PDA

View Full Version : Practise Advice

Mia Merode
11-09-2012, 02:14 PM
I have another question (sorry!)

For practising in a local pool, would it be better to purchase a monofin or a tail?

I'm leaning towards getting a proper, large monofin - then I can create a tail around it and it's also less obtrusive if I'm in a pool with other swimmers.

On the other hand, I could get an inexpensive practise tail that has a smaller monofin already included then I could get used to having the full tail before I either make or buy a proper one.
xx

AniaR
11-09-2012, 02:22 PM
I have a monofin just for practising :) it was a good investment for me. You don't need a large one, the smaller ones are made specifically to help you learn!

Gem Stone
11-09-2012, 07:30 PM
I just kinda of jumped right in as far as that goes. I didn't do anything practice and just figured it out. Yeah, I almost drowned the first time I swam with a tail, but hey, live and learn

SeaGlass Siren
11-18-2012, 09:42 PM
I have a question related to the swimming. I'm just starting to swim but I can't seem to be able to put both my leggs together to swim.. I can only freestyle swim�� any tips?

Elle
11-18-2012, 10:04 PM
learning to do a butterfly stroke is what you want to do.
you can also get training elastic, which you can put around your ankles or knees to help. If your not confident in your butterfly stroke remember to swim with someone while you have the elastic on.

alternatively you can get a kickboard and practice the kicking with that.

SeaGlass Siren
11-19-2012, 11:13 AM
learning to do a butterfly stroke is what you want to do.
you can also get training elastic, which you can put around your ankles or knees to help. If your not confident in your butterfly stroke remember to swim with someone while you have the elastic on.

alternatively you can get a kickboard and practice the kicking with that.

oo where may i purchase these training elastics that you speak of?

i'll probably use a kickboard. thanks!

Elle
11-19-2012, 04:21 PM
You'll have to search them out. Some times sports and fitness stores have them. and sometimes it'll only be swim stores.

It's usually a black ring, made out of a thin stretchy rubber. Again, swim with a buddy if your not confident :)

SeaGlass Siren
11-19-2012, 04:28 PM
Awesome! Also.. Technique.. When I move my legs should I be moving my thighs more than my whole leg?

Mermaid Harmony
11-19-2012, 05:00 PM
Not going to lie, I used a bandanna. Good thing the lifeguards knew me, because I'm pretty sure they'd yell at anyone else for tying their legs together in the water. Although, If you tie your legs together, then it's easy to undo in case you need to kick hard to the surface quickly, where as an circle you'd have to pull your legs out. Also, I only bandanna'd when I had my monofin, otherwise you get almost no propulsion (some if you are really good, but if you're anything like me, it's a no go). I'd get a monofin first, easy to get out of in case something happens, and easy to carry around. That way you get a feel for how it works. That's what I did, and I feel like it prepared me fairly well, other mers may have other stories.

Elle
11-19-2012, 06:04 PM
Awesome! Also.. Technique.. When I move my legs should I be moving my thighs more than my whole leg?

you better off checking youtube. It's really hard to explain how to swim over the net :)
just search dolphin kick. It's combining a body movement with a leg movement.

Also, I only bandanna'd when I had my monofin, otherwise you get almost no propulsion (some if you are really good, but if you're anything like me, it's a no go). I'd get a monofin first, easy to get out of in case something happens, and easy to carry around. That way you get a feel for how it works. That's what I did, and I feel like it prepared me fairly well, other mers may have other stories.

I never had a issue with propulsion, but I swam competitively and dolphin kicks with no arms and no fins was part of training.

Merrow Fair Isle
11-19-2012, 06:49 PM
I am working on making a tail,but have been practisin with a monofin for months. Admitedly, it wasn't easy at first ..but 45 minutes in and I was far more comfortable.

SeaGlass Siren
11-19-2012, 08:27 PM
alright then. thanks elle :) thanks harmony!

Mermaid Wesley
11-26-2012, 05:26 PM
Idk if this will help, but try crossing your legs at first with a kickboard, it will keep your legs together(just until you get the motion) and then remember that you kick down AND up, use your hips and abs to get force. you might look like a fish out of water at first ( i know i did) but the more you practice, the better it looks and feels! and also, people have the tendency to try to swim FAST. but start slow, it helps!