PDA

View Full Version : Wanting A Realistic Tail?

AnnaAbyss
12-09-2012, 04:35 AM
I suppose you could call me a 'closet mer' or whatever, but since June this year I've been mad about mermaids. I don't have a tail yet but I really want a realistic one and preferably not a fabric one...I know that sounds pretty arrogant. I've been looking at people's pictures of tails for hours on end and get so jealous. Especially of MVD's and Mermaid Raven's xD. I know we all want one :/. I've asked my parents A LOT and they say no. My Mum is reasonably supportive but is kind of unsure as well. I sometimes dream about them and consider myself lucky when I've had a mermaid dream! Bahaha XD.
The thing is, I have the money (and it's mine) but I'm not allowed to buy one. I'm aware I sound like such a spoiled brat, but I've never wanted anything so badly in my life. What should I do (or is this too much of a ridiculous 'question' to ask)?

Usagi
12-09-2012, 04:47 AM
Well I know I'm no expert or anything, but I think if you know to sew you should make your own fabric tail. I think it's something to be proud of. :) also, it gives you something to practice with and strengthen your core. Swimming in a tail can take some getting used to for some people. Then imagine it being your first swim in a tail that's tighter. But like I said, I'm no expert here. Others would know a lot more than me. It was just my personal opinion. :

Blondie
12-09-2012, 04:49 AM
How old are you? Are you 18? Then you can just buy it and your parents will have to deal with it.

When I finally got the money for my Fish Butt I was SO excited for almost a year on end about mermaids. I was finally serious about getting a real tail. And after I got it and swam in it. I kind was like "Well.. That's it." The novelty wears off. I was so hellbent on getting a Fish Butt then getting a really realistic tail later. But then I realized that that money could be used toward other things I need. And in my opinion. It's not worth the money if you're going to just swim in it for your own fun. That is just my opinion though.

I might sound a little crazy but if you're under 18 and you want a really realistic tail. Just wait a few more months. I didn't realize how much money I needed to support myself until I was out of high school that summer. I mean get a tail. It's a hell of an experience. I love my Fish Butt to death. But I would suggest getting a lower end cost tail and starting off in that. Then graduate on into a super realistic tail you can appreciate. And if you buy a cheaper tail from the start and realize it's not that big of a need for you, then you'd save yourself a huge hunk of cash.

Mermaid Miel
12-09-2012, 07:26 AM
I badly wanted a mermaid tail from the first time I saw a fabric one for sale. However I was unemployed and $250 was way too much to spend on a tail when I did not even know if this was just a costume, or a new obsession.

I searched for a way, and with help from some teachers, sewed my first fabric tail for $100. (each tailskin after that cost me $30-$50.)

My Advice:
Look for a way to make your first tail. It's then more personal and cheaper.
If you really want a realistic tail, start by sewing and painting a neoprene tail then you can look into how to add silicone/latex scales on top.
There are a ton of tutorials here on MerNetwork And many experienced Tail-crafters ready to help!

If you are still in High School, make it a Art/Craft Project with support from your teachers. That way your Mum would have to support you as you will be not only be getting a Tail but also getting higher grades!

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
12-09-2012, 10:14 AM
I also want a tail, but at the same time, I really want to save up. Keep in mind that they (and therefore you) can do some really amazing things with different kinds of fabric, and that making your own tail is likely to be cheaper (not the least because you won't need to pay for shipping... ewwww). Do you have a monofin? Getting one could help stave off your tail-envy and let you practice swimming with that kind of fin.

Mermaid Cascada
12-09-2012, 01:14 PM
I also wanted a realistic tail so I asked my mom if she would get me one and we looked up the price and.... $400- $6000!!! After seeing those prices she said no. Lol :lol: Sooo... I decided I was going to make myself a latex tail (Which was still going to be really expensive) So I asked my mom if I could take a babysitting class (Last summer when I was 13) and she agreed. I took the class ad I started babysitting for $5 an hour. Over the summer and to the current date I have saved up about $350 for my tail and I will begin constructing it this summer. Making a tail is hard work and I would prefer to buy one but they're really expensive... so I would suggest asking your mom if you can make your own.

AnnaAbyss
12-09-2012, 07:16 PM
Thanks :) I use flippers when I go swimming xD Fail... But they make you go so much faster, and it's the closest thing I have to a tail. I suppose I could just buy a magictail, heh.

AnnaAbyss
12-09-2012, 07:19 PM
Thank you :D No, I'm 15. Sadly.. :/