PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from an Aspiring Mermaid in North Carolina

SekhmetsSiren
11-11-2012, 09:42 PM
Hello,
So glad I ran into this site! I'm a 20 year old student and harpist, recently moved to North Carolina. I ran across one of Hannah Fraser's videos and thought "I want to be her!" Further research brought me here. It was great to find other people like me, ensuring me that I wasn't entirely crazy.
Growing up in Georgia, I spent a considerable amount of my childhood enjoying the beach, and every waking moment of those trips was spent swimming in the ocean. I daydreamed about turning into a mermaid because I never wanted to return to the shore. Naturally, I was devastated when my dad's work relocated us to Illinois, so I'm quite excited to have just moved to North Carolina. It's still a good four hours to the beach, but that is considerably closer than before. :D
I chose the mermaid name Sekhmet of the Egyptian goddess with the same name, often associated with pestilence but capable of bringing healing. I strongly believe we have the same ability, to heal or destroy our beautiful world. I'm passionate about environmental causes, and while I'm excited about the possibility meeting fellow mermaid enthusiasts, I'm equally happy about a community of people with similar concerns.
Unfortunately, due to a recent illness that took me out for a couple months, I don't have much energy, so I'm not much of a swimmer at this point. Currently, I'm doing a lot of research to prepare myself to make my first mermaid tail. In the meantime, I thought I could practice with a monofin in order to build my endurance.
I love both sharks and great cats (another reason to relate to Sekhmet), and would love to play with making a tail that portrays those loves, like a shark inspired tail or one with tiger stripes or leopard spots. Suppose I should focus on tackling a simple fabric tail first, though, lol.
Anyway, pardon my rambling, nice to meet you all and thank you for being such an inspiring community.

Mermaid Harmony
11-11-2012, 10:30 PM
Welcome darling, you'll love it here. It tis a grand community, with lots of fun to be had! Can't wait to see how you do on your tail!

AniaR
11-11-2012, 10:45 PM
welcome to the sight

Elle
11-11-2012, 11:07 PM
welcome. It's nice to have another member to the community.
Best of luck with your tail, I can't wait to see your progress :)

Gem Stone
11-11-2012, 11:17 PM
Hello. Nice to meet you. I wasn't going to at first but did you think about basing your tail off a tiger shark? Just wanted to throw that out there.

Ashe
11-12-2012, 01:10 AM
Welcome to Mernetwork! :)

Sea Pearl
11-12-2012, 02:42 AM
Welcome to Mernetwork :) Glad you found us. You'll find lots of information here on tailmaking and plenty of people happy to help you out.

MerAnthony
11-12-2012, 07:23 AM
Welcome

Be Happy Swim Free

SekhmetsSiren
11-13-2012, 09:24 AM
Hello. Nice to meet you. I wasn't going to at first but did you think about basing your tail off a tiger shark? Just wanted to throw that out there.
Nice to meet you as well. That is a really good idea, and I might just have to give it a try. They're so gorgeous!
Thanks so much for the warm welcome everyone!

SekhmetsSiren
11-13-2012, 09:27 AM
Baha, I've had a long time love for Sekhmet. Admittedly, more for the blood drinking and wrathfulness. Funnily, I even have a clay sculpture of her here in my computer room (grade ten history project).
That's really cool. I'm actually looking for one of her, then one to represent Hathor. I'm picky, though, so it's some time, lol.

Merrow Fair Isle
11-15-2012, 09:39 PM
welcome welcome :)

SeaGlass Siren
11-15-2012, 09:59 PM
Hello :D