PDA

View Full Version : Introducing: THE MERFOLK CO-OP

Winged Mermaid
11-07-2012, 10:44 PM
In my own venture into the world of online retail, I began to realize a few things about the market of the merfolk community. Selling online is a pain in the fin. As if everything else wasn't hard enough for online marketers, you have to add on the endless fees. On top of those is the fact that mermaiding and merfolk attire and accessories is still a niche market. In my making of the store and accessory list (for this thread (http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?2558-The-Official-Merfolk-Accessories-Store-List)) I came to realize how discouraging it can be, and had to sell things, when you add everything together.

The truth is that most stores only have a few items listed at a time, and some only specialize in a few types of items. This can make promoting and getting constant customers in a problem. Often times items and whole stores get "swept under the rug" of the net, simply becuase they don't have more to offer and therefore don't keep the public's attention. This often keeps people from selling things online because they only have one or two things they want to sell, and they deem it far too much trouble. I've even seen very successful mers who make beautiful and popular accessories give up selling becuase of all the hassle. It didn't seem right to me.

Then I got this idea brewing in my head. What if there was a place where all the merfolk could list items together? Put it all in one place. No dozens of different store fronts, no hassle with promotion, and better yet.. NO FEES. All of what merfolk want, by the community for the community. .. A sea of possibilities.

"Well hell, I'm in this deep. Why not go deeper?" So I bought a domain and got to work. Just as I'm starting out selling things myself, I realize I'm leveling the playing field to a certian degree and possibly sabotaging my sales. But at this point it's not about me- it's about the community, and what I can do for you guys.

So I present to you: The Merfolk-Co Op (http://themerfolkco-op.com/)

A online market place BY the community, FOR the community. With NO FEES.

I'm not miracle maker, so this isn't etsy. It's going to take a lot of work, but I hope to make it a well working machine that will make listing and selling items easy.

Here's how it works:

Email us at TheMerfolkCoOp@gmail.com with your information. This includes different information on your product, information on you as a seller, and pictures for your listing. The form to be emailed to us with this information is located at the bottom of this page (http://themerfolkco-op.com/cms.php?id_cms=1).
We will also ask you for some html codes- these are the "Buy Now" button codes generated in your personal or business PayPal account. Yes, you MUST have a PayPal account, and you must provide us with these codes. This is what allows us to list the item on our site so that the transaction goes directly to you. PayPal even has a tutorial on how to make a "Buy Now" button.

If we decide that your item is appropriate to list on the site we will post your item up on the store front and email you back giving you a link to your listing. When a customer decides to buy your item and clicks on the "Buy Now" button, it will go straight to your PayPal payment page. The money will go directly to you, and you will be responsible for communicating with and shipping the item to the customer. It's that easy! Manage your items and financials through PayPal as you wish, but no worries about fees or store fronts! If you want to list items you MUST read this page and the rules (http://themerfolkco-op.com/cms.php?id_cms=1). For more information see our Terms of Use (http://themerfolkco-op.com/cms.php?id_cms=7) and Privacy Policy (http://themerfolkco-op.com/cms.php?id_cms=6).

Keep in mind that this is entirely new. This may work out, it may not. It's in beta testing, if you will ;)

Tell me what you think!

Mermaid Caidence
11-07-2012, 11:14 PM
I absolutely love the idea! I think it will be a lot easier for everyone to be able to find all of the mermaid accesories and tops they are looking for without the hassle of going to several different places and stores. Hope this works out. :D

Koral
11-07-2012, 11:33 PM
it's like etsy for mermaids. :P

AniaR
11-07-2012, 11:38 PM
AWESOME

Ashe
11-08-2012, 12:09 AM
Dang! This is so awesome!! Really hoping I can use this to sell tails when I get older :). And is it just me, or does it seem like the mermaid community has been having many breakthroughs lately? Hmmm, don't know :thinks:

Sherl
11-08-2012, 12:50 AM
Sounds cool. By mers, for mers. A great platform :)

spottedcatfish
11-08-2012, 04:51 AM
This is Awesome.

Mermaid Celissa
11-08-2012, 07:21 AM
Love it! Can you hold the Sea Grass and Pearl Earrings for me :3 My dad's maxed out his credit card, he said I can order it once he refills it.

Winged Mermaid
11-08-2012, 07:54 AM
Love it! Can you hold the Sea Grass and Pearl Earrings for me :3 My dad's maxed out his credit card, he said I can order it once he refills it.

Thanks for noticing my stuff up there! I figured I'd go ahead and list. It gives other potential listers an idea of what things look like as well :)
I won't hold them (I make very little off of each purchase to keep costs low, so I need all the sales I can get!) but I promise that if you're not the first to get to them I will make you a pair exactly like those! I do do custom orders after all ;) I so look forward to filling your order! :yay:

MerAnthony
11-08-2012, 08:40 AM
WOW !!! That is so cool. An the best thing I can think about it is that it a better price for both the buyer and the seller with no hidden fees.:hail:

Mer_Adella
11-08-2012, 08:48 AM
this is soo inspiring WM its great that you thought of it :) Now it gives me more incentive to start making my tops and accessories :) once I make them, get pictures, I will let you know :) and Kalani is right...so many breakthroughs. I read on a carerrsearch site that mermaiding is up there as a career but they say that the market is plumeting and no one wants mermaids anymore ....luckily someone stood up and said that if the market is plummeting, how come more and more women and men were becoming merpeople?

Mermaid Saphira
11-08-2012, 12:33 PM
GREAT idea! :D

SeaVixen
11-08-2012, 09:01 PM
I really like this idea. I like the idea of not being charged to list stuff and hope it sells to make the money to list back. Makes fundraising better since nothing besides what PayPal takes is being taken away. Its like a yard sale using PayPal haha

SeaVixen
11-08-2012, 09:06 PM
So would I have to keep track of what I have listed and name every listing a different name so I know which thing sold because PayPal doesn't show pictures just the listing name at least through etsy it does. I'm just worried I won't know what sold if I have lots of things listed.

Elle
11-08-2012, 10:17 PM
it's like etsy for mermaids. :P

so it's Mertsy? :)

This is fantastic. I'm hoping to have some left over coin after I get paid, then I'm going to do some shopping!!!!

Nykur
11-09-2012, 08:55 AM
Damn, no tails yet :/

AniaR
11-09-2012, 11:28 AM
I'm just really proud of you Iona and thankful.

Winged Mermaid
11-10-2012, 02:28 AM
So would I have to keep track of what I have listed and name every listing a different name so I know which thing sold because PayPal doesn't show pictures just the listing name at least through etsy it does. I'm just worried I won't know what sold if I have lots of things listed.

Yeah, you would have to keep track of all that. Name it for the listing, then put the same name for the name of the item when you're making your paypal button. If nothing else you can go back to your manufacturer page and look for the name then see what the picture looks like. After that email the co-op to let us know it's been purchased (so we can take the listing down). PayPal also lets you put an item number to the item when you create a button. You could keep a list with your items at home as to what is what. Etsy and ebay listers HAVE to keep lists like that to keep from shipping out the wrong item. We just list the stuff, everything else is up to you!

Winged Mermaid
11-10-2012, 02:29 AM
The Co-op got it's first lister today! Woo woo! Keep 'em coming!

AnnaAbyss
11-10-2012, 03:26 AM
If anyone sells tails on there, I bet they'll get snapped up really quickly. *sob!* :/

Mermaid Saphira
11-10-2012, 08:38 AM
The Co-op got it's first lister today! Woo woo! Keep 'em coming!

:yay: how exciting!

Odette
11-20-2012, 10:07 PM
LOVE it! great job. you are good with computers,Iona.

Winged Mermaid
11-20-2012, 10:27 PM
LOVE it! great job. you are good with computers,Iona.

Thanks! ^_^ And actually, I'm really not! I swear the making and continued functionality of this site and the new site feels like miracle :P

Odette
11-20-2012, 10:51 PM
Thanks! ^_^ And actually, I'm really not! I swear the making and continued functionality of this site and the new site feels like miracle :P
^.^

Mermaid Lorelei
12-04-2012, 12:38 PM
Well, I would love to get myself in on this! When I have the time to start making pieces again, I will definitely be contacting.