PDA

View Full Version : Non-Fish Maids?

angie
11-02-2012, 09:49 PM
I love mermaids, and was a synchronized swimmer for 6 years. I cannot bear the thought of completely leaving the water, and I am getting into cosplay... It just seems to fit.

I have read a TON of fantasy/mythology, and I know that there are several other fantastic creatures with the upper-bodies of huumans and the lower bodies of something else. On land there are satyrs and centaurs, for example. There are even more possibilities in the water! Ursula from the little mermaid was half octopus, and the selkies (seal women) of northern Europe.
I really like the idea of being a selkie. Because seals are mammals, it would explain a lot of the joint bulges in the knees and stuff in a seal tail. Furthermore, (because I am self concious of my stomach), selkies transform by putting thier seal skins on and off. I came up with a one piece that is inspired by a leopard seal.

The two differences that would distiguish it from a mermaid are that a) Seals do not have scales, so I could skip the whole texturing process other tail-makers go through. And b) seals actually have two separate flipper feet. I am not sure whether a lateral monofin would be appropriate, or two modified swim flippers. Also, if the fin was two separate flippers, how would I keep my legs together? If they are not kept together, they would easily come apart and strain (or rip) the fabric.

Unrelated to selkies are just some other ideas I came up with that are not strictly fish...
Eel-maid (I think an electric eel would be really cool)
and
Squid-maid (where the two long tentacles would be the persons legs, possibly with diamond-shapped flippers. The other tentacles could be attached around the waist)

Please respond with any thoughts, suggestions, questions, anything! Im just putting these ideas out there to see if they can float!

Elle
11-02-2012, 09:54 PM
I think a shark tail would be quite interesting (I love the idea of that big dorsal sticking out of the water). but the fact that a shark's tail goes left to right instead of up an down, I think there would be the same issue with the eel tail. While fintastic ideas, the practicality is uncertain. I guess we'll have to test out swimming at the waist instead of with the legs :)

angie
11-02-2012, 10:08 PM
So here are pics of some of my ideas. Im not the best artists, but I hope I get the idea across

Selkie one piece7400

And eel girl7401

angie
11-02-2012, 10:12 PM
I thought up the eel tail as a joke on my friend. Shes not crazy about water, so I like it mostly as a concept. Of course, that problem is easily fized by turning the whole thing sideways. I just posted the sketch. Its easy with the eel because they are basicly semetrical top and bottom.

Elle
11-02-2012, 11:40 PM
You could consider a Kuhli Loach. It's an eel like fish, so you'd be able to stick a mono-fin in it for the sake of movement

Aquatarian
11-02-2012, 11:50 PM
I've actually seriously thought about doing a selkie tail. I like how your design covers the torso.

I've also thought about the seal flippers. I think bi-fins would be good,just to decorate them like flippers. And as far as stretching the fabric I was worried about this too. The only solution I could think of would be to create a sort of "sock" in the shape of a tube to fit around your ankles. That way, it will keep your legs together and keep most of the stress from the outside fabric. Using separate fins will also allow you to move the fluke separately like a real seal, not to mention it would be less expensive.

And I like the idea of the eel-maid. I've come across them in different media but it never occurred to me to design a tail like that. :)

angie
11-03-2012, 11:10 AM
So what fabric would you suggest for the whole thing? I was looking at neoprene for the tail, but I think it would be too hot for the top. I could use swimsuit material, but it would probably be too thin to hide the heels of the flippers. Also, would just 2 flippers give enough lift in the water? Without a monofin?

angie
11-03-2012, 11:35 AM
You could consider a Kuhli Loach. It's an eel like fish, so you'd be able to stick a mono-fin in it for the sake of movement

Actually, I just realized you could put a monofin in that design. It would be pointy on the bottom, and not fluke shaped. It could be wider than the feet, so it would give some lift. Cover the whole thing with fabric and attach the side ripple thingsto blend the outer edged back into the tail body.7411

Aquatarian
11-03-2012, 12:21 PM
So what fabric would you suggest for the whole thing? I was looking at neoprene for the tail, but I think it would be too hot for the top. I could use swimsuit material, but it would probably be too thin to hide the heels of the flippers. Also, would just 2 flippers give enough lift in the water? Without a monofin?

I think it would be good to start with neoprene. I think using a swimsuit material would be a bit thin (at least for my personal taste).

Try to keep in mind seals have blubber and fur that make them larger and hide their bones and make them look... thick? lol.
So I think using a thicker neoprene would be a good idea. I doubt you would get too hot swimming in it though. :P

And as far as separate fins, you should be fine. There are plenty of mers who use separate fins in their tails, so swimming won't be an issue. Besides, monofins are mostly used to mimic a single fish fluke but seals flippers are separated so I think it might look a little awkward or "un-seal" to use a monofin.

-Oh and nice mono design. I never would have thought of using a pointed monofin for an eel tail. haha

Azurin Luna
11-03-2012, 03:24 PM
My latest mermaid tail design has a spade bladed fin and two tentacle like appendages next to it. I still need to finish the drawing though
http://mernetwork.com/index/attachment.php?attachmentid=6345&d=1347699533

Ashe
11-03-2012, 05:04 PM
This is sounding really interesting! Can't wait to see a finished project soon! I've been thinking of making an Orca tail, as are many others, and whale's aren't fish so that follows the theme. Yep that's all i got haha! ;)

spottedcatfish
11-04-2012, 05:05 AM
Ooh I'll be looking forward to seeing some things made from these ideas. I may even create a seal-tail too. I've always loved selkies!

angie
11-04-2012, 07:30 AM
I LOVE your tail design!

angie
11-04-2012, 08:49 AM
My friend just came up with the idea for a kelpie. I'm picturing that as a horse with a fish tail. Fish tails are easy, but how would you add horsy elements to a persons top. (Btw my friend is a guy)

Sherl
11-04-2012, 09:34 AM
My friend just came up with the idea for a kelpie. I'm picturing that as a horse with a fish tail. Fish tails are easy, but how would you add horsy elements to a persons top. (Btw my friend is a guy)

Well the myth about kelpies is that they turn into guys to seduce ladies on land...maybe your friend could start with long long hair, and maybe greenish body paint? Not too greenish though, just a slight sheen. And add some seaweed in the hair as well as randomly drape it around his upper body. How about all-black contact lenses to give that "bottomless, deep freaky look"?

roamingmer
11-04-2012, 10:05 AM
Hmm turn into girls to seducethe guys?
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelpie#section_1

Nykur
11-04-2012, 10:05 AM
Naga (Tosro of human, lower half of snake) that could be interesting + look at this movie it has a black eel like tail at 0:43 ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICXiijPt7nw&feature=player_embedded

Toxotes
11-04-2012, 02:49 PM
A Naga would be very interesting. Especially on land... :)

Azurin Luna
11-04-2012, 03:18 PM
I agree, I play a Stein in D&D, that can change into a elf/snake naga or to an elf, brings some interesting game play to it. It would be fun if you could 'walk' around as a naga on land

angie
11-04-2012, 06:42 PM
I agree, I play a Stein in D&D, that can change into a elf/snake naga or to an elf, brings some interesting game play to it. It would be fun if you could 'walk' around as a naga on land

In persy jackson there are serpent women that walks around on two snake tails. I don't remeber what they are called though.

Sherl
11-04-2012, 08:23 PM
Hmm turn into girls to seducethe guys?
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelpie#section_1

Yes, but I have read instances where transforming into guys was more common. The stories can be found on the Internet, particularly the one involving a kelpie, in the form of a man, getting a maiden to comb his hair. Upon finding seaweed in his hair, she flees, and looks back to see a horse chasing after her. Of course, kelpies don't actually have tails, which I should have pointed out earlier. Hippocampuses, or hippocampi, do. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippocamp

Mermaid Kiba
11-08-2012, 03:59 PM
I've never had a swimmable tail but once I do, I'll want it to be a manatee tail. I might try making a one-piece. A rounded monofin will do really well for the manatee paddle, and since they use their paddles so much to help them move around, I'll feel totally in-character using my arms to help me move around under water, too.

Elle
11-08-2012, 09:00 PM
I've never had a swimmable tail but once I do, I'll want it to be a manatee tail. I might try making a one-piece. A rounded monofin will do really well for the manatee paddle, and since they use their paddles so much to help them move around, I'll feel totally in-character using my arms to help me move around under water, too.

As most monofins have a rounded shape, this would probably be pretty easy? Would you go for the grey/brown of a manatee?

Mermaid Saphira
11-09-2012, 09:25 AM
Your ideas are very interesting, angie. I can not wait to see what you come up with, especially if you do the selkie or eel tail! ;)

Mermaid Kiba
11-09-2012, 10:51 AM
As most monofins have a rounded shape, this would probably be pretty easy? Would you go for the grey/brown of a manatee?

Yup, probably more grey than brown.

Mermaid Saphira
11-09-2012, 10:54 AM
If you go w/ the grey you could probably airbrush a tad bit of other colors on so it looks more realistic??

SeaGlass Siren
11-26-2012, 08:20 PM
what about a jellyfish mermaid? *o*

Mermaid Wesley
11-26-2012, 10:05 PM
FYI Ursula is a Cecaelia :)

rivermermaid
11-24-2015, 02:52 AM
I'm planning on making a dolphin Tail, maybe a bottle nose dolphin because they are native to my country's waters.
I also kind of want to have webbed hands. I swim with these paddles on my hands to help with speed in breaststroke so I thought it would be cool to add it to my mermaid look.

Mia
02-21-2018, 02:49 PM
I keep doing concept sketches for non-fish-mermaids. I'm working on the logistics of a cecaelia now, actually, including how to deal with the extra "legs" so that they aren't completely limp or stuffed with floating foam. I'm halfway through the fourth attempt at the tentacle-fins for the feet. I figure if I can make a swimmable cecaelia costume, I can make all the other designs I've been playing with. Sharing some sketches: