PDA

View Full Version : Casting a silicone tail

Nykur
12-05-2012, 04:53 AM
Ok so, there is so many tutorials on the internet showing and telling you ho to sculpt the tail and how to make the mold. But I keep missing the most important part, how to you fill up the mold with silicone while still leaving room for your legs?!:confused: I know you need to make a cast of your own legs, I got that part down at least, but now how to place it in the mold so that if I cast the silicone that its precisely in the middle so that the silicone's thickness is even on all sides?
Any tips?

Thank you!

Sammi Ray
12-05-2012, 05:11 AM
From what i saw most people use the mold to make a higher part around where your feet would go into, measure the height of the monofin and width of where your feet go into. make the height of the mould the same. If your using a clay mold this is easier to sculpt. Then when it comes to putting the mold over your monofin it should fit. Don't Know if it helps at all, but i'm not that good at explaining. I'm sure other people will post some good advice :)

Morticia Mermaid
12-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Nykur~ Being a tailmaker myself and having done quite a bit of research, I can tell you that the easiest way to make the body of the tail is to make flat scale sheet molds and then just connect them in the form of the legs so that it is snug. It takes a bit longer, but the process is much simpler.

Try checking out this thread that Kanti made. Its a silicone tail tutorial (http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?2089-Full-Silicone-Tail-Tutorial-In-the-works)