PDA

View Full Version : 2012 MerNetwork Secret Santa: General Interest & Discussion Thread

MerNetwork Secret Santa
11-08-2012, 11:38 PM
Hey!
It's that time of year again!

WHO IS UP FOR ANOTHER MERNETWORK SECRET SANTA?!
For those of you who have joined the MerNetwork this year, we had our first Secret Santa exchange last year. If it works out again I'd love to have MerNetwork Secret Santa 2012.

So except for one or two mishaps I thought that the Secret Santa exchange worked out great. I'd love to hear your opinions on what could be done better, and if you'd be interested in participating again.

What went wrong last year:
-One person's gift was completely destroyed in the shipping process and the recipient just got a package of dust, as the gift was handmade.
-One person forgot about the Secret Santa (oceana) and someone didn't receive a gift.

So the only changes to the rules from this year from the top of my head:

-I'm raising the post count qualifications from last year. We need participants that are dedicated.
-Don't send fragile things unless you're absolutely sure they are protected.

Here is an overview of this year's rules:

-You can't spend more than $15 on your gift (this includes handmade crafts, but exceptions may be made if an item is worth more than $15 but is second hand - as in the giver had it).
-If you do spend over $15, don't be upset if you get a gift that cost less.
-Your gift has to be mailed by December 12th - you must be able to commit to this.
-You must state if you are comfortable with being partnered with someone with an international address. (PLEASE TAKE SHIPPING TIMES INTO ACCOUNT!)
-You must be an active user on the forums with at least 20 quality posts (no spam or things like just "lol").
-Accounts made after November 1 will not be eligible to participate.
-No food, anything live, dangerous/illegal, or inappropriate (NSFW).
-Your sign-up address does not have to be your own if you have privacy concerns (use a friend’s name and address, etc) – as long as you can still receive your gift.
-Do not share anyone’s information or real names anywhere.
-Gifts are mer-related!
-If you fail at sending a gift even after you've given your word of commitment, your account will be publicly acknowledged as being owned by a jerk.

Privacy rules and disclaimer are the same as last year's.

Official email: mernetworksecretsanta@gmail.com
You'll be emailing this address for confirmation of sent and received gifts, or if you have any questions/concerns.

Official sign up will be posted in a few weeks, if people are interested and with the OK from the admins.

Here are the threads from last year for reference:
http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?786-2011-MerNetwork-Secret-Santa-General-Interest-Thread (http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?786-2011-MerNetwork-Secret-Santa-General-Interest-Thread&highlight=secret+santa)
http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?948-2011-MerNetwork-Secret-Santa-Registration! (http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?948-2011-MerNetwork-Secret-Santa-Registration!&highlight=secret+santa)

DISCUSS!

Registration is now open!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dFNrWUZRbFpZdGNTYW5zX2RqVS0xdmc6M A#gid=0

Discretion and Liability Agreement
By agreeing to sign up for this event you are agreeing to the following terms:

· All private information of the gift-tee (the person receiving the gift) that will be disclosed (including names, addresses, and photos) will remain private (unshared, un-spammed, and only used for this transaction) unless sole permission from the gift-tee says otherwise.

· If you sign up and don’t send a gift, you will be publicly ostracized and forever known as a person who is unreliable and can’t follow through. Also, people on the forums will generally think of you as a jerk. This is a commitment.

· You cannot hold the organizer responsible for the gift you receive or for any liabilities. This is a community event and I have no personal vested interest or ulterior motive in organizing this activity.

Registration ends on 11:59 pm on Dec 1, 2012 EST (USA).

Mermaid Harmony
11-09-2012, 12:46 AM
So in. Like a crab in a shell.

spottedcatfish
11-09-2012, 01:00 AM
Ohh this looks like fun. I'm in.

Elle
11-09-2012, 01:10 AM
I'd love to :)

Mermaid Luna
11-09-2012, 01:16 AM
I'm totally in. Last year was so fun. ^_^

Mermaid Fenicia
11-09-2012, 02:57 AM
I love to enter this Secret Santa, but as I live in Belgium, can I enter?

malinghi
11-09-2012, 03:23 AM
I love to enter this Secret Santa, but as I live in Belgium, can I enter?

If I'm not mistaken, international people can participate in this.

Also, I'm in.

Azurin Luna
11-09-2012, 06:47 AM
I'm also in :D

Mermaid Momo
11-09-2012, 07:56 AM
I'm in
*・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*・'(*゚▽゚*)'・*:.。. .。.:*・゜゚・*

MerAnthony
11-09-2012, 08:17 AM
I'm in as well.

Mermaid Saphira
11-09-2012, 09:33 AM
don't know if I can right now, but I would like to :D

AniaR
11-09-2012, 11:24 AM
I'm interested, but I can't say "yes" right away because I am still trying to secure better employment. When do you need to know by? I loved doing it last year.

Alveric
11-09-2012, 12:44 PM
I'm in.

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
11-10-2012, 09:02 PM
This year I'm gainfully employed (yay!... at least part time) so even if I'm some ways away for saving up for a tail, I can definitely take part in the Mernetwork Secret Santa (and I've definitely posted enough by now to qualify as well), so count me in... where do I sign up?

Mermaid Fenicia
11-11-2012, 03:51 AM
Sent my mail ;)

malinghi
11-11-2012, 10:59 AM
so count me in... where do I sign up?

"Official sign up will be posted in a few weeks, if people are interested and with the OK from the admins."

I don't think you need to do anything yet. I think later on there will be an official sign up.

Arella
11-11-2012, 11:09 AM
Sounds fun very excited :)

roamingmer
11-11-2012, 11:34 AM
Im not sure how many international mers would be willing to participate; and for international postage from Switzerland it can get very expensive very quickly... Does it make sense to keep USA / Europe / Australiasia seperate?

Ive no problem to send international; but it will limit some things (unless I can organise something from USA to USA). But it wont be hand wrapped from Switzerland.

Elle
11-11-2012, 05:18 PM
our post is cheap(ish) at the moment, they usually hike it up after christmas. I can't speak for any othe Aussie mers. But I know that's what they do where I am.

MerNetwork Secret Santa
11-12-2012, 12:40 PM
Registration is now open!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...0xdmc6MA#gid=0 (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dFNrWUZRbFpZdGNTYW5zX2RqVS0xdmc6M A#gid=0)

Discretion and Liability Agreement
By agreeing to sign up for this event you are agreeing to the following terms:

· All private information of the gift-tee (the person receiving the gift) that will be disclosed (including names, addresses, and photos) will remain private (unshared, un-spammed, andonly used for this transaction) unless sole permission from the gift-tee says otherwise.

· If you sign up and don’t send a gift, you will be publicly ostracized and forever known as a person who is unreliable and can’t follow through. Also, people on the forums will generally think of you as a jerk. This is a commitment.

· You cannot hold the organizer responsible for the gift you receive or for any liabilities. This is a community event and I have no personal vested interest or ulterior motive in organizing this activity.

Spindrift
11-12-2012, 12:44 PM
:D

Mermaid Fenicia
11-12-2012, 01:26 PM
Send my registration ;)

Arella
11-12-2012, 03:41 PM
All signed up :)

MerAnthony
11-12-2012, 05:12 PM
All signed and ready to go:cool:

Elle
11-12-2012, 06:38 PM
All done :)

malinghi
11-12-2012, 07:04 PM
signed up.

Mermaid Momo
11-12-2012, 07:25 PM
Signed up!
*・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*・'(*゚▽゚*)'・*:.。. .。.:*・゜゚・*

Blondie
11-12-2012, 07:49 PM
This is SUCH a great idea! I LOVE THIS!!! I'm in :)

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
11-12-2012, 11:46 PM
Signed up myself... though I'm nervous about what to get/make for whomever I get... though I do have some ideas. Also, are all the send by dates and details available on here?

Mermaid Harmony
11-13-2012, 01:08 AM
All signed up! I'm pretty excited!

Spindrift
11-13-2012, 08:19 AM
Signed up myself... though I'm nervous about what to get/make for whomever I get... though I do have some ideas. Also, are all the send by dates and details available on here?

Do you mean these?

-You can't spend more than $15 on your gift (this includes handmade crafts, but exceptions may be made if an item is worth more than $15 but is second hand - as in the giver had it).
-If you do spend over $15, don't be upset if you get a gift that cost less.
-Your gift has to be mailed by December 12th - you must be able to commit to this.
-You must state if you are comfortable with being partnered with someone with an international address. (PLEASE TAKE SHIPPING TIMES INTO ACCOUNT!)
-You must be an active user on the forums with at least 20 quality posts (no spam or things like just "lol").
-Accounts made after November 1 will not be eligible to participate.
-No food, anything live, dangerous/illegal, or inappropriate (NSFW).
-Your sign-up address does not have to be your own if you have privacy concerns (use a friend’s name and address, etc) – as long as you can still receive your gift.
-Do not share anyone’s information or real names anywhere.
-Gifts are mer-related!
-If you fail at sending a gift even after you've given your word of commitment, your account will be publicly acknowledged as being owned by a jerk.

MerAnthony
11-13-2012, 09:48 AM
When do we know who we get?

Azurin Luna
11-13-2012, 10:49 AM
Signed up :)

Mermaid Saphira
11-13-2012, 11:56 AM

After you have received the present, then your secret santa can reveal their identity ;)

Bellasea
11-13-2012, 04:08 PM
I signed up! I'm so excited! :D

malinghi
11-13-2012, 05:22 PM

After you have received the present, then your secret santa can reveal their identity ;)

I think Vallee was asking when we would be told who we will be sending a gift to. I don't know when we'll find that out, but I think last year it was on December 2nd, so I assume it will probably be sometime around the end of November or the beginning of December.

Mermaid Saphira
11-13-2012, 05:26 PM
I think Vallee was asking when we would be told who we will be sending a gift to. I don't know when we'll find that out, but I think last year it was on December 2nd, so I assume it will probably be sometime around the end of November or the beginning of December.

yeah, we got that all sorted on in the chat ;) lol

spottedcatfish
11-15-2012, 04:32 AM
I signed up! I can't wait!

Elle
11-15-2012, 04:53 PM

Definitely looking forward to find out who I get. I don't want to start on anything til I know who it's for :)

MerAnthony
11-15-2012, 05:28 PM
Same here Elle but I will not be able to finish mine till I know like you.

NerineArcticMermaid
11-15-2012, 10:10 PM
Im in ;)

Spindrift
11-15-2012, 11:31 PM
I'm excited. There seems to be much more interest this year than there was last year. I hope everyone pulls through! :)

Merrow Fair Isle
11-16-2012, 12:04 AM
Bummer I joined the site too late :( I love this kind of thing! Next year I am totally in.

Have fun everybody!

Mermaid Luna
11-17-2012, 04:12 PM
All signed up. =) I hope even more of us sign up before it starts - the more, the merrier and more creative.

Mermaid Jessica
11-18-2012, 04:39 AM
This sounds like so much fun! Hope I can make 20 posts by Dec. 2nd.

Bellasea
11-18-2012, 08:14 PM
I have been looking and searching for ideas. Now I just need to know who I have to narrow it done and start working on it! :D

EnidDarkWater
11-18-2012, 11:15 PM
I'm all signedup. yay for presents

Merrow Fair Isle
11-19-2012, 01:45 AM
I just wanted to let admins know that in the even of thee being an uneven number of participants that I would be glad to send a gift to someone, even with no gift in return. I signed up for the site too late to officially participate, but would gladly help out if needed. Just shoot me a PM if you need me <3 The holidays for me have always been about giving rather than receiving, and I have already learned so much from you all that it would be a fab way for me to say thanks.

Mermaid Gosalyn
11-20-2012, 10:59 PM
Oooh, how exciting! Sent my registration.

Blondie
11-21-2012, 12:50 AM
I have so many ideas in mind! But I need to know if my secret santa is going to be a dude or dude-ette xD That'll help. I am EXTREMELY excited for this!

Mermaid Harmony
11-25-2012, 10:02 PM
When are we getting our donatee people? Super excited to start working!

Mermaid Gosalyn
11-25-2012, 11:21 PM
When are we getting our donatee people? Super excited to start working!

Since signups are not closed until December 2nd, I'm assuming we will not know who we will be getting until at least then. So at most we have ten days to find, buy, receive and ship presents. That seems to mean that internet shopping may be a bad idea... Hmm.

Spindrift
11-26-2012, 02:27 AM
The 10 days does not include shipping time. But the time needed to ship should still be reasonable.

NerineArcticMermaid
11-26-2012, 03:36 AM
I wish we had more time.. i like to make gifts...

EnidDarkWater
11-26-2012, 03:44 AM
I wish we had more time.. i like to make gifts...
As do I. I've got an idea planned out but just gotta get specifics, I'm hoping who ever I get adds in colors they like :D

Elle
11-26-2012, 04:30 AM
Agreed. I think for next year, we go with the sign up in late October / early November. Then everyone can know who has who by mid to late November and that gives us plenty of time to make things and so that they arrive on time :)

MerAnthony
11-26-2012, 09:19 AM
My project is almost completed. I just need to finish a few things then mine can be shipped out. LOL I see a bunch of fish getting all excited already.:lol:

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
11-26-2012, 04:23 PM
Hmmm... I'm waiting until I find out who my giftee is before I make/buy the gift... I figure it's more personal that way... in the meantime, I can get my other christmas gifts out of the way while I'm waiting for December 2nd, so they don't conflict.

Mermaid Gosalyn
11-27-2012, 12:19 AM
I'm also waiting. I'm afraid of getting something the person will not like if I don't know anything about them.

malinghi
11-27-2012, 01:29 AM
I'm also waiting. I'm afraid of getting something the person will not like if I don't know anything about them.

Yeah, that can be a problem. Reminder to everyone- give lots of details when you sign up so people can think of good things to get you!

Arella
11-27-2012, 03:31 PM
Has anyone gotten who they're giving to yet?

malinghi
11-27-2012, 03:52 PM
Has anyone gotten who they're giving to yet?

Not yet. People will be told who they are getting a gift for after the sign up period ends.

Arella
12-02-2012, 10:02 AM
Okay thanks I was worried I accidentally deleted something :)

Mermaid Gosalyn
12-02-2012, 07:22 PM
Can't wait to see who we're getting!

MerNetwork Secret Santa
12-02-2012, 07:33 PM
Just to let you guys know, REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED.

I've gone through the list of people who signed up to make sure they met all the requirements, and had to take some names off - either because the profile doesn't exist, they haven't participated in the community, or signed up after Nov 2. The other thing I noticed is that some people has changed their usernames since signing up. So if I've deleted you by accident, I'm sorry. Please speak up or you will not be able to participate.

Here are the people who have signed up but were removed from the list:

alice
natty.walz
Mermaid Angel

Mermaid Dottie
12-02-2012, 08:04 PM
Woohoo! So registration is closed, how will we be notified about who our giftee is?
I can't wait to get started on their gift!
Also, as fun as it is to let people know who gifted them, is there an option to keep it a secret longer? Like if I didn't want to reveal my identity ever​?

MerNetwork Secret Santa
12-02-2012, 11:21 PM
I will be emailing you your Secret Santa giftee through the email you provided on the form, once I put everyone's name through the program. It's up to you to tell your Secret Santa who you are when you send the gift. So if you want to remain anonymous, that's up to you. :)

EnidDarkWater
12-03-2012, 01:16 AM
WHOOOOO!!!! Got mine and can say holy cow what a perfect pick for me!!!! mwahahahaha * wonders off into the sewing and crafting room*

NerineArcticMermaid
12-03-2012, 01:54 AM
Got mine but I need an age... Sent email requesting it back....

Mine looks thing don't want to get something too mature...

Maybe next year match up ages too? Or at least as close as possible

Azurin Luna
12-03-2012, 01:57 AM
I got mine too, and I'm glad that I don't have to steer away from my gift idea :D

NerineArcticMermaid
12-03-2012, 02:37 AM
Got info thanks..

Fast reply Woohoo

Elle
12-03-2012, 02:48 AM
This shall be interesting :)

spottedcatfish
12-03-2012, 03:02 AM
Got my secret Santa recipient! Soo excited!

thelocalmermaid
12-03-2012, 03:16 AM
Just saw mine... Excited. Now, how to keep under spending limit??? I just want to spoil them!!!!

Blondie
12-03-2012, 03:21 AM
Oh. Oh yessss :3 I'm excited now. *Sprints off to the interwebs*

Mermaid Fenicia
12-03-2012, 03:25 AM
Got mine to ^_^ I'm going to hurry to finished my makings for this gift ^_^

leeloo
12-03-2012, 03:37 AM
How am I just now seeing this? It looks fun, wish I saw it earlier. Sad mermaid. :(

NerineArcticMermaid
12-03-2012, 03:49 AM
Hehe! I wanna tell so bad ;)

Mermaid Petronella
12-03-2012, 04:22 AM
any possibility for me to join even though registration is closed? I'd love to be a part of it! I only just joined mernetwork!

Morticia Mermaid
12-03-2012, 03:49 PM
I'd love to join up, but this "-If you fail at sending a gift even after you've given your word of commitment, your account will be publicly acknowledged as being owned by a jerk." does not sit well with me. That would technically be called hazing and is actually illegal in most of the US. It would also be considered cyber bullying, which is also illegal

Spindrift
12-03-2012, 04:40 PM
Last year two people didn't receive gifts because people who signed up for this commitment never followed through and there were some disappointed Secret Santa participants. What would you suggest doing if you were to handle the situation?

In addition, all that happened last year was that at the end of the Secret Santa the usernames were posted in the 2011 thread. Since the people in question had already abandoned their accounts, there wasn't much to do about it. And the post didn't call them out on being a jerk. Obviously there are external circumstances where a present can be lost in the mail, or the person typed their address incorrectly during sign up. All that sentence says is that they're account would be acknowledged. If you look at last year's post, no hazing took place.

Morticia Mermaid
12-03-2012, 04:52 PM
Publicly announcing that the account is owned by a jerk is still considered hazing and cyber bullying.

If I were to handle the situation? I would ban said person from participating in any events related to the forum. It would be a much better option than potentially breaking the law.

I am sorry that people did not receive gifts, for what ever reason, but I feel there are better ways to handle situations like that than acting like immature highschoolers who publicly call people names.

Mermaid Miel
12-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Got mine, I'm worried about how short the international postage time will end up being... I would have loved to get mine last week. Oh well... They are going to Love it! ;D

Spindrift
12-03-2012, 05:54 PM
But the posts last year didn't call anyone names. It just said "this person didn't send the gift".
I would think that if you read the thread from last year you -might- think it was handled pretty well. Like I said, no one's feelings were hurt in the end and some very nice people on the forum took on double duty to cover for the people who didn't follow through.

Your idea is good, but there aren't that many events to participate in for that to really be a deterrent, I think. Also, how long would a ban like that last, forever?

This is good input though, I appreciate you writing out your concern.

Morticia Mermaid
12-03-2012, 06:07 PM
I am just thinking that there are already dozens of bad labels and images that come to mind to those outside the forum. Do we really need any more? Potential mers, or people not even of the community, could use statements like that rule to further bash the entire community. I don't want that happening.

Plus, I don't see why anyone is being called names from last year. As it was said "all" gifts had been sent.

Spindrift
12-03-2012, 07:27 PM
Yeah, because some people sent extra presents. Anyway, your point is fair and you did a decent job of explaining your position. I am not sure how someone being called a jerk when you are a jerk is cyber bullying (even though there is no post actually saying that you are a jerk will be made), but it's definitely not one of the more severe issues the community has. Maybe by next year a different approach would have been decided upon.

What went wrong last year:
-One person's gift was completely destroyed in the shipping process and the recipient just got a package of dust, as the gift was handmade.
-One person forgot about the Secret Santa (oceana) and someone didn't receive a gift.

So the only changes to the rules from this year from the top of my head:

-I'm raising the post count qualifications from last year. We need participants that are dedicated.

malinghi
12-03-2012, 07:35 PM
How to respond to people who totally flake out of this, and whether to try to dole out a small punishment through minor public shaming are valid questions.

For what its worth, I don't think publicly announcing the objectively true fact that someone didn't send a gift is that serious or humiliating. Plus its totally avoidable by simply sending a gift. Plus everyone is given advanced notice about the policy, and participation is totally voluntary and optional. In light of all that, I'm not too concerned that someone who chooses to join the secret santa and then chooses not to send a gift will feel like the victim of cyberbullying if their behavior is announced, just like they were told it would be.

Whatever the case, Spindrift has done a great job on the secret santa and I trust her completely. She has total control over all decisions and policies.

Blondie
12-03-2012, 07:50 PM
How to respond to people who totally flake out of this, and whether to try to dole out a small punishment through minor public shaming are valid questions.

For what its worth, I don't think publicly announcing the objectively true fact that someone didn't send a gift is that serious or humiliating. Plus its totally avoidable by simply sending a gift. Plus everyone is given advanced notice about the policy, and participation is totally voluntary and optional. In light of all that, I'm not too concerned that someone who chooses to join the secret santa and then chooses not to send a gift will feel like the victim of cyberbullying if their behavior is announced, just like they were told it would be.

Whatever the case, Spindrift has done a great job on the secret santa and I trust her completely. She has total control over all decisions and policies.

^^^^^^ This. It says clearly that you don't have to sign up, it's optional. Plus it's well known that if you don't keep your end of the deal up, you're going to be pointed out for it.

It's the rules of life I'm going to say. If someone breaks a deal, you sure as hell let people know they were wrong. It's like buying a car at a dealership when they say there's a warranty on the car and then all of the sudden there is no warranty when you need it. You bring that to the press about that. You want people to know that they are not trustworthy in gift exchanges because they don't return.

And I'm not saying the people whose gifts were broken on delivery or officially lost, that's not their fault. I'm talking about people who just straight up forgot/didn't buy a gift.

Ps. Bought my gift xD I'm sooo excited for them to get it!

Morticia Mermaid
12-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Sorry for pointing out something else that people could use to bash the network. I'll just keep my mouth shut from now on since lately all I do is stir things up

malinghi
12-03-2012, 08:40 PM
Lexia, you didn't stir things up. I'm sorry, I didn't mean for it to sound like I was attacking your idea.

spottedcatfish
12-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Mailed my gift out today. Soo exciting! By the way whoever has mine, can you make sure that I receive it before the 14th of December, as I will be out of town till Christmas.

MerAnthony
12-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Mine goes out tomorrow. I hope she likes it.

EnidDarkWater
12-03-2012, 10:02 PM
Phase one of mine has been completed,I'm so guilty of doing a fair amount for people on holidays but what can I say I like giving people things

Spindrift
12-04-2012, 12:05 AM
Sorry if I made you feel bad Lexia. I don't think you are stirring things up, and I think it's definitely something to address - I just don't really know how to right now. I mean it when I say I appreciate your feedback. It is very helpful, especially with the alternative solutions you were coming up with.

Mermaid Gosalyn
12-04-2012, 03:09 PM
I'm so excited! Not 100% sure what to do for the gift yet, but I'm sure I'll decide quickly.

Mermaid Luna
12-06-2012, 11:21 AM
When do we have to mail them by? Because I'm running really low on money right now till my new job pays me, and bills come first. =/

Mermaid Gosalyn
12-06-2012, 04:02 PM
When do we have to mail them by? Because I'm running really low on money right now till my new job pays me, and bills come first. =/

December 12th is the mail by date.

Mermaid Fenicia
12-06-2012, 04:42 PM
My Secret Santa gift is send out ;)

Mermaid Miel
12-07-2012, 04:00 AM
Mailed it this morning... the parcel said 3-10 business days to send it.. but there is no guarantee. I pray it arrives in time.

MerAnthony
12-07-2012, 09:19 AM
MIne should arive today at her house. I hope she likes it.

Mermaid Dottie
12-07-2012, 02:37 PM
Please don't be mad at me, but I accidentally deleted my email containing the information of the person to whom I need to send this awesome gift.
Could you pretty please resend it?

Mermaid Dottie
12-07-2012, 03:10 PM
Thanks So much! That was Uber fast!
I can't wait to send my gift. ^_^

MerNetwork Secret Santa
12-07-2012, 03:17 PM
Not a problem! :)

Arella
12-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Sent mine on Wednesday!

Blondie
12-08-2012, 03:41 AM
I just got what I ordered for my Mer in the mail today. I wanted to throw a couple other things in so it probably won't get mailed until Monday :x

NerineArcticMermaid
12-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Ive got my items picked out just need to go get a nice same shiping package to get it going...

I hope they done mind "hand crafted" and a nice little trinket I picked up over a decade ago.. ben holding onto it for just the right person :D

NerineArcticMermaid
12-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Just got my gift delivered...

Mermaid Harmony
12-08-2012, 04:45 PM
Just sent mine off, the shipping for UPS was going to be 68 dollars ($181 in the box I originally had), luckily I went to the post office and it was $10 there. Almost had a heart attack, and they almost got a gift certificate, I'm glad it worked out :-) Super excited!

Spindrift
12-08-2012, 04:52 PM
Wow that is so crazy :|

malinghi
12-08-2012, 05:17 PM
Sent mine!

Alveric
12-08-2012, 08:53 PM
Sent today! ETA December 22nd. :cool:

Azurin Luna
12-10-2012, 04:20 PM
Gah! My sewing machine broke down and now I have to do everything by hand. I'm working as fast as I can... it was supposed to be done today so I could mail it tomorrow :( I still hope it will get there on time

Mermaid Gosalyn
12-10-2012, 04:28 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't have a magical "Oh this is perfect!" gift to give? I'm not empty handed or anything, but I wish I had a more suited gift...

Blondie
12-10-2012, 05:46 PM
I just mailed my gift out today! I had to stop by the beach to pick up a few things ;) Hope she likes it!

Elle
12-10-2012, 06:43 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't have a magical "Oh this is perfect!" gift to give? I'm not empty handed or anything, but I wish I had a more suited gift...

I know!!! i spent forever trying to make a decision, and even now when I'm finished I'm still second guessing myself.

NerineArcticMermaid
12-10-2012, 07:01 PM
Sent mine out today.. she should get on thursday.. small simple as close to her wishes as possible.. she not easy to shop for!! :)

I hope everyone loves their gifts and that the ideas box helped.

We should make a standard set of things to include next year.. like colors and such...

Mermaid Momo
12-10-2012, 07:08 PM
sending mine out Tommorrow. My partner should get it by wednesday or Thursday.

Bellasea
12-10-2012, 09:28 PM
Sent mine today!! I hope she likes it!! I really tried to incorporate all her likes :D

NerineArcticMermaid
12-10-2012, 10:12 PM
Ugh..just fou n d out my "likes" didnt get sent :(

Pooey....

Oh well stll like my gift..
Not telling from who until xmas ;)
Then everyone can still be sur prised

roamingmer
12-11-2012, 01:26 AM
International postage would have cost more than the gift; so organised something from USA - USA. I miss the ability to add a personal touch but still have an idea or two up my sleeve. I think the mer should recieve this week.

Mermaid Dottie
12-11-2012, 05:35 PM
I got my Gift finished!!! Baby and I will walk down to the post office to mail it in a little while. I hope my merson likes it!

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
12-12-2012, 11:09 PM
I sent the gift for my recipient this afternoon, just in time to be sent out. Should reach her in 3-5 business days.

Blondie
12-13-2012, 04:21 PM
I thiiiiink I got my gift today :) Or unless I just got mailed a random belly dancing top xD
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/Sliver_Shine29/B1C21D1A-08C0-47C4-BE95-9A27702590FF-6204-0000072451AE6911.jpg

Who was my secret santa?! This is AMAZING! I was so surprised by it and it had me bouncing off the walls xD

Mermaid Dottie
12-13-2012, 05:11 PM
I just sent out the gift(a day late due to some car trouble, but I paid for priority, so it should be there by saturday.) and came home to find something fishy in the mailbox. ^_^ I can't wait to open it. :)

EDIT:
So, I really couldn't wait.... THIS IS SO COOL!!!!!!!!
I've actually been looking at these on etsy!
I love it! SO perfect. and Shells and a Sharktooth? You are too cool! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
12-13-2012, 05:37 PM
Wow, you make it look really good, iBlondie! The ring kinda reminds me of Storm from the X-men's original costume for some reason.

http://comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/27306/STORM_first_costume_050511.jpg

Spindrift
12-13-2012, 06:43 PM
@iBlondie: Merry Christmas! :) I thought it might match your new tail, and if not, remembered you liked to belly dance anyway.

Blondie
12-13-2012, 11:19 PM
@Dottie I'm so glad you liked them :) I was SO close to getting your little squirt a knit tail but I saw the following day he already had one. Phew! And I thought the shells would mer up the place a bit xD

@Spindrift It was so funny because I opened the mailbox while on the phone with two of my friends and I was like "I just got a belly dancing top from China apparently" The laugh they got out of that was hysterical. They don't know I started belly dancing so ;) But I went nuts when I opened it!! It does match my tail!! I wasn't sure if it was from someone from the network or not because the address came from China. But when I saw it I was like "Ooooh... Someone knows me!" It's so beautiful. I was actually debating about buying a top or a skirt. Now I have enough to buy a matching skirt :) Seriously one of the best gifts I've ever received. Thank you!!!

Spindrift
12-13-2012, 11:31 PM
No problem! Haha, I'm glad you like it!

EnidDarkWater
12-14-2012, 05:03 PM
EEEE I just got mine! I couldn't hold back on opening it.lol8126

MerAnthony
12-14-2012, 05:47 PM
Pretty. Now I just have to wait for mine to show up, LOL

NerineArcticMermaid
12-14-2012, 07:25 PM
Wow blondie.. that's beautiful....

Enid...that shell box is amazing!

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
12-14-2012, 07:30 PM
This is exciting... I love reading everyone's exclamations and pleasure as the gifts come in... it made me really feel envious last year when I couldn't participate, but now I can :)

NerineArcticMermaid
12-14-2012, 07:38 PM
My gift from meranthony....

Was gonna wait but since others are spilling the beans i might as well too

Only thing that could makebthis gift better woukd be sanddollars lol...im obssessed what can i say....

Oh wait.. its got a bunch in it lol

MerAnthony
12-14-2012, 08:32 PM
I'm glad you liked it. :)

Blondie
12-15-2012, 01:04 AM
Aww pretty keep sake boxes!

Mermaid Harmony
12-16-2012, 02:18 AM
Super stoked, thank you SeaSiren for my gift! I love love love it! I don't have a mermaid hair clip yet so this was PERFECT! I was so excited, it was kind of a rough day, and this made it awesome (that and I'm going to a drag show tonight). Thank you times 100!
Me with my box!!
Yay really pretty and fabulous hair clip and earrings!!

Blondie
12-16-2012, 03:22 AM
Awww Harmony you look SO happy!! And those are sooo cute!

MerAnthony
12-16-2012, 10:51 AM
Harmony it's funny that you say drag show. My gf and I went to a Christmas drag show last night.

Ashe
12-16-2012, 12:19 PM
Oooh! All the gifts are so preeeeety! That top is perfect, Blondie! :)

Elle
12-16-2012, 09:34 PM
I got mine today!!!! It sat on the counter for about 5 minutes before I had to open it!!!!
It's all soooooo pretty!!!!!

I LOVE it!!!
Thank you Harmony!!!

Mermaid Gosalyn
12-16-2012, 10:07 PM
I also got mine today!

Thanks so much Bellasea!

Elle
12-16-2012, 10:45 PM
it's so cute!!! I love little handmade things!

Mermaid Gosalyn
12-17-2012, 03:55 PM
It is so precious, and fits in my hand! :D

Mermaid Miel
12-18-2012, 06:20 AM
I arrived home to 3 Parcels waiting for me! One was a tail that my Sew-bestie was finishing off for me, Second was a T-shirt I had ordered for myself, and the last was my Secret Santa! Yay! Mum threatened to open it for me if I didn't get off the phone and do so myself! lol.
A Beautiful Little Mermaid Ragdoll
8209 8210
And A Manta Ray!
My Plushies!

Lots of thanks to the Queensland Mermaid that was my Secret Santa.

Elle
12-18-2012, 07:02 AM
I had you MeriaMiel. I'm so glad you like them :)

Bellasea
12-18-2012, 08:55 AM
Mermaid Gosalyn- I am so glad you like it!

AniaR
12-18-2012, 11:38 AM
I love all these gifts I am so bummed I couldn't afford to do it this year!

roamingmer
12-18-2012, 11:49 AM
You should have said - im sure MerSanta could have helped out (some had made offers to be multiple donars). Seems a bit late to arrange for arrival in Halifax before Christmas... :(

MerEmma
12-18-2012, 11:51 AM
I love all these gifts I am so bummed I couldn't afford to do it this year!

I know! Same here. =\ Mainly it was just COMPLETE lack of funds, but I'm not sure how my parents would like giving my address out online either (although I've done it successfully on other sites :P). Hopefully I can participate next year, and by then maybe I'll know the members better, too.

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
12-18-2012, 01:43 PM
I actually got mine yesterday, but didn't get online (I got a new kindle fire for my birthday last weekend, and have been somewhat eagerly using it, since I've been kindle-less for a couple months).

Thanks so much, Mermaid Hamant! I had seen Lost Voices in the bookstore, but held off on getting it despite how cool it had sounded because I was trying to be thrifty... getting it as a gift was wonderful, and I'm looking forward to reading it (after I get through all my kindle ebooks, of course). As for the netting, I'm now coming up with all kinds of ideas for vests and hip wraps and the like. Great ideas :)

Mermaid Dottie
12-19-2012, 11:34 AM
@Dottie I'm so glad you liked them :) I was SO close to getting your little squirt a knit tail but I saw the following day he already had one. Phew! And I thought the shells would mer up the place a bit xD

Yeah, his past 2 tails have been crocheted. his next one, though, is fabric. ^_^
Yes, The earrings are amazing. THANK YOU!
ans I've never seen a shark tooth in person. I didn't know that they were serrated. 0.o wow!

Spindrift
12-19-2012, 05:02 PM
This is so cute! Thank you Secret Santa! I love the crocheted Ariel. I'm thinking of putting all my mermaid makeup in it and displaying it/hanging it somewhere. :3

Blondie
12-19-2012, 07:31 PM
Ooohhh that is too cute! That's a perfect bag for make up on trips!

Mermaid Harmony
12-19-2012, 11:33 PM
Elle,
I'm glad you like it!! I thought all the beads were mermaidy and cool looking. :) The necklace you can take in the water (I have one I made and it's been everywhere with me), but I would not submerge the treasure chest, you could I suppose, I used E6000 glue, but I wouldn't suggest it. :-)

Azurin Luna
12-20-2012, 12:07 PM
I got my secret santa gift all the way from Thailand :D I love the cute little mirror, I can add it safely to my make up and remove the broken mirror.
here is a picture :D
http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s425/AzurinLuna/th_b5c2b213116408c66448cbf1d172857e.jpg (http://s1051.photobucket.com/albums/s425/AzurinLuna/?action=view&current=b5c2b213116408c66448cbf1d172857e.jpg)
Thank you :D

Mermaid Fenicia
12-20-2012, 01:47 PM
I got my Secret Santa from the Netherlands. Thanks Azurin Luna for the lovely Mena ^_^

Azurin Luna
12-20-2012, 01:55 PM
I'm glad you like her :D

Mermaid Margarete
12-20-2012, 03:04 PM
I got my gift today!! Thank you SO much!!! It's this beautiful mask with wonderful thought and meaning behind it! I'll be sure to post a picture as soon as I can!

I hope my seceret santa gets to my mer on time. I had an international mer so to save on shipping I purchased something online closer to them.... I feel bad it's lacking the personal touch of something homemade like the one I got, but I hope they still like it!

Mermaid Margarete
12-20-2012, 03:05 PM
OH! You got it, Azurin Luna! XD YAYS!!!
Glad you like it!!

Azurin Luna
12-20-2012, 04:07 PM
Yes, I did, I like the picture on it alot :)

Mermaid Dottie
12-20-2012, 06:29 PM
I'm glad you like it Spindrift!
Lochlan kept grabbing at Ariel while I was trying to stitch her onto the seabed. He likes the red hair. ^_^

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
12-21-2012, 05:11 PM
I got my gift today!! Thank you SO much!!! It's this beautiful mask with wonderful thought and meaning behind it! I'll be sure to post a picture as soon as I can!

I hope my seceret santa gets to my mer on time. I had an international mer so to save on shipping I purchased something online closer to them.... I feel bad it's lacking the personal touch of something homemade like the one I got, but I hope they still like it!

I'm glad you like it, Mermaid Margarete... I was a little worried that the mask wouldn't survive the stresses of shipping, so I'm delighted to hear that it made it intact... and even happier to hear that you like it so much. I figured it fit a lot of your personality and likes. If you do post a picture, could you send me the link as well? I'm afraid that in my rush to make sure you got it, I didn't take any pictures of my work.

Mermaid Momo
12-22-2012, 07:08 PM
I actually recieved mine on Wednesday. Thanks LocalMer! i love it! it's a dinglehopper hair clip and a starfish necklace, I've been trying to upload a photo of them but i'm having a bit of a problem, but i'll keep trying.

MerAnthony
12-22-2012, 08:31 PM
Still waiting for mine. Not here yet. :(

Arella
12-23-2012, 05:28 PM
Me too :(

MerAnthony
12-24-2012, 12:09 PM
My mail has come an gone today an I know there is no mail on Christmas. I did not get a gift from secret santa before Christmas. :(

roamingmer
12-24-2012, 12:27 PM
Nooo...., poor you.

A short aside: I sent items from Switzerland to USA (not Mer-Santa related) and it took 10 working days (2 full weeks) for them to arrive (last saturday). So if it was an international postage then it could just be stuck...

Ive not had confirmation that the gifts I sent to the specific mer were received - hopefully the mer was waiting to Christmas before opening them... (like me)

Mermaid Momo
12-24-2012, 01:35 PM
I hope my partner got mine. As we're only a state away from each other I wouldve thought that it would have arrived. I'm hoping I put enough stamps on it :(

Winged Mermaid
12-24-2012, 09:47 PM
Super stoked, thank you SeaSiren for my gift! I love love love it! I don't have a mermaid hair clip yet so this was PERFECT! I was so excited, it was kind of a rough day, and this made it awesome (that and I'm going to a drag show tonight). Thank you times 100!
Me with my box!!
Yay really pretty and fabulous hair clip and earrings!!

I'm glad you like them! But actually, your Secret Santa just used my store, since they weren't the crafty type- your Secret Santa was actually Malinghi :)

Alveric
12-24-2012, 11:17 PM
I got a bottle opener that's actually a cute mermaid. I like her.

Thank you Secret Santa!

MerNetwork Secret Santa
12-25-2012, 06:40 AM
Sorry to the mers who haven't received presents yet. That's sort of the reason why the signups ends so early, so that the gifts have time to ship. Next time I guess I'll have the deadline a week earlier.

Here are the stats so far, based on my records:

The mers who have not received gifts yet are:
MerAnthony
spottedcatfish
rayeblonde
bellasea
freshwater mermaid

1 of the 5 missing gifts has not been shipped yet - the person who is supposed to send it has been in email contact with me and is trying to send it as soon as possible. For the person who is receiving that present, your Secret Santa is supposed to get in contact with you to explain the situation. The remaining four people's gifts are still on their way as far as I know, since I've received confirmation from the Secret Santas that they have mailed the gifts. Of those four, 2 are coming from overseas.

roamingmer
12-25-2012, 08:14 AM
Well roamingmer recieved a nice steelyeye span cd and accidential mermaid book - thank you secret santa. Since there are 2-3 names on the envelope it is a little hard to say thankyou directly - but you know who you are

Thank you for my gifts; thank you for organising and have a great Christmas! Our swiss snows replaced by 18c temperatures... Almost late spring!

Mermaid Miel
12-26-2012, 04:33 AM
I'm kinda upset that my parcel hasn't arrived yet as the postie said 3-10 days... and that was 19 days ago.

spottedcatfish
12-26-2012, 06:52 AM
I was on vacation, and I just got home tonight. This T-shirt made my day of travel worthwhile! Thank you to my Secret Santa, whomever you are, for sending this all the way from South Australia. Merry Christmas!

Mermaid Luna
12-27-2012, 07:16 PM
Thank you SO much RoamingMer, for the locket necklace, lovely card, and chocolates! ^_^ Their arrivals were very wonderful surprises.

MerAnthony
12-27-2012, 07:49 PM
Still waiting :(

AniaR
12-27-2012, 08:04 PM
Just wanted to remind people if your gift is coming from oversea customs can hold on to it for a while. Mine came from Australia to Canada and I think I got it 2 weeks after newyears last year? Even though they shipped it at the beginning of December. Try not to get so upset, they just said 2 of those gifts are from overseas so that's why they're taking too long. Just be happy you have something on the way! :)

MerAnthony
12-28-2012, 12:05 PM
Today I got my secret santa gift in the mail. An it was from Mermaid Fenicia. The stuff is so cute. I love also the little mermaid doll. Plus the blue H2O neckless. Thank you.8459

AniaR
12-28-2012, 04:52 PM
lovely!!!

AniaR
12-28-2012, 04:55 PM
Ahhh Luna your gift is lovely

Mermaid Margarete
12-28-2012, 06:05 PM
I'm glad you like it, Mermaid Margarete... I was a little worried that the mask wouldn't survive the stresses of shipping, so I'm delighted to hear that it made it intact... and even happier to hear that you like it so much. I figured it fit a lot of your personality and likes. If you do post a picture, could you send me the link as well? I'm afraid that in my rush to make sure you got it, I didn't take any pictures of my work.

Ahh! Sorry, I've been super busy with the holidays and moving. I have New Years day off and will (most likely) be home then (I'm house sitting until then... and hopefully I don't pass out somewhere New Years Eve...) and will be sure to post a pic and email you link!! I really do love what you did with it! I proudly show it to my friends who come over and they think it's totally me ^^
Also - I totally thought "scales" when I saw the ribbon you used =)

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
12-28-2012, 08:33 PM
Ahh! Sorry, I've been super busy with the holidays and moving. I have New Years day off and will (most likely) be home then (I'm house sitting until then... and hopefully I don't pass out somewhere New Years Eve...) and will be sure to post a pic and email you link!! I really do love what you did with it! I proudly show it to my friends who come over and they think it's totally me ^^
Also - I totally thought "scales" when I saw the ribbon you used =)

Wow, holidays house sitting AND moving? That is enough to make anyone busy. I am so happy that you're so pleased with the mask... when I saw the ribbon in the store, I thought the same thing, and HAD to use it for your mask.

Mermaid Miel
12-28-2012, 10:19 PM
So Glad you liked it spottedcatfish! :D I was your secret Santa.

spottedcatfish
12-29-2012, 12:24 AM
So Glad you liked it spottedcatfish! :D I was your secret Santa.

Thanks, MeriaMiel.

NerineArcticMermaid
12-29-2012, 01:46 AM
I wish I had taken pictures of my gift to mermaid hamant... she messaged me on fb letting me know she got it.

Mermaid Margarete
01-01-2013, 07:12 PM

PICS! ^^

Mermaid Saphira
01-01-2013, 07:16 PM
^ lovely mask! :)

Mermaid Margarete
01-01-2013, 07:34 PM
Half of the mask is an orca the other half a snow seal - they're my two favorite marine animals ^__^

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
01-02-2013, 10:58 PM
Wow, thanks for the pictures! I'm glad they turned out so well, and you look great wearing it :) I was a little worried about the seal whiskers (I have to figure out which of my brushes does what as far as paint strokes go, and that one splayed a bit more than I was hoping... still, I'm pleased with the end result and delirious that you like it)

MerAnthony
01-03-2013, 08:24 AM
NIcely done.

MerNetwork Secret Santa
01-08-2013, 02:44 AM
Waiting on the confirmation of two more gifts (to and from one person)! Much better than last year, I think. :)

Arella
01-10-2013, 03:11 PM
I want to say thanks to my secret santa Mermaid Gosalyn for the wonderful present! I love turtles :) And sorry for typing my address wrong and causing the hassle! It's great :) 8885

Mermaid Gosalyn
01-10-2013, 03:36 PM
Yay! I'm so glad you got it, and that you like it! <3

Bellasea
01-14-2013, 03:49 PM
I received my gift from RayeBlonde today! I was really worried because the box said fragile and I heard rattling while carrying it from my mailbox. But, all was fine. She gave me 2 necklaces, a cute little penguin some very pretty shells, and an awesome octopus ornament. Thank you so much RayeBlonde! :D

Blondie
01-15-2013, 01:15 AM
Awww that's so sweet!!

Ashton
11-29-2013, 10:10 PM
I just signed up! Ideas running through my head!!!!! I am excited!