PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium Silicon as an alternative to ALEX?

angie
12-08-2012, 12:58 PM
Aquarium silicon is nontoxic, and would stick to a silicon adhesive bra, right? Then I guess you would mix the aquarium silicon with acrylic paints like you would ALEX? Would that be a way to make a scale top? I would put net over mine, for modesty, but has anyone tried this, or could tell me if they have used aquarium silicon like this before?

angie
12-08-2012, 01:19 PM
I was also wondering how much would be needed. It is mostly sold in 2-3 oz tubes, but I found I fould one with 10oz here: http://www.onlinepetdepot.com/glass-aquarium-silicone-sealant-clear-p-17911.html?gclid=CMbpzva0i7QCFek7OgodtgIA4A

For $13, as opposed to the 2-3 oz tubes for 6-4ish dollars. Of course, shipping will be ridiculous, so does anyone know if they sell this in larger quantities at home depot or lowes?

Tasha Mermaid
01-20-2013, 10:47 PM
Hey this is a really interesting question, i hope someone can answer this because now im curious too :P

Blondie
01-21-2013, 12:20 AM
To be honest I've ponder this as well xD I'm interested to know.

Lotus
01-25-2013, 10:03 AM
Ah, funny you should bring this up- I have a GIGANTIC tube of aquarium silicone, I've played around with it here and there... I am planning on making a top from it (one my gals will actually fit in...) SO, I'll let you know how it goes.

angie
03-07-2013, 09:00 PM
So I got a small tube of clear DAP Aquarium Silicone for testingpurposes. My results are as follows:

For coloring: AS (Aquarium silicone) mixes fairly easily with acrylicpaint. Acrylic is water based, and the silicone is moisture-curing. Therefore,adding acrylic paint shortens the curing time, but it is still plenty workable(for my method, at least.) It also comes in tons of colors, and some metallics.

For not-Coloring: The AS is super –clear, so I also tried painting the neopreneunderneath and putting clear scale on top. It’s a different look.

For sheen/sparklyness/glitter: ASmixes well with all kinds of glitter and pigment. The only thing I would avoidis very course glitter, because the edges are flat enough and sharp enough tocut through the silicone as the silicone stretches.

For workability: AS is basically a silicone glue. So it’s sticky. Thismakes working with it with bare hands difficult. It is also too thick to pour intomolds. And it’s not really possible to squeeze directly onto the surface ofchoice (neoprene in my case), because I wanted to mix it with glitter and paintand stuffs. So I figured out a method, which it to pipe out individual scaleslike icing. I got disposable icing bags and metal tips in different shapes andsizes. I liked the result I got from large, round tips held at a steep angle tothe surface.

I will post pictures of each thing as soon as I can hunt down my testscraps and upload them.

orca
03-08-2013, 02:29 AM
Aquarium silicone kann man aber nicht painting ich nem silicone rubber das ist besser findet man in ebay

Dacora
03-08-2013, 02:49 AM
So I got a small tube of clear DAP Aquarium Silicone for testingpurposes. My results are as follows:

For coloring: AS (Aquarium silicone) mixes fairly easily with acrylicpaint. Acrylic is water based, and the silicone is moisture-curing. Therefore,adding acrylic paint shortens the curing time, but it is still plenty workable(for my method, at least.) It also comes in tons of colors, and some metallics.

For not-Coloring: The AS is super –clear, so I also tried painting the neopreneunderneath and putting clear scale on top. It’s a different look.

For sheen/sparklyness/glitter: ASmixes well with all kinds of glitter and pigment. The only thing I would avoidis very course glitter, because the edges are flat enough and sharp enough tocut through the silicone as the silicone stretches.

For workability: AS is basically a silicone glue. So it’s sticky. Thismakes working with it with bare hands difficult. It is also too thick to pour intomolds. And it’s not really possible to squeeze directly onto the surface ofchoice (neoprene in my case), because I wanted to mix it with glitter and paintand stuffs. So I figured out a method, which it to pipe out individual scaleslike icing. I got disposable icing bags and metal tips in different shapes andsizes. I liked the result I got from large, round tips held at a steep angle tothe surface.

I will post pictures of each thing as soon as I can hunt down my testscraps and upload them.

So excited! Instead of just painting my tail I may do this.
Have you been able to swim in the tail since you put the silicone scales on it on?

MerAnthony
03-08-2013, 10:34 AM
I have used Liquid Nails Clear Seal 5.5 oz. tube. It says that it can be used on Aquariums an a ton of other stuff. I paid $3.00 and change for it at a local wal-mart. I used it to make side fins like winged made. The only draw back is that the stuff is really sticky stuff.

angie
03-10-2013, 09:22 AM
So excited! Instead of just painting my tail I may do this.
Have you been able to swim in the tail since you put the silicone scales on it on?

Sadly, no. I went to the pool to test my monofin, and brought the scraps along. They he'd up wonderfully to a soaking in cholorine, but that's not the same as being under the stess and flexibility requires for a tail. Sadly, I don't yet have my neoprene to make my tail. I don't want to put the scales on a spandex tail because it stretches out so fast. It would be a lont of time and effort into something that might only last a few swims. (I was a swimmer for 5 years, I know how fast it wears out, for me at least.) And the neoprene is expendive.

angie
03-10-2013, 09:29 AM
This is one pic of my large test sheet. Ill post some close ups and explain what was mixed with each one.

angie
03-11-2013, 08:32 PM
This is a view of the whole est scrap. The scales are TINY! Its more of a beaded texture for some of them, others are spiky, some have a more scaled texture

angie
03-11-2013, 08:36 PM
This was mixed with glitter glue, of all things. Te glue turned the silicone opaque-ish, and it had orange/copper glitter in it. I like hows its almot skin tone.

Kanti
03-11-2013, 08:40 PM
Technically you can.
Aquarium grade silicones are platinum essentially since they have to be safe for the fish, or at leas that's what I remember reading when I was looking into this a while ago while I was still attempting to make a caulking tail. They're higher grade but usually they do cost a lot.
I'd never found very large tubes of them and it was essentially as expensive as buying a gallon of regular silicone.

angie
03-11-2013, 08:46 PM
This was mixed with glitter glue, of all things. The glue turned the silicone opaque-ish, and it had orange/copper glitter in it. I like hows its almost skin tone.

angie
03-11-2013, 10:38 PM
on the one above, th green is mixed with green acrylic paint and gold glitter. I like how the glitter is more subtle, and the color is strong. The ones around it are clear silicone with silver/holographic glitter mixed in. The blue shade comes from the blue acrylic paint i painted on the neoprene before hand to see how the color shows through.

Mermaid Marissa
03-13-2013, 09:06 PM
My tail is already made from latex (Fish Butts/Mermaid Parties) and I want to paint it over. Would using silicone work?

Mermaid Tula
03-13-2013, 09:48 PM
I don't think silicone over latex cures at all

Elle
03-14-2013, 01:48 AM
yeah, I think it makes it all turn to a big goopy mess

Kanti
03-14-2013, 02:20 AM
TIN cure silicone can cure with latex, not platinum. So it depends on what type.
Caulking has tin cure in it, Dragonskin is platinum cure.

MerCat
03-14-2013, 05:23 PM
TIN cure silicone can cure with latex, not platinum. So it depends on what type.
Caulking has tin cure in it, Dragonskin is platinum cure.

I tried to click on the link to your etsy site, but it says that it's temporarily down :(

Mermaid Marissa
03-14-2013, 06:09 PM
I don't think silicone over latex cures at all

grrr where can I find tin cure latex? Or is there something else I can do?

Mertara
03-21-2013, 09:00 AM

I love this method! I already have a mold I made for a costume for my tail fluke if I decide to make a silicone tail....but I know I won't have time to sculpt a full silicone tail, let alone afford all the silicone to pour one, so I was going to make a lycra or neoprene one first. I don't know if silicone will stick to lycra but I can't wait to try! This methods to make individual scales will produce a look that I think I will like very much, and I love the idea of gradient dyeing my fabric and then clear or lightly tinted scales over it. This might be a cheaper way to produce milti colored tails or tails with highlights and lowlights. Thanks for the creative fuel!

angie
04-03-2013, 02:13 PM
I found my original test scrap! It is completely clear with no paint or glitter mixed in, although I did paint the fabric backing of the neoprene underneath of it. I took a picture of it with a penny so you could see how small the scales are. I noticed my other pictures didn't give a sense of "scale" haha. They are really pebbly.

Mertara
04-03-2013, 02:30 PM
oooooh I am SO in love with this test! That's exactly how I want my tail to look! I was planning on doing a patterned gradient dye on the fabric and then clear or slightly tinted silicone scales over it! LOVE! This looks so gorgeous and realistic!

Mer_Adella
04-03-2013, 02:39 PM
I like this idea considering that I was just looking for a way to make an inexpensive top but still had the silicone scaled look. Thanks you guys and gals

orca
04-04-2013, 12:53 AM
aqarium silicon is crap i take
RTV Addition Platinum Cure Silicone Moulding Rubber Food & Skin Safe 2kg kitits the best and on the end i have on full silicone tail under 400£

angie
04-11-2013, 06:48 PM
oooooh I am SO in love with this test! That's exactly how I want my tail to look! I was planning on doing a patterned gradient dye on the fabric and then clear or slightly tinted silicone scales over it! LOVE! This looks so gorgeous and realistic!

YAY! I am so glad that people like this! Please let me know how it turns out, I would love to see your results!

Usagi
04-11-2013, 07:12 PM
http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?BrandID=12&SubcatID=3

Is something like this safe to use? It's one of their "Green" products

angie
04-21-2013, 08:24 PM
http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?BrandID=12&SubcatID=3

Is something like this safe to use? It's one of their "Green" products

It says it contains ALEX PLUS, or is ALEX PLUS? Either way, it probably isn't the higher grade silicon. It also says its mold and mildew resistant. That probably means it has nasty chemicles in it to kill off mold and mildew. I'm no expert, but even though it says its green doesn't mean it is designed to hold up to continuous water exposure without releasing toxins. Green might mean it doesn't release nasty/dangerous fumes as it cures? That's just a guess though.

angie
04-21-2013, 08:36 PM
I found a website for large amounts of aqarium sealent. I didn't ask for a quote, but its probably cheeper then buying a bunch of small tubes at retail prices.
http://www.americansealantsinc.com/asi-aquarium-sealant/
If anyone wants to look into this, please let me know what their prices are like. :)

Ashe
05-10-2013, 08:50 PM
I'd love to bring this thread back from the dead if that is alright ;) I am highly interested in this silicone for using on my partial silicone tail I am going to make. I just sent the company an email asking about durability and explained what it was going to be used for. I will post the reply once I get one back :)

Mermaid Nerinae
05-11-2013, 05:32 AM
And it lives! Breathe new life, thread!

Let us know how it goes, Kalani! I'm very veeerrry interested in this. I just bought the materials to extend my monofin, and I'd love to paint my color pattern onto my neoprene tail and cover it with some clear silicon scales so it shows through.

Mer_Adella
05-11-2013, 10:36 AM
Be careful tho. I had clear silicone an it dried white bcus there was too much silicone at once. So just beware

Ashe
05-11-2013, 11:54 AM
Be careful tho. I had clear silicone an it dried white bcus there was too much silicone at once. So just beware
I will, thank you :) I have done tests on bits of scrap neoprene with different types of silicones, and the same thing happened when I put too much on. I plan on layering on just a very thin film of the silicone over the neoprene, enough to cover the paint and to be able to make imprinted scales. No reply yet though :/
(sorry if i'm stealing the thread :p)

angie
05-26-2013, 08:32 PM
I will, thank you :) I have done tests on bits of scrap neoprene with different types of silicons, and the same thing happened when I put too much on. I plan on layering on just a very thin film of the silicone over the neoprene, enough to cover the paint and to be able to make imprinted scales. No reply yet though :/
(sorry if i'm stealing the thread :p)

I love having this thread revived! THANK YOU MERS!! <3 <3 <3
I can only test so much, having other people share results of their testings is a wonderful way to elicit-- I mean gain more information about this idea I had.

I did notice that the thicker the silicone was, the more milky it got. That was one of the reasons to add glitter or acrylic paint. If its got acrylic in it, the milky-ness doesn't matter, and the glitter distracts from it. Alternately, if someone made a pearly white or cream or silver tail, I don't think it would matter either. Also, the great thing about piping out the scales to give the texture is that you can decide how think they are, just make them as thin as possible to minimize the whiteness.

Mermaid Nerinae
05-27-2013, 03:50 AM
I love having this thread revived! THANK YOU MERS!! <3 <3 <3
I can only test so much, having other people share results of their testings is a wonderful way to elicit-- I mean gain more information about this idea I had.

I did notice that the thicker the silicone was, the more milky it got. That was one of the reasons to add glitter or acrylic paint. If its got acrylic in it, the milky-ness doesn't matter, and the glitter distracts from it. Alternately, if someone made a pearly white or cream or silver tail, I don't think it would matter either. Also, the great thing about piping out the scales to give the texture is that you can decide how think they are, just make them as thin as possible to minimize the whiteness.

I know for sure I'm doing my tail with really dark, saturated colors (the rest is a creamy white color) so that when I, eventually, put the silicone over the top, it wouldn't have too much of an effect.

Ashe
05-30-2013, 10:10 PM
UPDATE!! Ok, so I got a reply back and... I accidentally deleted it *facepalm to the max* But I do remember them saying that it should work to my requirements. Unfortunately, it seemed to be a very general response, but I may be wrong.

Anyways, I asked for a quote (two cartridges of 10.2 oz bottles) and I'm waiting for a response soon. :D

Mermaid Nerinae
05-31-2013, 12:16 AM
Anyways, I asked for a quote (two cartridges of 10.2 oz bottles) and I'm waiting for a response soon. :D

Oooh let us know! I'm VERY interested!

Atlantis
07-15-2013, 08:39 PM
I just compared prices and here is what I found:

Alex Plus $.30 oz @ est 5 gallons (128 oz in a gal)= $192 Affordable, but not safe for you or fish =(

DAP aquarium silicone caulking $3.00 oz @ est 5 gallons =$1,920!!! too much!

Dragonskin Silicone (buy in the gal size) $1.50 oz (or $2/oz in "trail size") @ est 5 gallons= $920

I am looking into making a 'smooth' tail, that is, no scale texture. This could bring me down to hopefully 3 gallons. That would be $552, not cheap but easier to save up. I'm doing some scrap tests now, cross your fins for me!

angie
07-31-2013, 06:57 PM
Good luck! I can't wait to see how you guys do. Also, for the amount estimate, keep in mind that you would use much less silicone then required for a full silicone tail, and even thinner than the partial silicone tails I have seen.