PDA

View Full Version : How would I make a tail?

MermaidAubrin
08-07-2011, 02:46 PM
So I just posted asking if I should get a mertailor tail but the 2 thought occured 1.can I make my one (realistic) tail silicone or latex2. Does anyone now how to make (realistic) silicone or latex I think it would be a better idea for some one to make me one (I can pay you) seeing I lac skill with sewing or really anything that has to do with making things. And I if I did try to make a tail it would probably end up having my crying surrounded by a lot of material that I have no clue what to do with(not literally... I hope)

Kanti
08-07-2011, 03:12 PM
I'll provide you with some basic info.
There are lots of threads in this forum section that go step by step on how to make one as well, so feel free to check them out to help
you see what the process of each material requires.

If you're making a realistic tail, you're going to need neoprene. So the first thing you should do is either check out a nearby fabric store and see if they
have it, or check the prices online. Neoprene is around $18 a yard online plus shipping. A few members, including myself, found neoprene at Joann Fabric
stores for $20 a yard. Since Joann regularly gives out 40% to 50% coupons and you don't have to pay shipping, this is easily the least expensive method.

As for the silicone or latex, you're going to have to see how you'd like to make it. Lots of people on this forum have used caulk with great success, but
using caulk can be very obnoxious and caulk releases harmful chemicals when it's wet. There are MANY different types of caulk as well. Using the 100%
silicone caulk is a great and cheap method to create a full silicone tail without actually paying for the silicone. It is expensive compared to regular caulk,
though, so I wouldn't recommend it for your first tail. Another thing is, most 100% silicone caulks are unpaintable. There are paintable brands, but they
cost extra.
The other type of caulk is known as acrylic caulk. It's known for being less sturdy than 100% silicone caulk, but it has no major flaws. It's made from a
combination of latex and silicone, so if you have latex allergies, you shouldn't use it. It can be found at most hardware stores and is VERY cheap. If you're
going to use caulk, I would go with acrylic.

Using costume latex IS a method you can use, but it's highly unreliable. Latex itself is very smelly when it's wet. People are also sometimes commonly
known to become allergic to it when they come into contact with it alot, but it really depends on the person. I mess with latex all the time and I don't
have any allergies, but I know people who can't smell it or they'll become ill. Another fault with latex is that it's fragile compared to silicone. Mask grade
latex is usually the strongest kind you can get and may hold out for some wear and tear, but I wouldn't use it. Also, it's very runny, so I would only
suggest latex if you're going to be using a mold.

And finally, the most expensive method is using ACTUAL silicone. There are lots of silicone brands and types. Smooth on is the kind you simply apply to
the surface and shape it how you would like, but many smooth on silicones can easily be replaced by the 100% silicone caulk for half the price.
Dragonskin is a very popular molding silicone. It's made from live-cast silicone, which means it's safe to apply and dry on the skin, which is why people
like it so much. Problem is, you need a mold for it.

Another method people like is to simply make neoprene or spandex
tails and simply paint the patterns on top. Spandex is also known as swim/dance wear. It's a much thinner material than neoprene and it's many times
stretchier. It's also only $12-14 a yard and can be readily found at any Joann's.

I would HIGHLY recommend making a spandex tail first so you can play with your sewing machine and get the hang of it before you get the more expensive
equipment and possibly use it wrong. Spandex tails are also very easy to make and are almost instant gratification. Since there is no dry time required
and everything can be sewn in one day, you'll have your tail much more quickly than you would if you got a realistic tail.
But making the realistic tails isn't hard either. You should just gather some more information before you tackle it.

MermaidAubrin
08-07-2011, 03:18 PM
Oh wow that's a lot of information thank you so much!!

lynsea
08-12-2011, 09:21 PM
The above post is an excellent source of basic information. I really do suggest that you read a bunch more of the posts on this forum and over at the old forum http://mer.yuku.com/ which has a great bunch of posts.