PDA

View Full Version : Am I going to look frumpy?

The Young Mermaid
11-13-2012, 08:57 PM
So I am a christain and I think it is imodest to where a bakini top. Am I going to look frumpy, and not like a mermaid if I where a takini top? I am kinda worried about this. How can I make it look more mermaidy? I am making my tail now so I have some time to think about it.

telzey.amberdon
11-13-2012, 09:12 PM
seashells, netting, seaweed can make for a modest look that is mer-interesting

Blondie
11-13-2012, 09:15 PM
You can make a higher waist tail. There's lots of cool tankiki ideas out there with fun use of netting.

AniaR
11-13-2012, 09:44 PM
totally. Also, consider I high waisted tail. That's what I do :)

Winged Mermaid
11-13-2012, 11:36 PM
I don't think you'll look frumpy! There are mers that wear one piece bathing suits under their tails, and it just looks like they have a tank top on. FishButts makes tops that are less cleavage-y, and she can and has made them to cover the stomach and they still look good!

There are lots of ways to make mermaidy tops that offer more coverage. Just get creative!

Elle
11-14-2012, 01:13 AM
Definitely a higher waist when it comes to your tail. Higher waist-ed tails are becoming more popular (that could just be me, but there seem to be more high waists than low ones)
Don't be afraid to be creative with your netting and 'sea weed' when it comes to the top.
I know of some tops have a lot of leafiness around the cleavage, which can help with modesty.
also look into different ways to wear the netting around your neck. having it cross over across the top of your chest covers up a lot more than just looping it over your shoulders.

Raven's Octo-top covers a lot of area, and "leafiness" hides extra skin.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=353024198087000&set=pb.178589958863759.-2207520000.1352873042&type=3&src=https%3A%2F%2Ffbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net%2Fhphotos-ak-prn1%2F527897_353024198087000_1918985158_n.jpg&size=655%2C960

Tankini style mermaid top
http://www.etsy.com/listing/68145684/reserved-listing-for-sarah684-lady-jade

Check step 1 for cross over mer-top
http://www.cutoutandkeep.net/projects/mermaid-fancy-dress

The Young Mermaid
11-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Thanks! I like the net idea! :) Where can I buy netting like that? And seaweed?

telzey.amberdon
11-14-2012, 06:58 PM
Sometimes Michaels, other craft stores, etsy

Winged Mermaid
11-14-2012, 08:09 PM
Michaels or Hobby Lobby for the netting. If you don't live near one, Hobby Lobby lets your order online (link (http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/fish-net-600155/)). Seaweed- any place that has a fake floral section. Keep in mind it’s not really “seaweed” but plants that LOOK like seaweed. If they look like they could pass for sea flora to you then go for it! One tip though- if it's for water wear get the more plasticity kinds. The fabric-y kinds of fake plants don't hold up as well in the water over time.
Also keep in mind Michaels has weekly adds that have coupons. JoAnns sends out coupons via mail, email, and their smartphone app. Hobby Lobby also has coupons (not sure how they're sent out as I don't live near one). Make use of them!

NerineArcticMermaid
11-14-2012, 09:19 PM
Michaels, joanns and hobby lobby now have apps for smart phones

Michaels and joanns accept competitor's coupons

Dacora
11-15-2012, 05:14 PM
I found this picture on my face book. Its of mermaids with fabric tops. You could do something like that to help cover up. :) I like the bottom left one.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=385221711557327&set=a.296346193778213.70307.113811855364982&type=1&theater

Elle
11-15-2012, 05:57 PM
I found this picture on my face book. Its of mermaids with fabric tops. You could do something like that to help cove up. :) I like the bottom left one.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=385221711557327&set=a.296346193778213.70307.113811855364982&type=1&theater

These are really cool.

The Young Mermaid
11-15-2012, 09:09 PM
How high waisted should I go?

Elle
11-15-2012, 11:21 PM
That's entirely up to you.
just under you belly button, on it or above it. whatever you like.
Have a look at some of the tails on here, and have a look at the different heights.

The Young Mermaid
11-16-2012, 08:26 AM
Okay! :) I am very thankful for your help!

Mermaid Saphira
12-24-2012, 09:24 AM
Bubbles got me to make her matching tail top a tankini...

seagirls626
12-24-2012, 10:50 AM
I think you should make your tail go all the way up and have shoulder straps

Lois
01-17-2013, 06:39 PM
I know this thread hasn't been touched since before Christmas but im looking at tops online :P You could have one which goes the whole way up and then is strapless that would be nice or alternatively you could get one of those tankinis wired corsety tankinis which look like a bra on top but have a band of fabric going further down :)

Mermaid Danielle
01-17-2013, 08:20 PM
Decorate the tank top you are planning on using with shells, netting, and beads. Make a design out of it, or have it match your tail! Either way it will look beautiful!

-Annwyn-
01-19-2013, 12:35 AM
Why not create a one-piece tail costume? It could look really pretty. :)

Just curious also, you say you're a Christian, aren't you at all worried about the 'portraying a non-godly mythological creature/vanity' side of things?

Thalassa
01-19-2013, 07:36 AM
I'm exactly the same way. In fact I bill myself as a "modest mermaid" lol. Fish Butts was wonderful to make me a long top. When I have my tail on, the top of my tail meets the bottom of my top...you can't even tell it's not one long, scaly suit! You can take a look on my web site or Facebook to see the top. I've also made arrangements with Raven of Merbellas to make me a similar top to match my new tail. IMHO, scale tops are the way to go!

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
01-19-2013, 09:31 PM
Is it really the case that anything but a bikini is actually "frumpy"-inducing? I mean, didn't the baywatch girls all wear one-pieces? Wear what you want... I'm sure the tail will draw more attention than the top in any case. Also, is it possible to be a mermaid and be frumpy? I kinda thought the mermaid-ness makes one so exotic that frumpiness is blown-away.

seagirls626
01-27-2013, 06:59 PM
I found it!!! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tankini-top-to-match-Mermaid-tails-/281049667943?pt=US_Costumes&var=&hash=item416fdd9967

Traveling Merman
01-27-2013, 09:57 PM
So I am a christain and I think it is imodest to where a bakini top. Am I going to look frumpy, and not like a mermaid if I where a takini top? I am kinda worried about this. How can I make it look more mermaidy? I am making my tail now so I have some time to think about it.

Dear in the opinion of a gay man, for purely aesthetic reasons I would go with a bikini or pasties; god created us ALL (humans animals and plants) in "his" image! Covering the body is a social conditioning! Adam and Eve were as naked as animals or new borns! If god had wanted us to wear clothing we would have been born with it! Lol

Now if its purely weather you feel uncomfortable with your body then I understand that, also if you're underage then I wouldn't advise a bikini!!! But I don't understand what covering up has to do with being Christian? Look at all the religious art that was produced over hundreds of years, look at the art in the Vatican!!! About 75% of all this art there are nudes in it!

I think I'm gonna get lynched by everyone now! Lol

Thalassa
01-27-2013, 10:11 PM
I think she mentioned being Christian because it is her religious belief that showing the midriff is immodest (as is the belief in some religious sects). It's not a body image thing, it's not a temperature thing, it's a religious thing. Trying to persuade her (or anyone else who has this belief) that her belief is wrong is beyond the point. Her question wasn't "Is my religion correct in believing this, and should I hold to my beliefs?" Her questions were 1) Would she still be mermaidy if she wears a tankini or similar top, and 2) How could she make a tankini more mermaid-like.

Sorry, but it drives me nuts when people pounce on the religion thing and ignore the part that needs help.

EDIT: I realize that, in a way, your post answers question #1, but as a modest mermaid myself I recognize that your post also wouldn't help me with my problem.

Dacora
01-27-2013, 10:12 PM
Dear in the opinion of a gay man, for purely aesthetic reasons I would go with a bikini or pasties; god created us ALL (humans animals and plants) in "his" image! Covering the body is a social conditioning! Adam and Eve were as naked as animals or new borns! If god had wanted us to wear clothing we would have been born with it! Lol

Now if its purely weather you feel uncomfortable with your body then I understand that, also if you're underage then I wouldn't advise a bikini!!! But I don't understand what covering up has to do with being Christian? Look at all the religious art that was produced over hundreds of years, look at the art in the Vatican!!! About 75% of all this art there are nudes in it!

I think I'm gonna get lynched by everyone now! Lol

As a Christian I agree 100%.
:p

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Elle
01-28-2013, 12:51 AM
Look at all the religious art that was produced over hundreds of years, look at the art in the Vatican!!! About 75% of all this art there are nudes in it!

Does this include all those male statues that had their....well their manliness was taken away as it was too raunchy for that Pope.....FIG LEAVES FOR EVERYBODY!!!!

Mermaid Miel
01-28-2013, 12:59 AM
Aela; As a Christian mermaid I would like to point out that many medieval churches have mermaids carved in their walls, often holding a comb and mirror (and wearing nothing else! :O )

While yes, they were symbols of temptation, sexuality and vanity, on the flip-side they were also symbols of transformation, Baptism and other catholic purification rituals. (some of which required a Holy Comb.) This duality was partly why they are almost always merMaids instead of mermen, as a dual-nature is often ascribed to be a female trait.

On a personal note; Kinda like Kae-leah, for me Mermaids both represent temptation and Purity. While they might seem sexual at first glance, my mermaid mythos connects them with virginity. No legs, covered from toes to my high waist, like a spandex chastity tail. (lol) I am waiting until marriage.

To answer the original question, with my first tail I had Tankini that matched colour with my tail and it didn't look at all frumpy.

I've had many girls ask me to make them tops just like it. Unfortunately I had to turn them down... all my tops are bought either cheap instore or secondhand. The fact that the top matched was pure coincidence!

All my tails are very high-waisted, they sometimes dont stay there but I prefer them to cover my bellybutton. I do wear bikini tops, but I buy the 6 sizes too big with ties. It's the only way the bra cups will modestly cover my breasts and not smush them together in an attempt to make it look like I have cleavage. Most bikini's are immodest. I adore tankinis and swim-shorts or bikini skirts (for before I put my tail on.)

Traveling Merman
01-28-2013, 06:10 AM
Does this include all those male statues that had their....well their manliness was taken away as it was too raunchy for that Pope.....FIG LEAVES FOR EVERYBODY!!!!

The fig leaves were added on in mainly the Victorian era in Europe to "protect" the sensibilities of ladies who might have seen the statue and gone mad with lust! Lol

Traveling Merman
01-28-2013, 06:27 AM
I think she mentioned being Christian because it is her religious belief that showing the midriff is immodest (as is the belief in some religious sects). It's not a body image thing, it's not a temperature thing, it's a religious thing. Trying to persuade her (or anyone else who has this belief) that her belief is wrong is beyond the point. Her question wasn't "Is my religion correct in believing this, and should I hold to my beliefs?" Her questions were 1) Would she still be mermaidy if she wears a tankini or similar top, and 2) How could she make a tankini more mermaid-like.

Sorry, but it drives me nuts when people pounce on the religion thing and ignore the part that needs help.

EDIT: I realize that, in a way, your post answers question #1, but as a modest mermaid myself I recognize that your post also wouldn't help me with my problem.

Sorry darling but; No where did I say her religious views were wrong, I just presented a different Christian view for her to consider!

I think 90% of the time the humanity, intonation and intention of someone's voice is lost when there's no vocalisation or facial expression to accompany the words, so when the words are laid down in writing I can easily see how my meaning could be misconstrued.

Traveling Merman
01-28-2013, 06:32 AM
I'm exactly the same way. In fact I bill myself as a "modest mermaid" lol. Fish Butts was wonderful to make me a long top. When I have my tail on, the top of my tail meets the bottom of my top...you can't even tell it's not one long, scaly suit! You can take a look on my web site or Facebook to see the top. I've also made arrangements with Raven of Merbellas to make me a similar top to match my new tail. IMHO, scale tops are the way to go!

Have another read of what I originally wrote darling, and answer just this question to me:

Removing temperature and climates out of the equation; do you think that clothing is social conditioning?

Thalassa
01-28-2013, 09:38 AM
Sweetie, looking again at what you wrote, it is my religious belief that you are wrong, clothing is not a social convention. However, this isn't the place for a religious debate so I won't go into my reasons for believing this. I get awfully tired of having to defend my every belief against people who insist I accept their beliefs but refuse to let me have my own.

To the OP: I'm not sure if this has been suggested, but did you try searching the forums for "modest tops?" I think there are 2 threads out there that have some great ideas in them. That's actually how I met this community, looking for modest tops! If you can't find them let me know and I'll see if I can link them to you.

Also, I've been thinking about designing a mer-top with sleeves for dry events. I'm thinking something flowy?

Traveling Merman
01-28-2013, 09:46 AM
Sweetie, looking again at what you wrote, it is my religious belief that you are wrong, clothing is not a social convention. However, this isn't the place for a religious debate so I won't go into my reasons for believing this. I get awfully tired of having to defend my every belief against people who insist I accept their beliefs but refuse to let me have my own.

Thanks for answering my question!

I'm not attacking beliefs, and I haven't asked you to believe mine, I'm just presenting a different view on the subject, which you seem to fail to understand and have fabricated into an attack on yourself (that's your illusion)

Aquatarian
01-28-2013, 12:31 PM
I could not give two crabs why you don't want to show your midsection. It's your body and it's your choice. Regardless, I'm actually surprised I haven't seen someone make a full uhh... torso-to-fin tail. I don't think they look "frumpy" AT ALL! They actually can look really good if they are done right. :) Just to give you some inspiration. :)

In these first 2 images is the villain Saleen, who appeared in 2 episodes of Disney's Aladdin the animated series. As you can see she wears a pair of shells that meet her tail, completely covering her torso from the chest down.

These next 4 images are of some Water Faerie which are a part of neopets. Almost ALL of them have tails that come up fully to cover their torsos. They look quite mermaidy and I don't know why but someone could make a full length tail like this, they look great!

The photo below is 'The Little Mermaid' from the San Francisco Ballet production of The Little Mermaid. She may not have actually swum in this costume but it still looks cool. It just basically a wrap that fades from light blue to navy.

This is from the European Stage production of Disney's The Little Mermaid. Unlike in the Broadway production, Ariel's torso is fully covered, as are the rest of the merfolk (including Ursula). This seems like a bit of a corset but I don't see why a tankini can't be fashioned in the same way to meet a tail at the waist.

These last 2 pics are from Barbie: Mermaidia. In the production images the mermaid's tops look something like a fancy tankini but in the final film, the mermaids tops completely meet at the waist with their tails, again, completely covering their torsos.

The idea here was to show you some examples of mermaids that have their torsos covered as well as give you some different ideas to inspire some sort of top you can use in conjunction with your tail. You could have it very professionally done to. Personally, just a regular tankini seems too plain for my taste. ;)

and ps. sorry for the giant pic heavy post. I'm a pretty visual person and I think showing pics communicates this idea best.

telzey.amberdon
01-28-2013, 07:36 PM
Any tops suitable for guys who don't want to show how untanned they are?

MerEmma
01-28-2013, 07:41 PM
^ Something like a rashguard style would be nice, I think.

Mermaid Allie
01-28-2013, 10:23 PM
OH YEAH GO WATER FAERIE I was obsessed with neopets half my life haha yeah do a tail like hers!!

Aquatarian
03-31-2013, 08:50 PM
I'm coming back to this again.

I found these photos earlier today just on a search through the internet.

It's a full tail that completely covers the torso and was actually made for a movie called "Duyung" which I believe is from the Philippines.

Ashe
03-31-2013, 09:41 PM
And it looks really cool and extremely natural :D

Mermaid Lilium
04-06-2013, 09:20 PM
I will jump in and say this..

Being overweight I'm really self conscious about my torso showing (the neoprene based tail I'm planning should smooth out a lot from the waist down) so I'm looking into making a top based slightly off the way that showgirl's costumes are made - for example in my town during the summer there's an ice dancing show and having borrowed some of their costumes I know how teeeeenytiny they make things - but yeah basically they make a spandex bodysuit (often arms and legs and a high neck) from nude material and then apply elements to 'create modesty' - It's the same way they did Britney Spears' diamond-studded 'nude' scenes in her video for toxic i think it was.

So what I'm planning on doing is basically making a one-piece bodysuit from nude spandex and then painting the chest to hide the nude strapless bra I'm going to wear underneath. I figure this way I can sew on extra fins to run down my spine and possibly to the back of my arms. That way everything is held so it doesn't wobble around. It also gives me the option of using latex to create 'gills' on my ribs without having to glue them to my torso every single time.

Maybe something similar would allow you to show as much or as little as you want? =)

also not jumping on the religion thing but sometimes people want to be modest because otherwise they'd feel uncomfortable otherwise - In my case I'm even an athiest so religion really doesn't play into it =)

Mermaid Avalon
04-07-2013, 02:16 PM
traveling merman, I LOVE your first response!

Kanti
04-07-2013, 03:10 PM
I dunno maybe I'm weird but I don't associate naked-ness or skimpyness to sluttyness.
I credit more of the behavior to that aspect. If someone is wearing a bra top or a tube top or something skimpy but they're not getting all over your or being flirty then I don't think they're being slutty at all. I find being able to wear skimpy clothes in public shows that you're proud of your body, not necessarily that you want some. Though I will say if asses and titties are hanging out it may be inappropriate so just make sure your goods aren't showing or anything xD

But when it comes to mermaids I just sort of don't even think something as skimpy as a shell top or a scale bra is being promiscuous at all. I'm just sort of used to them being presented that way I guess xD

Mermaid Lilium
04-07-2013, 10:36 PM
I do agree with you Kanti, especially because it plays into the whole what I wear doesn't say I'm 'asking for it'. Hell I mean I've done photoshoots with models in lace and a pair of knickers... in the snow! lol What women (or men) wear shouldn't matter. Let them wear whatever they feel like =)