PDA

View Full Version : Fin making please respond!

MermaidAubrin
08-08-2011, 07:13 PM
So I have done measurements (except for the mono fin I have yet to order it) while figuring out what king of fin I want (as in how I looks) I ran into some problems I want my fin to look similar to mermaid ravens (if you don't know what it look like just search mermaid raven on you tube) it looks like the mono fin is uncut and the shape of the fin is the fabric ( or silicone or latex) but it looks like she has something around the edges keeping it semi stiff (it still moves but I doesnt all just fall) dose any one know how she did it? thank you for your time and help!

Kanti
08-08-2011, 07:24 PM
The fin is definitely cut from whatever monofin she decided to use.
You can tell because fabric wouldn't be able to keep the shape, it would waft gently in the water.
It also wouldn't support your body enough to propel you through the water. Think about it,
your ENTIRE body is being pushed through the water with the monofin, of course it's going to bend.
If her fluke were made out of fabric, you would see that it wouldn't be as stiff as hers is.

Another thing, you can somewhat see that her monofin doesn't connect to the end of her tail
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNWtR7I4Jyg
At around 00:50 of this video, you can see the very end of the tail filled with air and the edges
following the right and left side of the tail rather than the monofin. Basically, I would guess that
her monofin runs to about 3/4 of the fluke and the rest is just fabric, kept in place by the "railing"
on each side of the tail. You can tell because the very end of the tail flips differently than the rest.

As for the "railing" that's on either end. She probably accomplished that using plastic plumbing.
I'm not sure what it's called exactly, but it's found at Home Depot or Lowes in the plumbing section.
You could also use a hose or anything else that's rigid, yet flexible.
http://www.amazon.com/Polyurethane-Clear-Tubing-Working-Pressure/dp/B000FMWR5E
There's an example, but it's a bit expensive o_O
But it's mainly so you can see what I'm trying to say xD

Hope it helped!

MermaidAubrin
08-08-2011, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the help!!!

Kanti
08-08-2011, 07:42 PM
I'm sorry, also! I misread the first part of your post xD
But yes you may be correct. She may not have had to cut her monofin at all, since I suspect it doesn't run
to the end of the tail, nor can we really see the exact shape, so it's hard to tell.
But you were correct in that the back of the fluke probably follows the "railing" and that's what's actually
holding it's shape.

I thought for some reason you were saying she didn't use a monofin at all~ Sorry about that.

MermaidAubrin
08-08-2011, 08:44 PM
Oh it's ok ^_^

Mermaid Photine
08-08-2011, 10:49 PM
That plastic plumbing you mentioned reminds me of the acyrlic (?) tubing my dad uses to change the oil in his car. I had to pour the oil down the approx. 1 inch diameter tube it to reach some fancy complicated car bit. The stuff is fairly flexible, but I don't know its resistance to chemicals (eg chlorine) because I havn't seen it in multiple uses. And he probably got it at home depot. Hope this helps. :)

MermaidAubrin
08-08-2011, 11:39 PM
Thanks :) I'm going to pick some up along whith Alexat home depot