PDA

View Full Version : Merbellas Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

Mermaid Lorelei
04-03-2014, 10:13 PM
@Arella, I think you might be one of the only one's whose done a shoot that owns one. I did the shoot right before your's and do not have one.

Phoenix Mermaid
04-04-2014, 01:21 AM
:rotfl: Ha! I love that little comic!

Ariel-Starfish
04-04-2014, 02:12 PM
Basic tails have the neoprene lining on the inside. Performance tails don't have the neoprene, it's just silicone (and some sort of mesh lining I think).
So my tail no longer has the neoprene lining. Just the silicone scales now.

OMG! so hoping i get a spot in line soon! It def will be a rush order.

AniaR
04-04-2014, 02:13 PM
I doubt she can take you now. I'll be waiting til end of July at earliest and I've seen her workload.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Ariel-Starfish
04-04-2014, 02:15 PM
@Ariel Starfish you get them from doing a shoot, I have one

i know! I would love to own one! ^^

maybe I can ask one when I ship my tail back for the update! <3

Ariel-Starfish
04-04-2014, 02:18 PM
I doubt she can take you now. I'll be waiting til end of July at earliest and I've seen her workload.

august will be perfect! :) hehe. when u speak to her again, would u mind telling her I am more than intrested in a tail update? :D

Merman Arion
04-04-2014, 03:02 PM
OMG! so hoping i get a spot in line soon! It def will be a rush order.

Ariel, not my intention to stop you from doing what you want but are you aware of the amount of money you are going to spend for this??

new paint job + tail evolution + fins + merbella shirt + rush order + shipping back and forth + custom fees = lots of $$$ :money:

You got your basic tail since 8 months only. Just saying. :p

AniaR
04-04-2014, 03:13 PM
Yes I mind. Im not the secretary. She fits people in when their are issues with their tail if you just want an upgrade you'll be waiting I think. I ordered a month ago and that was my wait. She's taking others since then. Plus you have to consider shipping times. I think you'll be waiting til fall. If you sent an email and she didn't answer she is busy. My saying something to her doesn't change that.

shimmygoddess
04-04-2014, 04:09 PM
Ariel, just keep in mind it could be longer than that. I am almost at 8 months now. She did let me know it will be ready soon) :)

Mer-Crazy
04-04-2014, 04:34 PM

She did get it before Phoenix and I, who got it at the same time. So she's had it longer than Phoenix. All in all you're completely right though, the amount it will cost you to ship it and for all the updates it will end up making the tail cost at least as much as a performance if you add up the costs of the original and the tail anyway, possibly more. I'm not sure of the expense but didn't you say that your shipping was 500-600 Ariel? I can't remember.

AniaR
04-04-2014, 04:59 PM
she's not taking rush orders either, and Im pretty sure she's not taking anyone's anything until she's caught up on current tails and alterations.

Phoenix Mermaid
04-04-2014, 07:35 PM
Also keep in mind you will have to pay for shipping your tail TO Raven and BACK from Raven. I got my tail like 1-2 weeks after Selene, it was still being worked on a little. But I think Ariel got hers first, I don't much remember.

And yes, with the new amount I've put into my tail, the total could of bought me a performance tail to begin with. I wasn't expecting to have the extra money. Especially for the rush fee, but it worked out. And I had actually contacted Raven not too long after getting my tail about the change. ( I would have ordered a hybrid had I known she was making them, but had already ordered the basic months before she made her first hybrid, and didn't want to change it if she was already half way though production.) I think that may be the only reason she choose to take my rush order though.

I also could of bought a new tail that was a performance tail. But I couldn't justify a new tail, not even so I could take on a second mermaid. Plus I already love my tail and don't need a full silicone fluke ( besides mine is heavy enough :O_o: lol). I just need the silicone scales though, and that I could justify. The only reason I choose to do the rush order is because I hurt my feet so bad and need a better solution before my next gig so I'm actually able to do my gig the week after.

AniaR
04-04-2014, 08:32 PM
Im not tryin to discourage you from eventually doing it, I just know she can't right now. She's not taking rush, she has no time for new alterations that aren't 100% needed and no new orders. It's been shitty weather and she's working hard to stay on top of the insane amount she's got right now

MermaidMichelle
04-05-2014, 12:49 AM
Raina, let me just say that I really respect how helpful and protective you are of Raven. She's an extremely talented and dedicated mermaid who puts a great deal of creativity and energy into her work, and thus she can't be on here to explain herself. :mermaid kiss:

Phoenix Mermaid, your tail is amazing! Now you'll just have to decide how those tattered fins work into your mersona. Did you weather a storm, get into fights a lot, or were preyed upon (not entirely successfully)? :shark:

maclanaghan, that is a brilliantly-funny comic! Merci beaucoup! :mermaid kiss:

Ariel-Starfish
04-05-2014, 02:55 AM
I really don't get it why cause so mutch commotion about altering my tail? I <3 my tail, but there are some things that bother me. I got the skin waist totally out of proportion (My fault! , the tail looks shorter). The front of my tail is mutch lighter than the back, and dunno why. I try to get and like it, but I just LOOOOOVE the backside of my tail more. The neoprene is a hell to dry and takes a full week. Not to mention how hard it is to dry the inside if the footpockets and neoprene on top of it. AAnd last but not least: I hate my heals popping up out of my scales. Even how mutch I tried to hide them.... Urgh. I guesd I'm just a perfectionist. And if it will cost me the money I would have spend on a performance and more, so will be it.

Please be aware that I have Autism, and when u read all this it might sound harsh, but it's NOT ment this way.
If I have to wait untill fall for placing an order, I'm fine with that.

I'm sorry I want everything to be perfect.<3

So please, can we go on now? :surrender:

Ariel-Starfish
04-05-2014, 03:04 AM
Ariel, not my intention to stop you from doing what you want but are you aware of the amount of money you are going to spend for this??

new paint job + tail evolution + fins + merbella shirt + rush order + shipping back and forth + custom fees = lots of $$$ :money:

The more resons I think German mermaid Daniella Should be a pro tail maker. :) She has the skills for it and wants to do it, bud hasen't got the time for it.

Ariel-Starfish
04-05-2014, 05:44 AM
Here are full pictures of my tail for showing the color change. :)

AniaR
04-05-2014, 07:45 AM
I really don't get it why cause so mutch commotion about altering my tail? I <3 my tail, but there are some things that bother me. I got the skin waist totally out of proportion (My fault! , the tail looks shorter). The front of my tail is mutch lighter than the back, and dunno why. I try to get and like it, but I just LOOOOOVE the backside of my tail more. The neoprene is a hell to dry and takes a full week. Not to mention how hard it is to dry the inside if the footpockets and neoprene on top of it. AAnd last but not least: I hate my heals popping up out of my scales. Even how mutch I tried to hide them.... Urgh. I guesd I'm just a perfectionist. And if it will cost me the money I would have spend on a performance and more, so will be it.

Please be aware that I have Autism, and when u read all this it might sound harsh, but it's NOT ment this way.
If I have to wait untill fall for placing an order, I'm fine with that.

I don't think people are trying to gang up on you, but due to your autism you do tend to bring things up frequently and get very enthusiastic. Sometimes you just need a gentle reminder, and when one person (like me) posts something to you, we can't know that everyone else will too ;)

You dont have to defend your reasoning for wanting your tail fixed, it's like I said, I'm not trying to discourage you, just letting you know it's not possible right now. She's simply not going to be able to do it and I expect we'll see some sort of notice on her merbellas page directed at everyone on the topic of alterations and orders until she can get caught up.

I gotta admit, I don't see a huge difference between both sides of your tails at all. No more than anyone else's. It's pretty typical for the underbelly to be lighter but I can barely see that yours is different, so it may be that you're a little more sensitive to these things than anyone else. Also, many of the things you listed are still going to happen with a silicone tail. Heels are heels! Heel fins help that problem nicely, but they're also very easily damaged and you'll have to decide if that's something you can fix on your own or if you're going to need to ship it back to her the second one of them pulls off. I've have reattached my own heel fins a good 3 or 4 times despite working very hard to prevent them from coming off. They're just fragile, and in a spot that gets a lot of danger!

Ariel-Starfish
04-05-2014, 10:51 AM
I don't think people are trying to gang up on you, but due to your autism you do tend to bring things up frequently and get very enthusiastic. Sometimes you just need a gentle reminder, and when one person (like me) posts something to you, we can't know that everyone else will too ;)

You dont have to defend your reasoning for wanting your tail fixed, it's like I said, I'm not trying to discourage you, just letting you know it's not possible right now. She's simply not going to be able to do it and I expect we'll see some sort of notice on her merbellas page directed at everyone on the topic of alterations and orders until she can get caught up.

I gotta admit, I don't see a huge difference between both sides of your tails at all. No more than anyone else's. It's pretty typical for the underbelly to be lighter but I can barely see that yours is different, so it may be that you're a little more sensitive to these things than anyone else. Also, many of the things you listed are still going to happen with a silicone tail. Heels are heels! Heel fins help that problem nicely, but they're also very easily damaged and you'll have to decide if that's something you can fix on your own or if you're going to need to ship it back to her the second one of them pulls off. I've have reattached my own heel fins a good 3 or 4 times despite working very hard to prevent them from coming off. They're just fragile, and in a spot that gets a lot of danger![/COLOR]

Thanks for the positive note (and calming me down,lol)

Well for the fin ripping off thingie, I probably would order some silicone and fix it up myself.

Mermaid Crystal told me I could contact someone from The Netherlands for some paint job, but I dunno what to do. (Seems unfair to Raven, but cheaper, what if it's not the same, etc.)

For now I just try to forget everyting and try to focus on my trip to London :)

But I still want a shirt like that. :D tehee.

Ariel-Starfish
04-05-2014, 11:16 AM
*and here is a better picture how it looks like - exact. :)

PearlieMae
04-05-2014, 11:57 AM
To me, the difference is subtle...but I don't have an airbrushed tail.

MermaidMichelle
04-05-2014, 01:53 PM
I can actually see the colouration difference between the front and back of Ariel's tail quite easily, and wonder if it wasn't intentional.

Most fish and cetaceans have evolved a dark back and light underside for the purposes of camouflage. When seen from above, one wishes to blend in with the dark depths below. When seen from below, one wishes to blend in with the light above. I was thinking of this truth specifically when designing my tail, and thus I intentionally incorporated it into the proposed paint job. I suspect that Raven was thinking along the same lines when she painted Ariel_Starfish's; she wanted it to look realistic. Thus I would recommend against changing it.

Ariel, in your lovely swimming-pool mermaid give in your signature, all I notice is a bit of heel and some natural creasing as your fluke turns to us. Maybe it's because you are so graceful and your tail so beautiful, but I am inclined to quote Joan of Arc and say that this matter is "a little thing; less than nothing." :mermaid kiss:

Arella
04-05-2014, 03:27 PM
Did anyone else see the new tops she made on instagram? I'm loving the one with all the smaller sea shells <3

Merman Arion
04-05-2014, 04:33 PM
Did anyone else see the new tops she made on instagram? I'm loving the one with all the smaller sea shells <3

You mean these three? They are amazing! :D

(source : Merbellastudios Instagram)

MerEmma
04-05-2014, 04:37 PM
I LOVE the first and last one SO much. <3

Phoenix Mermaid
04-05-2014, 05:17 PM
I love the shell top, sooo pretty! I'm really wondering who the red one is for.

Arella
04-05-2014, 05:27 PM
Yep! I love the 1st one so much :)

AniaR
04-05-2014, 07:09 PM
that middle one looks like it would work for kailani's tail

Anahita
04-05-2014, 09:26 PM
Dat abalone tho

Omg, seriously though, I love the way that looks. I wish my girls could fit into that!

Triton-Mahtlinnie
04-05-2014, 09:40 PM
Wow, that second top is really spectacular. I wonder if Merbella would ever considering doing a merman top similar to it, I would buy one so fast.

Mermaid Wesley
04-05-2014, 10:07 PM
Wowza!

Sent from my shellphone using Tapatalk

Mermaid Saphira
04-05-2014, 10:30 PM
Oh my cod. That last one is...I can't even put words to it! I have to get one like that one day! :swoon:

MermaidMichelle
04-05-2014, 10:39 PM
I also quite like the last one, and also the middle one. The central one's scale pattern reminds me a bit of some fiery alien insect's face, but it is a cool look! :cthulhu:

Starfrit
04-06-2014, 12:36 AM
Augh, that red and gold siren top! <3 That's the style I'm hoping to get from her someday in my mersona's colors. It's seriously my favorite top design by her!

The details on that abalone shell top, though... I just drooled all over my keyboard. WOWZA INDEED.
:swoon:

Ariel-Starfish
04-06-2014, 01:38 AM
Albone top! :drool:

Mermaid Kalliope
04-08-2014, 02:41 AM
that middle one looks like it would work for kailani's tail

I was thinking the same thing! I saw it and went... "DAMN... I would totally wear that! It goes so perfectly with my tail!"

Gah, makes me love that she-creature top even more!

Oh, and the other two are lovely, as well. All the little shells aat a bit too much for my personal style, but I can see someone pulling it off quite nicely. :-)

Mizuko
04-08-2014, 07:33 PM
Ah, I LOVE the abalone top! <3

Sirena The Coral Reef Koi
04-08-2014, 11:26 PM
Omg I'm so exited yay Raven emailed me she said she should be finishing eveything up and be shipping it out by Friday! Omg yayayay I can't wait lol anyone know how much shipping to Australia might be haha?

AniaR
04-08-2014, 11:45 PM
Probably 300-500$ if you want it quickly. Shipping to me was 350$

Winged Mermaid
04-08-2014, 11:49 PM
I'm wanting to say that other AU mermaids payed about $400

Mizuko
04-09-2014, 12:53 AM
I paid about $400-$450 to get it to South Australia :)

Mer-Crazy
04-09-2014, 01:20 AM
About $450-500 for me, including conversion to US dollars.

MermaidMichelle
04-09-2014, 01:51 PM
Merci beaucoup for all of the figures, everyone; I want to know how much to budget for when Raven sends my tail & top to me in Ontario, Canada! :mermaid kiss:

Mermaid Adriel
04-09-2014, 02:29 PM
You mean these three? They are amazing! :D

(source : Merbellastudios Instagram)

the third one is so lovely >w<

AniaR
04-15-2014, 08:17 AM
At 130 am last night raven sent me sketches of her plan for my tail and I am beside myself.

PearlieMae
04-15-2014, 09:09 AM
AND???

Marlin
04-15-2014, 11:51 AM
She's keeping it a secret from us remember? :P.

Merman Arion
04-15-2014, 11:53 AM

Hey Marlin. WHERE are the pictures of you in your tail?? ;) :p
Post them in the Finfolk thread when you can. Stop making us wait lol :D

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk

PearlieMae
04-15-2014, 12:14 PM

No, I don't remember AND THAT'S NO EXCUSE!

::: insert hissy fit :::

AniaR
04-15-2014, 12:17 PM
I was keeping it a secret from me lol. I told Raven to do what she wanted. She came up with something amazing while still being true to how I already established my look
I am so excited. Gah it is going to be hard to be patient lol

Merman Arion
04-15-2014, 12:19 PM
No, I don't remember AND THAT'S NO EXCUSE!

::: insert hissy fit :::

the current state of PearlieMae :p

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m87blh3i9C1rt84fgo1_400.gif

Mermaid Adriel
04-15-2014, 12:19 PM
WOW, I can't wait to see what she did *w*

Marlin
04-15-2014, 12:37 PM
I was keeping it a secret from me lol.

I got MOST of the message correct... :\

@ Arion- I had to send it back to lengthen the back side to account for my back side. The back of the tail didn't quite have me covered all the way. I'll post plenty (in the finfolk thread) when it gets back and I have a chance to go to the beach :).

MermaidMichelle
04-15-2014, 12:41 PM
I am taking the same approach as Raina (pretty much); I sent Raven a detailed b&w sketch of my Fire Angelfish tail and then requested a matching dragon-style corset top. The latter I simply described without sketching; she offered such fine ideas for the tail that I trust her implicitly when designing the top. She's an artistic mer-genius! :mermaid kiss:

Arella
04-15-2014, 12:47 PM
That's so exciting : ) I can't wait to see how your tail turns out Raina

AniaR
04-15-2014, 12:51 PM
Ps for any clients here she's got another storm day there :(

Arella
04-15-2014, 01:22 PM
Raina I really hate to ask you but if you think about it next time you talk to Raven could you just mention I still need my flash drive of pics? :( If not thats totally fine too

shimmygoddess
04-15-2014, 02:15 PM
:( what is up with this damn weather....getting so anxious!!!

Arella
04-15-2014, 03:12 PM
Tell me about it lol I'm not in FL but theres snow on the ground here :P I was going to pack up my winter clothes this weekend too...

Mermaid Isabel(:
04-15-2014, 03:18 PM
:( what is up with this damn weather....getting so anxious!!!

I know how you feel, I am on day 289 and I haven't seen any pictures yet :-/

MerEmma
04-15-2014, 03:37 PM
I'm three hours north of Raven, ish, and it's storming SO bad here. Really dark and dreary and it's pouring down hard, so it's definitely not the right weather for pouring silicone...

AniaR
04-15-2014, 04:50 PM
Or painting since she paints outside

MermaidMichelle
04-16-2014, 01:34 PM
There is much wisdom in that; the fumes disperse in a far more healthy manner, and a pleasant day provides better lighting in which to photograph her work in progress!

MerEmma
04-16-2014, 02:17 PM
And today I believe it's right on the edge of too cold to mix any silicone outdoors. It could probably be done, but it'd be a risky endeavor... :P

AniaR
04-16-2014, 03:03 PM
She just had a power outage :( people wonder why she is always pulling all nighters lol

Merman Arion
04-16-2014, 03:15 PM
She just had a power outage :( people wonder why she is always pulling all nighters lol

Please, don't tell me she's gonna work with some lamp torch in her mouth... She wouldn't dare, would she?

Lol :lol:

AniaR
04-16-2014, 05:09 PM
she's done it before hahahaha. but with painting she really likes to be able to have the best light so she can see the tails in all lighting and be sure they look great

Merman Arion
04-16-2014, 05:48 PM
she's done it before hahahaha. but with painting she really likes to be able to have the best light so she can see the tails in all lighting and be sure they look great

Oh boy... I can picture this. Lol

MermaidMichelle
04-17-2014, 11:25 AM
It is nice that you are so closely in-touch with Raven, Raina. The more we read of her, the more impressed we are with her work ethic! :mermaid kiss:

AniaR
04-17-2014, 01:01 PM
Raven is one of my best friends. :) we actually talk about things non mermaid lol can you imagine hehe

Arella
04-17-2014, 01:20 PM
Well I hope she doesn't work herself too hard it's not healthy : ( not that I need to tell anyone how to live their lives...

AniaR
04-17-2014, 01:33 PM
I did remind her about your pics

lynsea
04-17-2014, 02:56 PM
New tail! Pretty standard coloration which I love but that fluke is gorgeous!

AniaR
04-17-2014, 03:16 PM
Stunning

Arella
04-17-2014, 03:21 PM
Thanks so much Raina! : )

MerEmma
04-17-2014, 04:06 PM
Reminds me of the other one she did a little bit ago with the Angler fluke, I LOVE how Kailani's fluke looks, even when it's cut out! It looks SO good with this color scheme...I love it, ungh. It looks so good. I really love the sort of blue-raspberry lemonade it reminds me of.

AniaR
04-17-2014, 05:10 PM
welp. Raven did it again. she just created a new innovating top, setting the bar super high again for others. I can't post it til she watermarks a pic and shares, but wow wait til you see. mind blowing.

Merman Arion
04-17-2014, 05:13 PM
This new tail is breath taking ! :D
Raina, I have a question regarding dorsals. Raven does a great job with them and she's almost making me want to get one too with Finfolk. But I wonder, does rolling your tail down always wear/damage the dorsal or not at all if we take extra care of it? How do you do with yours? (Ok, that's two questions lol)

AniaR
04-17-2014, 05:17 PM
the only thing that ever damaged my dorsal ever was another mer shoving me and throwing herself across my tail while I was sitting on a gritty pool deck at NCMerfest. I'd had my dorsal for almost a year with no issue until then. I just re-siliconed it and it was fine. For rolling down it's never been a problem.

PearlieMae
04-17-2014, 05:18 PM
welp. Raven did it again. she just created a new innovating top, setting the bar super high again for others. I can't post it til she watermarks a pic and shares, but wow wait til you see. mind blowing.

Good for her! (Though, I'm going to be really annoyed if it's similar to the tops I've been developing!) :O_o::biting nails:

Merman Arion
04-17-2014, 05:24 PM

On that subject, so did the Finfolk duet. It's gonna be an interesting battle of creativity. It's amazing how both tailmakers are talented. I recall MerNation did as well but it's classic scales though. With summer coming, I would say its perfect timing :)

Morticia Mermaid
04-17-2014, 05:49 PM
Colors and fins on that tail are really pretty. Fluke texture kind of looks similar to this one

Is it just a cut down version maybe?

Merman Arion
04-17-2014, 05:51 PM

It IS a cute down version.
Just like we saw with the previous koi tail she made earlier :)

Morticia Mermaid
04-17-2014, 06:03 PM
Ah. Cool. I like the cut down shape better than the original

Mer-Crazy
04-17-2014, 06:05 PM
Good for her! (Though, I'm going to be really annoyed if it's similar to the tops I've been developing!) :O_o::biting nails:
Don't worry pearlie <3 Raven would never copy. And if they happened to look similar... Well that would be a super crazy coincidence! I mean you're both so creative! There are so many possibilities that I doubt you have anything to worry about <3

PearlieMae
04-17-2014, 06:25 PM
Oh, I'm not afraid of her copying me! She has plenty of creativity! I just wouldn't want to be accused of copying her! Even though I post my tailmaking journey, I do have a lot of other irons in the fire...and there has been more than one instance where someone has beaten me to the punch!

Mer-Crazy
04-17-2014, 09:53 PM
I don't think anyone would accuse you of copying either though. I feel like you're too honest and have too much integrity for that. And if anyone does accuse you of copying then I'll be on your side <3

PearlieMae
04-17-2014, 10:05 PM
Awww! :hug:

AniaR
04-17-2014, 11:27 PM
I think this top of Raven's will have most beat,I've never seen anything like it yet ;) most just go for either scales or seaweed, a few try starfish or ocotops. This is reimagined I feel. I think a few people may have seen it here from her personal fb or IG. I hope she posts it! Certainly made me want one haha I am going to be poor forever at this rate

AniaR
04-17-2014, 11:28 PM
sorry, I'm very excited Not to imply by any stretch that Pearlie's wont kick ass,because if anything Pearlie is a huge innovator. She's also pulled a few firsts with her tail project ;) :blowkiss:

Mer-Crazy
04-18-2014, 01:26 AM
Speaking of Raven and tops there was a picture she posted a while ago on instagram promising a top for 'busty mermaids' but I never saw anything else about it. Did it not work out?

Also, does anyone know the owner of this tail? I love pink so much, don't get to see man in full silicone tail

Merley
04-18-2014, 01:32 AM
I'm curious about who the pink tail went to as well. My tail is going to be predominantly pink <3 I can't wait! I love that color though.

Merman Arion
04-18-2014, 01:48 AM
This is a tail that Mizuko would have loved to get and she would be great on it. She loves pastel colors :)

Mer-Crazy
04-18-2014, 01:52 AM
I love pastel colours too <3 Unfortunately because of my skin and hair I look better in darker and more intense colours :/

Merman Arion
04-18-2014, 01:55 AM
I love pastel colours too <3 Unfortunately because of my skin and hair I look better in darker and more intense colours :/

I hear you.. :(
I'm blond with a mix of ginger, my skin is pale without being too much white (thanks god for not looking like fucking Edward Cullen..) so there are colors that I should avoid as well. That's a bummer but there are worse things. :)

Mizuko
04-18-2014, 03:30 AM
This is a tail that Mizuko would have loved to get and she would be great on it. She loves pastel colors :)

haha, yes, I would have LOVED to get a tail as pink as this!! :D <3 Its certainly on my 'dream colours' list, hehe!

SeaNymph
04-18-2014, 06:20 AM
I was very sad and shocked when I saw Ravens newly made tail because it looks like an almost perfect color copy of my tail :-( 20123

Here's my tail. I also asked Raven for a blended waist during working process last year and she agreed. For some reasons she didn't do it in the end and I recieved my tail without. I was fine with that and didn't mention it anymore because it had no major priority for me. 20124

I really love Merbellas for their quality and art and I love Raven for her great personality. But one of the main reasons I ordered from them was because of their tails being unique and individual. But this is a little too close for my taste. Well, okay, there's a little hope for me that at least our front sides are colored differently...

Merman Arion
04-18-2014, 06:35 AM
IMO, you are too hard on yourself. The fins, the dorsal, the fluke aren't the same and the colors are more green on the newly made tail. Technically, your tail IS unique. I see where you're going and it could be a valid point but they are gonna look alike to the public's eyes while to us, merfolks, we know they are totally different. You shouldn't put much thoughts about it. Just saying :)

SeaNymph
04-18-2014, 07:19 AM
Thanks Arion. I know that I shouldn't think to much about it.
That photo of my tail was given to me before the final finish. In reality my tail is a little more turquoise and I also have hints of gold in my dorsal and heel fins.
I totally see that fluke and extra fins are shaped differently but the colors... hmm, I'm just a little... disappointed because it is the public's eye for that we perform and they really won't see any differences between these two tails like we merfolk do. That is what worries me...

Winged Mermaid
04-18-2014, 07:20 AM
I'm sorry you feel that way :( I would be pretty hurt if I thought she made one that I thought was really close to my tail color scheme for some one else, becuase identity is something we connect to our tails. However, keep in mind that blues and golds are extremely common for people to request. It's hard to keep things unique when so many people are asking for the same thing all the time. Especially becuase Raven has a certian style of painting, and people usually go to her becuase they like that and want theirs to be colored in that style. I know Raven works really hard to try and make tails unique for everyone. This is why she started trimming the molded pieces for flukes and fins both (which she did for both on the newer tail), so they can be more OOAK / unique. I can see here she was trying to switch it up by doing lighter on the inside and darker on the outside rather than the darker in the center and lighter on the outside on yours, and throwing some green in there. I mean a lot of other tailmakers literally do the exact same color schemes on literally dozens of tails, and Raven works hard to make everything unique. I mean with the amount of blue tails she makes they're still different every time- that's kind of mind blowing to me, personally.

I don't want to invalidate your feelings- you have a right to feel what you do- but I hope you'll consider some of those points at least.

SeaNymph
04-18-2014, 08:07 AM
Absolutely, Iona! And I'm glad you understand my feelings so well. I can see your points and I can only imagine how difficult it must be for Raven to create clearly visible color differences in blue tails, especially the back sides. And yes, I think many of Ravens clients tend to just wanting already finished color schemes and styles that they see on FB photos instead of thinking about their own merperson style. So for now I just hope that frontside and possible bra will be different from mine ;-)

MerEmma
04-18-2014, 09:31 AM
OMG! That first tail is yours? It's SO gorgeous. Your color scheme looks amazing. Seriously, I LOVE that tail.

Arella
04-18-2014, 12:23 PM
Ya I saw the top and it really is amazing and so original : )

AniaR
04-18-2014, 12:40 PM
just be careful folks when posting other people's tail, they may belong to someone on the forum who had no intention of copying you. Don't wanna hurt anyone's feelings ;) I think she means the second tail is hers, the first tail is one Raven recently posted.

PearlieMae
04-18-2014, 01:47 PM
Ya I saw the top and it really is amazing and so original : )

Where did you see it? I'm so curious!

MermaidMichelle
04-18-2014, 02:11 PM
Well, SeaNymph, at least the fluke is quite distinct....Though I have noticed a recurring trend among Merbella Studio's customers; wishing that our tails could be more "upgraded" after seeing Raven top herself yet again!

By the way, Arion and Raina; thank you for asking and answering the question about rolling up dorsal fins; I've been curious about that for awhile as I shall have a dorsal and two pectoral fins (the latter on my hips). :mermaid kiss:

AniaR
04-18-2014, 02:26 PM
People had tails with those color schemes before you though

I do wanna say though Raven does not LET people copy other tails. There is no way someone saw your colours on her FB and said "I want a tail just like that" and she said yes. She always tells people no. I sincerely think this is just a case of similar colours and it's going to happen a lot in the mermaid community. There's no way to avoid it. plus, i'm fairly certain that while the colours are similar they are totally different pigments. As it's been pointed out the tails themselves are different too. Blue and gold is super popular you can see that in all of the tail makers (that looks green and gold to me, your computer monitor shows colours differently unless you have it calibrated and different light looks different too)

Other blue and gold or similar tails:

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1.0-9/539239_677110779011672_1477261362_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t31.0-8/1487749_644350502287700_1499017959_o.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1.0-9/1499653_628121417243942_570176297_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1.0-9/988726_605442876178463_1524124210_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t31.0-8/1267278_597698033619614_1875194109_o.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1.0-9/1240193_578040862251998_1149614528_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/t31.0-8/1172791_570945679628183_1867313083_o.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1.0-9/945009_531548453567906_1646447581_n.jpg

tails by other tail makers in that same scheme:
(linked only cuz this is merbellas thread ;) )
https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t1.0-9/1901380_851308564886727_1459821570010332962_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t31.0-8/1796719_834902433194007_1832938002_o.jpg
https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/1502529_772988692718715_1014112744_n.jpg
https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/1001675_684312571586328_280667000_n.jpg

I think unless you add some defining features, a blue/green tail with gold/yellow accents is fairly vague. If you had a bunch of stripes and spots etc and they were identical on another Id get that. but it be like Iona getting upset because blue mermaid has blue tails with purple accents, when purple is pretty commonly used for accent with blue.

AniaR
04-18-2014, 02:30 PM
when you see the tails all lined up like that yours looks really similar to Hyli's ;) I think it's all a matter of light and perspective!

Mermaid Wesley
04-18-2014, 02:36 PM
(Not trying to invalidate anyone's feelings here) in addition to what's been said, as a person trying to come up with a color scheme, it's really hard to be original. People have had tails of every color and since I don't want any bold pattern like stripes or spots, it's really difficult to come up with a color scheme that I find pretty and that doesn't look like a rip off of someone else that I talk to on here. That being said, I did find something I think works well and if someone were to come out with a very similar color scheme shortly
Before or after mine I would be bummed, but you can't really blame them. They probably didn't do it on purpose and things happen. It's more than likely that no members of the public will ever see both of us in our tails and will never know better anyways. *shrug*

AniaR
04-18-2014, 02:37 PM
Haha I know I am beating this to death just as someone who does photography and photoshop etc I know light plays a huge role in how colours come across along with white balance (which phones are known for messing up).

Here is a better look at your tail and the other tail side by side

See what I'm getting at? All perspective, and light. Just like in the photo links above yours look so similar to Hyli's.

Theta
04-18-2014, 02:55 PM
I know it sucks to have others with similar tail colors- it happens to me a lot, too. Sometimes I get really jealous of other people with tails in the same kind of color scheme as me, and I have to step back and remind myself that a) there's nothing new or really unique under the sun, and b) there is only so much you can do with a tail format. I started to think of it as less of a "you're stealing my idea!" issue and more in the sense of "I'm a sunset mermaid, and there are other sunset mermaids too! Cool, it's like we're mermaids from the same family tree."

Raven tries really hard to make each tail unique. Some of them might be complementary, but don't get rattled if you can help it :) Look at pictures of bridal parties- a lot of the time they're in the same color, but different dresses. But when you put everyone side by side, they're clearly individuals :)

Here's a couple of examples of tails that are similar in color to mine, so you know you're not alone in this issue:

Mine:

Similar to mine, also by Raven:

By others (Mertailor, MVD, Finfolk)

They're all beautiful, all similar, but still unique :)

Mermaid Wesley
04-18-2014, 03:22 PM
I like the idea that you're related! Mer family's have similar tails obviously lol

Mermaid Kalliope
04-18-2014, 03:29 PM
I agree that having something basic as "I want a (insert basic colour) tail" can only go so far. Personally, I'm not too worried about being copied, but that's because I went so bold and out there. Without doing that, it's hard to be completely unique. But, hey, look at fish! There's more than one clown fish in the ocean, and quite a few of them look similar. There are a few whose patterns are different than the average, but they still have the same colour.

So, why can't mermaids be from the same species? What's really different is the person IN the tail. :-)

Side note: My fluke is getting some love! :-) I wonder what people call it. Hm... Like what do they ask for when they want it for their tail?

(Also, I think that fluke is only available cut down like that. She and I are the only ones with the straight edge. ...I think.)

MermaidMichelle
04-18-2014, 03:36 PM
Well said, Kailani, and your tail is gorgeous! I would call it "Hawaiian Sunset", but that's just me. :mermaid kiss:

I certainly hope mine is unique; not because I don't want other fiery angels around (a whole host of us would be extremely cool), but because I don't want anyone else to go through the near-death experience I did to be inspired to do it!

Theta
04-18-2014, 03:48 PM
I agree that having something basic as "I want a (insert basic colour) tail" can only go so far. Personally, I'm not too worried about being copied, but that's because I went so bold and out there. Without doing that, it's hard to be completely unique. But, hey, look at fish! There's more than one clown fish in the ocean, and quite a few of them look similar. There are a few whose patterns are different than the average, but they still have the same colour.

So, why can't mermaids be from the same species? What's really different is the person IN the tail. :-)

Side note: My fluke is getting some love! :-) I wonder what people call it. Hm... Like what do they ask for when they want it for their tail?

(Also, I think that fluke is only available cut down like that. She and I are the only ones with the straight edge. ...I think.)

Definitely Hawaiian or Tropical Sunset - the colors are sooooo vivid!!! :D

AniaR
04-18-2014, 03:52 PM
I think this pic from NCMerfest sums up the colour overlap really well, lol

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1.0-9/1010388_790480330986712_2052086303_n.jpg

Phoenix Mermaid
04-18-2014, 04:05 PM
Finnally have my Unboxing video up for my Hybrid Tail (after tail evolution upgrade)

http://youtu.be/iY5JY2q_wCs

MerEmma
04-18-2014, 04:48 PM
The glitter looks SO good on your tail! I love your voice; and your tail's color scheme is so pretty. <3 There's no powermesh backing on your tail though is there?

MermaidMichelle
04-18-2014, 07:06 PM
Yes, indeed; both your tail and you yourself are cute and lovely! :mermaid kiss: I am also quite pleased with how the fins and the glitter came out; it should be impressive in the water too!

Once again a customer is rewarded by relying on Raven's creativity and artistic advice! The Dragonskin silicone is very fleshy in appearance and texture, though I am a bit worried about the hearts when it comes to donning the tail. What lubricant did you use on your legs to minimize friction, if I may ask?

SeaNymph
04-18-2014, 07:21 PM
Ha ha, I really love all your tail pictures to show me similar colors!!! But, seriously: everything is okay, I can clearly see now that the tails are colored differently. Raven is in fact a genius to do even blue tails unique!

AniaR
04-18-2014, 08:00 PM
though I am a bit worried about the hearts when it comes to donning the tail. What lubricant did you use on your legs to minimize friction, if I may ask?

The hearts are an experiment, I wouldn't be worried about them. As someone who owns a tail I think it's a great addition as those areas have a lot of stress, but they're still being tested out with various mers. ;) if they concern you too much you can always ask her not to add them. She's actually mailing me some so I can add them myself to my tail.

Ha ha, I really love all your tail pictures to show me similar colors!!! But, seriously: everything is okay, I can clearly see now that the tails are colored differently. Raven is in fact a genius to do even blue tails unique!

Sorry if I overdid it in my replies :p I was talking to Iona about my posts and said I was trying not to be defensive and she said "you might of sounded a bit defensive" LOL. <3 I think I'm too used to people needing a mountain of evidence in order to see my view point

also I always call people with merbellas tail or the same coloured tail as me tail sisters haha XD

Theta
04-18-2014, 08:04 PM
Yes, indeed; both your tail and you yourself are cute and lovely! :mermaid kiss: I am also quite pleased with how the fins and the glitter came out; it should be impressive in the water too!

Once again a customer is rewarded by relying on Raven's creativity and artistic advice! The Dragonskin silicone is very fleshy in appearance and texture, though I am a bit worried about the hearts when it comes to donning the tail. What lubricant did you use on your legs to minimize friction, if I may ask?

I use mineral oil or baby oil. In a huge pinch, I'll use conditioner, but only when I'm desperate, which has been once.

Mer-Crazy
04-18-2014, 08:39 PM

I just call it the Kailani Fluke... though I suppose that wouldn't apply to someone who's not on the network.

I use mineral oil or baby oil. In a huge pinch, I'll use conditioner, but only when I'm desperate, which has been once.

Also I heard mineral oil and baby oil are not good for your tail. So if I'm wrong someone please correct me, if not then maybe it's something you should think about changing in the future <3

Mermaid Viktoria
04-18-2014, 08:43 PM
I'm not a fan of using mineral oil or baby oil -- I've also heard it could possibly damage the tail. I know people use personal lubricants, and I've done that for some shoots too and it works quite well haha, though it does leave a strange peeling residue when you're washing off. I personally like coconut oil, it's gentle and leaves you smooth and smelling nice ;)

Mermaid Harmony
04-18-2014, 09:06 PM
O my word those hearts are genius, I always try to slide it up instead of pull, but it always invariably happens. I use waterbased lube and a water bottle of water to get mine on, and put water in the tail and on my legs, and then lube up one leg, put it in, lube up the other put it in, and then put more water and lube on my thighs and backs of top legs and waist, and then roll it all the way up. Works like a charm.

AniaR
04-18-2014, 09:08 PM
I'm going to be honest about the lubricant here, it is wildly debated. the lubricant usually gets washed off my legs when I swim so I don't worry too much about what I use when I swim. If I'm going to be sitting in the tail on dry land for a while I try to use something that will evaporate quickly because of sweat issues. As long as you clean your tail out effectively I think you're fine. I have a super thin tail. It only become an issue when you leave ANYTHING organic sitting in your tail for a long period of time. it'll cause mold and loads of issue.

Mermaid Wesley
04-18-2014, 09:25 PM
Hm didn't I read somewhere thy Vaseline is a no-go with silicone?

AniaR
04-18-2014, 10:11 PM
I think anything petroleum is probably bad in general for everything lol

Phoenix Mermaid
04-18-2014, 10:26 PM
Raven also tied straps on the foot pocket straps to help me pull the straps up over my heels. The straps come up to my knees, I just tuck them infront/behind my legs and I don't really notice it.
I only ever successfully put neoprene socks on with my basic tail ONCE. I was never able to get it on with socks after that. I have barely any issues pulling the straps up over my heels with socks on now that its a hybrid tail.

The glitter looks SO good on your tail! I love your voice; and your tail's color scheme is so pretty. <3 There's no powermesh backing on your tail though is there?

Thank you MerEmma. There's some sort of mesh on the inside, it does have a layer of silicone over it though I think.

Thank you MermaidMichelle! Rainas right, the hearts are only experimental. I pretty sure the only reason mine popped is because I spent an hour and a half fighting with it the first time I put it on. And about 45minutes fighting with it the 2nd time I put it on. (It took real beating from me and my friend as we tried getting it on me those 2 times)
By the 3rd time I put it on, I finally had everything figured out on how to put it on, and got it on in 20minutes with a lot less effort. I don't think they will pop anymore though. Plus Raven is always improving her ideas I'm sure the technique will be set in no time :)
I like the hearts and feel a little safer with them there for pulling. (also the hearts popping has caused no damage to any other part of the tail or scales(outside and inside.)

I use personal water-based lubricant from Target (target brand) and a water spray bottle. I can't get the tail on with just water. It seems to stick pretty good to my skin. I can't use just the lubricant because it is sticky and dried fast.
So I put lots of lube on my skin, spray it with a little water, and it gets really slippery. And once my skin is in the tail, it seems to stay slippery so I can easily push&pull wrinkles up and out of it. And it just kind of washes away as I swim in the water, and the tail sticks to me nicely. And that seems to work very well for me.

I plan on trying other lubes, this is just what was easy&quick for me to buy.

AniaR
04-18-2014, 10:53 PM
it does get easier. silicone tails are just such beasts to get on. I can get mine on i about 2 minutes now because I am so used to it.

shimmygoddess
04-18-2014, 11:11 PM
Just wanted to share pics from my tail. I had requested royal blue, teal, purple, gold. I sent photos of bellydance veils and some of my dance costumes to match the color tones I wanted. Different photos show the colors differently, so I am excited to see what it looks like in person. I love it! It will arrive last next week and I am a bit worried that I won't have enough 'practice time' getting in and out of it for my big gig next weekend. Any tips? It will be a dry land event :)20162

AniaR
04-18-2014, 11:23 PM
it looks stunning I am so happy for you

MerEmma
04-18-2014, 11:24 PM
The fins! I LOVE those fins.

Starfrit
04-18-2014, 11:34 PM
What exactly are the hearts for? I always thought they were just like a cute little piece of scrap that came along with the tails, like a Merbellas signature thing. I didn't know they apparently had a(n experimental) purpose?

Sorry if this has been mentioned before somewhere, I don't remember if I ever went through all 182 pages on this thread or not. XD

Mermaid Wesley
04-18-2014, 11:55 PM
That's a different heart. If you watch Phoenix's video there are little hearts stuck on the inside of the tail to reinforce some of it :)

04-19-2014, 12:11 AM
Wow both your tails look amazing <3 :D speaking of getting tails on i thought I read somewhere that you can use watered down conditioner for neoprene/silicone tail to get then on? Is this right?

Kishiko
04-19-2014, 12:40 AM
Colors and fins on that tail are really pretty. Fluke texture kind of looks similar to this one

Does this look like piano keys to anyone else? XD

Phoenix Mermaid
04-19-2014, 12:44 AM
I found putting on the neoprene/silicone tail worked best dry. While wet it has a lot of friction against the skin. I always had to make sure the neoprene in my tail was dry before I could put it on again and use it. I think it's still different for each person. Sometimes I would have to at least lube up my feet (I normally just used lotion.)

AniaR
04-19-2014, 01:49 AM
yeah I've always found neoprene works best dry

Mermaid Isabel(:
04-19-2014, 02:13 AM
Just wanted to share pics from my tail. I had requested royal blue, teal, purple, gold. I sent photos of bellydance veils and some of my dance costumes to match the color tones I wanted. Different photos show the colors differently, so I am excited to see what it looks like in person. I love it! It will arrive last next week and I am a bit worried that I won't have enough 'practice time' getting in and out of it for my big gig next weekend. Any tips? It will be a dry land event :)20162

I'm not sure why but the images aren't showing up for me :-/ I'm sure it looks gorgeous! :)

04-19-2014, 07:08 AM
Btw anyone know if the cold front has left were Raven lives, cause all I'm waiting in it a little spot pattern and my tail is done and since is been just over a week and a bit I'm guessing she didn't get a chance to paint them cause if the rain :(

MermaidMichelle
04-19-2014, 03:56 PM
Shimmy, that tail is gorgeous! Is it UV-reactive? Even if not, the contrast is strikingly beautiful!

Merci beaucoup to all of you who replied about the hearts and lubrication. I look forward to 2-120 minutes to put on my tail just after it arrives - leaning heavily toward the latter end as I've never donned a silicone tail before - and am happy for any hearts, straps, or other ideas Raven has which can help! I <3 her and I <3 all of you! :mermaid kiss:

shimmygoddess
04-19-2014, 05:05 PM
Shimmy, that tail is gorgeous! Is it UV-reactive? Even if not, the contrast is strikingly beautiful!

Not UV reactive :)

AniaR
04-19-2014, 05:38 PM
I just saw a rain warning on FB for Raven's area -_- I feel really bad for her. She is super stressed trying to get things done and weather is not helping. But on the plus side I know she's been able to get caught up on the embellishments etc of tops and stuff that people are also waiting on.

Mermaid Wesley
04-19-2014, 06:04 PM
Let's hope she doesn't overwork herself when the rain stops. She can't help the weather and I honk everyone who is waiting can understand.

Mermaid Wesley
04-19-2014, 06:06 PM
*think not honk lol

MermaidMichelle
04-19-2014, 06:17 PM
I daresay that was an example of a non-Freudian typo; you both "hope" and "think" that everyone can understand, so you combined the words! :mermaid kiss:

Mermaid Wesley
04-19-2014, 06:58 PM
Lol maybe so

Mermaid_Kenzee
04-21-2014, 01:44 AM
does any one know when raven will be taking orders again because I have the money and im ready to order, I plan on getting a basic tail for $1500 and just tell her some colors and let her design my tail, also does any one know what type of monofin comes in the tail I've read that it comes with a competitor monofin is that true????

Winged Mermaid
04-21-2014, 01:57 AM
Yes, the basic tails now come with a competitor monofin. She just took a few spots not long ago, but she staggers them by taking 1 or 2 here and there sometimes. She takes very few basic tail orders though. It might be soon that she takes more orders, but it might be months. You'll just have to watch her FB page for announcements about spots opening like everyone else ;)

MermaidMichelle
04-21-2014, 12:53 PM
Quite; Raven prefers to take performance tails because they allow more possibilities and creativity, and because basic tails' primary components are on par with and thus as difficult to make as those of performance tails.

Mermaid Harmony
04-21-2014, 01:14 PM
Kenzee, for real? Are you still going to get a fabric tail or something else to have in the meantime? Because even if you ordered today it won't be there for like 4 or so months.

AniaR
04-21-2014, 01:39 PM
I always try to post here too when I know she's taking orders or will be soon.

also just a reminder folks: please pay your shipping fees ;) if you want Raven to keep making tails, and you want to get your tail on time, you must pay those fees.

AniaR
04-21-2014, 01:46 PM

Raven has finally found a way around this, so we don't need to hash it out in terms of what she can do. We've talked about it a few times on this forum and while many people have ideas they think will work when Raven has tried to do them, they haven't. So they did go through the work to be sure that in the future this doesn't happen. But A LOT OF PEOPLE owe her shipping right now. And we're not talking little amounts, we're talking upwards of 800$ per tail, enough to make several tails combined. And some of these people are on the forums/active in the community.

Please be a decent person and pay your shipping. I know it sucks. But Raven pours everything she has into this to make sure clients are happy. In my opinion she is taken advantage of constantly by people who demand not to pay for things they really ought to be paying for. She is always honest. She's one of the few to give out full refunds even when she shouldnt or fix things for free.

If you wanna keep having her as a tail maker in the community, don't run her into the ground please. :/ I know of so many people I'd personally love to throw under the bus for pulling this stuff but I don't wanna cause drama for her, and she works VERY hard to not be like other tail makers who are all about drama.

pay your shipping!!!

shimmygoddess
04-21-2014, 02:16 PM
I think her new guideline are great! When I sell stuff people have to pay for shipping before I mail it, it really is the best way! I emailed her this morning to tell her, I have money for shipping all ready..LOL...I am just waiting on the invoice ;) I have to pay express fees to get it for this weekend, which is fine!! where is that graphic for 'take my money' when I need it. LOL

MermaidMichelle
04-21-2014, 02:35 PM
Ah yes; that .gif of Fry from Futurama has been popping into my head fairly often with regards to this as well. I have ~$1,000 stowed away for my top and shipping, with the possibility of going just a little bit higher in a doomsday scenario. A tail of Merbella Studios quality is a pretty big investment and we all need to plan ahead for it!

AniaR
04-21-2014, 06:13 PM
yes they have the means from home now to calculate accurate shipping, they didn't before, and were unable to set up COD as often suggested. So glad she figured something out, I was starting to feel like I was going to find a strong muscly armed paper boy. lol

drucilla
04-21-2014, 06:54 PM
Poor Raven, I hope she gets her money back soon. People should be calculating shipping and taxes before they buy anything. I know it is hard to get one of her tails but if you don't have all the money upfront then maybe you should do everyone a favor and wait to order till you do. I know that a lot of people including me, had all the money upfront before but couldn't get through due to all the spots being taken by others and if those same people are the ones refusing to pay shipping then they are just taking order spots from those who are actually paying customers

AniaR
04-21-2014, 08:04 PM
it can certainly be a shocker, it was 350$ to ship mine regular, not even rush. Ahhh. lol so I can imagine it freaks people out, but you gotta plan for that stuff.

Mermaid_Kenzee
04-21-2014, 10:33 PM
Mermaid Harmony: i plan on still making my neopreene tail and swim in that to keep me busy.
i just sent Raven an Email i just hope she sees it before it gets buried in her junk mail
and thank you eveyone who answered my Questins you guys are such a big help!!!!!

Mermaid Kalliope
04-22-2014, 04:12 AM
Hey whoa. Sorry it took so long to post... Mernetwork disagreed with my phone for a while.

My tail is actually based on a Flame Angel fish mainly. The markings for the fluke were inspired by guppies (and the new marking shapes), and the shape of the fluke is from a naso tang. It does still need a name, though. :-P

I hope I can afford to ship my tail back (along with any fees for getting it fixed and getting it back) soon. I have fixed my fins, but I really want to just send it back to Raven and have her just do her magic thing.

As for shipping, I'm glad they finally got something that works. :-) I think it's so rude to not pay the shipping. Especially when it's $100+. That's just not right. :-/

New tails look lovely! Phx, glad you can get your tail on better now! :-D

Winged Mermaid
04-22-2014, 05:00 AM
It makes angers me that people would have the audacity not to pay shipping. How is that okay? You need to account for shipping.. something that size and weight isn't going to come cheap. If it's more than you expected, put it on a credit card so you can pay it down. Don't stick someone else with your bill. If you can't be responsible about your order, don't order at all!

:soap box:

04-22-2014, 07:48 AM
Okay so I stand corrected knowing that your tail is 95% complete and waiting for it to be shipped is the worst/hardest thing!

Merman Arion
04-22-2014, 07:55 AM
It makes angers me that people would have the audacity not to pay shipping. How is that okay? You need to account for shipping.. something that size and weight isn't going to come cheap. If it's more than you expected, put it on a credit card so you can pay it down. Don't stick someone else with your bill. If you can't be responsible about your order, don't order at all!

I agree with you. I just submitted my order to Organic Armor for a merman circlet matching with my tail and they sent to me a PayPal invoice with shipping included (100$ for the circlet and 55$ for shipping).

I think this is the proper way to do it :)

I hope things will get better soon for Raven. It has to be.
I don't want her to be discouraged because of some people here and outside the community.

Kishiko
04-22-2014, 08:13 AM

totally agree re with you! When you order a tail you should know what your getting into. If you don't even plan for expensive shipping, why are you buying one?

shimmygoddess
04-22-2014, 08:17 AM
Okay so I stand corrected knowing that your tail is 95% complete and waiting for it to be shipped is the worst/hardest thing!

Yep! I noticed in the beginning I didn't care, b/c I new it would take a while, but this last month or two is so hard. LOL Esp now, when I know it is shipping. LOL. We will probably get ours the same time :)

MermaidMichelle
04-22-2014, 12:08 PM
I can imagine; I have obsessive-compulsive disorder! Fortunately I have a rather unique mission upon which to focus, but I know that come September-November or thereabouts a part of my mind will always be going on about how my unboxing/tail-donning videos will go (will the latter be 2 hours long? Will my legs be slippery enough? Were my measurements accurate enough for the tail to fit properly on my strange hermaphrodite frame? Will I be overzealous and risk damaging my first silicone tail the first time I put it on? etc.) and how much of my life I can spend with mermaiding-related activities. Whew; it feels like I just vented!

As for your tail Kailani, it appears we may be of kindred spirit. You based your tail on a Flame Angel Fish, and I based mine on a fiery angel! :mermaid kiss:

Ariel-Starfish
04-22-2014, 12:23 PM
Eeep! Just read 4 pages that I missed (and I check this tread daily) lol

Mer-Crazy
04-23-2014, 03:52 PM
Hello beautiful Mermaids, do you own any Merbella wears? Please comment below any mermaid goodies you have purchased or received as a gift from us! I will also be updating our "Customer Photos" album soon, so if you would like to add any photos of you in your Merbella designs please email them to--->Merbellaclient@gmail.com *This email is for existing customers ONLY please. If you don't have any photos yet, feel free to still shoot over an email to say Hi with your name and products purchased. We will be using this new email to keep better touch with clients for upcoming sales and *Merbella Perks* in the future. As an existing customer, we feel you deserve some special attention for all the love and support.
Mermaid Raven

So I'm just quickly chucking this post Raven made on facebook out there (hence why I couldn't screen cap it) with a few questions. So this email is only for people who have already ordered from her, I think is what she's saying here. So people who want to order from her but never have still use the old email? On the plus side since we've established 90% of people can't read hopefully this email won't get flooded with more tail requested. On the downside I think people will start harassing her from both emails now, thinking maybe sending it to the other may get them some kind of special attention. I think it's a good idea, don't get me wrong, but I feel like many people are going to try to take advantage of it. Unless she has some way of making it so that only certain people can email it.

Mermaid Wesley
04-23-2014, 03:54 PM
Let's hope that people try to use their heads on this one

AniaR
04-23-2014, 06:46 PM
Yes I thought so too we had a discussion lol. Hopefully with a dedicated email just for clients communication will be more streamlined

MermaidMichelle
04-24-2014, 01:25 AM
Yes, let's hope people think with their heads rather than their tails...lol :mermaid kiss:

Ariel-Starfish
04-24-2014, 02:51 AM
Yes. I hope people do read.

Ariel-Starfish
04-24-2014, 02:20 PM
Yep! I noticed in the beginning I didn't care, b/c I new it would take a while, but this last month or two is so hard. LOL Esp now, when I know it is shipping. LOL. We will probably get ours the same time :)

I just read U got your tail today? Could i post some pictures? <3 :D

drucilla
04-24-2014, 04:04 PM
Can she take tails in or out depending on weight loss or gain?

Mermaid Wesley
04-24-2014, 04:08 PM
I know she will take tails in

AniaR
04-24-2014, 05:02 PM
Can she take tails in or out depending on weight loss or gain? she took my tail in :) but after she does all that it's best to add a dorsal fin because it's better to make a seam down the back to take in.

MermaidMichelle
04-24-2014, 08:03 PM
That is clever thinking! Daryl Hannah's tail in Splash! has a very-noticeable seam along its side, which suggests that Raven's Merbella Studios tails are actually more realistic!

Kishiko
04-24-2014, 08:26 PM
Yeah I really hope people don't start just spamming the new email /:

Phoenix Mermaid
04-24-2014, 09:04 PM
Hey whoa. Sorry it took so long to post... Mernetwork disagreed with my phone for a while.

My tail is actually based on a Flame Angel fish mainly. The markings for the fluke were inspired by guppies (and the new marking shapes), and the shape of the fluke is from a naso tang. It does still need a name, though. :-P

I hope I can afford to ship my tail back (along with any fees for getting it fixed and getting it back) soon. I have fixed my fins, but I really want to just send it back to Raven and have her just do her magic thing.

As for shipping, I'm glad they finally got something that works. :-) I think it's so rude to not pay the shipping. Especially when it's $100+. That's just not right. :-/

New tails look lovely! Phx, glad you can get your tail on better now! :-D

Thank you Kailani!

I had set aside $200 for shipping my tail back before I even sent it to her. I had remembered hearing about people not paying shipping and I wanted to make sure the money was ready for when she shipped it back to me. So I paid like 3 days after I got my tail, that's only because I had to wait for the bank transfer into paypal.
It's defiantly a good thing to think/estimate shipping costs, especially if your doing a rush order and expect it to be shipped back to you ASAP.
I wasn't sure if Raven was going to invoice me before or after, but the tail deadline was April 1st, and I needed it by the 12th, so I paid for 2Day shipping to get it in time to practice in it before my event. 2Day shipping was around $180, and I kind of expected to pay that much.

Arella
04-24-2014, 09:23 PM
Got my flash drive today :D I'll post more pics soon it came in this really cute little bottle <3

Thalassa
04-24-2014, 09:57 PM
Can she take tails in or out depending on weight loss or gain?

She can't easily let tails out. Because I was too big for my tail she's having to make it a hybridish (basically taking the old body scales off above the fluke and remaking it). So it's not something I'd plan on doing regularly.

Mermaid Lorelei
04-25-2014, 01:10 PM
I haven't yet received my flash drive. I'm hoping it's in the mail, considering my photoshoot was in January.

AniaR
04-25-2014, 01:11 PM
You should remind her lor

Merman Arion
04-25-2014, 01:15 PM
January huh?
Damn... Time sure flies so fast. *sighs* :(

Merley
04-25-2014, 04:04 PM
On the topic of letting tails in and out, Raven is currently working on my tail, not sure how far along she is, but knowing it's being made finally inspired me to go to the gym and I think I've lost a little weight. Since I've been going fairly regularly 3-5x a week and I don't plan on stopping anytime soon, I kind of want to wait until the latest I possibly can to adjust the measurements. I don't think the changes would be too drastic, but does anyone have an idea of how much time I have to give her new measurements if any? Or should I just try emailing her on the customer email?

Mermaid Wesley
04-25-2014, 04:21 PM
I would email her. Clear communication is best.

Mermaid Lorelei
04-25-2014, 05:22 PM
I have messaged her three times now about it and she told me a while back that she would be shipping it out the next day. No drive yet.

AniaR
04-25-2014, 07:49 PM
On the topic of letting tails in and out, Raven is currently working on my tail, not sure how far along she is, but knowing it's being made finally inspired me to go to the gym and I think I've lost a little weight. Since I've been going fairly regularly 3-5x a week and I don't plan on stopping anytime soon, I kind of want to wait until the latest I possibly can to adjust the measurements. I don't think the changes would be too drastic, but does anyone have an idea of how much time I have to give her new measurements if any? Or should I just try emailing her on the customer email?

She told me recently all the tails she has left are in the construction phase... so I'm a bit nervous for you. I would contact her right away if your measurements HAVE changed before she makes your whole tail and has to take it in.

I have messaged her three times now about it and she told me a while back that she would be shipping it out the next day. No drive yet.

I reminded her too, I'm also going to try and teach her dropbox so she doesnt even have to mail anything and clients can just get em that way.

Mermaid Lorelei
04-25-2014, 08:31 PM
Thank you Raina.

Merley
04-25-2014, 08:43 PM
She told me recently all the tails she has left are in the construction phase... so I'm a bit nervous for you. I would contact her right away if your measurements HAVE changed before she makes your whole tail and has to take it in.

Alright, thanks. I emailed her on the client email so hopefully she sees it soon. That would suck if she's too far along. I think it would be like an inch or two of overall adjustments. Either way, fingers crossed.

Ariel-Starfish
04-26-2014, 03:39 AM
Still haven't send any new client photo's in on the new email. Will do this soon! :) hehe

MermaidMichelle
04-26-2014, 02:35 PM
You look lovely in that new pic, Ariel!

Thank you once again, Raina, for keeping us updated regarding Raven's progress. Now I know that it is a very​ good idea to keep my measurements at their Lenten levels.... :mermaid kiss:

AniaR
04-26-2014, 02:51 PM
Lots of fasting during lent ;) I'm always skinnier during lent hahaha

Aziara
04-26-2014, 03:04 PM
Lots of fasting during lent ;) I'm always skinnier during lent hahaha
Ha ha, I wish. Lent is when everyone around here pigs out on seafood. If anything, I probably gain weight during lent.

Ariel-Starfish
04-27-2014, 01:19 PM
You look lovely in that new pic, Ariel!

Thank you! ❤️

04-27-2014, 10:01 PM
Okay Okay Okay since Raven posted these on instagram im going to post them here heheh

Here we go!

My Tail <3

And my Matching Top <3

EEEEEEPPPPPP I cant wait, the wait to ship it out is killing me ARGH!! lol

Mermaid Lilium
04-27-2014, 10:17 PM
Those are so pretty Namiko! <3

AniaR
04-27-2014, 10:22 PM
Nice

Merman Arion
04-28-2014, 03:10 AM
I like this fluke. It looks like the wings of a butterfly :)

04-28-2014, 05:45 AM
Thanks Arion lol i totally didnt even notice this but your right it does <3 oh btw i got your package customs held on to it for a while<3

Ariel-Starfish
04-28-2014, 06:42 AM
Yeah, he told me he sold my old scale bracers :) I hope i love them! <3

MermaidMichelle
04-28-2014, 11:24 AM
Your fluke and top are gorgeous; I like how Raven worked with darker paints to enhance regions of shadow! I can also see why the fluke would remind Arion of a butterfly's wings; it reminds me of Raven's new Butterfly Koi fluke! :mermaid kiss:

Mermaid Azira
04-28-2014, 01:47 PM
Here are the other two tails she posted on instagram: 20390 20391 I think the orangey blue tail is a child's tail and the other a hybrid.

MermaidMichelle
04-28-2014, 02:01 PM
That is certainly a possibility; the absence of additional fins would suggest a Basic or Hybrid tail.

Mermaid Isabel(:
04-28-2014, 03:05 PM
The photo on Instagram said it is indeed a hybrid I'm guessing the skin on the left is the neoprene lined scales that were on it before

Mermaid Kalliope
04-28-2014, 06:27 PM
Your fluke and top are gorgeous; I like how Raven worked with darker paints to enhance regions of shadow! I can also see why the fluke would remind Arion of a butterfly's wings; it reminds me of Raven's new Butterfly Koi fluke! :mermaid kiss:

The koi fluke is just the tang (my fluke) cut down. As I said before, I don't think she offers it any other way. :-)

So, Namiko, is that basic? It looks like it has the texture of my fluke, but I read somewhere that it was basic. O.o

Also, lack of fins doesn't always mean basic. Some people just can't afford the extra fins, or don't want/like them. The fluke is typically the indicator for basic or performance. :-)

MermaidMichelle
04-29-2014, 12:24 PM
Raven told me that the Butterfly Koi fluke was a new design, not a "cut down" Tang; though as all of her flukes are sculpted from something it looks likely that your Tang fluke was a base for the Koi.

I hoped that my choice of words would make it apparent that I didn't mean a finless tail was always a Basic, just that those who spend the extra money for a Performance tail often also spend a bit extra for fins, and that that would "suggest" (ie. increase the probability) that a finless tail was a Basic or Hybrid. I'm glad I was correct, apparently!

I also recall reading on the Merbella Studios​ Facebook page that the Basic fluke was also an option for a Performance tail, if that was desired.

AniaR
04-29-2014, 01:19 PM
Those ones above are Mer fins with a tattered edge

AniaR
04-29-2014, 01:31 PM
I saw the sculpt of the butterfly fluke it is its own fluke

AniaR
04-29-2014, 01:33 PM
I know mine has a new fluke design :) she sent me pics of the sculpt wooo

MermaidKatia
04-29-2014, 01:40 PM
0~0 Hi, all, I'm relatively new and have only been mermaiding for about a year, but I'm getting a little nervous.

I'm on day 254, I think now? It seems like my tail is fully constructed and just needs the paint now (><" but the weather has been backing everything up, right? OOooo, I'm just so nervous because I have the beginning of my summer gigs on May 9th and I was really hoping to wear the new tail to this event.

If it doesn't come, que será será, I *do* have my silicone/neoprene Fishbutts, but stillllll....I'm just full of jitters thinking it could be so close but just might miss the date!

MermaidMichelle
04-29-2014, 01:56 PM
Raina, thank you so much for clarifying! Raven sent me a picture of the Koi fluke last month, but you know these things so much better than I! :mermaid kiss:

Katia, I don't know what to say. I was told that the wait would be 200-300 days, so day 254 is nearing the end but still easily a month or even two before reception of the tail. If your tail still needs to be painted I doubt you will receive it by May 9th; even if it shipped today it would likely need to be expedited to reach you by then. I'm sorry....

Still, kudos for being prepared! :mermaid kiss:

AniaR
04-29-2014, 04:04 PM
Are you waiting for ravens? She's finishing her last 9 tails right now so you should be good soon.

04-29-2014, 04:22 PM
Hi everyone haha sorry for the late reply! Kailani my tail is actually a hybrid tail <3 and I paid for the shipping invoice earlier today so it should get her May 10th :D yay

Mermaid Isabel(:
04-29-2014, 04:30 PM
I know mine has a new fluke design :) she sent me pics of the sculpt wooo

When you say she showed you the sculpt do you mean she's actually working on your tail right now?

AniaR
04-29-2014, 05:11 PM
she's using the sculpt for some other people too and wanted to see if I'd like it for mine :) mine hasn't been started yet. There 9 more in front ;)

Aziara
04-29-2014, 05:26 PM
I think I speak for many of us when I say that I absolutely cannot wait to see what your new tail looks like, Raina! :biting nails:

Mermaid Wesley
04-29-2014, 05:29 PM
Seconded!

Mermaid Isabel(:
04-29-2014, 05:48 PM
Agreed haha the only thing we know is it will probably have orange! Raven can do so much it's hard to think of what it might even look like. Lots of anticipation that's for sure!

MermaidMichelle
04-29-2014, 10:14 PM
Fourthed! After all, we are constantly reminded by your avy and .gif of how well your first collaboration with Raven went, Raina! :mermaid kiss:

Ariel-Starfish
04-30-2014, 02:58 PM
Aah all the tailtalk! <3
I send my customer pictures to the new client adress :) Hope she gets them. <3

Mermaid Lorelei
04-30-2014, 11:42 PM
My photo drive came in today. <3 There was even an adorable hand written note in a glass bottle. So cute. Here's a shot from the day that never got posted.

Ariel-Starfish
05-01-2014, 03:23 AM
Stunning!! :pearl:

Ariadne
05-01-2014, 07:52 AM
So so pretty!!!

MermaidMichelle
05-01-2014, 12:00 PM
Your face has a nice "Melanie C" (formerly Sporty Spice) vibe to it, which I appreciate because I love her! :mermaid kiss:

Mermaid Isabel(:
05-01-2014, 12:29 PM
You look so lovely!

Arella
05-01-2014, 01:57 PM
I'm heading home today so excited to see the rest of my pictures :) yours look great Lorelei!

Mermaid Lorelei
05-01-2014, 03:55 PM
Aww, thank you guys! Tyler's awesome with a camera. XD

05-02-2014, 12:13 AM
Lorelie you photo looks awesome, very sireny!

Btw guys I've paid for shipping! It was $750 used to Australia :O
wasnt expecting that much lol but hopefully Raven can ship it out tomorrow!

05-02-2014, 12:17 AM
Oh and here's the final pictures of my tail <3

MermaidMichelle
05-02-2014, 12:49 AM
It looks gorgeous and thus should go well with you! :mermaid kiss: The two-tone effect works despite the contrast of colour; I would expect nothing less from Raven!

Mizuko
05-02-2014, 12:51 AM
Beautiful shot Lorelei <3
And Namiko your tail is just stunning! :D

AniaR
05-02-2014, 05:20 PM
looks beautiful!

05-02-2014, 09:38 PM
Thanks Everyone <3 Raven did an amazing job!

BTW does anyone know how long it usually takes for Tyler/Raven to ship your tail after payments made? i paid wednesday and i havent recieved an email back with weather or not its shipped. i paid for it to get here in Australia on the 10th of may and im fearing that i wont get it by than ? :(

Ariel-Starfish
05-03-2014, 02:07 AM
I'm in love with those hip fins. :swoon:

Merman Arion
05-03-2014, 05:54 AM
Thanks Everyone <3 Raven did an amazing job!

BTW does anyone know how long it usually takes for Tyler/Raven to ship your tail after payments made? i paid wednesday and i havent recieved an email back with weather or not its shipped. i paid for it to get here in Australia on the 10th of may and im fearing that i wont get it by than ? :(

Not trying to scare you or discourage you but this is gonna be very complicated for you to get it before the 10th of May... The Finfolk twins got some problems with Australian customs as two mermaids had to wait at least three weeks to get their tails. Fifi was one of them.

AniaR
05-03-2014, 11:15 AM
yeah customs is the kicker for all of us outside of the USA. I'm not sure if there's anyway to speed that part up.

Mermaid_Kenzee
05-04-2014, 05:53 PM
i know this might be wierd but do you think Raven would consider selling a couple of scale hearts???

05-05-2014, 04:23 AM
i know this might be wierd but do you think Raven would consider selling a couple of scale hearts???

Im sure Raven would but you would have to customer order them :) you could always send her an email asking to place an order???

PS: Raven shipped my tail last friday and forgot topost me the tracking number lol so she now has to try and re-find it :P the other thing is Tyler forgot to add my Top, scale heart and care sheet to my tail box so they shipped two parcels. I will wait to get both packages before opening either and then recording a unboxing video for everyone :D YAY my baby is on its way haha and i say this because it literaly has been 9 months since i placed my order lol

Ariel-Starfish
05-05-2014, 12:02 PM
I'm exited for you! :D

MermaidMichelle
05-05-2014, 01:46 PM
I'm excited for you, and would like to add that it is probably a fine idea to wait to open both parcels together...at least if you're doing an unboxing video as you say! :mermaid kiss:

05-05-2014, 11:43 PM
Thanks Ariel and Michelle <3 I am so excited its on its way lol

yeah i thought that would be the best idea to open them both in the same video, but the wait to recieve both packages is going to be a nightmare lol i already can't sleep now let alone having my tail in the next room waiting to be opened lol

Mermaid Wesley
05-06-2014, 12:41 AM
Well maybe you can hope that you get the tail second so that you aren't quite so tempted :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winged Mermaid
05-06-2014, 01:11 AM
So excited for youuuuuuu!!!

Also, Raven is in process of making a top for me, and I gave her creative liberty and OH MY GOD YOU GUYS. I can't show anything yet, but she's not done and it's already soooo amazing! AHHHHHH :dance:

MermaidMichelle
05-06-2014, 01:28 AM
I am excited for both of us, Iona, as I have already ordered a top for which I gave her ~72% of the creative liberty! I think it is a wise choice! :mermaid kiss:

05-06-2014, 01:39 AM
I cant wait to see what she comes up with for both of you :) now owning a "Raven Creation" i have no doubt that both your tops will be outstanding <3

MermaidMichelle
05-06-2014, 01:45 AM
Merci beaucoup, Mermaid Namiko! I appreciate the encouragement, and I'm quite sure you are right! :mermaid kiss:

Winged Mermaid
05-06-2014, 02:13 AM
Raven always shines the brightest when she's allowed to have fun with it for sure. I've learned that if you don't box her in, she'll astound you :)

Mermaid Isabel(:
05-06-2014, 02:41 AM
Hey everyone I'm so glad you're all getting wonderful Raven creations! I am having a bit of an issue though and don't know what to do. In January Raven told me that she was working away at my tail and I would see pictures soon but I have yet to hear from her and it is 4 months later. I sent her an email and she didn't respond. I know you all are going to say she's busy and be patient and I realize that and I have been super patient but she lost my order once before and I'm on day 309 while people who ordered after me are getting tails so I'm a little antsy. I understand she's busy and I love her I think she's a wonderful artist so please don't everyone gang up on me I am just a little stressed and bummed at the moment.