PDA

View Full Version : Starting My First Tail! Advice?

MermaidKallan
08-05-2011, 01:51 AM
I'm trying to make my first silicone tail. I thought about using latex, but I heard it was bad for your skin, bad for the environment, and doesn't last as long as silicone. After intense and long nights of research, I think I have an idea of what to do. With lots of tools, a costume maker (myself), a tools, building products, etc expert , and a senior person who knows everything about building projects , I think I can finally try a silicone tail.
Here's what I plan on making it out of:
Silicone (Any recommendations of the type?)
Spandex (I hear you can use this with silicone since it's not as harsh as latex. You can, right??)
Monofin (Of course. Possibly going to cut it a bit. This is going to be my biggest problem, because nowhere in my location sells them. I will probably end up buying online, because it's my only option. I can get everything else I need for just about free, through my mom and my grandpa, but I nearly have no money for the monofin. So I can't begin production until the monofin is ordered)
Metal Netting (For the scales. I thought of using fishnet tights, but metal seemed like it would work better)
Paint (Anyone have any idea what kind would work?)
Silicone Spray (Have no idea what kind to use)

Paint: I already know the procedure I'm going to take, except for the paint, since I don't know what kind to use or what color design. I'm thinking a lighter green color with turquoise/teal/aqua/silver accents, and airbrushing it on. Then using silicone spray to seal it. This is roughly my plan for painting, assuming I find paint that will work on silicone.

Fluke: I have absolutely no idea how to make the fluke. I was thinking of making a large, slightly over-sized fluke with almost tattered edges, that will pretty much be just a bit jagged. Since I want the tail to look realistic, I want those vein things in it, but I haven't a clue how to go about doing that.

Tips, advice, etc are greatly appreciated~~~

Spindrift
08-05-2011, 11:09 AM
I would not suggest trying to make a silicone tail on your first try, especially if you don't already have a clear idea of how to proceed. If your mom is a professional SPFX artist she would probably be able to make better recommendations than us. From what I know about silicone, you need to use molds (and that means making clay models - which is how you make "the vein things") since you can't make a silicone tail the same way you make a latex or ALEX one (by coating it on a "sleeve" and them imprinting patterns on it). I would also assume that if you were to paint silicone on spandex it would seep through the fabric and just glue your fabric to whatever is underneath it (floor, newspapers, etc).

However if you insist: most of your questions can be answered by going through the forum's archives and by looking at other people's posts.

I'll only put in answers that might be harder to find or may not be answered yet. Silicone can't be painted, it must be pigmented, unless you use paints that are also based in silicone like Psycho Paint.