PDA

View Full Version : FISH BUTTS NO LONGER SELLS LATEX TAILS!

FishButts
11-05-2012, 05:42 PM
IMPORTANT FISH BUTTS UPDATE! PLEASE, EVERYONE READ!!!

Ok, as of late, my latex tails have been falling apart. I assume it's due the latex just not being the best material for mermaid tails and extensive tail use by the customer. The latex tails are essentially just costumes, not meant for extensive use. Just to "play in" so to speak. I understand my latex tails were great for people on a budget but I can't take hearing that they're falling apart and my customers are left disappointed. I'm not out to take your money and give you the bare minimum in quality and that's how I feel about the latex tails right now. They are great costumes. They look and feel real but they just aren't durable enough to be used as often as you all would like. So as of today I am no longer taking latex tail orders.

But please don't fret! Not only can I recommend you to some awesome alternative tail makers if you're on a tighter budget, I have a surprise in store for all of you! I am releasing a brand new tail that will look identical to the latex tails but be made of silicone instead of latex to guarantee durability for performing and excessive/long term use but still at an affordable price! If I can work out the side seams I will, but I'm not guaranteeing that until I've had some time to do some tests. I will release a photo of the new tail with the pricing and everything by the end of this week. The base price will not exceed $500. I know it's disappointing not to have the affordable latex tails any more but look at it this way, you could be a proud new owner of a full silicone tail without the extreme weight and hefty price tag.

ALSO! If there are any current latex tail orders that would like to upgrade to the new silicone models after you see what they will look like I will offer upgrades for an additional $100. This will cover the silicone needed and the shipping costs and the tails will still arrive by Christmas.

The latex tail orders that would NOT like to upgrade, those tails will still go out and be in time to everyone who has ordered by Christmas.

I appreciate you ALL so much as customers as fans of Fish Butts and I am striving to bring awesome quality tails!

~Sincerely,

Stephanie

www.fish-butts.com
www.facebook.com/fishbuttsforsale

Mermaid Celissa
11-05-2012, 05:51 PM
...This sucks. I was really looking forward to getting one of your gorgeous tails in May, because my parents agreed if I keep my grades 90+ I could get one because of the inexpensive cost. I've taken advantage of my fabric Magictail because I thought I could get a new latex one. If the new price will be over $250, I'll just be one disappointed merchick. Still love ya though, Stevie!

MerZodiac
11-05-2012, 05:54 PM
The same as Celissa. I was on the verge of convincing my parents(they thought even your prices were high) and now I don't know what I'm going to do. Still love your work. :3

Morticia Mermaid
11-05-2012, 06:14 PM
Aw. I heard on facebook. That sucks, But I'm glad you are able to offer another alternative. I can't wait to be able to order one of your Silicone tails :)

Dacora
11-05-2012, 06:15 PM
Im excited to hear you might be making affordable silicone tails!! I cant wait to see what you come out with.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Ashe
11-05-2012, 06:36 PM
I can completly understand why you chose this, but i can just say that i'm just heartbroken. I had JUST convinced my parents to help me out in getting one yesterday. Im just glad that you have the heart to not be in it for the money and making sure that us mers can receive great quality. So, thank you for that.

Mermaid Harmony
11-05-2012, 06:49 PM
I think this is a great decision, and is amazing for us merfolk! Silicone tails for the same price (or lower) that others are doing latex!? Stephanie does some awesome work, and these new tails will last so much longer and will perform better and be fintastic all around.
Dream come true. I'm so beyond stoked about this.

Mizuko
11-05-2012, 06:54 PM
I'm really excited to see the design of the alternative tail! :D At such a good price (a base price of $500!! AWESOME!) they are sure to go fast! :D I'd better start saving! XD

Mermaid Azira
11-05-2012, 06:56 PM
Just as I raised enough money! Oh well. Better keep on saving

Mermaid Allie
11-05-2012, 07:07 PM
SO STOKED. LIKE THIS IS THE BEST DAY OF MY LYFE.

FishButts
11-05-2012, 07:17 PM
Thanks everyone! I'm beyond excited about this decision. I really hate to hear when a tail's been damaged and someone is crushed that their tail isn't in perfect condition anymore. And I'm sincerely sorry to those of you that just convinced parents to buy or help you buy a tail. But I promise you, your parents would much rather you save, or help you save, for the new tails because then they'll know they're not only getting their money's worth but they wont have to email me within weeks of you getting your tail upset because the tail is damaged and/or falling apart. This really is going to make a huge difference in the tail's durability and appearance. And if I'm able, the side seams will no longer be an issue either. I'll be working on that one diligently as well :) I love you all and so appreciate your support on my journey as a new tail maker :D

Ashe
11-05-2012, 07:27 PM
Well, with that being said, I too cannot wait for the new tails!!!

Koral
11-05-2012, 08:38 PM
SO STOKED. LIKE THIS IS THE BEST DAY OF MY LYFE.

DITTO. BUT I WOULD SAY "LIFE," MYSELF lmao <3
I'm just so relieved and happy about this change. I was going around today looking at all the tailmakers because I really don't want to bother right now with making my own tail (which would probably cost bout the same, maybe just a smidgen less).
Health-wise this is amazing too. There are so many people out there with latex allergies. Plus, latex takes soooo long to cure. Now that Stevi is going silicone, I don't have to worry if a hospital asks us mermaids to come visit their kiddos, and I can hang out with my latex-allergic mersister guilt-free.

Great choice!

AniaR
11-05-2012, 08:47 PM
I think this is a smart choice, I really feel this community needs to move away from alex tails. It doesn't matter how talented the tail maker is- there are always going to be certain inherent problems with that material. So I'm happy to see it, and I know bigger and better things are to come!

Mermaid Allie
11-05-2012, 08:54 PM
No side seams?!!? THREE WORDS. DREAM. COME. TRUE.

Mermaid Allie
11-05-2012, 08:55 PM
One question though.... no more tops? :( its a small price to pay losing the tops to get a gorgeous, durable tail, but just wondering! Do you still sell those sticky bra sequin tops?

MerEmma
11-05-2012, 08:56 PM
Wow! I'm psyched. I would love to have a silicone tail for less than $500. I cannot wait for sample pictures! Just, wow! Can't wait. I also agree with Raina that it's a smart choice in the right direction, too.

Ashe
11-05-2012, 09:05 PM
SUPER HAPPY!!!!!!! I cannot believe how amazing this is!!!!! A real silicone tail for under 500?! All hail to Stevi!:hail::hail::hail:

Mermaid Azira
11-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Will you still have it customizable? and with monofins? I have so many questions! The end of the week cant come soon enough!!

Mermaid Azira
11-05-2012, 09:31 PM
Aha! http://www.fish-butts.com/News-or-Reviews.html

Koral
11-05-2012, 10:30 PM
I found a typo, sweetie! On this page. http://www.fish-butts.com/Photo-Gallery.html
"Q: How much do the Partial and Full Silicone tails weigh?A: The Partial Latex Tails weigh 10 to 15lbs and the Full Silicone Tails weigh 25 to 30lbs.

I think you mean "Partial Silicone" :)

Sherl
11-05-2012, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the link merana! It's so great to hear that Fish Butts is going to use silicone!! So awesome :D

Winged Mermaid
11-05-2012, 11:04 PM
THANK GOD! :D No offense to anyone, but it's no secret that I have been anti-tin cure latex for a long time. It just doesn't hold up, and it's not healthy (although that's controversial). Even tin cure silicone holds up better than tin cure latex. Which brings the question- are you using tin cure or platinum cure for your partial silicone tails? Painting under or pigmenting? I'll probably find out in time either way I suppose ;)

Either way, I'm super proud of you! Competition is fierce, but you continue to listen to your customers and improve from their feed back. Even if some people don't like it. I know people seem down becuase the cost is more, but it's worth it to save up that extra money than have a tail that is falling apart before it's time. Much more cost effective, way less stressful!

Also, it seems on firefox, I can't read the website text without highlighting it. It's super light blue on a white background. But on Safari browser it's white bold on black. No idea what's up with that, but I just thought I'd mention it.

FishButts
11-05-2012, 11:38 PM
I found a typo, sweetie! On this page. http://www.fish-butts.com/Photo-Gallery.html
"Q: How much do the Partial and Full Silicone tails weigh?A: The Partial Latex Tails weigh 10 to 15lbs and the Full Silicone Tails weigh 25 to 30lbs.

I think you mean "Partial Silicone" :)

Thank you! :D Fixed it! :)

FishButts
11-05-2012, 11:39 PM
THANK GOD! :D No offense to anyone, but it's no secret that I have been anti-tin cure latex for a long time. It just doesn't hold up, and it's not healthy (although that's controversial). Even tin cure silicone holds up better than tin cure latex. Which brings the question- are you using tin cure or platinum cure for your partial silicone tails? Painting under or pigmenting? I'll probably find out in time either way I suppose ;)

Either way, I'm super proud of you! Competition is fierce, but you continue to listen to your customers and improve from their feed back. Even if some people don't like it. I know people seem down becuase the cost is more, but it's worth it to save up that extra money than have a tail that is falling apart before it's time. Much more cost effective, way less stressful!

Also, it seems on firefox, I can't read the website text without highlighting it. It's super light blue on a white background. But on Safari browser it's white bold on black. No idea what's up with that, but I just thought I'd mention it.

I'm not sure why it's doing that on firefox.. that's weird. I use Google Chrome and it shows up black with white letters. hmm. but thank you for the compliments! :D I'm super excited about this transition :D The latex tails were great for learning but I'm definitely ready to step it up :D

AniaR
11-06-2012, 12:12 AM
I use firefox and it's not doing it to me! I AGREE WITH IONA.

FishButts
11-06-2012, 12:30 AM
Oh! And I'm using the Platinum Cure Dragon Skin :) I don't have any experience with any other kind. What's the difference in tin cure and platinum cure silicone?

AniaR
11-06-2012, 01:01 AM
tin cure = caulking

telzey.amberdon
11-06-2012, 02:23 AM
So much saving up, looks like I will save up more for Merberry.

Mer_Adella
11-06-2012, 08:00 AM
I can't wait Stevi....I was wondering how long it would take before you announced it lol. Good Luck with all the testing :)

FishButts
11-06-2012, 10:57 AM
tin cure = caulking

Oh duh! Lol I've used tin cure latex but not silicone. I hate the latex. Thanks Raina :D

Mermaid Saphira
11-06-2012, 12:14 PM
I was planning on convinicing my parents to get me a latex tail :p But on the bright side, now we can see what you come up with now ;)

FishButts
11-08-2012, 11:40 AM
Hi guys! I know you're dying to see the prototype! It'll be 100% done by this afternoon and posted but for now, here's a sneak peek of the body of it :D Just like the latex tails, only with silicone. It's 100% more durable and you can scoot and sit on any surface you like without destroying your scales! :D And they feel soooooooo cool! And! ABSOLUTELY NO MORE STICKINESS!!! These tails wont stick to anything, including themselves. It's a beautiful thing! :D I'm so excited about these new tails I can barely contain myself!

Mermaid Harmony
11-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Yay! I'm so excited to get mine in 5 days!! Stevi that looks AWESOME!

Mermaid Saphira
11-08-2012, 12:25 PM
^ From what I can see, that tail is looking INCREDIBLE! :D

Mermaid Margarete
11-08-2012, 03:24 PM
I'm so excited!!! I apparenlty perfectly timed my latex tail order cause I'm getting in on your upgrade offer =D

Ashe
11-08-2012, 06:50 PM
Ohmygosh ohmygosh omygosh!!! I really really want one! That is looking amazing!!!!!

Mermaid Allie
11-08-2012, 06:50 PM
Wow thats amazing!!!!!! Like so fantastic ohmygod!!!!!!!! Seriously the second i get the money I AM BUYING one of those. Its beautiful. So, beautiful.

Mermaid Harmony
11-08-2012, 07:24 PM
Actually Saphira, that's her test tail, mine will be done today and tomorrow I think, I'm supposed to get it on monday/tuesday. It's purple, blue, green, silver, with pink tips on my fluke. Gah, I'm stoked! But yah, her test tail is beautiful!

FishButts
11-08-2012, 08:44 PM
One final sneak peek before the final results! And Harmony, I'll be starting yours right after I finish this one but I probably wont have a picture til morning. I'll do my best and I'll still be able to ship it tomorrow :D I LOVE that I know the exact amount of time it takes for the silicone to cure and that it's fully cured, unlike the latex. Whooo hoo! :D

Mermaid Harmony
11-08-2012, 08:50 PM
One final sneak peek before the final results! And Harmony, I'll be starting yours right after I finish this one but I probably wont have a picture til morning. I'll do my best and I'll still be able to ship it tomorrow :D I LOVE that I know the exact amount of time it takes for the silicone to cure and that it's fully cured, unlike the latex. Whooo hoo! :D

Stevi: I think I love you. :-) I'M SO EXCITED! YOU ARE FANTASTIC! I can't wait! GAHHH ::estatic prancing, jumping, dancing etc:: Yay silicone behaving!

Mermaid Allie
11-08-2012, 09:31 PM
It's one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen in my life.

Mermaid Caidence
11-08-2012, 09:32 PM
Love it! Can't wait to see the entire thing. :D

Ashe
11-08-2012, 10:21 PM
Oh get out! This thing is GOREGEOUS!!!!! I soooooo cannot wait to get one! <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Odette
11-08-2012, 10:51 PM
neat!

Gem Stone
11-09-2012, 12:49 AM
I will save up for one now! But until then, my latex tail is still fully workable and I plan on using it til the seams come apart and the scales fall off. Then I'll probably patch it up again. But those new tails look so cool! Now I just have to save up the money...

FishButts
11-09-2012, 03:00 AM
I will save up for one now! But until then, my latex tail is still fully workable and I plan on using it til the seams come apart and the scales fall off. Then I'll probably patch it up again. But those new tails look so cool! Now I just have to save up the money...

Thank you Gem :D I'm so glad your tail is still working good for you!

FishButts
11-09-2012, 03:02 AM
Well, I did not succeed in hiding the side seams and I ran out of thread :( but I'll be posting final photos in the morning and even with side seams, this new tail is awesome :D

Gem Stone
11-09-2012, 07:19 AM
Hey Stephanie, I know your busy and I'm not sure just how hidden my email might be, but do you remember the paint you used on my tail so I can touch it up this winter?

Prince Calypso
11-09-2012, 07:54 AM
so whats the price range for the new tails cause i'm in the market for another tail

Mer_Adella
11-09-2012, 08:28 AM
i cant wait. i am so going to order one of those tails....i showed the pic to my mom stevi and she is super jealous. she is hoping that she and i can start saving so we can go to merpalooza this next summer and she wants to see all the other tails but she is in love with the leopard one lol my mom *eyeroll*

Mermaid Saphira
11-09-2012, 09:32 AM

O wow! Cheetah print EVERYWHERE! <3 My friend would so dig this...probably not as much as me right now, but she would XD

Patches
11-10-2012, 04:01 PM
OoOOoO I can't wait to see a picture of someone wearing this. :3

Mermaid Jessica
11-13-2012, 08:05 AM
A tail that doesn't stick to itself?! :O It's beautiful! I'm hoping I can order mine next week!

Mermaid Harmony
11-16-2012, 01:24 AM
This is my tail, the first partial silicone tail besides Stevi's leopard print one. It comes tomorrow! She's been fantastic, I can't wait to do a review!

Merrow Fair Isle
11-16-2012, 01:50 AM
I am super excited about this. I' m hoping to order one this spring!
Good luck in this new venture!

Elle
11-16-2012, 05:25 AM
This is my tail, the first partial silicone tail besides Stevi's leopard print one. It comes tomorrow! She's been fantastic, I can't wait to do a review!

It's gorgeous. Can't wait to see what it looks like on :)

michellerobison
11-16-2012, 05:20 PM
What part is silicone and what part is latex ? Sorry came into posts late... Do the partial silicone tails hold up to swimming? I'll have to save up a long time for the full silicone,which for me is a motivator for me,since I have to loose weight...

Blondie
11-16-2012, 06:47 PM
What part is silicone and what part is latex ? Sorry came into posts late... Do the partial silicone tails hold up to swimming? I'll have to save up a long time for the full silicone,which for me is a motivator for me,since I have to loose weight...
I think when they say "partial" silicone they mean that it's not a casted silicone tail. It's lined with neoprene. There's not latex in it. Correct me if I'm wrong mers xD

lynsea
11-17-2012, 10:46 AM
Hey Stevi, are you still doing reduced prices for tails without monofins?

Mermaid Annariea
11-17-2012, 01:11 PM
hey stevi, i just thought of something and have a question. hopefully youll see this soon... lol.

is it possible to take the latex off a tail and redo it in silicone? i dont know how latex or neoprene or anything works, so i dont know if thats even plausible... im just curious, haha. (:

Mermaid Harmony
11-17-2012, 02:44 PM
hey stevi, i just thought of something and have a question. hopefully youll see this soon... lol.

is it possible to take the latex off a tail and redo it in silicone? i dont know how latex or neoprene or anything works, so i dont know if thats even plausible... im just curious, haha. (:
Brianna, I don't know if you were planning on doing this, or wanted her to, but Stevi is taking back tails that people want switched out to do the upgrade, and she'll do it for you. I just got my partial silicone one from her yesterday, and it's awesome, doesn't stick to itself, and is durable (thank God, because if I had a latex one, I feel like I would have destroyed it trying to get it on, it was hilarious).
Hope that answers your question!

Mermaid Annariea
11-18-2012, 08:11 PM
Brianna, I don't know if you were planning on doing this, or wanted her to, but Stevi is taking back tails that people want switched out to do the upgrade, and she'll do it for you. I just got my partial silicone one from her yesterday, and it's awesome, doesn't stick to itself, and is durable (thank God, because if I had a latex one, I feel like I would have destroyed it trying to get it on, it was hilarious).
Hope that answers your question!

wow, really?? :D do you know if itll damage the tail at all?
thank you :D im thinking about doing that, because i love my tail, and i want it to last as long as possible! haha. (:

Mermaid Harmony
11-18-2012, 10:06 PM
I don't think it'll damage it, she'll scrape it off, you know her, she wants to do her best and make it awesome, so I'm sure she'll rock it out!

Mermaid Annariea
11-19-2012, 01:08 PM
I don't think it'll damage it, she'll scrape it off, you know her, she wants to do her best and make it awesome, so I'm sure she'll rock it out!

awesome :D thanks, harmony!
and yeah, stevi always makes sure its perfect before sending it (:

Mermaid Miel
11-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Finally! Someone doing a partial affordable Silicone tail. :D
I am soo getting one!

I've wanted a Fish butts tail for ages, but was quibbling over the tin-cure latex. I want something that will last a bit of battering.
Thanks Stevie!