PDA

View Full Version : Mertender can't register

Thalassa
12-03-2012, 03:54 PM
My mertender has been trying to register for mernetwork. He's tried two different email addresses, puts me in as a referrer, does the human verification...and at the end it says the registration is denied because the forum has a spammer policy.

I tried registering for him with both email addresses, as well, and it gives me the same message. Help?

Ayla of Duluth
12-03-2012, 04:13 PM
Im pretty sure we shut down registration for the time being be ause the forum was getting spammed multiple times a day by bots. So as soon as the admins open registration again, he should be able to join

Thalassa
12-03-2012, 04:15 PM
Good to know! Thanks.

AniaR
12-03-2012, 08:05 PM
the registration was only JUST opened back up. If he still can't register today, contact one of the mods. They did make an announcement about it.

Thalassa
12-03-2012, 08:17 PM
I'll check it out. I didn't see an announcement, but then I'm frequently blind (so to speak). XP

malinghi
12-03-2012, 08:25 PM
In response to a wave of spam, registration was shut down for a couple days while we came up with a solution. We installed some modifications to block spam. Sounds like they're a little too powerful.

Thanks for bringing this up. This is really useful feedback. So the changes we made are first, there's a harder captcha to solve. That part he's getting past, right? The other modification blocks anything believed to be spam by checking the username, email, and IP address against a huge database of spammers. It sounds like either his IP address or username may have been once used by a spam bot in the past. Can you have him try signing up with a different name and on a different computer? If that doesn't work I can make changes to the spam blockers.

Thalassa
12-03-2012, 08:37 PM
We tried different emails and computers, so this time we changed the username. It worked, now!

GawainFalke
12-03-2012, 08:50 PM
thanks for the help getting me registered :)

malinghi
12-03-2012, 11:18 PM
No problem, sorry for the inconvenience. By the way, what username were you trying that didn't work? I want to go check and confirm that was what was triggering the spam blocker.

GawainFalke
12-04-2012, 12:57 AM
i was trying to use Gawain (my parsona's first name) so i used GawainFalke (my parsona's first and last name)