PDA

View Full Version : In it to Win it- or maybe not... (critique of ebay Monofin)

spottedcatfish
11-18-2012, 01:25 PM
There was this Finis Competitor Monofin being sold on Ebay, that I have been following for a few days now till it ended this morning.
link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Finis-Competitor-Professional-Freedive-Monofin-SIZE-Large-/261126561774?nma=true&si=hoWdNfcXBDdpjulYTZgR4cIuCQs%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
(Scroll down to see the description)

Now I did not win this monofin, but I set the price bar up high enough to make sure the seller got a fair price for the item. It ended a little too high for my budget, but I noticed a few things that were odd about this Ebay sale from the beginning. First, seeing a competitor monofin on Ebay is rare in itself, and when you do see one it generally does not have a starting price of $25,:jawdrop: with no BIN (Buy It Now) price, or reserve price!
Second, the description was a bit odd. Why was he selling a "Brand New" Competitor, for such a low starting bid? Second, he mentions his wife in the description, saying that she has a size 8 foot and can use it with a neoprene sock. Uh, ok, but does she like to use the monofin too? Maybe not... who knows. Then for about a paragraph or so, it copies information I've seen before about the benefits of training with a competitive monofin... Little odd, but I guess the seller felt he had to give a sales pitch. But the one thing that threw me off, and really made this description stand out, was the last sentence:

"Due to constant business travel I'm having to resort to the smaller blade monofin that I can fit in a roll-on bag or gym bag." Wait so he's taking this fin to swim with on business trips? Where is he going? Hawaii? Maybe he's taking it to exercise in at the hotel pool. Of course the fin is too big to travel with, and secondly, why do you need a monofin for free diving, meant for use in the ocean, to take with you on business trips anyways? I don't know! this part threw me off the most, also the sellers location which was Salt Lake, Utah, where there is no body of water to be found... The Competitor fin, can be used in pools, as we all know. Also it's a very large fin, and would be cumbersome to travel with.

What do you think? Odd or normal? Comment below.

AniaR
11-18-2012, 05:04 PM
yeah that does seem a little fishy.

Thalassa
11-18-2012, 05:40 PM
Wait, is your main argument that you can't swim with a competitor in a pool? That a monofin is only used in the ocean? I'm just confused (maybe a little defensive as I live in Utah and I'd hate someone to be suspicious of me just because of where I live). I swim with my monofin all the time, because it's easier for me than swimming without it. It's one of the few forms of exercise I enjoy. Do I have access to an ocean? No. But do I enjoy swimming with my fin? Heck, yes!

I'd be more suspicious of the price, as it looks too good to be true for a competitor, and there's got to be something wrong with it if he's selling it at so far below cost.

Blondie
11-18-2012, 06:44 PM
I mean, I don't think the story behind it is weird. It basically seems like the monofin didn't really fit his wife, he couldn't bring it on his business trips because it was too big (maybe he exercised in the pool with a monofin everyday) I doesn't sound like it was really used since well he couldn't take it with him and it didn't fit his wife...

Sounds like to me they're just trying to get rid of it. Maybe it was a gift? But still I'd at least ask $100 to get it off my hands. But maybe he wanted more people to bid on it..

spottedcatfish
11-18-2012, 11:15 PM
Wait, is your main argument that you can't swim with a competitor in a pool? That a monofin is only used in the ocean? I'm just confused (maybe a little defensive as I live in Utah and I'd hate someone to be suspicious of me just because of where I live). I swim with my monofin all the time, because it's easier for me than swimming without it. It's one of the few forms of exercise I enjoy. Do I have access to an ocean? No. But do I enjoy swimming with my fin? Heck, yes!

I'd be more suspicious of the price, as it looks too good to be true for a competitor, and there's got to be something wrong with it if he's selling it at so far below cost.

My main argument was to bring up the odd-ness of the description for this ebay bid. Yes, I agree it does look to good to be true, and of course you can use the monofin at the pool. Things in the description just did not sound right, anyways there may have been something wrong with the fin, i also noticed no pictures were posted of the fin he was describing. I also agreed in my first post about the price. Too good to be true.

Thalassa
11-19-2012, 12:04 AM
If the listing weren't over I'd offer to drive up and inspect it for you. XP The lack of pictures is seriously one of those things that makes me go, "Okay, I'll look for something else."