PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what to do.

Thalassa
11-17-2012, 09:01 PM
Sorry to all my dear mer-friends who have gone through this issue with me already. I'm just really on the fence and need as much feedback as I can get.

The issue: I'm finding that when I'm swimming and people ask me if I do parties, etc. they ask me my name. In addition, kids always ask my name (of course). The conversation always goes like this (no matter the age):

Me: "Thalassa"
Them: *blank stare* "Huh? What?"
Me: "Thalassa."
Them: "Um...Thissa...what?"
Me: "Thuh-LASS-uh. It means 'sea.' "
Them: "Okay, whatever."

Since kids are my main reason for mermaiding and advertising is important, I've been thinking of changing my name to something easier. I have several options.

The rub: 1) I like Thalassa for interacting with Ren Faire people and adults. Those who know me get to know it pretty quickly, and I'm loathe to get rid of a name I like. 2) If I "add" an easier name (ie: Call myself "Thalassa X") I'll still advertise myself as "Mermaid X" or "X the Mermaid." Thalassa would only be used if people asked my full name. 3) A change would require a change in domain name (I've purchased thalassamermaid.com), a change in logo, a change in my "autograph," changing my email address, changing my name here, changing my name in all my booking documentation...see what I mean? The work would be worth it if I can find something easy for kids and stick to it. 4) I don't want to step on anyone's fins by taking "their" name.

Thoughts?

Mermaid Celissa
11-17-2012, 09:03 PM
Thalia, or Talulah? Sorry you're in this predicamento.

Thalassa
11-17-2012, 09:08 PM
I have a list of names, foremost on the docket are Talise (beautiful wear), Joli (cheerful, beautiful), Kenda (clear water), Romy (sea dew) and Brina (little drop of water).

It's just daunting thinking about all the changes I'd need to make if I change my name. And I really do love Thalassa...it's just so hard for people to get.

Spindrift
11-17-2012, 09:08 PM
I wouldn't change your name. You can always say "Mermaid Thalassa" (instead of just "Thalassa"), if that's the part they are being confused with. I mean a lot of people have unusual names and people have to deal with that everyday. I think you're fine, especially with all the work you've already invested to use it. :)

Thalassa
11-17-2012, 09:13 PM
That's true. Adults aren't as MUCH of a problem, as I can always give them my card. I wonder if there's something I could say to kids, you know, "My name is Thalassa, but you can call me..." Maybe Tala? Not sure how I like that.

MerEmma
11-17-2012, 09:22 PM
Tally? I'm not sure. I agree with Spindrift, if you love a name, don't let others stop you from keeping it. :P

Blondie
11-17-2012, 09:43 PM
You could always nickname yourself. Be like "My mermaid name is Thalassa but you can call me Thala." I mean you could go by Thalassa around the people that "get it" so to say. But when it comes to people interested in parties/business who don't understand the mermaiding game and the myth-y names, you can go but Thala around them or even Lassa?

Thalassa
11-17-2012, 09:56 PM
True, but then would I put "Thalassa" or "Lassa" (for example) on my business card and web site?

Artisankatie
11-17-2012, 10:11 PM
Story of my life!

I do a lot of crowd type work where people only hear my name once. And that name is Volitania. NOBODY remembers that. So I shorten it to Tania when talking to kids in crowds, because they remember it (and it's easier for me to say haha).
If you're doing intimate stuff, where you've been booked and people have READ your name a few times, it'll be fine :)

Thalassa
11-17-2012, 10:17 PM
Exactly. A lot of times I'm doing meet and greet, and when there's 20 kids clustered around wanting to talk to you, you just don't have TIME to go, "Thalassa. Thalassa. No, Thuh-LASS-uh. Just call me mermaid, okay?" XD

I may go with the nickname option, though...maybe just with kids I'll tell them they can call me Tally.

Mermaid Miel
11-17-2012, 11:49 PM
I was faced with the same(ish) dilemma. It just took too long to explain that it was Mer-ria not Mar-ria and Meria-Miel
Meria means Sea-girl/Young mermaid to me anyway, So Nowadays I introduce myself as Mermaid Miel. Now I have to explain it's Mee-ehL. Not Mee-leh or My-lee.. oh whatever, Call me Mel. LOL

Then real hilarity is it's the same with my birth name.
I get called Janet, Jane, Yana, Jzharna (french... i like it!) and even Ana once.

My real name is Pronounced Jar-Na and officially spelt Jana. I mispelled it as Jarna in High School which stopped my teachers from mispronouncing it. XD

In the end you can call me anything, I'll probably respond.

Winged Mermaid
11-18-2012, 12:35 AM
I think a lot of mermaids get the same problem. People usually get mine pretty well, thankfully. I get this same joke all the time though..

"What's your name?"
"I'm Iona!"
"You own a what? Hur hur hur."
-_-

Funny enough, my real nick name always takes 2-4 tries when I met new people for them to get it right. Even though when they do, they told me it's a beautiful name. I ended up shortening my nick name becuase I'm way too shy to have to go through that every time I meet a new person. Since my husband is in the military, that's a lot. So I totally get it. I think a nick name or a shorter version is a good idea. I wouldn't worry about putting it on your business cards or anything.

spottedcatfish
11-18-2012, 12:54 AM
Even on here I thought your name was Thaliassa (Thal- lee -assa). I think you should go with a shorter nickname as well as your regular mername.

New York Mermaid
11-18-2012, 03:08 AM
"Thala " could be short nickname, you could tell the kids to "just call me "Thala".. plus you wont have to change your name at all.

thats the reason why i chose a "Lanai" which is quick to understand (though at times i get called "Lan or Lani" and i still respond lol) it happens.

Elle
11-18-2012, 05:07 AM
Yeah, I think shortening it to 'Thala' or 'Tally' would work for public situations.
But it's up to you. I don't have a mer-name yet so I'm not sure how helpful that was

Thalassa
11-18-2012, 11:33 AM
Thank you all so much for your feedback! ^_^

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
11-18-2012, 03:29 PM
Really? People have trouble with Thalassa? I guess that verifies my belief that people are downright weird. Might I suggest that there is always going to be someone who is clueless about your name, regardless of what it is, and that attempting to change to satisfy a moderately vocal minority is an effort in futility? Thalassa has a history/mythology to it, and you've clearly made a nice brand with it in your signature, and it really isn't particularly difficult to say (if you name derived from, say, Mesoamerican mythology, it might be somewhat more difficult for english-speakers to pronounce). I'd advise sticking with it, maybe giving a warning "Ok, some people find my name hard to say: "Thalassa," or handing out business cards (laminated, if you're in the water). Practicing your enunciation might help, too, if you think people aren't getting it for that reason.

Thalassa
11-18-2012, 03:45 PM
It's really mostly the kids I'm worried about. Which makes sense, because they haven't had the exposure to as many words, and they wouldn't understand the mythological etymology. I think what I'm going to do is give the kids a "nickname" they can call me, that's easier to pronounce. Kids do nicknames a lot, anyway, so it's a concept they'll understand.

SeaGlass Siren
11-18-2012, 03:50 PM
I have trouble with my name too lol. Especially with Asian people. They always mispronounce my name like.. Angela, or ang-gee-uh .. Or an-drrur -aah . Sometimes aundrea... Angie- ah... I got called Andrew once >_> now I just tell people to call me Andy.

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
11-18-2012, 06:58 PM
Yeah, but Thalassa, these same kids pronounce "Rapunzel" and "Aang" and "Persephone" with ease. You're underestimating kids and the gift with words that comes naturally to younger children (in order to help them learn basic language skills). The way to get them to say "Thalassa" is to keep saying it.

Thalassa
11-18-2012, 07:14 PM
Sorry, I hope I don't sound rude, but I'm slightly frustrated. I explained my problem is that I'm not doing a lot of small parties. I'm doing a lot of meet and greets, where it's tell your name, answer a question, move on to the next kid, maybe come back to this one if there's time. I have 20 kids to interact with! I don't have TIME to keep saying it, as I've said. I also don't feel I'm underestimating anything. I'm a teacher, I know kids have an amazing ability to learn WITH EXPOSURE. I don't pre-judge what a child can learn, it's one thing I pride myself on. It's one reason I didn't pick an easier name in the first place. However, from my experience over the past few months, the kids simply don't have the time and exposure to my name, therefore it's hard for them. If my whole conversation with them is limited to (first kid) "Thalassa." (second kid) "Thalassa." (third kid) "Thalassa." (first kid again) "Thalassa." etc. the conversation isn't much fun for me, and it's not fun for them. It's not what I'm imagining, it's what I'm SEEING. And honestly, I don't care what I'm called by kids, if it weren't for the fact that I see their frustration I wouldn't worry about my name. I don't care if they pronounce it, "Hey, YOU!" But they know they're not getting it right and they don't understand it, and so they're getting confused.

If I were doing a more private party with a steady group of kids (rather than them coming in and out), I'd have them say it a few times with me. But I have yet to be in that situation.

Thalassa
11-18-2012, 07:29 PM
I do agree that perhaps I'm underestimating their ability to bounce back from the frustration. I just hate to see kids frustrated by anything in an experience that's supposed to be fun. XP

Elle
11-18-2012, 07:42 PM
I have trouble with my name too lol. Especially with Asian people. They always mispronounce my name like.. Angela, or ang-gee-uh .. Or an-drrur -aah . Sometimes aundrea... Angie- ah... I got called Andrew once >_> now I just tell people to call me Andy.

I know what you mean. My grandfather (Chinese) had difficulty pronouncing everyone's names (I have 32 cousins) he just ended up calling everyone 'George'

Bellasea
11-18-2012, 08:31 PM
Thalassa- I think you should go with a nick name, just make sure that the parents know your full name is Thalassa, and not your nickname. If you have buisness cards, or anything else (I use shells written on with sharpie) than make sure they have your full name and contact info. Just always keep your info with you so the parents (the people that will hire you) know your name. Also, I always ask anyone I see takling pictures with a smart phone to email them to me at my mermaid email, that way if they don't catch my name, they get it when I tell them the email adress.

Artisankatie
11-18-2012, 08:45 PM
Hmm, I wonder if you could make a game out of it with the kids? Dare them to get your name right :P

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
11-18-2012, 10:08 PM
Or signage. It is hard to argue with a big sign that says "MERMAID THALASSA"

Thalassa
11-19-2012, 12:05 AM
Especially one made with a nice thick post. Just the type to whop...nevermind. XD

Odette
11-20-2012, 09:42 PM
A shorter version would be perfect. "Thissa" actually sounds pretty cool.

Koral
11-21-2012, 06:08 PM
That's true. Adults aren't as MUCH of a problem, as I can always give them my card. I wonder if there's something I could say to kids, you know, "My name is Thalassa, but you can call me..." Maybe Tala? Not sure how I like that.

I knew someone named Tala. It's a very beautiful name, really. After some thought I agree that you should keep Thalassa. When I talk to my mum about you, for instance, I keep going back and forth between your real name, and Thalassa (though I accidentally call you Thalassa far too much). I actually think Tala would be a great nickname.