PDA

View Full Version : Mermaids with Tattoos, or off status quo mermaid looking getting bookings

Mermaid Harmony
12-04-2012, 02:17 AM
Just a quick question for any/all of you. I do some birthday parties now, and hopefully will work at a hotel as a mermaid in their aquarium in a few months, but I just booked my appt. to start my half sleeve in January. I'm super stoked, and have been planning on my sleeve for years, so I know I'm not making the wrong decision, but with those of you who have tattoos or look different than the mermaid status quo, have you had trouble booking parties, do you face any difficultly, or is it no big deal for most people/places?
Just curious, as I'm kind of nervous if this means some places wouldn't hire me (won't change my decision, but good to know, I suppose)
Thanks,
Harmony

New York Mermaid
12-04-2012, 02:27 AM
i know someone here went for a job at an aquarium? or some place that didint want tattoos,

i know alot of mers on here have tattoos, some dont. Alot of people are pretty open to tattooed mermaids, while others are, not so much..i guess it depends. as well. you might want to ask the aquarium about their tattoo policy just out of curiosity.

I'll be getting mine eventually a small orca tail, in a place where the tail will cover it.. but i can show off when i want to

MermaidofPeridots
12-04-2012, 03:13 AM
I looove mermaids with tattoos, they look so unique!

Nykur
12-04-2012, 03:24 AM
In my upcoming tail theres gonna be a little Celtic swirl just above the pectoral fin, and I think its 100% for a mer to have a tattoo, it makes them more 'tribal'

-Annwyn-
12-04-2012, 08:13 AM
I have a celtic knot heart on my lower back that is nearly always covered up by my tail, or even a pair of jeans when in human form. Sometimes I forget it's there.

Take that into consideration when getting your ink, and weigh up the pros and cons. I can hide mine, so I have nothing to lose. Wouldn't get a sleeve done though. It's bad enough going to Japan and being forced to cover it up when visiting an Onsen (bath house) .

EnidDarkWater
12-04-2012, 05:37 PM
If you look into the tattoos thread there are photos of my tattoo(s) almost half my back is done in what would be considered non tradtional stuff for a modern mermaid. I have a cemetery large dead tree etc. Some people like them,Some people dont.So it can interfear with getting work just like it can in any other job situation.I think depending on what it is the aquarium might be a little more accepting.Creepy zombies etc they prob wont be thrilled with.

Sammi Ray
12-05-2012, 06:19 AM
It really is such a big shame that people discriminate on tattoos (and other things) when it does not interfere with how good you are at your job. If you are a bit worried maybe get some pretty arm covers in the same colour as your tail :)

EnidDarkWater
12-05-2012, 06:44 AM
It really is such a big shame that people discriminate on tattoos (and other things) when it does not interfere with how good you are at your job. If you are a bit worried maybe get some pretty arm covers in the same colour as your tail :)

I think this could work out well for those who can cover theirs up :)

Sammi Ray
12-05-2012, 06:59 AM
They are really easy to make too :) look really pretty with little bits of floaty fabric attached. :) It might not cover up all of it especially if it starts on your shoulder but you just have to be creative :)

Mermaid Harmony
12-05-2012, 12:52 PM
That's a good idea, I thought about making some silicone scales to cover it up with some paint on it for the tattoos that aren't nature based. :-) Thanks guys!

Sammi Ray
12-05-2012, 01:02 PM
No need to thank :-) thats what we're here for :-) let us no how it goes :-) get some pics up!