PDA

View Full Version : So you want to be a marine biologist?

Coradion
12-06-2012, 02:07 PM
We have this on our wall at work in the aquarium, it's pretty much 100% true.

So you want to be a marine biologist? Well sonny, or sonnette, as the case may be, why don’t you just sit down and let a real marine biologist give you some damn good advice. And wipe that smirk off your face, sit up straight and for goodness sakes stop fidgeting! You’d think you had lice the way you are carrying on. You do? Oh well, never mind.

First of all there are three really, really bad reasons to want to be a marine biologist. If you have even an inkling that these are yours, please run away as fast as possible, ‘cause neither you nor we will be happy.

Three Really, Really Bad Reasons to Want to Be a Marine Biologist
Reason Number One: "I want to be a marine biologist so that I can talk to dolphins."

Believing this is simply the Kiss of Death. This is the verbal equivalent of reaching down your throat, pulling out your own intestines, wrapping them around your neck and choking yourself. When we hear this our impulse is to thwack you a good one on your keester with the frozen haddock we keep within arm’s reach just for this occasion.
And why is that? It is because, and please listen carefully, while you may want to talk to dolphins, dolphins do not want to talk to you. That’s right. Mostly, dolphins want to eat fishes and have sex with other dolphins. And that pretty much cuts you out of the loop, doesn’t it? Oh, I know that there are the occasional dolphins that hang around beaches, swim with humans and seem to be chummy, but these are the exceptions. You don’t judge the whole human race by the people who attend monster car rallies, do you?
Just be honest with yourself. If you want to talk to dolphins you don’t want to be a biologist. What you really want to do is explore your past lives, get in touch with the Cosmic Oneness and conduct similar-minded individuals on tours to Central America looking for evidence that We Are Not Alone. Our experience is that people who feel this way last about 6.5 minutes in any biology program.
Reason Number Two: "I want to be a marine biologist because I really like Jacques Cousteau."

That’s nice. We really like Jacques Cousteau, too. But, drinking thousands of gallons of red wine while scuba diving around the world does not make you a marine biologist. It makes you a wonderful and effective spokesperson for the sea, and gives you a liver with the consistency of a chocolate necco wafer, but it does not make you a marine biologist.
Reason Number Three: "I want to be a marine biologist because I want to make big bucks."

Okay, here’s the bottom line. By Federal law, marine biologists have to take a vow of poverty and chastity. Poverty, because you are not going to make squat-j-doodly in this job. Just how squat is the doodly we are talking about? Well, five years after finishing my PhD I was making slightly less than a beginning manager at McDonalds. Ooh, a 36 year old guy with 13 years of college and 5 years of post-doctoral experience making just about as much as a semi-literate 19 year old with pimples the size of Bolivia, who can speak perhaps 3 words at a time before the term "you know" enters the conversation.
And chastity because, well, who’s going to date a marine biologist? The smell alone tends to dissuade a large proportion of the opposite sex.
Two Really, Really Good Reasons to Want to Be a Marine BiologistReason Number One: "You can dress and act almost any way you want."

This is true. Marine biologists are almost entirely free of any of those silly restrictions that blight the professional landscape of our fellow proletarians. This is because no one really cares about what we do or what we say. You want to come to work dressed in scabrous khaki shorts and a torn black Sandman shirt? Fine. You want to grow a scruffy beard, get a tattoo of a gooseneck barnacle on your arm or burp at inopportune moments? No problem, just do good work.
Reason Number Two: "If you like it, just do it."

Look, the reality is that you only go around once in life and if, by chance, you do come back, knowing how you have behaved in this life, you will undoubtedly come back as a slime mold. And most slime molds cannot be marine biologists. So just go out there and do what you enjoy. Marine biology is a wonderful profession. You want to find cancer cures by grinding up sponges? How about figuring out why hammerhead sharks always come back to the same seamount? Or where is the missing carbon dioxide that industries are producing; could the ocean be soaking it up? All neat projects. But pay attention here. None of this involves drinking copious quantities of fermented grape juice, while intoning "The ocean, she is strange and wondrous, filled with animals that disturb even a Frenchman."
The ocean is an exciting, never-dull place that is perfect for piddling away your existence. And just think, you actually get paid to think cool thoughts and do cool things.

And so what if you will never have sex again?

SeaGlass Siren
12-06-2012, 03:01 PM
Whoowhoo for no sex!

Coradion
12-06-2012, 05:34 PM
It's super exciting. We make dirty jokes about seaweed and penis fencing nudibranchs.

SeaGlass Siren
12-06-2012, 06:25 PM
I've wanted to be one since grade 6 but i couldnt wrap my head around science and math. (...well i wanted to be a lot of things)

even now i don't have the credentials.. or the brainpower .__. how did you become one?

Mermaid Harmony
12-06-2012, 06:37 PM
I think I'll just be friends with the marine biologists, and sponge off little bits of knowledge here and there. :-)

MermaidBrittany
12-06-2012, 07:33 PM
Wow I really like this! I am actually planning on going to college to become a marine biologist. I have wanted to for as long as I can remember, but those reasons are definatly not even on my radar!

Mermaid Saphira
12-07-2012, 02:28 PM
It's super exciting. We make dirty jokes about seaweed and penis fencing nudibranchs.

:rotfl:

Coradion
12-28-2012, 01:20 PM
I've wanted to be one since grade 6 but i couldnt wrap my head around science and math. (...well i wanted to be a lot of things)

even now i don't have the credentials.. or the brainpower .__. how did you become one?

Um, I asked my Mom what you called someone who studied fishes when I was two. She looked it up, told me, and I said I wanted to do that in Hawai'i. 19 years later I'm doing just that. I've always loved all things aquatic, it's been pretty consistent and I don't think I've ever seriously considered a different career path. I kept a lot of fish as a hobby, read a ton, and then ended up where I am through a lot of motivation I guess.

SeaGlass Siren
12-28-2012, 02:49 PM
Um, I asked my Mom what you called someone who studied fishes when I was two. She looked it up, told me, and I said I wanted to do that in Hawai'i. 19 years later I'm doing just that. I've always loved all things aquatic, it's been pretty consistent and I don't think I've ever seriously considered a different career path. I kept a lot of fish as a hobby, read a ton, and then ended up where I am through a lot of motivation I guess.

wow... :<

seagirls626
12-28-2012, 03:07 PM
I want to become a marine biologist because I love helping animals. Especially dolphins and whales. :)

Bellasea
12-28-2012, 03:16 PM
Yay for marine biology! I wanted to be a lot of things, but i wanted to be a marine biologist before i could say biologist :D I am just starting my first year of college, but I plan on going into Marine Biotechnology (which is still marine biology)

roamingmer
12-28-2012, 04:08 PM
Back in 2005 I was visiting a Swiss Whale research place in Quebec... and the young marine biologists had the fun of cleaning a whale carcass for a few days. Quite stinky work and no gratitude from the whale in the end. It is good to have goals - but all too easy is to have life take you in a different way.

AniaR
12-28-2012, 04:32 PM
we have a surplus of marine biologists in my city, lol

Patches
12-29-2012, 06:26 PM
Alright this definitely discourages me more lol not to mention the fact that they want me to take two semesters of calc and 2 of physics. Yeah, no thank you. xD

Merman Dan
12-29-2012, 07:35 PM
a similar thread at Deep Sea News (http://deepseanews.com/2011/11/so-you-want-to-be-a-marine-biologist-deep-sea-news-edition/) ...

Bellasea
12-29-2012, 08:11 PM
Alright this definitely discourages me more lol not to mention the fact that they want me to take two semesters of calc and 2 of physics. Yeah, no thank you. xD

God I hate physics! I swear I am going to end up killing myself with all the studying, and yet I am still failing...

Zelly
01-04-2013, 12:51 AM
Reason Number Three: "I want to be a marine biologist because I want to make big bucks."
This made me laugh a little. No wonder my dad is always broke. He doesn't even use his education to work, just to talk about ocean life, dive and fish. Oh and of course lecture his daughters.

Coradion
01-04-2013, 01:06 AM
It can be rough depending on your program. My schools weed out classes are a year of organic chemistry, a year of calculus, cell and molecular biology, then just for fun they added in biochem. Like 126 required credits not including gen eds.

roamingmer
01-04-2013, 05:19 AM
Having done a Physics BSc i can tell you most of it is working out how to abstract the problem into "building blocks" and take it from there. Enjoying maths also helps a lot; algebra and calculus are all about applying the standard rules to each problem. The worst thing is to "worry" about it - relax and keep trying! And use a look-up book to remind you of the common rules.

The first year of uni is nearly always about weeding out those not strong enough to allow themselves to develop in the way the ciurse needs. Like cleaning whale skeletons - if you cant handle it then it is prObably the wrong profession.

Do i use physics tiday? Not directly but i still use 3d comples numbers (quaternions) so perhaps some

roamingmer
01-04-2013, 05:20 AM
Darn this autocorrect feature

Chenne
07-28-2013, 08:18 AM

I did the same thing though due to my being a stupid teen and not wanting to do what my mum thought was cool, I switched to anthropology and started studying that. Two years ago I realized I was doing something I only had an interest in to learn but not do for the rest of my life. So I got back on track and will be graduating next year with a bs of biology and off to grad school!

Moral of the story: Marine Biology is awesome and always listen to yourself

Ilyena
08-03-2013, 10:07 AM
I think I'm in the same boat, always been interested in that specific field and 19 years later I'm in my third year of my marine biology course and going on to do honors next year. Yes a lot of people think its all dolphins and whales then get disappointed, but there is more to marine biology. All the amazing creatures which are out there captivated me from a young age and now with processes changing finding out what is happening is really interesting.

Yes, yes it is awesome.