PDA

View Full Version : swimming with the fishes

Firemaid
11-07-2012, 06:33 PM
Soooo,
I had an aquarium approach me yesterday. I've sent along video and photos. The next step is the part where they ask me how much I charge.
I don't know what to do!
I don't want to overcharge, because the place is amazing and I would love to swim there. It would be a dream come true. I don't want to undercharge because it's in another country and travel expenses will be substantial. If it goes well it could turn into a recurring show and I might even have the opportunity to hire other people to preform with me.
what do?
Im kinda freaking out.

Mermaid Celissa
11-07-2012, 06:40 PM
EEEP! So excited for you! Have fun at this gig! Sorry, can't provide anything price-wise.

Ayla of Duluth
11-07-2012, 07:10 PM
Maybe ask AniaR? She's got experience doing all sorts of events, maybe she can put you in the ballpark of a reasonable price. :)

AniaR
11-07-2012, 07:34 PM
I haven't done an aquarium but I can tell you two things

1) Many well known mermaids who perform in aquariums do not get much money. I've asked, but I don't believe I'm at liberty to say who told me so, but it seems to be the same way all around. Shows only last a few minutes a few times a day.

2) The ones who do make more are ones already employed by the aquarium and do others things at the aquarium in between.

I think it's better to look at a salary approach, but try not to be too shocked when I say 200-300$ for a week. Maybe that includes 3 or 4 ten minute shows a day. You may thing you're worth more than that, but I don't think if they call around and ask other aquariums, that they'd be willing to pay much more than that. You could always ask if you could have a fish bowl tip jar out.

Incidentally, we interviewed one of the Florida Aquarium mers for Tail Flip being published dec 1st. I didn't feel it appropriate to ask her pay

Firemaid
11-07-2012, 11:31 PM
They want a "show". Probably more along the lines of an hour than a few minutes. I would fly down and do a paid audition, then if they like it I'll go back with a few other people (2 or 3) and stay for a month. I used to work with the same company as a acrobat and charged $40 a person for about a 7 min show. I know they like to pay per person, which is weird and I hate. I need to set a good price now, because if it works out thats the price I'll be stuck with.
Man. I don't know what to do.

Gem Stone
11-08-2012, 12:07 AM
Wish I could help. Still hope you get it though!

AniaR
11-08-2012, 10:37 AM
Yeah, many of the people I asked flew down and did shows with other mermaids, they went from 10-30 minutes. I believe one of the Ripley's Mermaids is on here, Sorry I can't remember her name of the top of my head but she's here somewhere and had a mertailor tail and I think it's her avatar too if you track her down you could ask her.

MerEmma
11-08-2012, 10:42 AM
I actually just saw a picture of the show Raina mentioned on the homepage. CarolineTheMermaid, I believe it was. Album here? http://mernetwork.com/index/album.php?albumid=434

MermaidSaku
11-08-2012, 11:00 AM
Wow so lucky! : 0

Mermaid Saphira
11-08-2012, 12:39 PM
Lucky mer ;) good luck and have fun!

Sea Pearl
11-08-2012, 01:53 PM
Wow that sounds amazing Firemaid :D Hope you have a great time there!

Lyna
11-08-2012, 03:32 PM
I'll practice with you! Looks like Wednesday's are going to be my day off...

Mermaid Margarete
11-08-2012, 03:47 PM
That sounds really awesome! Kind of jealous (okay, kind of really jealous). I find I often don't charge enough for things cause I'm usually met with a "That's all!? Awesome!" when I quote rates for things (pertaining to modeling). I'd probably ask the company to clarify more as to what they expected from me before quoting them a rate.

Firemaid
11-09-2012, 03:27 PM
Lyna, yes! But where?

BlueMermaid
11-10-2012, 02:01 PM
The way I look at it is, you are pretty much giving up your life for a month, to go and work for them. You need to factor in alot of variables. How often and how long would you be performing? Are they providing you with accommodations? food? travel? What would you get paid for the week if you had a regular job? It should be a similar amount unless you are having to pay for your own accommodations. Most importantly tho, what would make it worth it? Some people might be willing to do it for alot less than others because of the experience they will get, or even just the fun of it! But don't undersell yourself, make what you do valuable!

Firemaid
11-27-2012, 10:29 PM
Well, bought my tickets today! I'm leaving on December 24th (yep christmas eve) to meet the folks at the aquarium. I have no idea whats going to happen but please keep your fins crossed for me!

Thalassa
11-27-2012, 10:34 PM
Good luck, firemaid!

Merrow Fair Isle
11-28-2012, 01:24 AM
good luck, hun!!!!!!

NatalieMermaid
12-11-2012, 11:41 PM
Break a fin! Did you figure everything out? If you want to PM me here or on Facebook we can set up some time to talk, I might be able to offer some advice.