PDA

View Full Version : Merbellas Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

AniaR
05-26-2013, 09:33 PM
awesome. But just be careful, that are people who actively search the forums for stuff to copy :p

Mermaid Kalliope
05-26-2013, 10:17 PM
That is why I'm not posting the whole design. Actually, my mom asked me if there is a way to copyright my design so no one makes a duplicate or so Raven doesn't make another (which I know she won't, but try explaining that to my paranoid mother with anxiety. )

Mermaid_Aurora
05-27-2013, 04:26 PM
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Raven finally found my emails!!! She gave me a few picture examples of the general idea she has and my headdress is going to be royal and elaborate with pearls and crystals!! IM SO EXCITED AND HAPPY I COULD CRY.

MerEmma
05-27-2013, 04:36 PM
SUPER exciting! I also heard back from her just a bit ago and it was confirmed, I need to get my mum to help me get the package ready to ship. :P Need money for the postage and such, hahaha.

Mermaid_Aurora
05-27-2013, 04:50 PM
I'm so excited about all this I don't even know what to do with myself. If I'm this happy over a headdress I cant even comprehend what's going to happen when I eventually order the tail.

Mermaid Kalliope
05-27-2013, 06:10 PM
Yay! So happy for you, Aurora! I know she checked the thread earlier today. :-)

I can't wait to see the head dress! Eeee! I eventually want to add to my mer, but I want to wait until I a - get the tail and swim in it a lot to feel what my mersona wants and b - I get more money. XD Haha

WavyMermaidy
05-27-2013, 06:41 PM
Blargh! As I sit in wait for Raven to take new orders, and have been editing and re-editing the email in my draft folder, I find myself having major issues over monofin choice (something I've been talking with MerEmma about). I had my heart set for a long time on a Competitor upgrade because I like the idea of having more power in the water and I love the big, wide, whale-tail shape of her Merbella fluke and figured that'd be a good way to replicate it in a Basic tail.

But now that I've seen the most recent photoshoot with a Merfin in a Basic tail, I've started considering that even though I was never too keen on the Merfin shape but, man, what Raven does with the silicone and paint-styling makes it very appealing...plus I like the flow/flop of the Merfin while still having some getup and go in the water. But then there is the Wave, which comes standard, and which I'm used to...I know it doesn't hurt my feet and feel it gives me decent power in the water and is not super stiff...basically one less thing to have to get used to in a new tail. And I've seen Basic tails with the Wave that are pretty large and wide otherwise and would therefore flop a bit more than with a Competitor. And I'm not one to need a really floppy tail, but I don't necessarily want a super stiff one either...but also not totally against a stiffer one. And again I say: Blargh!

Obviously there are pros and cons to each...power, fit, feel, stiffness vs. flop/flow, shape, size, price...eep! I will be doing dry events but also want to do plenty of swimming, so that doesn't help make my decision either. I am terrible at making decisions and I'm not sure what to do except to let Raven give some suggestions/thoughts once we start discussing design (that is, if I am able to get my order in on the next round of orders she takes, since she takes so few Basic tail orders :(

Anyhow, just venting a bit with my chronic indecisiveness. It's like being at a restaurant and the longer you wait for the server the more you consider other options and the harder it is to decide.

MerEmma
05-27-2013, 06:45 PM
My Mum suffers terribly from the restaurant problem you speak of. xD

Good luck deciding...hopefully it won't come down to the good ole' eeny-meany-miney-moe. D:

WavyMermaidy
05-27-2013, 07:36 PM
It might come down to eeny meeny miney moe!

And I just totally sent my draft email to Raven by accident while I was editing it a moment ago...that dang "send" button is right next to "save". So then I sent a quick apology email. Like she needs more emails clogging up her box when she hasn't even said she's taking orders. Whoops!!!! Hope that doesn't red-flag me for being too persistent!

MerEmma
05-27-2013, 07:44 PM
I'm sure she'll understand. :) But I've done that one too many times before, too...oops. Usually for me I don't put the addressee if it's something important that will need work.

WavyMermaidy
05-27-2013, 07:48 PM
Yeah, you know, that would've been a smart move to not put the addressee in there...that's usually what I do so I don't know why I went ahead and put it on there this time. As I am typing this she already has replied to me and said no problem :)

AniaR
05-27-2013, 09:06 PM
I love my competitor fin!

MerMarla
05-27-2013, 09:51 PM
Obviously there are pros and cons to each...power, fit, feel, stiffness vs. flop/flow, shape, size, price...eep! I will be doing dry events but also want to do plenty of swimming, so that doesn't help make my decision either. I am terrible at making decisions and I'm not sure what to do except to let Raven give some suggestions/thoughts once

Anyhow, just venting a bit with my chronic indecisiveness. It's like being at a restaurant and the longer you wait for the server the more you consider other options and the harder it is to decide.

Ahhh, I know of which you suffer, I do too, and I call it "analysis paralysis"! So true, the longer you wait the more complex the decision becomes! Please let us know what you decide and why... I am thinking about a monofin too, and would like to know your thoughts concerning your final decision! At least you have the Wave to compare to, I only have my fins. Oh the learning curve is immense!

((Hugz)) and Bubble https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/e/B0C'z
Mermaid Marla

Mermaid Kalliope
05-27-2013, 10:15 PM
I would say to get the competitor because of size and performance. It also seems to have a decent flop. But! If you put the wave in and get a wider fluke, everything that isn't on the monofin will be floppy and flowy. Just remember that floppier flukes are harder to controln during dry events.

Hope that helps! ♥♥

Mizuko
05-27-2013, 10:21 PM
To be honest, I LOVE the flop of my tail in the water! But... after recently purchasing a competitor, I wish I had saved up a little more to upgrade to one in my Basic tail. I swim a lot in the ocean, and I plan to do a lot more ocean swimming once winter is over (darn Southern Hemisphere!) and it would've been the smarter choice. However, even with the Wave my tail still gives lots of push :)

Mermaid Kalliope
05-28-2013, 03:41 AM
Yeah, I have a wave and if the current is fair I can swim, but anything remotely strong starts becoming an issue. I can swim well enough not to drown, but I don't have enough power to get anywhere. :-(

So, if you plan on doing ANY ocean swimming, I highly recommend the competitor.

Winged Mermaid
05-28-2013, 03:58 AM
I've been swimming with a Tempo (between Wave and Rapid sized, was discontinued a few years back) for years, and in open it becomes frustrating with how much harder it takes to get anywhere. Even in a lake. The wave smaller in size and is much more bendy than the tempo so I don't think that would be good for open water or ocean swimming. I've swam with a bare competitor in a pool before side by side with a wave and tempo and MAN does that thing have serous kick compared to the others! I ordered a competitor in my tail becuase there are a lot of lakes and ocean around here, and heck if I'mma spend $3,500 on a tail, go big or go home. Plus the ability to lift and control the fluke that I talked about earlier in the thread, but I don't imagine that's an issue with the basic tails.

WavyMermaidy
05-28-2013, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the input, guys...I really appreciate it! Seems like the general consensus here leans towards the Competitor, and since that was my initial plan that's probably the way to go. I haven't gone ocean swimming yet (just springs so far) but I live a block from the beach so its definitely in the plans. This weekend we had major rip currents (100 people pulled out of the surf on Sunday) so the current is often an issue. And with the suggestions about being easier to lift and such in general and for dry events...eh, I'm definitely leaning back the Competitor way. And like Iona says, go big or go home when you are already spending the $$$.

MerMarla: Love the "analysis paralysis"!!! That's a very appropriate name for it. And see, all that worry and I'm just right back where I started...which I think is typical of that affliction as well.

WavyMermaidy
05-28-2013, 12:09 PM
By the way Isabela your photoshoot with the new tail is AWESOME!!!

Mermaid Annariea
05-28-2013, 01:10 PM
AAAAAHHHHHHHH I WANT A MERBELLAS TAIL SOOO BAD D:

Ariel-Starfish
05-28-2013, 01:55 PM
3 days!! :jawdrop:

anyway... i <3 this picture from Isabela ^^

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1_287948451342047_134358566_n.jpg

Mermaid Varshana
05-28-2013, 02:39 PM
I want speckles on my tail ^^;

Arella
05-28-2013, 03:18 PM
Mine has golden speckles :)

Mermaid Kalliope
05-28-2013, 04:33 PM
Speckles are adorable. Haha I have a design somewhere that is meh, but it has speckles... kinda. Haha

AniaR
05-28-2013, 05:22 PM
Raven got featured on deviantART today :D she got a DD

Mermaid Kalliope
05-28-2013, 05:47 PM
Oh my gosh! What's her dA? I should watch her.

Mermaid Kalliope
05-28-2013, 06:35 PM
Found her, but I have no idea how to check which one is a DD. bah... mobile fail. Haha

Mermaid Dottie
05-28-2013, 06:35 PM
Btw; I haven't seen any pictures of Thalassa in her new tail after the message she recieved the tail and tried it on. i wanna see! <3
AHA! Ask and ye shall receive, knock and it shall be opened unto you!
11479Photo Copyright Kaelyn Freeman Grant, also known as Lady Kae. She did up some ADORABLE scrapbooks of the UtahRenFest.
Other mermaids on this page are Koral, Nikki, Lei Loni, Jessica, and myself. Plus Sir William, in a tail.

Winged Mermaid
05-28-2013, 07:48 PM
Yay for picture of Thalassa in her tail! I enjoyed all of Isabela's photos on FB as well! Also seeing more and more mers get their seaweed tops :)

You guys, I feel like I'mma explode from waiting! It's been 183 days since ordering, 153 days since measurements were sent. I keep looking at this photo Raven sent me 2 weeks ago (fins aren't attached yet) and just gaping and drooling. She said she should be done with it this week- I so hope that's true! She said I was the first order I took back after her mini break last year, but it seems like everyone else is getting their tails before me X_x

Will be me soon ==> http://24.media.tumblr.com/c23873bf3797e2474ba29bf39e996cea/tumblr_mlx4trXJ2d1sprhdso1_400.gif

Mermaid Kalliope
05-28-2013, 07:54 PM
Awwww! I wanna see more of her now. Haha!

Mermaid Varshana
05-28-2013, 08:06 PM
Doooooooooooo waaaaannnnnnnntttttt DX

MerMarla
05-28-2013, 08:12 PM
Yay for picture of Thalassa in her tail! I enjoyed all of Isabela's photos on FB as well! Also seeing more and more mers get their seaweed tops :)

She said she should be done with it this week

That's a long time to wait! I absolutely LOVE the blue! Hope it comes in as predicted! Show us pix when it arrives and you're swimming in it! Woo Hoo!
Mermaid Marla

WavyMermaidy
05-28-2013, 08:15 PM
That's gorgeous, Iona!!! Worth the wait I'm sure, but still...tough to wait!!

Mizuko
05-28-2013, 09:06 PM
I love that colour blue, its going to look so magical in the water! :D

Blondie
05-28-2013, 09:10 PM
I agree with Mizuko! It'll look heavenly underwater!

MerEmma
05-28-2013, 09:12 PM
SUPER pretty, Iona! It reminds me of your current Mertailor. <3 I'm also eager to see the fins you have picked out. :)

MermaidHyli
05-28-2013, 09:33 PM
Iona that is so gorgeous! I really like the candy blue( my fav color)
I'm also in the same boat, my tail should be done and shipped this week, the anticipation is driving me crazy

Mermaid Kalliope
05-28-2013, 10:42 PM
Oh wow! I didn't see that post, Iona! That will look amazing on you! Can't wait to see the fins!

spottedcatfish
05-29-2013, 12:23 AM
It's Gorgeous Iona!!

Mermaid Lorelei
05-29-2013, 12:45 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/181253_4708015984622_534229461_n.jpg

Okay, so, it's definitely not the best photo ever, but here's a pretty good shot of my octopus top. And the other mermaid in the photo is my good friend Mermaid Aria. :3

Mermaid Kalliope
05-29-2013, 02:32 AM
Oooo how does that one hold up? I'm looking at the other style because I'm small in that region. Haha

Mermaid Lorelei
05-29-2013, 03:19 AM
I love it! I feel very well supported and covered (not that I'm terribly large either) and people can't seem to get enough of it. XD I like the other style too, but I preferred the more natural, organic look of this style.

Mahi Mermaid
05-29-2013, 04:56 AM
anyone know how long it would take to get a scale top if ordered from Etsy? Are we talking days, weeks, or months to get it??

MerEmma
05-29-2013, 07:35 AM
That really depends...were you in the last batch of etsy orders or the current one? For me, my bravest took six and a half weeks but she was very busy. Don't know, honestly.

Ariel-Starfish
05-29-2013, 11:48 AM
AHA! Ask and ye shall receive, knock and it shall be opened unto you!
11479Photo Copyright Kaelyn Freeman Grant, also known as La
dy Kae. She did up some ADORABLE scrapbooks of the UtahRenFest.
Other mermaids on this page are Koral, Nikki, Lei Loni, Jessica, and myself. Plus Sir William, in a tail.

Thank you! <3

Ariel-Starfish
05-29-2013, 11:51 AM
Poor Iona! :( I feel so sorry for you! Waiting extremely long, getting a pocture to DROOL on, and suffer even more wile other mers getting their tails first. I hope everything ends up well! <3

Mine's like 2 DAYS before I reatch the limit of 120 :jawdrop:

Raven said She would give me some pictures this week!!

Arella
05-29-2013, 12:40 PM
Hey guys so I went for a swim this morning :D It wasn't a very good swim because it was a tiny pool filled with very old people but I have video which I will post later on today :) I have one problem with my tail though, it's a little low in the front and pretty low in the back. I have to wear these legging things just so my butt doesn't hang out :P

Mermaid Dottie
05-29-2013, 01:15 PM
XD yeah, that was once of Thalassa's problems, too. When she and I were FINALLY in the pool together, I grabbed the back of it and pulled upward. I practically lifted her out of the pool by her tail. That was the only time it's been over her butt.

Arella
05-29-2013, 03:53 PM
Yeah it's fine in the front but the back is annoying :P

AniaR
05-29-2013, 06:00 PM
yeah silicone is hard to get into. I'm used to mine so it's never an issue. But for mermaid Ama, merwrangler sean literally has to pick her up from the waist line after we've oiled her down, and shake her around til she gets all the way in it. LOL it's kinda hilarious.

Mermaid Kalliope
05-29-2013, 06:21 PM
Haha a video of that would be great. XD I measured pretty high and in the back for my length because I've got a big booty and don't want it to come up short.

Lorelei- I like the organic look of yours, too, but I think the other style will suit and fit me better. I am practically flat if I don't were a push up. For example, I was looking for a new bikini and came down to two tops; a push up or just the triangles of fabric. When I tried on the fabric, I looked like a child and I'm 23. When I wear my shells, I also look quite flat. :-( So, I'm hoping that the other style can hopefully hide that. I wouldn't "fill" the other.

Arella
05-29-2013, 06:33 PM
@Raina, how do you do that without damaging the tail? Do you do it in the water? Also my video is loading :)

Mermaid Lorelei
05-29-2013, 07:27 PM
Kailani - Then you're probably right to go with the one you're thinking about. :3

Mermaid Kalliope
05-29-2013, 07:38 PM
Lorelei - Glad to know that you agree! ^_^ One of these days in the future when I can spend money willy-nilly will probably get a seaweed top and the other octo-top... But for now. XP

Freshie - I can't wait to see it!

Mermaid Lorelei
05-29-2013, 07:43 PM
Kailani - Haha, I totally agree! I'm craving one of her angler tails right now, but I also want one of her starfish tops and seaweed tops. And some hairpieces... and tons of other stuff... XD

Mermaid Isabela
05-29-2013, 09:21 PM
I have that same problem in the back. The butt one. I thought it was only me because my butt is pretty huge, haha! I thought of a way of making it stay up, I'll test it out soon and I'll let you guys know to see if it worked!

Mizuko
05-29-2013, 09:34 PM
Yeah, I get the butt thing too! XD Its not so bad when I swim, but if I'm sitting up the people behind me cop an eye-full if I'm not careful and havn't adjusted it properly, haha!

Jadestone
05-29-2013, 09:44 PM
Hmm, I wonder if it'd be possible to order one with a bit more material just in the back? I wouldn't necessarily want the tail to come up over my stomach, but I would prefer it cover my butt x_x

Mermaid Kalliope
05-30-2013, 12:04 AM
Lorelei - Haha let's start a savings fund! Called "Funds for Raven's Stuff". Hahaha it'd be fun. XP I think that's what my savings account will end up being for, for a while. But like a pirate, a mer's look is never complete! Drats!

As for the butt problem - Did you guys measure from waist to floor from the front, side or back? Also, if from the back, did you take into consideration the curvature of your rear? For example: My Waist to floor measurement is 40" if taken from the side or front, if taken from the back WITH my butt (ha ha) it is 44". A whole 4" longer than the front, which in costuming can mean a lot. (I should know, I sew. >< )

So, for anyone reading this! If you're ordering a tail, makes sure to measure with the LONGEST measurement. It's better to have it a bit long and have to trim than to be too short. Also, refer to Iona's measuring guide. It's pretty sweet. <3

Mermaid Kalliope
05-30-2013, 12:06 AM
Also, Mizuko... I LOVE your avatar. It's so adorable!!!! Squee!

Mizuko
05-30-2013, 12:09 AM
Yeah, I thought it was just my dodgy measuring which caused it XD
And thank you Kailani! :3 I wanted a cute caricature to use around the place, so I drew one up ^_^

Mermaid Isabela
05-30-2013, 01:49 AM
I sew too! ( I used to be a cosplayer, before I gave that up. ) But at the time my measurements were sent, Raven asked for the SIDE measurements of your legs. Not the back. I think she changed that now though. Not sure.

Winged Mermaid
05-30-2013, 02:39 AM
Ah crap X_x That makes 5 people who have gotten tails from her that seem to be shy on length in the back. When my order was place the top measurement was for specifically around the belly button, so that's where I measured. Now their measuring chart specifies around the waist. For me that's a solid 3 inch difference. I emailed her about it but I never heard back. I'm resending it. I would think the measurement of the butt/hips would keep it from being shorter in the back. Maybe measuring needs to include a waist to knee measuring vertically down the backside with the curves instead of just straight from one point to another down the front (how tailmakers instruct you to measure). I did ask Raven specifically how I should measure, and she said in the front from one point to the other not taking curves of your body into consideration.

Ariel-Starfish
05-30-2013, 05:34 AM
Ok, now I'm worried my tail is mesured proparly? -_-"

just 1 day to go and I reached my 120 days!!! *_________*

http://stuffpoint.com/the-simpsons/image/99811-the-simpsons-crazy-homer.jpg

Mermaid Kalliope
05-30-2013, 06:38 AM
When I asked her she said "whichever is the longest"

I didn't ask about the curves, but she said she's similarly built in the back. Haha Honky Tonk Badonkadonk just started playing. XD

Well, I dunno... I feel confident about my measurements and trust her to do things well. ^_^

Mizuko - oh my mer! You drew that? Do you take commissions?!

Arella
05-30-2013, 09:13 AM
Idk I double checked my measurements and they're still accurate :P I'm going to try again in a few days when I go back for a swim and try to pull it up more :) btw my video is on my fb page feel free to give it a like while you're over there :D https://www.facebook.com/TheFreshwaterMermaid

Ariel-Starfish
05-30-2013, 12:27 PM
I <3 the video ^^ hehe

Mermaid Kalliope
05-30-2013, 03:23 PM
Spirit! Stallion of the cimmaron! ♥♥♥♥

From the video, it looks like you have a lot of bunching at the ankles, which means there's still material to be pulled up. :-)

Arella
05-30-2013, 04:10 PM
I emailed Raven and that's what she said too, I just don't really know how to pull the wrinkles out without potentially damaging the tail :P but it's good to hear that it's probably not just too short :)

Mermaid Kalliope
05-30-2013, 04:46 PM
Take a firm grip of top and bottom (NOT the seams) when you're in the water and just move it up like a pair of tights. Do you lubricate yourself when dry to get into the tail?

AniaR
05-30-2013, 05:40 PM
So I caught up with Raven today. She's not feeling great about these basic tails and has been wanting to discontinue them for a while, but they're in such high demand :( they take her longer to make, and she's thinking the reason they're ending up shorter on people is because of the neoprene and how the silicone is stiffer against it, instead of free to stretch. She measures and cuts the performance tails the exact same way she does the basic tails, but so far is been all basic tails with the issue outside of Thalassas.

We also decided I'm going to help her again with her emails. Actually, my boyfriend and I both are going to go in there and organize the whole thing so some of the functions and sorting are automatic, that there's an auto reply with the FAQ etc, and a list of some of her communication black out dates (like when she's away performing) so people understand why she isn't responding at certain times. I've really figured this stuff out the hard way and I've been able to half the amount of time I have to spend going through my emails now, and my turn around times in terms of communication is so much better than what it was. So we're hoping we can gear Raven up like that too.

I was checking in with her about Iona's tail as both ladies are my friends. The reason Iona's is taking longer is because she and Raven have been changing and tweaking the colours frequently. It takes a certain amount of time and weather conditions for that paint, and then Raven's gotta be sure it's exactly the way Iona wants it before she does both sides, and then finally the extra fins and stuff get attached and then there's a process Raven goes through to seal the colours (which she did on my tail, and lemme tell you, freaking awesome). For most customers, they get one photo with the colours and they either approve them or they don't. If they approve them she can finish up and send the tail. But in this case it's taken her a few tries to get Iona's vision properly. I don't think you have to worry about your sizing Iona, it really seems to just be an issue with the neoprene+silicone tails. :) Hopefully you ladies can get it all sorted so you have it in time!

With your ankle problems ladies, the first couple times I put my tail on that happened and I found it much easier if I pointed my toes and got someone else in the pool to help me smooth the tail all the way up. Not sure if that'll work for you or not. Having your feet and ankles sufficiently lubed up helps too!

Mermaid Varshana
05-30-2013, 06:02 PM
Oh I hope she doesn't discontinue them :( They're the only realistic tail I like that I can afford :(

Arella
05-30-2013, 06:20 PM
I hope Raven doesn't discontinue them :( I love my tail :) I'm going to try what you guys said and hopefully it'll fit better :)

WavyMermaidy
05-30-2013, 06:41 PM
Yikes that would be a bummer if she discontinues them. Sigh...guess I ought to have a plan B in mind.

Mermaid Varshana
05-30-2013, 06:44 PM
The only possibility that I can think of is Mermaid Creations. Getting a tail in a year is better than never or fucked up.

Mermaid Kalliope
05-30-2013, 07:49 PM
Eep! Well, I'm glad you're there to help her, Raina! Her basic tails are nice for those who want a realistic tail but either can't afford a performance or aren't sure if they want to drop that much money into a "costume piece" (I have had so many people give me that talk when I tell them I spent $3,600 on a tail). Though, I can understand her frustration

Mermaid Isabela
05-30-2013, 08:22 PM
I talked to her about the basic tails a few weeks back and she also mentioned discontinuing them. She said that the whole process takes too long and they're actually harder to make compared to the performance tails. I can see her point of view, and honestly, for the quality, she's majorly underselling herself. :(

Mermaid Varshana
05-30-2013, 08:33 PM
Well, that would suck, because that would mean most of us who dont have one already would probably never own a Raven tail. A basic is our only shot. $3,600 is what my husband and I live on for two months, not something I can spend on a tail. Making sure that even normal lowly mers like me who want to attain a dream can save for one of your products isn't really the same as underselling yourself.

AniaR
05-30-2013, 08:37 PM
I think underselling in terms of the fact they take more time and skill to make than the performance tails. Plus she has people who can help her with the performance tails, but no one has picked up the learning curb to help her with the basics so it's just her by herself.
Anyway, she hasn't officially said she wont make them anymore. I think probably she'll just make a few here and there. Everyone wants a cheap awesome tail, but there is a cost somewhere, always. If it's not in the materials being budget to obtain the low cost, then it's the tail maker taking a personal cut from their own earnings to do it ya know?

Mermaid Varshana
05-30-2013, 08:47 PM
I get what you're saying, but speaking as a lowly normal college student here, my reference level is that $1000+customizations+shipping is only considered "cheap" in extreeeeeeeemely extreeeeeeeeeeemely relative terms here. I can barely fathom spending that on a used car let alone a tail 0.0 I don't look at it as a cheap tail. I look at it as "an attainable tail that is awesome enough to spend over $1000 on without fucking my finances irreversibly." If that's "cheap" then..... O.o

Arella
05-30-2013, 09:03 PM
I agree with Raina and Isabella. The tails are amazing and an awesome thing for mers on a budget but logistically, making them all the time probably doesn't make much sense.

Mermaid Varshana
05-30-2013, 09:29 PM
.....I'm just going to say that I'm nevvvveeerrrrr going to get used to this aspect of the mermaiding community where $1000-1300 = an awesome tail for cheap. Those numbers terrify me as it is :jawdrop:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_nmEzMvU9_ws/Shn6xxXSk4I/AAAAAAAAAnw/I-rAS9es4H8/s400/white+flag.jpg

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/nope.gif

lasserine
05-30-2013, 09:40 PM
Sad to see that happen to her.

I have a few question on colors, what she can and can't do. Would it be in her FAQ, or best to email her and see if she responds?

Mizuko
05-30-2013, 09:50 PM
The quality of her basic tails are incredible, I can understand how she is underselling herself :) If I wasn't so determined to make my own tail this year, I would be saving up to get a performance tail from her :3 (although it would probably take me a few years to save... lol!!) because I'm IN LOVE with her work.

MermaidHyli
05-30-2013, 09:56 PM
Speaking of in love with her work..MY TAIL IS FINISHED AND SHIPS OFF TOMORROW!!!!

she sent final pictures but I'm on my phone so I posted pictures to my facebook

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mermaid-Hyli/489312624467463

Or that little blue F under my avatar if that link doesnt work. So happy!! The dorsal turned out awesome!

Mizuko
05-30-2013, 10:09 PM
Omg Hyli, its beautiful!! :O <3

Ashe
05-30-2013, 10:18 PM
So pretty Hyli! I love that fluke shape :D

Mermaid Kalliope
05-30-2013, 10:36 PM
Eee! And your fishy to match! <3 So adorable.

lasserine
05-30-2013, 10:37 PM
Such a pretty tail.

Blondie
05-30-2013, 11:09 PM
Hyli ummmm wow O______O Those colors blend into a magical wonderland in my retinas. I LOVE the angler fluke on it.

MermaidHyli
05-30-2013, 11:18 PM
Thanks everyone!!
Blondie that is one of the best explinations I've ever read hahaha!

AniaR
05-30-2013, 11:26 PM
stunning Hyli

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/941615_504635522935173_79294015_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/943468_504636776268381_1599754450_n.jpg

MerEmma
05-30-2013, 11:29 PM
SO PRETTY!!

LittleTreasure
05-30-2013, 11:55 PM
AHMAGAHD I want one a Merbellas tail sooooooo bad. I've just started to save for one and now that I've read the last page or two here I'm disappointed. I would probably have to save for years (very poor college student) in order to afford a performance tail...if I'm doing my math right.. Even though they're freaking amazing and would probably be a better choice in the long run.

On another note, does anyone know if the Ariel fluke mold on her photo gallery on facebook will become one of the standard fin shapes? It's so pretty. Or was it just for that particular customer?

Mermaid Kalliope
05-31-2013, 01:38 AM
Don't quote me on this, but I'm fairly certain that was a custom fluke. A lot of tail makers have to be careful when making "Ariel" tails because of Disney. Bigger tail makers have to be especially careful, so as long as they label it right, they're okay. You can always talk to her about making a fluke like that. (It will be an extra charge, though. My custom fluke was $250 on top of the base price)

Mermaid Varshana
05-31-2013, 01:45 AM
Edit: sickrant

Mermaid Kalliope
05-31-2013, 02:03 AM
Kakarotte - Hrm?

Ariel-Starfish
05-31-2013, 02:06 AM
:jawdrop:I got my first pictures!!!!

Mermaid Isabela
05-31-2013, 02:12 AM
I saw those on FB Ariel. <3 Congrats!!! It looks gorgeous!!!

Winged Mermaid
05-31-2013, 02:17 AM
I was checking in with her about Iona's tail as both ladies are my friends. The reason Iona's is taking longer is because she and Raven have been changing and tweaking the colours frequently. It takes a certain amount of time and weather conditions for that paint, and then Raven's gotta be sure it's exactly the way Iona wants it before she does both sides, and then finally the extra fins and stuff get attached and then there's a process Raven goes through to seal the colours (which she did on my tail, and lemme tell you, freaking awesome). For most customers, they get one photo with the colours and they either approve them or they don't. If they approve them she can finish up and send the tail. But in this case it's taken her a few tries to get Iona's vision properly. I don't think you have to worry about your sizing Iona, it really seems to just be an issue with the neoprene+silicone tails. :) Hopefully you ladies can get it all sorted so you have it in time!

Actually we only did a color tweak once, for one color. The turquoise color I requested that were highlights (down the center of the tail and bit on the end of the fluke) wouldn't take/show up, so she made it green in an attempt to get it to show up, which didn't look good to me. I got those first pics 165 days in, then the color change pics 5 days later (I understand she had only done one side at that point) then another message 4 days later making sure she could move on with attaching fins and doing the clear sparkle coat, so I'm assuming at that point she had both sides done with the color tweak. 4 days after that she said she'd have it done "next week". It's been a week since then, so I'm hoping it's near completion. I know the weather is crazy and other factors go into it for sure, but it is frustrating seeing other basic and performance tails that were ordered after mine go out before mine. Especially since I have a big gig coming up. I swear I'm trying to be patient! I know as soon as I get it I'll be doing practice in the pool and putting it on and taking it off every day of the week so I know how to handle it for the gig. Last thing I need to do is tear something because I didn't know how to handle my tail at my first gig X_x I'll be in a tank for the first time so that will be interesting.

Winged Mermaid
05-31-2013, 02:17 AM
I thought those were yours! Congrats Ariel :)

Jadestone
05-31-2013, 03:10 AM
Ahh! So lovely :)

And that's slightly distressing, to hear about the basic tails possibly being discontinued. I certainly understand the reasons why she would do it, but it's still a little heartbreaking since that's the one I could hopefully save up for. If she does discontinue them, I just hope there'd be a sort of "last call" period to order one before they go... I can't imagine a time in the next four or five years where I'd have $3000 to spare, but I'd be able to scrape up the $1000, and it'd be worth it.

lasserine
05-31-2013, 03:47 AM
Such a pretty color.

Echidna
05-31-2013, 05:08 AM
.....I'm just going to say that I'm nevvvveeerrrrr going to get used to this aspect of the mermaiding community where $1000-1300 = an awesome tail for cheap. Those numbers terrify me as it is :jawdrop:

I know what you mean.
It's a lot to whip up for "a costume", but if you consider how much for example a good wetsuit plus monofin alone would cost, and put the work of art that is a pretty tail on top, you can see why 1000 bucks suddenly isn't much at all.

That said, as long as you don't plan on earning money with your mermaiding, a cheap tail is more than enough to swim and have fun in :)

Not to say you shouldn't invest in a pretty tail of course, if you have the money and feel like it!
There are other hobbies that are far more expensive than mermaiding.
Musicals and Opera come to mind :D

Mermaid Kalliope
05-31-2013, 06:24 AM
I know what you mean.
It's a lot to whip up for "a costume", but if you consider how much for example a good wetsuit plus monofin alone would cost, and put the work of art that is a pretty tail on top, you can see why 1000 bucks suddenly isn't much at all.

That said, as long as you don't plan on earning money with your mermaiding, a cheap tail is more than enough to swim and have fun in :)

Not to say you shouldn't invest in a pretty tail of course, if you have the money and feel like it!
There are other hobbies that are far more expensive than mermaiding.
Musicals and Opera come to mind :D

That's why I was willing to "drop" so much money on a tail: I plan on using it for many many things! Environmental awareness, parties, fundraiser events, ren faire, ocean swimming(Gotta have something that'll hold up), acting, modelling, and just so much more! It is just such a gem of happiness in my otherwise... Well, really not-so-great life. (Not gonna get into woe is me, if you want the story - message me. But be warned might contain long messages).

I'm hoping it can help me achieve a sense of independence from my otherwise constricting life. I feel so trapped where I am right now and I can see how the tail can help me swim to greater oceans.

<3 <3 It may not be the price for everyone, but I'm more than willing to pay it. ^_^

Also, try fundraising! And save up Christamas/Birthday money! ^_^ (Also, by the by, a 5 gallon bucket can hold about $1,500 in loose change. Just sayin'. ;-D )

Arella
05-31-2013, 07:42 AM
Those are so pretty!

WavyMermaidy
05-31-2013, 08:07 AM
Gargh, now I'm really torn on the tail issue...even if she doesn't discontinue the Basics right away, it still gets me trying to think about what to do. I could list the pros, cons, and other thoughts here about Basic vs Performance vs other tail makers (money, durability, easy-to-get-on-ness, time to make, communication ease, etc etc ETC) but I know you all know those pros and cons very well.

And the rub is that technically I could afford a Performance, even though I'm trying to save up for other things (and emergencies) and my charity brain screams "but you could donate that to the Humane Society...way better than your measly 10$/month that you currently donate... and save a lot of kitties and puppies!" and my thrifty side says "you haven't spent that much on anything in your life!" and then the rational side says "oh yes you did, you dropped around 2,000 on yoga teacher training and do you teach yoga now? NOOOOO!!!" and then the charity side says "well, and I guess if you are donating your time to teaching kids how to save the environment then that's as good as donating money (but it won't save kitties and puppies)" and the rational side says "it's just money...people spend it all the time! If you are saving it for something else, why not let this be your something else" and then some other side, the rarely heard (from me) math brain says "hey, hey, guess what?... if you were super patient you could get about 2 Jesse tails for less than the price of one Raven tail...same materials!" and then says "oh yeah, and to make you feel worse you COULD get about 3 basic tails for the price of one Performance tail...ha ha ha ha ha...".

And that's just the money issue. And that's just PART of the money issue debate in my brain. This goes along with that whole "analysis paralysis" thing :)

Ariadne
05-31-2013, 08:41 AM
Gargh, now I'm really torn on the tail issue...even if she doesn't discontinue the Basics right away, it still gets me trying to think about what to do. I could list the pros, cons, and other thoughts here about Basic vs Performance vs other tail makers (money, durability, easy-to-get-on-ness, time to make, communication ease, etc etc ETC) but I know you all know those pros and cons very well.

And the rub is that technically I could afford a Performance, even though I'm trying to save up for other things (and emergencies) and my charity brain screams "but you could donate that to the Humane Society...way better than your measly 10$/month that you currently donate... and save a lot of kitties and puppies!" and my thrifty side says "you haven't spent that much on anything in your life!" and then the rational side says "oh yes you did, you dropped around 2,000 on yoga teacher training and do you teach yoga now? NOOOOO!!!" and then the charity side says "well, and I guess if you are donating your time to teaching kids how to save the environment then that's as good as donating money (but it won't save kitties and puppies)" and the rational side says "it's just money...people spend it all the time! If you are saving it for something else, why not let this be your something else" and then some other side, the rarely heard (from me) math brain says "hey, hey, guess what?... if you were super patient you could get about 2 Jesse tails for less than the price of one Raven tail...same materials!" and then says "oh yeah, and to make you feel worse you COULD get about 3 basic tails for the price of one Performance tail...ha ha ha ha ha...".

And that's just the money issue. And that's just PART of the money issue debate in my brain. This goes along with that whole "analysis paralysis" thing :)

OMG...that is exactly how my mind works too! Just substitute humane society for "homeless people" or "starving children in Appalachia" and yoga for "photography props I bought but have yet to use in shoots" and that would be me exactly!!! lol

MerEmma
05-31-2013, 09:14 AM
I'm sorry about all that going on in your brain, Wavy! It sounds pretty nerveracking. The only thing I can really advise is that with the tail you will be able to make a bit of spare money, which you can easily donate to charity once you're there. <3

Ariel-Starfish
05-31-2013, 01:03 PM
I'm squeeling of happyness! ^____^ I can't wait to recieve it at home!!

As for Raven stops with making the basic tails: To bad! :( But I understand otherwise; it takes alot of time to make them...

MermaidHyli
05-31-2013, 01:37 PM
Just doing a little haopy dance over here :yay:
Raven is giving a shell top that matches my tail teheh so happy

Ariel-Starfish
05-31-2013, 01:42 PM
awsome!!

Mermaid Varshana
05-31-2013, 01:54 PM
Well, okay, now that other people are saying it, I'll say it too.

i would love a Raven tail. And I'm a freelance model like Raina, I would likely make money with it (although it would take me a very long time to make back $3600 that, between adult things like rent, vet bills, vehicle crap, and utilities, plus all this other stuff that always crops up by surprise when you're all growed up, I would never cough up in the first place). I'm stuck somewhere I hate for another 1 1/2 years, and this is something special that keeps my mind off of it.

I had this moment of clarity last night where I realized that, even if I dropped $1200 on a "cheap awesome tail," it would be vastly more than I spent on my gorgeous, custom-made ball gown wedding dress that was made of silk and beaded with genuine pearls. You know, the most important thing I've ever worn in my life. I....had a really hard time rationalizing that, on top of waiting for my husband's financial aid refund to come in while doing the math to see if, between his job, my paid medical study, Fae's surgery bill, our rent and utilities, and my mermaid tail, we will make it until the end of August. That's not really a bad few months, just normal life. It's not really a matter of intentionally wanting awesome work for what might be considered cheap to some, or saving up or waiting till life gets better. It's asking yourself if you can DO this without royally fucking up your family's finances. The answer for ME and my circumstances is probably, " Sorry hon, but no." Some people have the money or luck into it, most don't, and that's just the way it is.

AniaR
05-31-2013, 05:03 PM
Don't forget to read my post about effectively fundraising for your tail ;) ----> http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?5156-Some-points-about-fundraising-for-mermaid-tails

Mermaid Kalliope
05-31-2013, 05:35 PM
it would take me a very long time to make back $3600

I keep seeing my $3600 figure pop up when talking about the performance tail. Please keep in mind that I paid $600 for extra features.

$75 per pair of extra fins (2 pairs)
$250 for a dorsal
$200 for a custom fluke design

$3600 is by no means her "normal" price. I just wanted to clear that up.

(Performance tails start at $3000 +S&H)

Mermaid Varshana
05-31-2013, 06:20 PM
Don't forget to read my post about effectively fundraising for your tail ;) ----> http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?5156-Some-points-about-fundraising-for-mermaid-tails
It's weird. Because I have Asperger's, I haven't been able to hold down a "real" job in about four years, I pretty much HAVE to generate income by thinking outside the box, ie modeling, financial aid refunds, applying for random scholarships, paying for my dog's surgery by participating in a medical study. I think I got stuck in the "money is not for fun" trap. Supported myself that way almost 100% up until I got married a year ago. Maybe it's because I had to support myself all those years without depending on family, friends, or a steady employer, but it's just so hard to get out of the mindset that "I really want this thing that to most people serves no functional life-sustaining purpose, so I HAVE to do this myself." I know a lot of people probably don't have that problem, though.

Elle
05-31-2013, 07:15 PM
It's weird. Because I have Asperger's, I haven't been able to hold down a "real" job in about four years, I pretty much HAVE to generate income by thinking outside the box, ie modeling, financial aid refunds, applying for random scholarships, paying for my dog's surgery by participating in a medical study. I think I got stuck in the "money is not for fun" trap. Supported myself that way almost 100% up until I got married a year ago. Maybe it's because I had to support myself all those years without depending on family, friends, or a steady employer, but it's just so hard to get out of the mindset that "I really want this thing that to most people serves no functional life-sustaining purpose, so I HAVE to do this myself." I know a lot of people probably don't have that problem, though.

I know that on here, people have saved up money from every little thing in order to get their tails and it takes a lot of effort for everyone. At the moment I'm a stay at home mum, and a university student and my partner has just returned to study so we're both on government payments, sending a kid to school, paying of bills, saving for a wedding and my tail. It's really hard work and I want to have a tail more than anything. I've wanted this since I was 3 and I feel I need to do for myself. It won't serve a function as far as generating an income or helping me in a future career (I'm studying nursing so no links between the two), but I must have one eventually.
and if it takes me a few years, it takes a few years.

Mermaid Varshana
05-31-2013, 07:49 PM
I think I was referring more to asking for business grants, help from art communities, donations, etc. You know, generally sucking it up, swallowing your pride...and asking for help. *EEEEK!*

by all means, GET A TAIL.

Mermaid Kalliope
05-31-2013, 07:51 PM
I kind of feel the same way, Kakarotte. I was lucky, but if I hadn't been lucky, then I probably wouldn't have been able to save up money. I tried to save birthday and christmas money, but it usually goes to food or bills (or cats, yeesh). Though, I had planned on crocheting stuff and trying to sell that to save up for my tail, turns out I don't have to do that now, but I still want to get into selling my crocheting and maybe setting that money aside for accessories.

I also totally sympathise about the "holding a steady job" up until this past April, it was impossible for me to hold a job any longer than six months. I don't know if I have any particular reasoning why it's so difficult, but I just can't hold focus on it anymore and grow bored because I'm not thinking or being challenged, then I leave and try to find the next challenge. That's why I LOVE acting and (hopefully I'll do more) modelling. It's different every time! :D

I really hope things work out for you, and if you ever decide to start fundraising, and I have the money... I will donate! I promise!

Mermaid Varshana
05-31-2013, 08:03 PM
Thanks, Kailani :3 It's absolutely amazing how fast money runs in all different directions!

ME: Yes! I got into this $4100 study! I can get a high-end tail!

DOG: *kneecap falls out of place* HA-HA! Nope!

lasserine
05-31-2013, 09:03 PM
Life always throws curve balls. Anymore studies you can participate in?

Mermaid Varshana
05-31-2013, 09:22 PM
My husband would hate me being gone more...this one will require me to be off for 6 weeks.

....but the second that this company offers me another, best believe I'll be taking it.... >.>

Mermaid Kalliope
05-31-2013, 11:25 PM
<3 No problem. We should all have a chance at our fantasy in life. :3

Yeah.... Pretty much. Hahaha Oh yay! I have an extra $100!

Cats: HA NO! We all suddenly have tapeworm! So you have to buy pills AND new litter! MEOWAHAHAHA

Me: AURGHOIHTWOEIGHPIWENGOWEIHIOEHR WHY?! *headdesk*

Doesn't help that one of our cats is 12 friggin' pounds. So she requires 2 out of the 3 pills in the $25 bottle. So, I have to get 2 bottles and I only need 4 pills (Autumn gets 2, Yolei and Kefi only get 1)

Thanks guys... I love you too.

Ariel-Starfish
06-01-2013, 04:04 AM

I have asperger to, but still live at home.

Mermaid Kalliope
06-01-2013, 04:07 AM
Ariel - Is that picture in your signature your new tail?! It's so... so... I dunno! The colours just *BLEND* :D It's the exact blue that I'd like if I had a blue tail. :D You're going to look gorgeous!

Anyone have any new news on their tails? Updates on fundraising?

I know that my fluke sculpture is still in the works! It's quite a project, apparently. :-P I don't mind. I'm fairly certain she enjoys the challenge!

<3

Ariel-Starfish
06-01-2013, 04:11 AM
Thank you! Yes it's a sneak peak of my tail <3 I love it how the blues blend in

blenny
06-01-2013, 07:20 AM
I'd say Raven has earned her respect here for quality, don't discontinue the basic tails, just up the price to what Raven's time is worth. Sometimes a business model isn't about mass production but more about sustainability. Not everyone can afford a high-end product, but can you appropriately price a lower end product and deliver. My first business was about high end and profit, but I quickly learned that competitive low end made me 4x the money.

AniaR
06-01-2013, 09:41 AM
I think the thing people forget about Raven's tails too is that they are 100% custom, and a customized product takes a lot of time. They don't have scale sheets laying about to cut into whatever measurements, or pre made tails waiting around and ready to go. There's a huge amount of work that goes into making the tail and painting it, and even getting the customer photos for it!

Mermaid Kalliope
06-01-2013, 10:02 AM
Which is why I support her in whatever decision she makes. Neoprene is tough to work with, I know, and having to measure and cut each tail to fit each customer! Yikes! If she just had templates for small, medium, large, that would be one thing, but doing different measurements for each tail means no reusable pattern.

It would be like asking a fashion designer to put out tons of custom dresses made exactly to each customer's measurements and colour preferences. Ya, the "design" is the same, but the pieces change. It's just too much.

Unlike scarves or belts, I can pump out 25 scarves and make them the same length and width and they will "fit" most people. Tails aren't like that.

♥♥ The work and love Raven puts into her tails is amazing. Let her make the decision. :-D

Mermaid Isabela
06-01-2013, 10:54 AM
I think the thing people forget about Raven's tails too is that they are 100% custom, and a customized product takes a lot of time. They don't have scale sheets laying about to cut into whatever measurements, or pre made tails waiting around and ready to go. There's a huge amount of work that goes into making the tail and painting it, and even getting the customer photos for it!

Well said. I can only imagine the stress she goes through while cutting/sewing/glueing/etc with the basic tails. It's her business, whatever she decides, we should support her. If Basic tails are just too stressful or too much work for her... Honestly she should have the choice of discontinuing them! I haven't known Raven for a very long time, but ever since I've met her, I only see her working. Every. Single. Day.

That girl needs a break! <3

Ariel-Starfish
06-01-2013, 11:17 AM
Mer Isabela: you met her?! :o And yeah, she def. needs a break! <3

Mermaid Isabela
06-01-2013, 11:23 AM
Mer Isabela: you met her?! :o And yeah, she def. needs a break! <3
Not in person. We talk online occasionally. :)

Ariel-Starfish
06-01-2013, 11:28 AM
Oooh ok ;)

Mermaid Varshana
06-01-2013, 12:03 PM
Well, now that I'm not mad, I've come to the conclusion that everyone is right. Plus, there are lots of things that people want but don't have the funds for. You don't get down on yourself about a Mercedes not being affordable. . So, if you make the logical conclusion that you can realistically gather the funds for a well-made neoprene tail in the near future, and that's your first tail, hey, that's how Mermaid Hannah spent most of her career! If you can realistically gather the funds for a silicone tail, you're the target for that market. As for fundraising here in the the Midwest, the US can be incredibly stingy with where its money goes when "the little guy" is concerned, and every artist network I've been involved with is struggling financially. A big artist community in Columbus has almost had to close its doors a couple times. We don't really do grants outside of education here, and banks will only give you a loan if you can provide pay stubs that prove that you make a certain amount of money. No credit union I've approached for anything considers freelance modeling a real business (many of the photographers in this area who work with models feel the same way!). That's just the way the Midwest and the Bible Belt are. So, it's scholarship hunting and being a human guinea pig for me :) Canada sounds awesome!

Echidna
06-01-2013, 01:05 PM
I think the thing people forget about Raven's tails too is that they are 100% custom, and a customized product takes a lot of time. They don't have scale sheets laying about to cut into whatever measurements, or pre made tails waiting around and ready to go.

Was going to point this out.
Tails can only get cheaper if the industry will get behind it and machine-make them.

To stay with Kakarotte's wedding dress example;
this is a short exerpt on wedding gowns, explaining what you can expect for what amount of money.
This easily applies as well for clothes, shoes, or tails, respectively:

For around $500, you can purchase a wedding dress at a larger retailer that is machine made. Generally, these are made largely of synthetic fabrics, and have minimal amounts of hand-detailing. You may be able to purchase a lovely bridesmaid's gown in white from a more well-known designer. Make sure to get the wedding dress altered to help it fit you properly.

Brides who are looking for a designer wedding dress in silk or other natural fabric should expect to pay between $2000 and $4000. For this amount of money, the gown should be very well made, and include some hand detailing. You'll go to a salon where they'll measure you, help you pick your wedding dress, and order it directly from the designer in your size. Once it arrives, you'll pay a little extra to have it altered to fit you.

For brides who have an extravagant budget, expect to pay $6000 and up for a designer wedding dress custom made just for you. A seamstress will work with you to precisely fit and design the gown around your body. Most of the work will be done by hand.

Considering this, I won't complain about current prices.
Okay, I do complain, but only to myself while counting my savings :D

Mermaid Varshana
06-01-2013, 01:31 PM
Like I said when I stopped raging. You don't complain when a Mercedes is out of your price range and won't be for awhile. You just get a Corvette and sell it to help get a Mercedes if your finances improve. To be honest, you may find that you like corvettes, do just fine with them, and never get a Mercedes.

Mermaid Kalliope
06-01-2013, 05:38 PM
That's actually a really good analogy, Kakarotte. :-D

Ariel-Starfish
06-02-2013, 12:48 PM
Yep, totally agree with kakarotte ;)

So, did any of the latest bunch who ordered get their tails/had first pictures/unpacked their tails/ etc etc? :)

My order is going pretty fast ectually; I asked pictures on the day my 120 days where over, I got them asap, she asked if I wanted some adjustments and I said what and how. Now I rencently asked how much my shipping would be (to Belguim) and I think it won't last long until I hear some news.:yay:

AniaR
06-02-2013, 02:27 PM
So heads up people, Merbellas wont be working on orders until they're finished their lineup of gigs right now (I think about a week). It's unlikely they'll have time to respond to most emails or messages.

As Ive said previously, I've been helping Raven get a handle on her overwhelming messages in her inbox. I have to tell you, it's 99% worse than I thought in terms of how much junk mail they have to get through. On FB alone for the month of May, there was 100s and 100s of messages, and maybe like 3 or 4 were actually relevant in terms of people ready to pay or current clients discussing with them. More than half were people asking questions already answered on their FAQ, about 1/4 were just "do u make tails?". And then there were a bunch of things just not relevant. I guarantee this is like a million times worse than what I get in my email inbox, and this is just their FACEBOOK message centre. Some people just spam all their accounts like crazy. So, when people get all huffy about messages being returned, please remember that 1) The priority for them is getting their product out to clients who have paid and 2) 4 people are now working on addressing the messages, Raven and her Husband, and Me and Sean,..... and it's STILL not enough. I spent about 3 hours Friday night just going through FB messages archiving some things and responding to the ones I could respond to (which are basically just the emails telling people where to find the info for the tails etc.) I spent a few hours yesterday too. And they were going through it too. Just FB. So yeah, it's nuts.

Sean and I are hoping to implement a system for them with an auto-reply that answers FAQ, and gives important info. And then a system to organize their incoming mail automatically directly to folders like I have set up. Raven has helped me so much with my own mermaid career it's great to be able to help pay her back. But seriously. I have serious doubts that even hiring a secretary would help if 4 people can't get through all the messages in a day :p she is HIGH in demand!

Mermaid Isabela
06-02-2013, 02:35 PM
Super Raina comes in to save the day!
I can only imagine the horrors of e-mails they must get. I'm sure most of them are just kids wanting a tail without really knowing how much they cost. If there's anything I can do to help you guys just let me know. :)

Mermaid Kalliope
06-02-2013, 07:34 PM
Same here, let me know if you need help. I have a lot of free time. :-D

Mermaid Varshana
06-02-2013, 07:46 PM
I am going to be verrrryyyy verrrrryyyyy bored until the morning of the 6th. I am confined to what looks like a waiting room with 20 other people until then. If you guys need help, I will basically be having to sit on my ass until then

Winged Mermaid
06-03-2013, 01:55 AM
My tail was shipped and should arrive on Thursday!!!

http://i51.tinypic.com/2dv4c34.gif

(Shipping is going to be $120 though O_O)

Blondie
06-03-2013, 02:00 AM
Woohoo! I'm excited for you Iona!

Mermaid Kalliope
06-03-2013, 02:50 AM
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Yay!!!! So exciting!

Ariel-Starfish
06-03-2013, 06:42 AM
Yay Iona!! <3

As said here erlier; i'll have to sit on my butt for a week and wait :sad eyes:

Ariel-Starfish
06-03-2013, 06:44 AM
And that Gif made me pee my tail from laughing xD

MermaidHyli
06-03-2013, 06:35 PM
Ok I thought waiting for the tail to be made was rough...nope waiting for it to come in the mail is a killer also for the fact that its been stuck in florida for two days now O.o I stalk my tracking number like its my job and it hasnt moved. Like Iona my tail is due on Thursday which is only three days away but it feels like a life time..

Mermaid Kalliope
06-03-2013, 06:45 PM
Hahaha the minutes become hours? The hours feel like days? That kind of thing? :-P

MermaidHyli
06-03-2013, 06:51 PM
Completely! I kmow Fedex doesnt ship Sunday but it hasnt left florida at all today :( I really hope it comes by friday. My friend mermaid alexis who had the photoshoot with Raven recently is going to do a swim with me at my bridal shower to show off our tails and I guess kind of launch our shop that we have together call Salty Siren Sisters

AniaR
06-03-2013, 08:24 PM
Little note from Raven about shipping...

Ayla of Duluth
06-03-2013, 08:31 PM
I saw ravens note and now I feel really bad. I didn't know I was supposed to pay for shipping. She never brought it up and I thought I was getting free shipping as a thanks for being so patient and waiting for my tail while she moved, went through the silicone shortage, etc. I'd be happy to send her a check for shipping, the only problem is my parents will be PISSED about it. They're extremely stingy.

AniaR
06-03-2013, 08:52 PM
I'd ask her specifically. If she didn't tell you what the shipping was, she may not expect you to pay. I think this is more directed at people she's asked for money from and they never gave. I actually still owe her 150$ because shipping my tail was 350$ and we thought at most it would be 200$ (It's expensive to ship TO Canada)

Mizuko
06-03-2013, 08:59 PM
Yeah, my shipping to Australia express was $400. Shipping is so horrible at the moment! Some people suggested putting the cost of shipping into the whole tail price before the client orders, but that is tough. Here, for instance, the price of shipping has changed dramatically over the last 12 months- its really hard to keep up with postage costs!

Winged Mermaid
06-03-2013, 09:23 PM
I hear you Hyli. I'm looking at the tracking all like... MOOOOOVE! Looks like it finally left the facility an hour ago! I got my shipping payment sent in- woo woo! She originally told me she shipped COD, which is you pay fedex when you pick up the tail. But apparently you have to have a FedEx account to do that. But I'm all paid up so yay :) Gonna work on some new accessories to wear with my tail when it arrives!

http://media.tumblr.com/22027a174b6aa27677ed966fcce857f9/tumblr_inline_mmttxtw9gn1qz4rgp.gif

(You guys know the gifs aren't stopping right? Cause they're not. I WILL MAKE YOU FEEL HOW I FEEEEEL! XD)

MermaidHyli
06-03-2013, 09:29 PM
I guess we're tail shipping buddies cuz thats when mine was shipped out too..man I gotta find some awesome gifs! I really want to work on the stingray top but I need fiberglass abd thats a wedding present from a friend so I have to wait..he just sits there staring wanting.to be cast..gah gotta find some other things to make!!

Mermaid Kalliope
06-04-2013, 09:44 AM
Shipping is always the tough one. Which reminds me that I need to save up for that. (Losing my job ate what I had.) I will prevail!

lasserine
06-04-2013, 11:02 AM
Shipping costs can be tough. hope she works something else, and not eat the cost.

Ariel-Starfish
06-04-2013, 02:22 PM
I've asked how much my shipping costs would be and Raven asked where the tail must be shipped to. I respond asap but afther 4 days, i still heard nothing. I'm re-sending my email now .

Mermaid Kalliope
06-04-2013, 04:21 PM
Remember that she is travelling right now to perform and won't be able to respond to e-mails very quickly. Also, remember that Raina and mertender Sean are helping filter through e-mails. Be patient, she will get back. :-)

AniaR
06-04-2013, 04:48 PM
yeah, there's no way to know right now. With a lot of international stuff she can't get an accurate estimate from fedEx. They're working on getting a FedEX business account so stuff can be COD. But that wont happen until they get back. And I can't answer the question because I'm not in Florida. I would estimate it at a few hundread dollars, personally. It was 350 to send it to Canada, and 400something to go to Australia.

Winged Mermaid
06-05-2013, 06:27 AM
OH MY GOD MY TAIL IS IN SEATTLE!!! LESS THAN 2 HOURS AWAAAYYYYY, IT MAY COME TOMORROW!!!!!

http://media.tumblr.com/0e137b7b05ec5c44aadea1fa87936203/tumblr_inline_mmilr2BxNS1qz4rgp.gif
http://media.tumblr.com/f4949ebc5cbe4b9aa62d3c33cac755c8/tumblr_inline_mlzg70haaF1qz4rgp.gif
http://24.media.tumblr.com/612cc1b0cb1e4d0a9e069ee691bc439b/tumblr_mnvskz1lGE1rvawpfo1_500.gif

Mermaid Evolet
06-05-2013, 06:47 AM
omg iona i'm sooo excited to see pictures of your tail
and pleeeease make a "unboxing video" :D

Mermaid Kalliope
06-05-2013, 07:02 AM
OHMYGASHOHMYGOSHOHMYGOSH! I second the unboxing video!!! (Haha look what you started, Raina.)

Elle
06-05-2013, 07:45 AM
Yay! Congratz Iona

Rain
06-05-2013, 07:52 AM
I'd love to see an unboxing video too :)

Winged Mermaid
06-05-2013, 07:54 AM
Oh yes, I will do one! Even if my place is a wreck and I have no makeup on hahaha XD

CAN. NOT. CONTAIN. EXCITEMENT.

http://media.tumblr.com/a00555307c71c78f24c36a76e2b0de06/tumblr_inline_mnx4tjjQjc1rgve4j.gif http://media.tumblr.com/9a2a32f07d6888e7fd20bc4fcdb0f6da/tumblr_inline_mnx4wv8JzL1rgve4j.gif

Lotus
06-05-2013, 10:44 AM
you crack me up girl! Can't wait to see pics!

MermaidHyli
06-05-2013, 10:55 AM
My tail says its out of delivery, A DAY EARLY!!!!

Ariel-Starfish
06-05-2013, 03:28 PM
Oh yes, I will do one! Even if my place is a wreck and I have no makeup on hahaha XD

CAN. NOT. CONTAIN. EXCITEMENT.

http://media.tumblr.com/a00555307c71c78f24c36a76e2b0de06/tumblr_inline_mnx4tjjQjc1rgve4j.gif http://media.tumblr.com/9a2a32f07d6888e7fd20bc4fcdb0f6da/tumblr_inline_mnx4wv8JzL1rgve4j.gif

ADORABLE <3 ! :D *Queen of the Gifs* haha

Ariel-Starfish
06-05-2013, 03:31 PM
yeah, there's no way to know right now. With a lot of international stuff she can't get an accurate estimate from fedEx. They're working on getting a FedEX business account so stuff can be COD. But that wont happen until they get back. And I can't answer the question because I'm not in Florida. I would estimate it at a few hundread dollars, personally. It was 350 to send it to Canada, and 400something to go to Australia.

Any idea how much it would be for a basic tail shipped to Europe (belguim)? Raven said she had no clue couse she never had shipped any tails to.

Not That I want a spesific number, but I don't want it to be an unexpected suprise either :/

MerEmma
06-05-2013, 04:11 PM
I thought she shipped a tail to the girl from Belgium? Maybe she wasn't from there, but the girl with the goldfish tail with a name that was very complicated. She was in the Christmas video with Nemo 33.

MermaidHyli
06-05-2013, 04:12 PM
Frustration, curse words, and a lot of kicking myself in the a**

Raven sent it to my old address (even though I specifically said to send it to my parents house because we are in the process of moving to Richmond...my tail is 3 hours away, fedex closes as 6, tracking didnt even tell me it was an attempt delivery nor the address to where it waa being shipped, and they cant send it to richmond because raven would have to authorize it and she's out at gigs....*cries*

Just looks like ill be waking up at the butt crack of dawn to drive down get.my tail come back, pack everything for the wedding and head up to maryland to get everything ready for the wedding so that makes 9 hrs of driving? Awesome...

Mermaid Dottie
06-05-2013, 05:07 PM
Speaking of weddings... do we get to see you in your dress?

AniaR
06-05-2013, 05:11 PM
I had to drive an hour to get my tail because fedex took it to one of their big box places.... lol

Ariel I have no clue, like I said, my best estimate is at least 300$

Iona, UNBOXING VIDEO MUST HAPPEN.

MermaidHyli
06-05-2013, 05:16 PM
Yes! Ill post some pictures after the wedding :)

Jadestone
06-05-2013, 10:57 PM
IONA!! I SAW YOUR PICTURE ON FACEBOOK AND IT LOOKS BEAUTIFUL SO FAR! I can't wait for the video, ahhh!!

Mermaid Evolet
06-06-2013, 12:59 AM
first, iona i love the colors of your tail. its so beautiful! :D

second, does anyone of you know who the lucky merman is who gets the new tail raven posted on instagram?
the tail is amazing!

MermaidSaku
06-06-2013, 01:35 AM
Iona that tail is so amazing!!! xD
i'm so happy for you!!

Winged Mermaid
06-06-2013, 08:24 AM
Thanks so much guys! My computer is taking foreeeever with the videos. I've gone through 2 ice packs (otherwise converting and rendering overheats and freezes it) and hours of waiting and they're still not all done X_x This is what you get for HD I guess, haha. BUT I got video of me unboxing it, of me putting it on for the first time, and my first swim in it :D Here are a few pics!

MerEmma
06-06-2013, 09:26 AM
WOW! It's just SO pretty! Just the colors of your old tail, ahhh, it looks so pretty and the fins look great too! <3

I guess the fit was all right after all? :D

Arella
06-06-2013, 10:24 AM
That's so pretty Iona! :D

MermaidHyli
06-06-2013, 12:05 PM
Just picked up my tail!!! Its so gorgeous! I'm working uploading the unboxing video to my facebook and will add it to youtube :)

Mermaid Dottie
06-06-2013, 12:46 PM
WOOHOO! I love unboxing videos!

Phoenix Mermaid
06-06-2013, 01:06 PM
I think it would be neat to start a Raina tradition and have everyone do unboxing videos of their merbella tails :D

Ariel-Starfish
06-06-2013, 01:56 PM
Thanks so much guys! My computer is taking foreeeever with the videos. I've gone through 2 ice packs (otherwise converting and rendering overheats and freezes it) and hours of waiting and they're still not all done X_x This is what you get for HD I guess, haha. BUT I got video of me unboxing it, of me putting it on for the first time, and my first swim in it :D Here are a few pics!

Oh my lord! :D<3

MermaidHyli
06-06-2013, 02:14 PM
So video is taking FOREVER. But I did get a chance to take my tail swimming :) it fits like a dream! There were a lot of kids and I thought id share some of the conversations we had
Little girl: are you real? I feel legs?
Me: mermaid have bones too
Little girl: but you dont feel like a real mermaid
Me: have you ever touched a real mermaid?
Little girl: no..
Little boy: I have!!
Me: then how do you know I'm not real?

Little boy: are you trying to trick us?
Me: no why would I ever do a mean thing like that?

And my personal favorite
Little girl: do you have a boyfriend?
Me: yes and I'm getting married to him next weekend!
Litttle girl: will you eat your cake in the ocean?

It was a lot of fun and I cant wait to go again!

Ariel-Starfish
06-06-2013, 02:23 PM
<3 so cute!

anyway, I'm getting quite depressed now. Afther a Looooooong znd cold winter, shitty rain and lots of cold, we finally see the sun around here in Belguim! So I really MUST go swimming this weekend (with or without my old tail) or i'll go nuts!! And i just want my tail... Thr waiting for my tail waseb't so bad becouse we had shitty weather all these months...but now: I'M GOING CRAZY!!! (Sorry for my bzd langueage! It's just describes the weather perfectly)

[http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_llv7ahFp9n1qdq5u6.gif (http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_llv7ahFp9n1qdq5u6.gif)]

MerEmma
06-06-2013, 02:32 PM
Oh goodness Hyli, kids can be so weird. The other day I was swimming JUST in my monofin and I had some little 3-year-old boys who were just crazy obsessed with my Oceanika. I mean they would NOT leave me alone :P It wasn't too bad though, luckily. They asked some weird questions though. It sounds like fun though anyway! <3

spottedcatfish
06-06-2013, 05:00 PM
Congratulations to both Iona, and Mermaid Hyli! Two MerBellas tails in one week, is exciting for anyone!!

MerEmma
06-06-2013, 06:22 PM
I'm being driven crazy! I want to see Iona's videos so bad, omgggg. Let's hope HD is worth it? xD

Winged Mermaid
06-06-2013, 07:07 PM
Thanks everyone! Here's the unboxing video!

http://youtu.be/ZBJEujxYab8

Gonna go render the other one with me getting it on and swimming in it. Again.. it had an error last time so I have to start over, so that's why it's taking so long! It'll take several hours probably- hopefully that will be up tonight!

Ariadne
06-06-2013, 07:13 PM
Ermahgerd! That's awesome! So happy for you!

Elle
06-06-2013, 07:21 PM
Hooray! I'm glad you remembered to breathe tho :)
and how good was that handy bottle of syrup? :) lol

MerEmma
06-06-2013, 07:23 PM
Omg, SO awesome! It's so gorgeous, just, gahhh, your excitement is so great.

AniaR
06-06-2013, 07:31 PM
I LOVE THAT THIS IS NOW A THING BAHAHAHA. I get so excited for you all when you post unboxing videos, I am loving it. Bahah. Iona you're tooo cute!

Mermaid Kalliope
06-06-2013, 07:35 PM
Wow! Oh my gosh, Iona! The colours! Even though it's a blue tail, the range! Just.... WOW. Cannot wait for the swimming video!

Is that a Dalek on your couch?

AniaR
06-06-2013, 07:38 PM
Also, snagged these from Hyli's FB :D

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/941314_508172799248112_29342596_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/993037_508172129248179_692780675_n.jpg

telzey.amberdon
06-06-2013, 07:41 PM
Oh no,mermaid with a knife, dalek and a puddy!!

MermaidHyli
06-06-2013, 07:54 PM
Iona that was so adorable!!! Especially the little fin wave at the end :)

Raina thank you! This whole only internet on my phone thing is killing me! Haha

Mermaid Dottie
06-06-2013, 08:36 PM
I almost cried at that video. also Barbeque sauce!
EDIT: NO, NOT barbeque sauce. Maple syrup. On your couch. next to your dalek. 0.o

Mermaid Kalliope
06-06-2013, 08:48 PM
Hyli! That fluke! My gosh! It just looks like an extension of you! I'm in awe!

Mizuko
06-06-2013, 08:54 PM
Iona that tail is SO BEAUTIFUL <3 <3
And so is yours Hyli!!! XD XD ARGH SO MANY BEAUTIFUL TAILS!! <3

I never posted my un-boxing video to YouTube because I was/am embarrassed about all the stupid noises I make >__<

MerEmma
06-06-2013, 08:57 PM
Looks like such a nice pool, Hyli, and the tail is just so gorgeous omg I CAN'T STAND THE PRETTINESS. Normally I'm not much a fan of the long tendrils on flukes but GOSH IT LOOKS SO GOOD ON THE ANGLER FLUKE.

Mermaid Kelda
06-06-2013, 09:43 PM
Someone needs to keep a running tally of how many times everyone says "oh my god!" in these unboxing videos xD

Christopher Chandler
06-06-2013, 09:53 PM
Video was great! I can't wait til my little mermaid opens her box!

Jadestone
06-06-2013, 10:03 PM
Oh my gosh that was wonderful ahhhh!!! I am like... 75% convinced I want to buy a basic tail once I have the money in November. The angler fluke is just so PERFECTLY what I want. I can't bear it!!

Winged Mermaid
06-06-2013, 10:27 PM
Hooray! I'm glad you remembered to breathe tho :)
and how good was that handy bottle of syrup? :) lol

Haha I actually made a note in the description about the syrup cause looking at the video it's so random haha XD I just grabbed the first unopened bottle I saw in my panty cause I couldn't find my weights lol

WOW! It's just SO pretty! Just the colors of your old tail, ahhh, it looks so pretty and the fins look great too! <3

I guess the fit was all right after all? :D

Actually it IS a little short. It's alright when I'm swimming normally, but when I'm sitting, or when I turn or do certain movements it shows my crack O_o I'm running out to JoAnns today to get extra wide elastic (3-4 inches) so I can make a belt that will cover things. I'll be in a tank at the end of the month with a lot of photographers so that's the last thing I need!

Also the monofin is too big :( It was made for size 7.5-9 and I'm a 6 1/2. There's big lack of control issues while swimming as well as pain involved because of that. I'm ordering some 5mm neoprene socks today, I just pray it helps enough.

Taylor is a Mermaid
06-06-2013, 10:32 PM
Haha I actually made a note in the description about the syrup cause looking at the video it's so random haha XD I just grabbed the first unopened bottle I saw in my panty cause I couldn't find my weights lol

Actually it IS a little short. It's alright when I'm swimming normally, but when I'm sitting, or when I turn or do certain movements it shows my crack O_o I'm running out to JoAnns today to get extra wide elastic (3-4 inches) so I can make a belt that will cover things. I'll be in a tank at the end of the month with a lot of photographers so that's the last thing I need!

Also the monofin is too big :( It was made for size 7.5-9 and I'm a 6 1/2. There's big lack of control issues while swimming as well as pain involved because of that. I'm ordering some 5mm neoprene socks today, I just pray it helps enough.
Nooo! I thought I saw that in one of your pics, but I was hoping I was wrong. :( I really wanted your tail to be perfect for you after all the waiting and how hard you work for our community. Boo!

Mermaid Allie
06-06-2013, 10:57 PM
IONA YOUR TAIL IS A WORK OF ART. THOSE COLOURS JESUS GOOD LORD MANECHEVITZ

MermaidHyli
06-06-2013, 11:02 PM
Looks like such a nice pool, Hyli, and the tail is just so gorgeous omg I CAN'T STAND THE PRETTINESS. Normally I'm not much a fan of the long tendrils on flukes but GOSH IT LOOKS SO GOOD ON THE ANGLER FLUKE.

I may be wrong but I think the angler is only a performance fluke?

And Iona I'm sorry about the little hiccups with the tail but they shouldbe a quick fix! I too will have to get socks, whoch I'm gettin the kind I use for my dry suit should help since I dont have a band on the back of the fluke? Also a little tear on the seams at the opening of the tail :( but luckily I have some dragonskin lying around I can fix it with.

MerMarla
06-06-2013, 11:13 PM
Iona, your unboxing vid was sooooo exciting! I absolutely love your colors, blue is mine too! Can't wait to see your next vids! The tail is so beautiful! Congratulations!
Mermaid Marla

MerEmma
06-06-2013, 11:16 PM
Hyli, you have the Merbella scales too right?
I think the Merbella scales are a lot weaker than the rounded ones! My beavers were SO fragile I about went crazy with how the scales tore so easily and it sounds like your tail was kinda fragile as well, I wonder if I'm right or not? I haven't felt the rounded ones. But the Merbella scales get so thin in some places and so thick in others.

Blondie
06-06-2013, 11:26 PM
Iona awwwww. Your tail is gorgeous. I think the one thing I love most about it is the violet hinting in the color. It almost looks blue but when the sun hits it, it's that pretty violet. I don't know xD I just adore that. Plus I REALLY love that dorsal and I'm not really a dorsal person. I'm sorry about the little hiccups in it :\ Hopefully they can be solved. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Hyli!!! DAMN GIRL! That fluke is BEAUTIFUL on you!

MerMarla
06-06-2013, 11:28 PM
Hyli, OMG so awesome! Your colors are to die for !!! I love the slope to your pool, we don't have that at my pool! What a wonderful way to have kids come to see your tail, and have easy depth to deal with the demonstration! You are so lucky! Congratulations!
Mermaid Marla!

MermaidHyli
06-06-2013, 11:41 PM
Emma- yes they are a bit weaker. Ive never felt Ravens round scales but Ive made some out of dragonskin very similar and there are much stronger.

Thank you everyone for the compliments!! Fun story, thats not my pool..just a random one in my old town that allowed mermaid tails :) I havent found a pool here in Richmond yet but I will be sure to scope out some asap

MermaidHyli
06-06-2013, 11:47 PM
Also unboxing video finally uploaded!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE63QokRbZc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Mermaid Isabela
06-07-2013, 12:01 AM
Hyli, you and your husband are ADORABLE! And your tail is gorgeous!

Mermaid Kalliope
06-07-2013, 01:14 AM
Your hubby is so cute! "It looks like there's a real dead fish back here!" And your puppy!!! <3

That was my favourite unboxing video so far. :D

Mermaid Kenzie
06-07-2013, 02:23 AM
All these new Merbella's tails! I'm so green jello! I can't tell if I want to scream or cry of happiness for everyone lol. I need to start saving... like now.

MerEmma
06-07-2013, 08:26 AM
GAH. IT'S SO GORGEOUS. o_o

Ariel-Starfish
06-07-2013, 12:58 PM
OMG!!! (Is anyone counting? XD) Loving all these unboxing videos!!!! Aaargh i want meh tail 0_o

Mermaid Dottie
06-07-2013, 02:08 PM
This is me right now. (http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/pb-110331-jellyfish-green-ps.photoblog900.jpg)

Ariel-Starfish
06-07-2013, 02:22 PM
This is me right now. (http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/pb-110331-jellyfish-green-ps.photoblog900.jpg)

lol

Merman Arion
06-08-2013, 04:31 AM
When Iona tries her new tail despite the monofin being too big :

before trying :

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m95fdlegEx1r4fuk0.gif

the first try :

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m95f27fIaR1r4fuk0.gif

the second try :

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m95f2vivsi1r4fuk0.gif

the day after :

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m95f45RMjM1r4fuk0.gif

AniaR
06-08-2013, 09:34 AM
Yeah competitors are tricky, I know for a fact Raven got the smallest one she could (and had to pay more for it). It's a real bummer though :( especially to wait all that time. I am thinking if the smallest one doesn't fit Iona's 6 1/2 then it wont fit Ama's 4.... lol (she has tiny feet) so we probably wont be able to get Ama a competitor after all. I'm hoping the neoprene booties help Iona get her feet in!

Speaking of foo blisters though, I wore my tail for 7 hours yesterday. 5 of them were straight. By the time I was done my feet were sooooo blistered and I still have 4 gigs ahead of me this weekend! XD

Winged Mermaid
06-08-2013, 10:05 AM
I need to go back and read posts, but before I go to sleep I thought I'd post this! The video of my first time putting on the tail, and my first swim in it!

http://youtu.be/g698povG0T8

MerEmma
06-08-2013, 10:29 AM
Omg, it's so gorgeous and it looks so nice on you, too! <3 Not too bad for putting it on a first time, only took about five minutes, which really isn't so bad. You were lucky to have water too though :P
EEEE, that's just so exciting! I'm so happy for you~ it's just so prettyyyyyy. Sucks about the monofin though, Finis really needs to make competitors in smaller sizes.

Mermaid Varshana
06-08-2013, 10:40 AM
There are apparently similar monofins overseas that have sizing options. Maybe try them?

MerEmma
06-08-2013, 10:57 AM
I don't know it for a fact but I don't think they're precisely the same size in width, but I dunno. There definitely are other options, maybe Raven (or anyone wanting a tail) will look into it sometime!

AniaR
06-08-2013, 01:56 PM
hahaha Iona I love how you've got the tail just floating in the water at first. I can't believe you went for both legs at once. I still can't do that. I just do 1 at a time. It's sooo hard to get them past the swim bottoms. When I do dry events I wear a thong so I can get it on faster. The little fins looks so prettttttty. It seriously looks beautiful. You did a much better job than I do getting the ankle wrinkles out. I do see the little bit in th eback but thankfully it looks like it's not TOO low. I think a belt would work, even a netting belt should hide it. But seriously, I only saw it because I was looking for it with my face against the screen lol!

Little_Orca
06-08-2013, 02:39 PM
*Looks to her hips* Come on, 50 more pounds and we can have that! Let them go already!

It looks so lovely on you Iona. <33

Felicia
06-08-2013, 07:49 PM
All theses tails are so gorgeous I'm jealous and wish I could have one at this very moment. But a quick question for those with dorsals, how do you like them? I've been trying to decide if I want a dorsal and I think they look so gorgeous on the tails but I'm still slightly undecided an having one

Mermaid Kalliope
06-08-2013, 09:04 PM
I always thought that competitors were one size fits all. I should be fine, though. I'm a 7 1/2 to an 8, more recently gravitating towards an 8.

AniaR
06-08-2013, 09:35 PM
All theses tails are so gorgeous I'm jealous and wish I could have one at this very moment. But a quick question for those with dorsals, how do you like them? I've been trying to decide if I want a dorsal and I think they look so gorgeous on the tails but I'm still slightly undecided an having one

My dorsal is taking some getting used to. I'd say it's harder to get a tail on with a dorsal because it makes it tricky to roll down and pull up. But swimming it doesn't affect anything. And the big reason I love it, is that wet or dry if you couldnt get your tail up all the way (which happens to me a lot dry) there are so much dorsal going on you don't see any wrinkles

I always thought that competitors were one size fits all. I should be fine, though. I'm a 7 1/2 to an 8, more recently gravitating towards an 8.

Well, it's foot pockets, not straps that you can adjust. It looks like there was a smaller size but it was possibly discontinued. :/ I'm not sure if Raven noticed that it happened. I know when she got Iona's monofin we discussed it together and she got the smallest foot pocket one she could find. But now I am thinking it's just the smallest they offer now, and previously they offered smaller? I don't know. I wish companies would give some kind of notice if they discontinue a size or product.

MerEmma
06-08-2013, 09:47 PM
Yeah! Earlier when you guys were discussing the sizing I actually googled it to see if I would actually fit a competitor and I couldn't find anything under an eight, I don't think. Not so great! I only found the eight at one place.

Mermaid Kalliope
06-09-2013, 12:25 AM
Well, at least I'm close to the size. ><

Iona! You are adorable!

Ariel-Starfish
06-09-2013, 03:53 AM
Woah! Missed all these posts! Why do you merfolk always post when i'm sleeping? Damn u time zone! x'D haha

Wow Iona! Putting on a tail in only five minutes ? Congrats! :D You are such a sweet and beautyful mermaid ^^ <3

Mermaid Kalliope
06-09-2013, 04:12 AM
Ugh, now that I'm not on my "I don't want you to post" phone... haha

Awww! Great time with getting it on the first time! (whoa, out of context that sounds... haha) It was so entertaining and adorable to watch you wiggle in! :-P It looks absolutely fintastic on you! <3 The colours! And your little fins! Er mah! Rock it girl!

Haha and the girls... "Get out, there's a big fish!" Haha

Raina - Grrr Now I gotta go back and check. ><

Y'all got me paranoid about my tail length, cause I got a bootah. *flails*

Stillwater
06-09-2013, 03:21 PM
So I have been nearly silent thanks to being extra busy, but I have to chime in on this today. I think I was one of the few who managed to get an order in with Raven around the same time Iona and Hyli did. It has been a long, long wait, full of plenty of surprises that no one expected (silicone shortages, paint shortages, bad molds, miscommunications, etc, etc)...but, guess what arrived yesterday:

Raven's first merman tail. I had to go along with everyone else and shoot the unboxing video, but I haven't had a chance to do any editing or uploading yet. It may also never see the light of day: I don't like watching myself on video.

There might be some slight size measurement issues around the waist. Everything sits in the proper place, but the hips and waist are a bit too big as I can gather up probably a half an inch of extra silicone to pull it tight.

And seriously, this thing is heavy and fantastic. Raven sent me pictures of the finished tail and I was: "Yeah, that looks good." then I open it up and it is simply amazing in person. The pictures do not do it justice at all. Now to get a proper swim in it in...

Ariel-Starfish
06-09-2013, 03:37 PM
Omg you have your tail already?! :D So cool! Argh I want mine SOOO bad now >_<

I just have no words for this: So cool for knowing a merman whit such a cool tai! Really strong colers u picked there :D Just awsome <3

MerEmma
06-09-2013, 04:03 PM
WOW! So cool! I saw her post the dorsal I think it was on instagram. It's very pretty and I love the colors to it--I've also been wondering when Raven would make a merman tail!

Felicia
06-09-2013, 04:52 PM
Hey Iona if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay after the extra fins? They look amazing btw

Jadestone
06-09-2013, 05:28 PM
Does anyone know if Raven still does extra fins on the basic tails? It says on her facebook info that she does, but I remember her posting a few months ago saying they were no longer offered on the basic tails... I'm hoping that they still are, not that the information section is out of date :)

MerEmma
06-09-2013, 05:45 PM
Where are you reading that? She can't do them anymore for the basic. When I read the FAQ it says not...just curious. :P

Arella
06-09-2013, 05:55 PM
I asked her when I had mine done and she says she doesn't do them on basics.

MermaidHyli
06-09-2013, 10:51 PM
Gah!! My tail doesnt fit in the suitcase! Has anyone traveled in a plane with their merbellas tail? Im terrified of it getting broken, crushed, or torn. :(

Mermaid Varshana
06-09-2013, 11:35 PM
Try a giant art portfolio bag.

Ayla of Duluth
06-09-2013, 11:58 PM
Yep, large artist portfolio is how it's done.

Mermaid Kalliope
06-09-2013, 11:59 PM
Hey Iona if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay after the extra fins? They look amazing btw

$75 per pair

$250 for a dorsal.

That's what mine cost. :-)