PDA

View Full Version : HOW CAN I DO THIS??? :D

Mermaid Wesley
12-02-2012, 07:55 PM

See how the fluke is like scalloped? do you think I could make the ends that way on my tail? could I make little extensions off my tail like this? I kindof like the idea of it billowing like a sail... idk how its gonna look, but i have always liked the animated tails that look like fish tails with ribbing and a membrane-type fin across it. Im not sure if this idea would actually work.. maybe i could use zip ties? has anyone tried this?

Winged Mermaid
12-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Can you specify what material you are using for your tail please? Generally zip ties are good for either light weight fabrics (like dorsals made from a lightweight sheer fabric) or if it's not supporting but giving shape (like zip ties imbedded in latex or silicone). For a fluke I'd go vinyl tubes or PVC piping instead. Vinyl can be very flexable or very stiff depending on what you choose, and come in a lot of sizes. The PVC would be much more rigid. For both you may want to start looking around 1/4'' depending on the look you're going for.

Mermaid Wesley
12-02-2012, 09:50 PM
thanks for the tips! im using spandex for my tail. Its my first one :) I am just playing around with the idea... ill probably have to test it out

Mer_Adella
12-03-2012, 03:31 PM
I know that it might be expensive, but possibly look for some boning (the stuff that people make corosets with). I know that when my mom made me a coroset i noticed that the boning would make the bottom of the top look like it was how you want the bottom of your tail to be. But I would go for Winged's idea first. See if that works, then if it doesn't try the boning. Most mers on here love the way the zipties work

Mermaid Wesley
12-04-2012, 02:33 AM
Oh yeah! I hadnt thought if that! Thanks!

Coradion
12-04-2012, 05:47 AM
If you want to make it serrate then you can either make silicone in that shape with mold materials or you can add plastic or fiberglass rids to your monofin to act as the bones in the caudal fin. Then pour silicone caulk over the whole thing and cut off the excess in the shape you want, a scalpel or exacto knife would probably do it.

Marilla
03-27-2013, 01:42 AM
Thanks for posting Hopefully! I am trying a fluke similar to this but a bit bigger with a male betta in mind. I had vinyl tubing in mind as well Wingèd. How big do you think I could go before the drag is too much? Just wondering. Thanks!

Winged Mermaid
03-27-2013, 04:47 AM
Ooh, drag is a tricky thing, especially with fabric tails. I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you there. It may just be a thing of trial and error.

Also for anyone interested in zip ties, if you go to a big hardware/home improvement store and look in the ziptie section they sell really thick and really long ones. Here's a comparison between a regular and thick one.

Marilla
04-01-2013, 07:21 PM
Neat zip ties! I will certainly be incoporating them, I have some cool ideas too. I will try to post pics on this thread, granted I remember. :P