
I am basing a fair amount of my tails colour design on a Australian tropical marine fish that i have seen when up on the barrier reef called "The Six bar AngelFish", I wanted something that was still beautiful and would look ok for a male, or 'merman'.

That's really cool, can't wait to see it :)

hay_31
11-09-2012, 03:29 AM
Thanks Elle :)

Mermaid Cascada
11-09-2012, 07:59 PM
Ooooo! Coolio! :D

Mermaid Petronella
11-13-2012, 03:55 PM
Yes @hay_31
Your idea souds amazing, can't wait to see it! :)

hay_31
11-14-2012, 05:13 AM
Thank you both, still sculpting the tail fin at the moment. I haven't measured and cut my neoprene or brought my zip, sculpted my scales or other fins. I think when you base a design on something that already exsits you bring fantasy and reality together more. In the end your result is more believable and do a water proof body makeup to go with it. Anyhow that's my 2 cents.

Mermaid Petronella
11-15-2012, 02:44 PM
That's so cool! I tried doing one with bubblewrap (I read it online somewhere.) Wasn't really that good at 'fading' however it did give look better then having a straight edge like most fabric tails.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJX94ffCb1Y&feature=plcp

MerAnthony
11-20-2012, 05:57 PM
look at this video she has a one peice outfit on and it is so cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=rLwbZtVfi-k&feature=endscreen

mermanjr
11-20-2012, 06:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DAXeQvIjOY&feature=g-upl

Well i love the way my tail blends in with my skin very nicely

Mermaid Petronella
11-20-2012, 06:53 PM
WOW Mermanjr, where did you get your tail from? It's amazing!! Great video!

lasserine
11-20-2012, 08:39 PM
WOW Mermanjr, where did you get your tail from? It's amazing!! Great video!

Looks like merman Jesse

mermanjr
11-20-2012, 11:06 PM
Looks like merman Jesse

Actually it is a mermaid creation LLc by merman jesse tail

https://www.facebook.com/MermaidCreationsByMermanJesse?fref=ts

MermanJesse
11-20-2012, 11:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DAXeQvIjOY&feature=g-upl

Well i love the way my tail blends in with my skin very nicely

Pause the video at 2:58.

I can't believe it myself!

Merrow Fair Isle
11-20-2012, 11:14 PM
The tail is fab and I applaud your use of the theme from"Knight Rider"! Bravo all around.

devilkitten1
11-21-2012, 12:01 AM
I like how your dorsal fin stays upright. And it really blends perfectly. And Kudos on using the Knight Rider theme in the video! That was awesome, I thought I was imagining it at first!

Merrow Fair Isle
11-21-2012, 12:21 AM
I like how your dorsal fin stays upright. And it really blends perfectly. And Kudos on using the Knight Rider theme in the video! That was awesome, I thought I was imagining it at first!

I 100% agree with this. Jesse has amazing architecture in his tails. My husband ,who had never considered owning a tail in tgecpast, saw Jesses work yesterday and imediately said " Now THAT is a bad-ass tail. I would wear one from that maker!! No question..you want me to mer with you, then theres my tail." Coming from my hubby, that is as high praise as it gets!

MerAnthony
11-21-2012, 09:10 AM
Well then Isle it's time to get you hubby a tail . LOL