PDA

View Full Version : We're considered otherkin?

Mermaid Momo
11-12-2012, 07:18 PM
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbo=d&biw=320&bih=416&site=webhp&q=mermaid+otherkin&oq=mermaid+otherkin&gs_l=mobile-gws-serp.3..0.3246.17999.0.19837.16.9.0.7.7.0.483.2446 .0j4j1j3j1.9.0.les%3B..0.0...1ac.1.KPguQeci9aUSo today I went to the comic book store with my friends and one of them told me that apparently we're considered otherkin
otherkin: people who feel as if they aren't human whether it be they were nonhuman in a past life, have a non human soul along with their own or believe they have nonhuman blood (this is me summing up what I got from every site I went to on the subject, some may be wrong)
so I went and researched some mer otherkin (apparently there aren many on actual otherkin sites or communities but some seem to be aware of what's going oin our community [taken from an arrival about the world mermaid awards] here's a link to the google page I was in:

Mermaid Celissa
11-12-2012, 08:07 PM
Well, this stereotype isn't really true. We all know we're human (I hope) and obviously not merpeople. Would it still apply? I don't have a full grasp on the subject, but from what I understand, it means believing you are something you're not. The whole point of mermaiding is just because we enjoy it, and while some of us would love to be real merpeople, we know we aren't.

Mermaid Allie
11-12-2012, 08:35 PM
guys im a real mermaid... i thought you all were too... Lol just kidding

telzey.amberdon
11-12-2012, 08:57 PM
I mer.

Mermaid Momo
11-12-2012, 09:09 PM
From what I get an otherkin is someone who feels like their soul were born in a wrong body. So far I gather that there're angels,fae,dragons,and vampires (though I don't know how vps feel about that since I know that the community is very real) so I guess maybe how we say you're a mer in your heart even if you don't have a tail is maybe a bit like the otherkin in the way that they say its rooted deep? ( I don't really know if mermaiding is rooted deep but I do know its a big part of me XD)

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
11-12-2012, 10:37 PM
Some people here seem to consider themselves mermaids in that sense, yes... I seem to recall some conversations in that regard on other threads here. I think the majority of us don't feel that way, though... and those that do consider it a bit differently (i.e. considering ourselves "real mermaids" but not claiming to feel phantom limbs like tails). I don't think "mers" are necessarily otherkin "mermaids" any more than we are marine furries or real life superheroes. This phenomenon of merfolk shares the reliance on costumes with furries, it shares the fantasy identification and mythological elements with the otherkin, and adds a certain social consciousness, interest in the environment, and a certain crazy uncaringness about how strange one might look or act that can also be found with re-enactors, cosplayers, LARPers, polar bear swimmers, and flash mobs, along with a number of other features.

It's also my understanding that Otherkin are primarily an internet phenomena... merfolk are more active offline, at pools and beaches and fairs, and there's less of a... stage... for the attention-seekers. Otherkin are also a bit more varied in their explanations... while merfolk don't have an explanation, really, besides, "it's fun."

malinghi
11-12-2012, 10:51 PM
Just checked Wikipedia. As always, it has a wonderfully scholarly definition:

Otherkin are a community of people who see themselves as partially or entirely non-human. They contend that they are, in spirit if not in body, not human (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human). This is explained by members of the otherkin community as possible through reincarnation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reincarnation), having a nonhuman soul (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soul), ancestry, or symbolic metaphor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaphor). Scholarship has framed this identity claim as religious because it is frequently supported by a framework of metaphysical beliefs.

So I guess most of us aren't otherkin, though a couple of us may be. Especially if you choose to be really metaphysical in your beliefs. Personally my religious beliefs don't even try to wrap my head around something as poorly defined as a "soul", so the idea of having a "mermaid soul" isn't any weirder than having a "human soul".

Also, just want to throw this out there- by some definitions the people on this site are in fact mermaids.

mer·maid [mur-meyd] Show IPA
noun
1.(in folklore) a female marine creature, having the head, torso, and arms of awoman and the tail of a fish.
2.a highly skilled female swimmer.

Also, great post Joy&Raptors. So analytical. Are you a Wikipedia editor?

AniaR
11-12-2012, 11:07 PM
I think this is really up to individual people, I hate it when labels get applied. "you're otherkin" uh no, I'm a mermaid performer. It takes over a big chunk of my life, just like everything else I do :p

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
11-12-2012, 11:11 PM
I actually do some editing on Wikipedia, Malinghi, but only when it occurs to me to do so... I consult Wikipedia fairly often, and it is a good starting point for further research, and I like to help contribute some of my knowledge to it, if I can (keeping the unbiased, relevant, encyclopedia-style of the entries does make wikipedia editing a bit more difficult than some of my other writing, though).

Still, I have to confess that the majority of my understanding of Otherkin comes from actually visiting some of the early sites featuring them. I think I was originally looking up werewolves and other were-creatures, found a were-creature website (for people who considered themselves a particular were-animal in spirit at least, like otherkin consider themselves mythical creatures in spirit). That site had a link to what I believe is the main otherkin website (which was and still is, the last time I checked it out, more shaky and unfinished than the werecreatures one). I always thought that the concept of Otherkin was a fascinating one, even if I myself never experienced any of the phantom limbs (mostly wings) that people wrote about or any sense that I didn't belong among humans any more than the average human teenager. Like furries, however, while I can appreciate and be intrigued by the concept, it always seemed rather limiting to just select one kind of creature/animal that one relates to as part of oneself... I've always felt a bit too... changeable, and even attempting to select one would feel like playing favorites and not really being true to the spirit of the movement. That's one of the reasons I've enjoyed being part of the mernetwork community... I don't have to be anything other than myself... and yet I can be myself any which way I want to, whether that's trying to get a traditional mer-tail, looking at the possibility of vertical fins or octopus tails, etc. If I want to be a specific creature or character, I can play roleplaying games instead and satisfy that instinct as long as it interests me, but the mernetwork is a bit more about being me without redefining me.

green52
11-12-2012, 11:15 PM
'Otherkin' is the kind of thing that might've bothered me in the past, because I don't believe in such pseudo-spiritualism at all. Fortunately, I grew up and no longer care. If anyone on here sees themselves as a real mer, good for them.

It might be more common on other sites. One of the reasons I come here specifically is because I prefer the casual, grounded conversation.

J&R, I liked your post, and its inspired a topic that I'm going to put in another thread.

green52
11-12-2012, 11:30 PM
Actually, a new thread is probably unnecessary. I was just going to point out that there seems to be a growing trend toward living out fantasies in practical ways. It used to be harder to find, and people were more private about whatever imaginary world they liked to visit. Now, not only are there so many gatherings for people to create their own worlds -- from Comic-Con to the Gathering of the Juggalos -- but people are increasingly adopting clothes and accessories into their daily lives and talking publicly about their fandoms.

I could totally imagine that in 30 years, augmented reality will be a common, and lots of people will live in a hybrid world between the physical one and some extra layers that add other themes, such as science fiction, fantasy, time periods, etc. And this won't be limited to augmented reality. People will start using crazy nicknames regularly, and wearing things that today we consider costumes in normal work environments, and people will just not care.

roamingmer
11-13-2012, 03:57 AM
I have very vivid dreams; many involve underwater swimming without any legs. There are sensations along the spine which are hard to describe when awake. And yes my spirit is very intuitive. And yes im also a scientist and work in neuro-rehabilitation, so I should know better. So I would say that some people are aware of non-human sensations no matter where they believe they come from. But in the end, the physical body limits our current time on earth; who knows what happens after we pass on? It can be frustraiting but it is important to accept who you are and strive to be the most true to yourself, however that feels. As long as you are caring to other individuals and dont cause hurt, be free to explore. If it helps you understand who you are, and make more positive contributions to those around you... then go for it!.
The mermaid performers are doing exactly this for themselves and the children and adults they entrance.

elinox
11-15-2012, 03:25 PM
Please forgive the newbie, but I saw this thread and have got to clear up some misconceptions. *steps on soapbox*

First off, otherkin are a subculture of people who, for personal reasons, choose to label and identify themselves as something other than human. This can be from spiritual reasons like reincarnation or feeling as if you're the wrong soul/body. But there are also a fair number of folks who believe it is neurological in that their human brains are wired for something else; different social responses, different instincts, etc. Let me state that serious otherkin, as in not the roleplayers or the delusional ones, do not believe they are physically non-human. Much as I wish it (as I'm sure most of you do too), physical shapeshifting is not possible. So if someone claims they physically are something other than human, that's a big clue that they're either a newb or a poser.

Identifying and calling yourself otherkin comes down to a personal identity which is exactly the same as people who call themselves mermaids because they like to wear fish tails and swim. Granted, there are plenty of nutjobs in the otherkin communities, but you get that in any group. The Tumblr otherkin group is particularly full of ridiculousness so it's really no wonder other subcultures think we're all delusional escapists. :rolleyes:

Secondly, yes, in otherkin communities there are subgroups for various species, including merfolk and aquatic kin, although people who claim to be merfolk or aquatic kin are rare. So from the otherkin perspective, mermaids are otherkin. But again, it's a personal identity choice. If you feel the need to call yourself a mermaid but not otherkin to distance yourself from the idiots, I can understand that. (Although logically, if you believe you're something other than human you fall under the otherkin umbrella term.)

Thirdly, otherkin are not just an internet phenomenon, although it is certainly more popular online but that's due to modern technology like forums. But just like mermaiding and fursuiters, there is also an active off-line community. At the end of the day, someone who identifies as otherkin lives it even in their off-line life.

Let me put it a different way; have you ever felt like the call of the ocean was so deeply rooted inside your soul that your very essence ached with the longing of being away from the sea? That 'calling' is what some otherkin describe as feelings regarding a past life place they call 'home'. Or have you ever felt like you had gills when you obviously don't? Or felt like you still had your tail on when you've been hours out of the water? Many otherkin describe a sensation called 'phantom limbs' for things that are not physically there but feel as if they are. That feeling of not quite fitting in with society and being different, the phantom limbs sensations and/or past life memories, the feeling more at home with animals over humans, etc. that often points an individual towards identifying as otherkin. It's just a label some individuals choose to use to explain things about their experiences. *shrug*

And there are several decent otherkin forums around which are just as friendly and welcoming as this one is. The problem is there's a lot of junk to wade through on the internet!

*steps down from soapbox and waits for the lynching* :$

Mermaid Melusinah
11-15-2012, 03:50 PM
Please forgive the newbie, but I saw this thread and have got to clear up some misconceptions. *steps on soapbox*

First off, otherkin are a subculture of people who, for personal reasons, choose to label and identify themselves as something other than human. This can be from spiritual reasons like reincarnation or feeling as if you're the wrong soul/body. But there are also a fair number of folks who believe it is neurological in that their human brains are wired for something else; different social responses, different instincts, etc. Let me state that serious otherkin, as in not the roleplayers or the delusional ones, do not believe they are physically non-human. Much as I wish it (as I'm sure most of you do too), physical shapeshifting is not possible. So if someone claims they physically are something other than human, that's a big clue that they're either a newb or a poser.

Identifying and calling yourself otherkin comes down to a personal identity which is exactly the same as people who call themselves mermaids because they like to wear fish tails and swim. Granted, there are plenty of nutjobs in the otherkin communities, but you get that in any group. The Tumblr otherkin group is particularly full of ridiculousness so it's really no wonder other subcultures think we're all delusional escapists. :rolleyes:

Secondly, yes, in otherkin communities there are subgroups for various species, including merfolk and aquatic kin, although people who claim to be merfolk or aquatic kin are rare. So from the otherkin perspective, mermaids are otherkin. But again, it's a personal identity choice. If you feel the need to call yourself a mermaid but not otherkin to distance yourself from the idiots, I can understand that. (Although logically, if you believe you're something other than human you fall under the otherkin umbrella term.)

Thirdly, otherkin are not just an internet phenomenon, although it is certainly more popular online but that's due to modern technology like forums. But just like mermaiding and fursuiters, there is also an active off-line community. At the end of the day, someone who identifies as otherkin lives it even in their off-line life.

Let me put it a different way; have you ever felt like the call of the ocean was so deeply rooted inside your soul that your very essence ached with the longing of being away from the sea? That 'calling' is what some otherkin describe as feelings regarding a past life place they call 'home'. Or have you ever felt like you had gills when you obviously don't? Or felt like you still had your tail on when you've been hours out of the water? Many otherkin describe a sensation called 'phantom limbs' for things that are not physically there but feel as if they are. That feeling of not quite fitting in with society and being different, the phantom limbs sensations and/or past life memories, the feeling more at home with animals over humans, etc. that often points an individual towards identifying as otherkin. It's just a label some individuals choose to use to explain things about their experiences. *shrug*

And there are several decent otherkin forums around which are just as friendly and welcoming as this one is. The problem is there's a lot of junk to wade through on the internet!

Welcome! Glad to have you here and with such informational stand point. Your post actually helped me make sense much more of the topic. So thanks!

While I dont think myself mermaid or otherkin even, my 'call and drawling' to the sea and desire for my tail is MASSIVELY strong. but i really dont consider myself anything but human *teehee*

malinghi
11-15-2012, 04:35 PM

Hey everyone! That person just shared relevant information with us!! LETS GET 'EM!!

I'm not knowledgeable about otherkin, but I certainly agree with the observation that all subcultures, particularly those related to identity, share a certain amount of commonality, though they are all distinct and separate. Also I think their ranks all partially overlap somewhere, with people often belonging to multiple groups, whether it be furries, otherkin, mers, cosplayers, larpers, renn faire people, civil war reenactors, steampunks, cyber goths, juggalos, ect.

malinghi
11-15-2012, 09:29 PM
Weird, somehow I must have locked this thread by accident. Sorry for any confusion it may have caused.

Spindrift
11-15-2012, 11:28 PM
Yeah I was wondering about that, haha.

Aquatarian
11-15-2012, 11:30 PM
That's actually very informative, elinox! I guessed that it had to do with something about feeling more than human. And while I'm not sure if I fit into that category, I can definitely relate to that "deep rooted" feeling to the ocean you were talking about. I feel very close to the ocean in a spiritual sense but I doubt if I could pinpoint if I were connected to a certain species of animal or something similar. :P

green52
11-16-2012, 12:25 AM
from the otherkin perspective, mermaids are otherkin. But again, it's a personal identity choice. If you feel the need to call yourself a mermaid but not otherkin to distance yourself from the idiots, I can understand that. (Although logically, if you believe you're something other than human you fall under the otherkin umbrella term.)

I have a friend who once pointed out that scandals within the Catholic church drive people away from the priesthood, which leaves the people who gave Catholicism a bad name as the dominant voice. If you're a part of something with a bad reputation, its better to speak-up than to retreat. I'm not going to give a lot of thought to whether I am or am not otherkin, but based on your post, I'm going to certainly be a more supportive advocate of this self identification, if only to add more reasonable voices to the crowd.

Also, welcome! Just so you know, our style of lynching here is a bit unconventional. It consists of a lot of high fives and hugs and stuff. I hope this doesn't come as a disappointment.

spottedcatfish
11-16-2012, 02:01 AM
Thanks for posting that otherkin story daggersprez. I have to admit I have had some similar experiences, and I can identify with a lot of what the author was describing. It sent chills down my spine... However, none of this is new to me. It shouldn't be, but I'd like to keep my own beliefs and ideas concerning this, to myself. I may share more later.

Dee Tal
11-17-2012, 01:49 PM
I am hesitant to say so (I will explain why in a moment) but I am an otherkin. I truly feel at the depths of my soul that I am not really supposed to be here, as if my soul came from somewhere and ended up here by accident. I haven't done any past life regression or anything to explore it more yet. I do know that stargazing is something I limit because the feeling of homesickness I get becomes overwhelming. I am generally hesitant to call myself otherkin because that then classifies me with people who believe they are/were creatures that were entirely fictional creations. How can one honestly believe they were a pikachu in a past life? Stuff like that.

As far as people on this forum, I don't doubt there are some that feel that they were a merperson once, and the term otherkin would apply but I think the majority of people here just enjoy general mer mythology and play.

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
11-19-2012, 12:09 AM
Interesting post, Daemon!

I think there's another level to consider, however. Even if some of us don't feel inhuman, out of place, reincarnated, born mer-spirits in human forms, or other qualities that would make us fit in under the branch of otherkin (by the way, since you mentioned pikachu, are you talking about the related "Otakukin"?), what were doing essentially makes us mermaids and mermen in an entirely different way. A stage magician or an escape artist can't actually cast spells, but audiences still think they're the real deal... or at least, the act makes them real. I think the merfolk on this forum have more in common with that fashion of being "real merfolk" than with the otherkin theory.

Dee Tal
11-19-2012, 08:28 PM
I'm not familiar with that word. I used Pikachu as a quick example. I don't remember what fictional identities people were using as it's been awhile since I read about otherkin but I feel that it isn't very far off from what some people were claiming.

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
11-19-2012, 11:16 PM
Otherkin are humans whose spirits are derived from mythical creatures (or possibly spiritual for fantasy ones), such as dragons, griffins/griffons/gryphons, elves, fairies, vampires, werewolves, demons, angels, sphinxes, naga, elementals, phoenixes, unicorns, pegasi, etc. For the most part, I've noticed a preference for otherkin to lean towards actual myths, legends and folklore in the depictions of the creatures, as opposed to more recent fantasy creatures (orcs, halflings, owlbears, etc) and I've noticed a prevalence in animal-type features rather than different-bodied humans (you hear a lot more about dragons and griffins than you do people who identify as reincarnated gnomes or giants or trolls, and creatures like demons are often distinguished by bat wings, horns, tails, etc, as opposed to "evil" and corruption).

Otakukin, however, is a mix of the terms "Otherkin" and "Otaku"... and mean exactly what you'd suspect. Otakukin claim that their spirits derive from anime, manga, and Japanese video games... and often have to confront attitudes of incredulity given the more recent, supposedly fictional nature of their source material, even from Otherkin. Otherkin concepts sometimes include the idea that there is another world/dimension where mythical creatures, such as mermaids, physically exist, and that their spirits come from or are meant to be there. Otakukin face a somewhat stranger origin explanation as a result.

Some people might consider the explanations (especially of Otakukin, but also of Otherkin) hard to credit, but then again, if we assume that the human soul is powerful, versatile, adaptable and fluid enough, there is nothing in our understanding of what a soul is that actually disproves the possibility of either. While many religions and philosophies tell us what happens to souls after mortal death, we don't know very much at all about where souls come from in the first place. And I suppose neither theory of Otherkin nor Otakukin are, on their face, any more strange than a mermaid falling in love with a human prince after one night, using witchcraft to turn into a human, and sacrificing herself to remain true to her love and becoming a spirit of the air, and potentially gaining a soul that way.

spottedcatfish
11-20-2012, 12:21 AM
Interesting post, Daemon!

I think there's another level to consider, however. Even if some of us don't feel inhuman, out of place, reincarnated, born mer-spirits in human forms, or other qualities that would make us fit in under the branch of otherkin (by the way, since you mentioned pikachu, are you talking about the related "Otakukin"?), what were doing essentially makes us mermaids and mermen in an entirely different way. A stage magician or an escape artist can't actually cast spells, but audiences still think they're the real deal... or at least, the act makes them real. I think the merfolk on this forum have more in common with that fashion of being "real merfolk" than with the otherkin theory.

I agree, and I think that being "real merfolk" is more satisfying and fulfilling than being an otherkin mer.

AtlantisDreamer
03-15-2015, 01:27 PM
My identity of beinghood including my celestial origin that is 1/3 Merperson/Mermaid, (my Earth Angel Realm is called Mystic StarMer) is extremely fundamental to my spiritual, and psychological self/identity as well as my mental and physical wellbeing. With that being said though, I'm making the point here that I'm not an Otherkin. There are lots of ways people can and can't and do or don't identify. Unfortunately I always get lectured on how I don't know what I'm talking about and that I'm an Otherkin that just doesn't know it - I always find this to be really insulting. At the same time, demeaning the importance of my celestial Earth Angel Realm origin is just as offensive. I'm a Christian Spiritualist and a New Ager and essentially what what all of these terms mean to/for me is that I am a completely human person, but my soul has originates from past lifetimes that are connected to Atlantis and the underwater dwelling places of the Merperson branch of the Elemental/Faery Realm. I also identify as Starseed and Indigo. My sense of self is as though my soul has been separated from its true home, Atlantis and the faraway galaxies. This doesn't make me fit the mold for the Otherkin definition though, nor do I think that I am not fully human in any way, and nor do I have a species dysmorphic condition either. Anyone else out there feel or sense things in the same way or similarly?

Mermaid Mystery
03-15-2015, 02:04 PM
I'm actually catkin haha. it's hard to explain but I've always embraced my felinity. I like to say I'm mermaidkin but I really don't feel it like I do with cats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skytroque
03-15-2015, 03:34 PM
While I wouldn't really identify with "otherkin" I do make plenty of light-hearted references to being part wolf/werewolf, due to some trait parallels between myself and such. The mer thing is more of: I've never been really competitive in swimming, and being a merman is a way to combine a love of mythology with swimming. Kinda like being a Sith Lord? Can I actually darken suns and fire lightning? No (and tha's actually probably for the best...) So...I guess that makes me a Sith Merwolf....or...something...

Echidna
03-15-2015, 04:57 PM

Excellent post, thank you.
I could have quoted its entirety, but this highlights why I've never bothered much with the online otherkin communities.
I have had a really hard time (especially as a child and teenager) to fit in with human society, for reasons anyone who is NOT otherkin couldn't possibly comprehend.

It would have been a great help to know there are others who have made similar experiences, but when I heard the term for the first time and looked it up, I saw only wannabe special snowflakes (for real with powers and shapechange and blah) and nutcases (sorry).
It is very discouraging if you have memories and unwordly experiences that can be scientifically verified and proven to be real, and then have someone go on about some clearly completely made-up mushroom fantasy.
Thus, I never bothered joining an online community.

On this forum, most if not all members are simply mermaid performers, swimmers, and enthusiasts.
Some of us might also incidentally be otherkin, but not many.

elinox
03-16-2015, 04:45 PM
My sense of self is as though my soul has been separated from its true home, Atlantis and the faraway galaxies. This doesn't make me fit the mold for the Otherkin definition though, nor do I think that I am not fully human in any way, and nor do I have a species dysmorphic condition either. Anyone else out there feel or sense things in the same way or similarly?

Here's the thing though: otherkin, at least the serious people (not the roleplayers, idiots, internet trolls, or newbies, etc.) do not in any way think they are non-human physically. (Seriously? How would a wolf type on a keyboard?) This idea that otherkin are people who can shapeshift or who are biologically different somehow from homo sapiens are ridiculous and incorrect!!! This seems to stem from places like Tumblr, etc. where common sense and actual science are checked at the door. Let me reiterate: real otherkin know they are physically human. Calling yourself otherkin is just part of your personal identity; like calling yourself a cat lover or saying that your favorite color is green.

And Echidna, I'm sorry you've had bad experiences with the online otherkin communities. Trust me, there are actually good ones out there if you're interested!

Echidna
03-17-2015, 03:17 PM
And Echidna, I'm sorry you've had bad experiences with the online otherkin communities. Trust me, there are actually good ones out there if you're interested!

I am interested.
Maybe you can give me a pointer in PM? ;)

Echidna
03-17-2015, 03:24 PM
If you are a believer, ever heard of past life regression?

Just FYI.
People who remember past lives often don't need to do a regression, their memories are triggered by certain occurrences in their lives, and true memories can in many cases actually be verified (old chronicles, history books, knowledge of foreign languages and ancient scripts, etc).

I would take anything that cannot be verified with a big chunk of salt.
What exactly happens during a "regression" is not clear to me, and I wouldn't take that as soundproof either.

SeaGlass Siren
03-23-2015, 02:45 PM
I've tried the past life regression thing. It's close to guided meditation but they ask you what you see. But I'm fairly certain it's just the person "meditating" using an active imagination.

Merman Dan
03-23-2015, 03:25 PM
I'm fairly certain I was a Mayan sacrifice in a past life. They would drug them with an alcoholic chocolate drink, load them down with golden jewelry, and throw then in the sacrificial cenote. I don't care for chocolate and gold makes me break out, but I seem to have this odd fascination with water. ;)

PearlieMae
03-23-2015, 03:39 PM
Why yes, as a matter of fact, I WAS Cleopatra in a past life.

Would you like fries with that?

SeaGlass Siren
03-23-2015, 03:47 PM
Apparently I was an atlantean. Who died.

Mermaid Pickles
03-23-2015, 03:54 PM
Dunno WHO I was, but I lived in the middle east. XD Also, yes, Pearlie, I'd like some fries. :P

SeaGlass Siren
03-23-2015, 04:46 PM
fries and extra gravy please.

Mermaid Momo
03-23-2015, 04:53 PM
Okay, I've been away from this thread for a very long time (I actually forgot it existed haha) I'm wondering now, after I've had a few run ins with more of the... I guess, new or what I'm getting from some people in this thread: special snowflake otherkin who identify as inanimate objects or fictional characters. What do you all think of this? is this common?

I encountered dollkin as they call themselves because as I'm part of the living doll community, you see some people tag their things with dollkin and getting curious I went into the tag and saw that there are apparently quite a few people who believe that they really are dolls come to life by some magic. (and they keep freaking stealing my dang pictures. like no. stop.)

My example for the fictional characters comes from a post I saw with someone who identified as a pony from my little pony and wore a pony tail and ears every day or else they said they suffered from dysphoria (personally I feel like calling it dysphoria is sort of rude and insensitive to people who experience gender dysphoria because it is an actual legit problem for lots of trans individuals that can lead to break downs and self harm) and that they were suffering from dysphoria now because they don't have their cutie mark tattoo.

SiaTheMermaid
03-23-2015, 06:19 PM
I don't think the otherkin stemming from popular media is a common thing, like pokemon and my little pony.

Mermaid Wesley
03-23-2015, 06:24 PM
AH YES. Alot of these, not all but MOST of the inanimate object and the like otherkin, are trolls making fun of otherkin communities. like if you ever see "Potato kin" or the like. 90-ish% of the time they're trying to look as stupid as possible to affect public opinion of otherkin/therian communities. Most of the over-the-top tumblrs are like that too. All of the genuine otherkin I know are very reasonable.

Mermaid Momo
03-23-2015, 07:41 PM
Is it also common to be more than one type of kin? Just browsing this tag https://www.tumblr.com/tagged/dollkin (I think for it to show up right you have to have an account if not it goes to the stupid tumblr search function) and there are lots of posts saying that they're all these different types of kin. for example, a post I copied and pasted

" ~What I Am~Angelkin
Spacekin
Domestic catkin

~What I Might Be~
Dollkin
Dragonflykin
Fickin (Mary from Ib, Castiel from Supernatural)
Faekin
Oceankin

Sorry for all my questions.I do think that some people are mistaking the living dolls for dollkin because I get some people asking if I'm dollkin or when I check to see who's reblogging my pictures there are some posts along the lines of "dollkin are pretty" "I love dollkin", etc.

SiaTheMermaid
03-23-2015, 08:14 PM
Otherkin might feel a pull to more than one myth (such as angelkin also being spacekin due to the ancient astronaut theory) where as people with Species Dysphoria (who identify as completely human whilst feeling that they do not belong to the species) link themselves with one certain species most of the time. I don't know if this helps you :S

elinox
03-24-2015, 09:21 AM
I've never heard of 'dollkin' before and I've been active in the otherkin community since about 2008, so that's a new one! I have heard of fictionkin, which is someone who identifies with a fictional person/species. Like actually identifying as a pokémon or as Ash Ketchum from pokémon.

There are different levels of acceptance depending on who you are. My rule of thumb tends to be if the individual has done research and internal searching and come to the conclusion they're machinekin or fictionkin or whatever, they can believe whatever they want. Who am I to judge them? But if they just decided yesterday that they're a unicorn, I'm much more doubtful.

And I tend to doubt people who have a lot of 'kin types listed that seem 'out there', like fictionkin/angelkin/dragonflykin/elf princess they're more than likely just a young kid who is confused and is simply latching onto labels. Besides, 'dragonflykin' just sounds stupid. You'd just be a dragonfly therian (therians are earth-based animals). I tend to draw the line at 3 'kin types, myself. But again, it depends on the individual.

At the end of the day, people will believe what they want to and their identity doesn't affect me in the slightest. However, places like Tumblr are full of newbies, trolls and idiots. If you really want to research otherkin and that subsulture, do not go to Tumblr! Visit a forum instead since indepth, intelligent thinking happens there. Tumblr is not known for rational, intelligent people. ;)

theMerFanc
04-08-2016, 04:42 AM
I know a Selkie Otherkin on a community site I am on and many people who tail-swim and do mermaiding are not Otherkin or Therian. The largest difference, as someone said on the first page, it that most people here identify as fully human, rather then those of us that identify as some other entity, weather it is an animal, a beast, a plant or a mythical creature (such as a mermaid)

Mermatron Athena
04-17-2016, 01:22 PM
Wow. I didn't know about otherkin, but I live a pretty sheltered life and if it doesn't involve home-shoaling the kids, I'm generally clueless.
I have scientific proof I'm not 100% human. I did a DNA test, and all of the human race, even ancient ancestors like Neanderthals have been mapped genetically.
I'm about 5% "Other".
Before my tail, I have never been able to swim better than just keeping my head above water. But with a tail, it's like it's the missing piece I needed, and suddenly I'm a decent swimmer. I have this disease called Peripheral Neuropathy, every step I take feels like I'm walking on glass shards. It's awful, and many times I have to use a motorized disability scooter. But in the water I can swim all day, pain free.