PDA

View Full Version : New Mermaid Top Maker

Mer_Adella
11-06-2012, 01:40 PM
Hello all,

I was just curious if anyone would be interested in someone that made just mermaid tops and accessories. Everyone wants to be a tail maker or is one and that is fine. I don't think that I could handle making tails all the time. So I was thinking about making mermaid tops and accessories for mermaids and mermen....would anyone be interested if I or someone else did this? And I know there are people out there that do make them....I am not dense lol. I was just looking for some advice, support, and everything else.

AniaR
11-06-2012, 02:47 PM
I'd personally love to see some more top makers, the ones I'd like to buy from aren't taking orders currently!

Mermaid Saphira
11-06-2012, 02:51 PM
take a shot at it! I think it's a great idea :)

Mer_Adella
11-06-2012, 03:09 PM
Well its just something that I would like to do ranging from regular bra tops and actual swim suit tops with scales painted on them (cus i mean come on we would like to show our scales even if we aren't in our tails) and then going into silicone tops

Koral
11-06-2012, 05:08 PM
I'd personally like to see some affordable, yet fashionable tops. Oh well, that's why I tend to stick to putting my own together. :) I still say go for it.

Mer_Adella
11-06-2012, 05:16 PM
Oh ya i mean thats why i am thinking of it. I saw one top i really liked but i wasn't going to pay 250.00 for it. so i am just looking around and drawing up some designs then finding materials i could use that would be safe for skin but would basically cover the cost of the materials and give me like 20 in my pocket.

heres what i am thiking of making:

bathing suits (top and bottom) with your choice of color with painted scales
silicone tops (going to keep the designs secret right now)
sequin bra tops

Koral
11-06-2012, 05:34 PM
I know Oceanika provides scale print bikinis, but only in, what... 3 or 4 colors? It would be cool to see more colors sold.

Ayla of Duluth
11-06-2012, 05:45 PM
I know I've been wondering what kind of top to get with my tail, the more top makers, the merrier! :)

Morticia Mermaid
11-06-2012, 06:20 PM
Mermaid Shelly also makes painted scale print swim tops... Just saying. I think the silicone tops would be a good idea though

Ashe
11-06-2012, 06:23 PM
I think you should totally go for it! I'd buy something! :)

Mermaid Allie
11-06-2012, 06:31 PM
I LIKE THIS VERY VERY MUCH DO ITT.

Winged Mermaid
11-06-2012, 08:35 PM
I'm working on that actually ;) I just ordered some beautiful shells for some prototypes! If you make any kind of accessory, make sure to keep ALL of your receipts. I keep all of mine and make a spreadsheet to break down cost for each item. Even (for accessories) cost per each individual jump link. That way I don't accidentally undercharge or overcharge. Depending on the kind of top it can get expensive fast. Over charging is a common issue it seems with tops. I've seen shells with jewels and pearls on them (pretty but nothing special) for over $200-$300. *shakes head*

Mer_Adella
11-06-2012, 09:26 PM
That's the point I am making WM some of the tips are pretty but I am sure that you could make it for $60 and they are selling it for over $150. And I'm not looking to compete with Shelley raven or anyone else I am just wanting to make things an give them an affordable price with different styles. Is that so wrong?

Sherl
11-06-2012, 09:43 PM
I think it's a great idea, not wrong. You'd be giving mers out there more choices, and affordable yet fashionable/unique is what most of them are looking for. Some mers perhaps don't want to spend so much time and money making their own tops so they'd be attracted to the affordability of your services. I say have a go at this, it's a pretty good idea :)

Winged Mermaid
11-06-2012, 10:50 PM
I don't think anyone would tell you that it's wrong! However realize that the standard practice for merchants is to take their base cost for materials, then charge one and a half times or two times that. 2-3x is standard for hand made items from what I've seen. The ones that are super costly are usually charging for their time, so like $10-$15 for every hour they spent on it. So for what most people do, a top that would be $60 to make would be $120 in how the majority of people charge. For higher cost items I like to do 1.5x instead of 2 to make it more affordable- if I can. But some people can't afford to charge that low if they want to keep up with their other expenses. That's why things tend to be so expensive.

Blondie
11-07-2012, 02:59 AM
I've been thinking about doing the same actually xD My mom found my top and she was like "You should sell these!" Hmmm good luck if you start it!

Mer_Adella
11-07-2012, 08:36 AM
I don't think anyone would tell you that it's wrong! However realize that the standard practice for merchants is to take their base cost for materials, then charge one and a half times or two times that. 2-3x is standard for hand made items from what I've seen. The ones that are super costly are usually charging for their time, so like $10-$15 for every hour they spent on it. So for what most people do, a top that would be $60 to make would be $120 in how the majority of people charge. For higher cost items I like to do 1.5x instead of 2 to make it more affordable- if I can. But some people can't afford to charge that low if they want to keep up with their other expenses. That's why things tend to be so expensive.

Oh yes I understand all that....my mother was a seasmstress who made dresses for weddings to sell. I just want to sell things that people can afford. I have no desire to make tails, but I want to make the tops and small accessories that everyone can afford and buy without worrying about "is it the right color that i need?" "is there something similar that is slightly cheaper?" "what if i just want this and not that?"

I want to make this that are customer customizable (if that makes sense) basically you need a black bathing suit with three different paint colors but you dont want design A you want B, oh and can you add these on there? i would be willing to do that for mers just because I know that sometime people will tend to settle with something that they are "okay" with when they can't find exactly what they want.

Mermaid Margarete
11-08-2012, 04:22 PM
This sounds awesome! I'm excited to see what you do!

Gem Stone
11-09-2012, 06:32 PM
I would buy. A new top and few extra accessories can make it seem like a new tail altogether

MermaidSarah
11-11-2012, 05:38 PM
yes! do it!Too many tail makers not enough top makers!I'm thinking about making tops as well!

Thalassa
11-11-2012, 05:41 PM
I'm looking for a maker of a silicone top that covers the midriff. I have a lovely top by Fish Butts, but some people are allergic to latex so I'd like a silicone top to match my tail when I get it. I'd also go for a fabric top that covers the stomach...not many people make tops that cover the stomach. XP I like your ideas!~

seagirls626
11-12-2012, 06:30 AM
Oooooooo! Good idea! Go for it!

Mer_Adella
11-12-2012, 04:01 PM
Update:

I have not ordered the silicone to make some better quality tops. that is on my "to do" list...

but....

i am going to start making custom tops. If you want a top made from shells, sequins, stick on bras, painted, etc or even just a bathing suit top you can PM me and I can draw something up for your approval :) Right now I am just going to take a few mers at a time. So please be patient. I am also going to start making some just to have on hand so incase if it looks like something you would want and it would fit you there would only be a shipping time to wait. so if you have an idea just PM the worst I can tell you is that your on my "wait" list and it would be this long right? always happy to help fellow mers out.

Mermaid Annariea
11-12-2012, 04:16 PM
absolutely!! the more options, the better!

Mermaid Jessica
11-13-2012, 06:25 AM
I was thinking of making tops too! I'm trying to do research on how to mold silicone myself so I could make tops that look like painted real sea shells, but they're really just silicone. That'd be softer and more comfortable than real shells I think. I also want to make tops out of the adhesive bras.