PDA

View Full Version : Coming Soon: GLOW IN THE DARK Tails

Merrow Fair Isle
12-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Saw this on Mike's FB page and thought I would share. Looks really fun!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=456362454400550&set=a.267267049976759.56916.184952671541531&type=1&relevant_count=1

Gem Stone
12-08-2012, 10:20 PM
I think it's an awesome idea. I can't wait to see what they look like

Mermaid Danielle
12-08-2012, 10:24 PM
SO COOL! Thanks for sharing!

AniaR
12-08-2012, 11:17 PM
My tail glows, I've just never gotten any photos of it. Raven's greenish one does too :) I think glowing tails are the wave of the future ;)

telzey.amberdon
12-08-2012, 11:22 PM
Somehow I don't think NH is ready for me to glow in the dark.

Mermaid Kalliope
12-09-2012, 12:15 AM
Whoa! That'll be cool! Hey, we need to see pictures of glowing tails! I'd love to have a glowing tail at some point.

Prince Calypso
12-09-2012, 12:23 AM
I got excited when i saw glow in the dark tails but then i saw Fliptails and the excitement just deflated.
as much as i would love to own one of Mike's glow in the dark tail I'm sure they are going to be just as expensive as the other if not more and it will be just as hard to get a hold of him with offer three digits after the period
so yeah it is epic that mike is creating glow in the dark tails but am i jumping up and down over something i will never be able to afford? no.

Mermaid Kassandra
12-09-2012, 03:08 AM
I can't wait to see them!
I wish my second tail would be one of those :) but I'm still working on my first tail so I think this must wait......
Anyway I love Mike works of art <3

Blondie
12-09-2012, 03:55 AM
I hate to be the odd person out but... Why does glow in the dark really matter? It's not like most of us are swimming at night anyways.

I mean it's really cool and all! I just think it serves little point...

Merrow Fair Isle
12-09-2012, 04:21 AM
I agree to an extent , iblondie. But it's still neat...just think outside of the box : black light pool lamps! * laughs*

Usagi
12-09-2012, 04:29 AM
For those that perform at hotels and such maybe? If it's at night, they could shut off the pool lights and have just enough lighting outside the pool for people to be able to see where they're walking and who they're talking to and for the mers to make sure they're not about to hit the wall or something. And they could always say they went through a large group of plankton, or whatever it is that glows! I can't remember

Sammi Ray
12-09-2012, 05:27 AM
Its not something i would personally buy or want (but each to there own) . I wonder how much they would be? :-/

Nemefish
12-09-2012, 05:34 AM
ME.... WANT @.@ !

Mermaid Kalliope
12-09-2012, 06:07 AM
I know that, personally, I like to swim at night a lot. (Less people cluttering up the large swimming area) Also, when I go to conventions, the hotels have pools. I try to swim all day, with a meal break, then I take some time to dry and rest up, but then I like to jump back in at night. So, it'd be cool for the con-goers to see a glowing mermaid!

Mermaid Miel
12-09-2012, 07:10 AM
For those that perform at hotels and such maybe? If it's at night, they could shut off the pool lights and have just enough lighting outside the pool for people to be able to see where they're walking and who they're talking to and for the mers to make sure they're not about to hit the wall or something. And they could always say they went through a large group of plankton, or whatever it is that glows! I can't remember

You are correct! The nouns are Bioluminescent Plankton.

Blondie
12-09-2012, 06:25 PM
That's a great point. I guess it serves a purpose if you're a night performer.

I just think if it's overpriced it's kinda a kick in the pocketbook, you know?

AniaR
12-09-2012, 08:13 PM
well when it really comes down to it, and I don't say this to cause drama, just pointing it out, he did publicly state a few times he only takes orders from specific people.

SeaGlass Siren
12-09-2012, 08:14 PM
Mer-gusta.

Mizuko
12-09-2012, 09:13 PM
Sooo cool!! XD I could imagine at night time mers swimming in these tails under blue-lights, with glow-in-the-dark body paint on their faces/bodies in pretty designs. *dreams*

lynsea
12-10-2012, 01:24 AM
Given that Hannah is a recent customer of his and the fact that she seems really psyched about this particular type of tail, I bet she ends up with a full MVD glow in the dark tail soon. I'm gonna call it now.

Mer_Adella
12-10-2012, 08:35 AM
I think its a good idea (and you know that other tail makers will figure it out at some point and start making them). I'm half and half right now. I think it would be cool to own one that glows in the dark but then again, I don't exactly have the need for one. Like someone said earlier it can't be totally dark because we would hit walls etc if we couldn't see. And yes they are going to be pricey.

I like the idea better of having a necklace or an orb or something for pictures that glows. I like the idea of having a picture taken under water of a mermaid having a glowing orb in her hands and staring into it. That would be really cool.

AniaR
12-10-2012, 11:02 AM
Given that Hannah is a recent customer of his and the fact that she seems really psyched about this particular type of tail, I bet she ends up with a full MVD glow in the dark tail soon. I'm gonna call it now.

She made her tail, he just made a silicone dorsal fringe to go with it. I think there was a lot of confusion when she posted it.

and you know that other tail makers will figure it out at some point and start making them)

Other tail makers already have, for a while. It isn't anything revolutionary in my opinion, simply because the pigment companies have been selling the stuff all along.

And yes they are going to be pricey.

They shouldn't be. The glow-in-the dark pigments don't cost any different than the regular pigment. It's just like a colour choice.

Mer_Adella
12-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Oh i am sorry raina. I figured that it would have been a special pigmant that would make it glow. I know that you can get the "puffy" paint that glows at walmart but I didn't think that it was relatively the same price as far as what MVD would be using...lol can you imagine him going to walmart and dumping all the GITD puffy paint into a cart? lol

Mermaid Saphira
12-10-2012, 11:25 AM
OMG! So awesome! I want a glow in the dark tail! Night swimming!! lol :Yay:

AniaR
12-10-2012, 11:36 AM
Well it's not a wallmart thing, but here's a few examples:

http://www.glonation.com/?gclid=CJGGm9ahkLQCFcxAMgod6h0AvA

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GLOW-IN-THE-DARK-PAINT-PIGMENT-POWDER-COATING-mix-in-latex-varnish-plastic-etc-/120787352157

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Glow-in-the-dark-pigment-powder-Blue-glow-powder-/120693789274

http://www.formx.eu/products/silicone-paintspigments/siltoneflock/index.php (specifically used for pigmenting silicone)

http://www.sculpt.com/catalog_98/SPFX/FuseFX.htm (specifically for platinum silicone)

http://www.artmolds.com/category104.cfm (specifically for silicone)

As you can see, prices range from 5-20$ a container depending on the manufacture, and up to 40$ for extra large containers (which would probably be more what would be used on a tail, 1-2 of them per colour). So it really shouldn't affect the price on tails in my opinion. Perhaps a tiny nominal fee.

Sammi Ray
12-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Shall have to see the finished product in all its splender really.

Mermaid Star
12-10-2012, 09:26 PM
That is actually pretty easy to do as long as you are painting your tail. I know that you can get Glow in the dark fluid/paint that you can mix into your silicone to make this happen. Perhaps I will add this to my silicone tail when I finally make it. I had a need for it during my first water gig. It was at night and they had to add lights on surf boards for people to see that we were mermaids in the pool. A glow in the dark tail would have been perfect for this gig!

lynsea
12-10-2012, 09:37 PM
Oh, I know Hannah made her sequin tail. I just think she might be in to collaborating on a different type (aka, silicone) tail and MVD would be the person to go with.

spottedcatfish
12-11-2012, 12:32 AM
Mer-gusta.

MUY MUY Mer Gusta!!

Dee Tal
12-11-2012, 09:23 AM
I just wanted to mention that glow-in-the-dark these days may not be what you were around growing up (glowing ceiling stars etc). I do not know know what type the tailmaker on the original post is using (and I would recommend asking before ordering), but this new glow-in-the-dark material is based on strontium aluminate and is about 10x brighter and longer lasting (also about 10x more expensive).

I made a "mer lantern" with glowing rocks out of styrofoam painted with this stuff (from glonation) and they glow all night long.

Mermaid Kalliope
12-13-2012, 05:34 AM
well when it really comes down to it, and I don't say this to cause drama, just pointing it out, he did publicly state a few times he only takes orders from specific people.

^ Meaning that he has a specific customer pool? Or what? Because I'm surely hoping that I can get a tail from him in the future!

AniaR
12-13-2012, 05:47 AM
Meaning that he has a specific customer pool? Or what? Because I'm surely hoping that I can get a tail from him in the future!

Essentially yeah, there was a bit of a thing about it on FB which turned into a thread on here as well. I was ignored when I had cash and he was taking orders again. So were several others, so someone point blank asked him on his page and he made a statement about it. I'm not sure if he's STILL that way, even if he's not I think he still takes on tails very selectively 1 at a time or so cuz he has a full time job and school as well.

MerEmma
12-13-2012, 08:56 AM
"mike you should be awarded a noble piece prize for the mermaid tails!!"

Hehe...comments.

Anyway, I think that the swatches look REALLY cool and I would love to see more. I can't wait.

Mermaid Margarete
12-20-2012, 03:30 PM
Neat! I think it would be cool to have a few random glow in the dark scales on your tail, but I'm not sure if I'd want a full glow in the dark one... unless I was doing a cyber-goth mermaid... Oh wait! That would be kind of cool >.>

Aino Revontuletar
01-31-2013, 02:39 AM
:jawdrop: WOW!!! I need a glowing tail in my life!!! that would be the most amazing thing ever! I really hope to be able to make myself a silicone-type tail, and having it glow would just make it even more awesome. I bet it would be really costly though :(

drucilla
01-31-2013, 02:47 AM
I believe he has more pics of it on his facebook now. :)

Aino Revontuletar
01-31-2013, 03:22 AM
Oh my goodness, I am going to look now! I do so love his work! My hair glows too (blacklight reactive hair dye :D ) it would be amazing to have a tail to match, although if it is blacklight reactive it wouldn't be much use without blacklights, but the house I am living in at the moment has a pool out the back, so maybe I could somehow get blacklight lamps or something put out there. I wonder where he gets his glowing pigments from? If I do eventually end up making myself a silicone tail like I want to I would love to get mine to glow, so long as it wouldn't be outrageously expensive, since making a silicone tail would already be outrageously expensive and much more than I could realistically afford at the moment (time to save up!)

drucilla
01-31-2013, 03:49 AM
Yea I'm saving up to buy a silicone tail, I would love a glow in the dark one if it wouldnt affect the colors I picked out for my tail. I've seen a lot of glow in the dark stuff that glows really well but in the light it's an awkward color...

Aino Revontuletar
01-31-2013, 04:02 AM
Yeah you are right about that, but I just looked on his facebook page and his UV reactive tails look amazing in the light :D You could always just have a tail that glows in parts too, that would be cool too. Are you going to make one or buy one? I am thinking I am going to try and make one, as there would be no way I would ever be able to afford to buy one, and plus it would be amazing to have one I made by myself, something I could be really proud of

drucilla
01-31-2013, 04:08 AM
That's a good idea about only glowing in parts I like it. :) Buy, there is no way I could ever make one. lol It may take me forever to save up enough but atleast that will give me plenty of time to perfect my design. :D lol

Aino Revontuletar
01-31-2013, 04:27 AM
I think I actually like the idea of having it glow in parts better than having a fully glow tail :D And yeah I know what you mean, the process of making one seems awfully complicated, and I have never done anything like this before, but I really think it is worth a try at least. Even if I fail miserably at least it will be an experience that I will no doubt learn a lot from

drucilla
01-31-2013, 04:32 AM
Well good luck. :) If you have a knack for it you could always start your own business lol

Aino Revontuletar
01-31-2013, 04:40 AM
Yeah who knows! I don't know if I have the space to do all that much tail making though, but if I end up being good at it I'm sure I might be able to take a few commissions here and there. I'm relying on my general artistic talent to get me through this overly ambitious undertaking. Artsy stuff is the one thing I am actually good at so here's hoping

seagirls626
01-31-2013, 04:42 AM
Wow! So coral!

drucilla
01-31-2013, 04:53 AM
Definitely posts some pic's when you're done. :D

Aino Revontuletar
01-31-2013, 04:59 AM
I am going to do a tailmaking journey posts with lots of pics and stuff of how I made it and everything once I get started. Of course this idea is only a few days old but I am really excited to try it :D

drucilla
01-31-2013, 05:06 AM
I'm excited to see it! :D Good luck I'm sure you'll do well, I believe there's lots of posts about how to do it on here too.

Aino Revontuletar
01-31-2013, 05:15 AM
Yes I have been reading about it pretty much non-stop over the past three days :lol: I think it is doable, as it doesn't seem to require any insane industrial equipment costing thousands of dollars or anything like that. So it is kind of semi-within reach, hahaha

Delphine
02-19-2013, 11:33 AM
Well it's not a wallmart thing, but here's a few examples:

http://www.glonation.com/?gclid=CJGGm9ahkLQCFcxAMgod6h0AvA

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GLOW-IN-THE-DARK-PAINT-PIGMENT-POWDER-COATING-mix-in-latex-varnish-plastic-etc-/120787352157

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Glow-in-the-dark-pigment-powder-Blue-glow-powder-/120693789274

http://www.formx.eu/products/silicone-paintspigments/siltoneflock/index.php (specifically used for pigmenting silicone)

http://www.sculpt.com/catalog_98/SPFX/FuseFX.htm (specifically for platinum silicone)

http://www.artmolds.com/category104.cfm (specifically for silicone)

As you can see, prices range from 5-20$ a container depending on the manufacture, and up to 40$ for extra large containers (which would probably be more what would be used on a tail, 1-2 of them per colour). So it really shouldn't affect the price on tails in my opinion. Perhaps a tiny nominal fee.

Raina, I'm looking into pigmenting glow-marks on the Delphine tail so it looks more like an opal. Shimmer pearl base with opalescence, like these little guys:

THANK YOU for sharing this! Before I only had 1 place, so now I have more pigmentation options. Phew!

Mermaid Dottie
02-19-2013, 02:00 PM
my tail has glow-in-the-dark spots. ^_^

MermaidBrittany
02-19-2013, 06:19 PM
my tail has glow-in-the-dark spots. ^_^

Thats cool! :D do you have pics?

Aino Revontuletar
02-20-2013, 05:44 AM
I wanna see! I am making mine with glowing parts too ^_^

Delphine
02-20-2013, 05:13 PM
Mermaid Dottie, I concur with the others! Do you have photos?! My glow spots will be splotchy-looking, to resemble the flashes of opal. I'd love to see your tail! ^__^

mermaidsoph
09-20-2013, 11:00 PM
OMG i could be like.. a radioactive fish!!!