PDA

View Full Version : The Mertailor

Alexandria LaNier
08-09-2011, 01:36 AM
My name is Alexandria LaNier I am a professional award winning costume designer.
On occasion I work with fellow specialty costume artists. I recently purchased a
mermaid tail from The Mertailor and I’m quite happy to share my experience.
First off I want to make a special note that whenever I work
with fellow artists I always show them complete respect for their art and
craft. There are so few artists that have the natural gifted talent to create these masterpieces and I do
sincerely appreciate the opportunity to be able to work with them. I should
also tell you that I have extremely high standards when purchasing
costumes. I will not make or purchase
cheap product. Now onto the
tail... I paid $2,000 for my Silicone Mermaid Tail and have to say at first sight my immediate response was that I
practically stole it from The Mertailor. In my professional opinion the quality of my tail is superb in every way
and should be sold for $7,000 to 10,000. Why? First off, the overall design
is exactly what you would expect a mermaid tail to look like. The blending of colors infused into the tail
create such a magnificent realistic appearance one would almost believe it is
the real thing. The durability is evident by simply handling the product. This tail will without a doubt hold up to the most rigorous of
situations which is exactly what I would expect. I purchased my tail to fit several different
body styles and I have no doubt that it will fit every one of them like a glove.

What I have experienced from other mermaid tail artists in
the past was never this good. Not even close. I would happily refer anyone to
the The MerTailor and be completely confident that they will be overjoyed with
their finished product.

Blessings!
Alexandria LaNier

Kanti
08-09-2011, 02:19 AM
Oooo :o
Nice review, I'm happy for you that it turned out to be a good tail~
The pictures he has of the silicone tails on his website are very stunning, especially the one with the green, gold, and blue coloring.
I just have a quick question, what do you mean by "I purchased my tail to fit several different body styles?"
I thought the silicone tails were only made to fit one body and that you had to go in personally to get your legs cast in a mold
so the tail can fit perfectly? Sorry, I just don't understand the whole "full silicone" tails. Especially since he has a measurement
chart set up on his order form for a pure silicone tail.

How long did it take him to make it for you? Did you ever go in for a live-cast of your legs?
And do you have any pictures??? <333 :')
Sorry to bombard you with questions xD

MermaidSaku
08-09-2011, 02:41 AM
silicone streches quite a bit Kanti. You can make it thin to move and shape over what you like or make it really thick so that it's tight and only fits you. Which is why plastic surgeons can make implants hard or soft.

AniaR
08-09-2011, 08:15 AM
Im happy you had a good experience. We always appreciate as many details as possible with reviews as well as photos if you have them- it helps other people who are planning on buying and are scoping out reviews to have as much info and visual as possible. Love to see you in your new tail, and welcome to the forums. Make sure you post an introduction thread too!

Spindrift
08-09-2011, 10:54 AM
What other tail makers have you purchased from before, if I may ask?

MermaidAubrin
08-09-2011, 11:20 AM
Glad it worked out for you do you have any pictures I'd love to see ^-^

Alexandria LaNier
08-09-2011, 01:45 PM
I think I should give you a good example of the tails I have worked with in the past from other tail tailors. I'm not going to mention names, but I will point out a few things to look for now that I have had experience with this type of costume. First off the side slit or slit in the tail is really a pain because no matter what the tail will need to be Photoshopped. Don't go cheap! You get what you pay for. Do it right the first time and you won't have to do it again. So, yes, go for the highest quality possible. I purchased a fabric tail from another tail tailor years ago and found it to be nothing like what I had imagined. We do tend to fantasize when purchasing costumes, but this is really the one time that we need to take the fantasy goggles off and take a really good look at the product we are about to invest in. After being a photographer for almost 10 years now working with costumes I can pretty much find any flaws in a costume right away. The reason is, if I don't find the flaws right away they will show up in the photographs and I will have to spend time editing them in Photoshop. As much as I love Photoshop, I would way rather spend the time turning a photograph into art then hours cleaning up mistakes on a costume. So, once again, go for the highest quality it's always better in the long run.

How it fits:
One of the great things about the Mertailor is the designer, Erik, actually swims in his tails, so he does know how they should fit and how they look best. He's been making tails for some time now and has made them for many professional productions. This, I'm sure many of you are aware of, but probably don't realize he's making them for all kinds of body types too. Many productions have to switch performers, so the tails cannot be made to fit just one person. There has to be a universal size. Not only for production, but for photography, otherwise photographers and production companies would have to buy several different costumes and that's not going to happen. So, someone like me would come in and request a universal size. I requested a tail to fit models anywhere from 5'4 on up to 5'8, I typically don't use models taller because of wardrobe sizing. Of course Erik would be best at explaining his product to you so feel free to send an email with further questions.

Turn around time: This is really very important subject and I'm glad you asked about it. Like I said earlier, I do work with other costume designers. I have to tell you right out of the gate, quality costumes take time to make. This is the one time you’re going to just have to be patient and allow a good amount of time for your product to be made. I know it's hard and you’re excited, but you’re going to have to bite the bullet and wait it out. Don't call or send nasty emails. It's not going to get you anything but a refund. Don't slander the designer all over the internet because you failed to do your homework and you’re impatient. All professionals in the industry know that quality workmanship takes time. When I decide to have a costume made I usually order it four to six months in advance. I don't know what it is about professional costumers, but it seems every single artist that I work with runs on the same schedule. If you can get it quicker consider yourself lucky. In a perfect world there would be professional costume designers on every corner. Unfortunately they are specialized and we are extremely lucky to even have them available, so please don't scare them away by being rude or disrespectful. Remember this is not personal; this is a business transaction, so remember to conduct yourself professionally when dealing with these artists.

Final note: In order to protect my work from copyright infringement I don't share images freely on the internet. You can find my work at www.AlexandriaLaNier.net and flickr.com
I specialize in all types of fantasy from fairies, Alice in Wonderland, The Wizard of Oz, witches, (Mermaids), and just about anything that captures my heart. Of course I do understand that every good fairytale has a tragedy or drama and without it there would be no story. Just please remember that this is really about having fun. Please help keep the spirit of what Fantasy is alive by being united.

Have a beautiful day under the sea!
Alexandria LaNier

Kanti
08-09-2011, 02:52 PM
Ohhh. That's interesting. I didn't know that you could have a silicone tail fit differently for several models. That's quite useful.
I suppose it wouldn't be as good to swim in, if you have it at that "universal" thing, though, because it wouldn't grab you tight
enough to prevent from falling off? I assume since you're using it for photoshoots, it doesn't really matter.

Also, I did look through you're entire website and flickr and I couldn't find a single photo of the tail. The only thing I found close
was "Fantasia" where a mermaid seems to be sleeping on the beach, but her tail is not in the shot. You should post the link
to the flickr images on the forum, that way we have to visit your website, therefore, it won't void your copyright :')
Don't mean to pry or anything, I just really love your photography~ It looks stunning, I would love to see your mermaid shoot~

As for the time it took, no offense, but it seems like you're accusing people of being impatient when their tails don't come in
on time. I completely agree, great works take time, and if you've been given an estimate of how long it will take then
you should be patient, but the problem is, the mertailor's website says his tails will be ready in 4-6 weeks (even on his silicone
tails), so if someone posts that, I assume they're going to honor it, anything else is false advertizing and the businessman
should very well know that. It's not people "not doing their homework" it's people being TOLD by the person they're ordering
from that they're going to get the tail in 4-6 weeks and then not getting it for 4 months. I'd say that's definitely not a case of
"being impatient" or "not doing you're homework" :'P
Another thing is, it's not slandering, it's stating a fact. When I do an amazon review and my item said it would take 3 weeks to
get here and it takes 3 MONTHS, then I give it a lower rating because of that and explain to anyone else in the reviews that
it is being falsely advertized and the time it takes to get there is very wrong.

I can only hope you don't think of me as rude, but honestly, from the way you automatically assumed that people complain
or slander the mertailor yet it's THEIR fault for "not doing their homework" is a VERY bold statement. It's also rude.
You're accusing people you don't even know of being impatient or ignorant on the topic of ordering tails.
Unless you work very closely with the mertailor, which from your review it seems the opposite, then I don't know why you
would say something like that. It seems very strange to write a review for other customers about a product and then bashing
the other customers for being impatient. I would only see this behavior happening if you were his assistant or the mertailor
himself. Other than that, I'm just going to assume that you haven't read very many reviews on his tails. The mertailor review
on this forum has a few incidents of people ordering tails and not getting anything close to what they paid for after it taking
MONTHS. I think that's enough reason to write a bad review or complain.

Like I said, I hope you take no offense, but I can't take this review too seriously. It's too biased.

Alexandria LaNier
08-09-2011, 03:25 PM
Dearest Kanti, I don't work for anyone but myself. I can see that you’re trying desperately to turn my words around, but it is what it is. You can attack him all you want no professional is going to take you seriously ever. I know you would love to scare him out of town and stop him from making tails. It's a shame you have so much anger and hatred in your heart. It's also a shame that you are trying to ruin it for so many others. I'm going to consider the source here. You’re a cyber-bully and not a good person. Simply put, the Mertailor makes great tails. I am an award winning costume designer that has been in the industry for almost 10 years. I am also a satisfied customer. And finally, I can't stand to see someone that loves what they do get bullied like this. And above all YOU should not be attacking the Mertailor's customers. I won't say any more on the subject, but you are treading in some seriously dangerous waters if you continue because he will have every opportunity to take you to court. Do not contact me again on the subject as there is nothing more to say.

Kanti
08-09-2011, 03:47 PM
When did I say I wanted mertailor to stop making tails?
When did I say people shouldn't order from him?
When did I say the mertailor was a bad person?
When did I want to run him out of town?

I see none of that in my previous post, because I never said any of it.
Ohhh it seems you're the professional when it comes to "turning things around" or putting words in my mouth :')

Also, how come you are taking it so personally? Didn't you just say that "Remember this is not personal; this is a business transaction, so remember to conduct yourself professionally when dealing with these artists." I was being quite professional about it. You are the one who turned around and is whining like a child now. I was merely stating that your review was just not very helpful because you were attacking people you didn't even know.

All I ever said was your review wasn't very good. I said the mertailor needs to be professional when it comes to making his tails on the time HE promises them. When I see a review I could care less about the artist as a person. The mertailor could be the nicest guy I ever meet or a huge jerk, it doesn't matter, I only care for the quality of his tails. And if so many people have shown bad reviews and stated he takes forever to finish/make them, then I'd have to go with what they say. You claim it's a great tail but I see no pictures of it.

And you seem to be getting very offended towards a review of a tail that isn't even yours. Suspicious....

AniaR
08-09-2011, 05:04 PM
the way to convince us the mertailor makes a great product is not to come in here and attack people who ask you questions. Im the biggest mertailor critic out there for good reason, and I'm quite happy to step back when someone else has had a good experience and celebrate with them. Because at the end of the day I want people to be able to live their mermaid/merman dream... and if they're able to do that with Eric and be happy- then I am happy for them. Despite seriously not respecting the guy for my own personal reasons, when someone like you comes in with a positive experience I'm not going to sit here and try to convince you otherwise. You're happy, I'm happy for you. That being said, no one here is twisting your words around and your tone is not appreciated. Kanti has simply questions for you and if you didnt all ready realize we have 2 guides for writing reviews we ask people to follow. The rules are here: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?258-Review-Rules and a guide to reviews are here: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?85-How-to-write-a-review

You've come in here very defensive from your first post, you havent even bothered to introduce yourself properly or get involved anywhere else in the forum. While Kanti wasnt around on meryuku when similar things were going on, I was, and I know Eric loved to use multiple accounts to post things about himself or get others to do just that. I'm not accusing you of that- but hopefully it'll explain why some people may be a little weary of your words considering some of the phrasing you're using and lack of activity anywhere else. I've seen Eric say exact word for word sentences you're saying, and make the exact same consistent spelling errors as well. Not an accusation, just a point... I'm even wondering if he's simply posing as you at this point... Calling someone a cyberbully? Really? Because they asked you questions you didn't like? Please. If you think that, then this is certainly not the right place for you.

Kanti's questions are valid, and instead of answering them, you're twisting things around and attacking her, that's not very fair for someone who is simply interested in learning more about your experience and it's very clear to everyone reading. Mertailor has a bad reputation on this forum- not just because he's wronged so many customers and caused a lot of drama, but because on our last forum he went as far as trying to have posts and threads removed to censor people. Perhaps you all ready know this and assume we wont give someone a chance to be happy about their tail in the forum, but as I all ready explained we're not like that he's just sort of a touchy subject with us all.

Now then, as far as your review... it's a bunch of praise. Which is fine. You dont have to be critical or negative, but a good reviews has the logistics like the questions Kanti has asked (if you looked at her activity you'd see she's been posting a lot trying to understand how silicone works) and photos.

The fact is, sizing has been a huge issue with Eric, so if you've had a good experience people need to know that to know he's getting better. Timing has been a huge issue with Eric- he promises things by a certain date and never follows through unless you're a celebrity it seems, so if you got your tail on time people need to know that- oh dragonskin takes so little time to dry I cant see why it takes 4-6 weeks. If your tail is amazingly beautiful, careful craftsmenship and everything you say then SHOW US PHOTOS because people need to see! People need to actually see these amazing tails and that people are getting what they want. if you truly believe in Eric and want to support him, I believe this is the best thing you can do for his business.

That being said, posting a photo here does not void copyright when done correctly. I have a whole thread about that too as someone who has also worked professionally in the modelling and photography industry for 10 years. I'm well aware of copyright.

The thing about this post, is I think it's 1 of 2 things going on. Either, this is Eric pretending to be someone either with or without permission to try and create some positive buzz (and yes, I know he does it, he's personally asked me to create positive buzz for him back on the old forum so this isnt some random cyber bully dream!) or you're someone who is relatively happy with his work and has only heard his one side of the story so you come in all defensive expecting that we wont be happy for you because you got the tail you wanted. You're telling us to email the guy if we have questions... and we're supposed to think you're just some random client who happens to like his work???

Finally, as a professional who also works in the youth at risk field please learn what cyberbullying actually is and perhaps consider your own actions. Here's a helpful link: http://www.stopcyberbullying.org/what_is_cyberbullying_exactly.html

I have no problem being happy for you if you got the tail you want and celebrating a new mer joining the community. However, I wont sit here while you bash the crap out of someone for asking you reasonable questions that you still havent answered despite all your praise and love for your tail and the artist.

edit: Im sorry, I just went back and looked through some of my old communications with Eric, seriously buddy, what are you doing? You think this is going to help you? it only makes things worse!!! If you want happy go lucky reviews, deliver on your products! Im sure Claudio will be thrilled to write you a new happy nice review when he receives his tail. You give us way too much power over you. I can even tell you wrote your posts in a doc first then copied and pasted! I mean really, should I get out the screen capping tool and point out how many of these sentences you've said on facebook all ready and with all your spelling errors??? who writes a review anyway about a product they havent even tried out yet. IP blockers, proxy... we're not dumb ;)

but you are treading in some seriously dangerous waters if you continue because he will have every opportunity to take you to court. Do not contact me again on the subject as there is nothing more to say. where have I read this exact sentence before? Oh hmm let me think. Are you going to take legal action against the forum Eric? Shall I explain to you yet again the difference between slander and facts? I dont know where you find all the time for this if you're spending all your time making tails. At least learn to troll right if you're going to do it. :\ I guess it's just one more thing to add to the ever growing list of mertilor drama. Sweety, you know identity theft is illegal right? So is IP fishing... No reviewer would suggest something be more expensive, only the tail maker does that, and no person would join the community who obviously has so much disdain for it and holds themselves so much higher than everyone else because they are a "professional".

AniaR
08-09-2011, 05:57 PM
For all those interested, here's a helpful internet piece about the differences between slander and free speech, and where each one applies:
http://www.bmartin.cc/dissent/documents/defamation.html

I'd like to quote this part specifically:

If someone sues you because you made a defamatory statement, you can defend your speech or writing on various grounds. There are three main types of defence:
* what you said was true;
* you had a duty to provide information;
* you were expressing an opinion.
For example:
* You can defend yourself on the grounds that what you said is true.
* If you have a duty to make a statement, you may be protected under the defence of "qualified privilege." For example, if you are a teacher and make a comment about a student to the student's parents -- for example, that the student has been naughty -- a defamation action can only succeed if they can prove you were malicious. You are not protected if you comment about the student in the media.
* If you are expressing an opinion, for example on a film or restaurant, then you may be protected by the defence of "comment" or "fair comment," if the facts in your statement were reasonably accurate.
* There is an extra defence if you are a parliamentarian and speak under parliamentary privilege, in which case your speech is protected by "absolute privilege," which is a complete defence in law. The same defence applies to anything you say in court.

Anyone who has concerns about slander charges can follow the advice written in this website under "Avoid Defamation" these points are also highlighted in the review tips thread I made. Also, check out the parts entitled "Call the bluff" and "use publicity"

Here's another quote about truth

The common law traditionally presumed that a statement was false once a plaintiff proved that the statement was defamatory. Under modern law, a plaintiff who is a public official or public figure must prove falsity as a prerequisite for recovery. Some states have likewise now provided that falsity is an element of defamation that any plaintiff must prove in order to recover. Where this is not a requirement, truth serves as an affirmative defence to an action for libel or slander.

A statement does not need to be literally true in order for this defence to be effective. Courts require that the statement is substantially true in order for the defence to apply. This means that even if the defendant states some facts that are false, if the “gist” or “sting” of the communication is substantially true, then the defendant can rely on the defence.
from http://libelandslander.uslegal.com/defenses/truth/

Go and google everything you can on libel, and slander, and defamation, you will see "truth" is the absolute defence.

So long as what you're saying here on the forum is the truth and you can prove it you have no worry of slander or defamation charges from the mertailor. When it comes to reviews, fair use also applies.

Mertailor needs to take some business courses, hire a PR person, and get a full time legal consultant. He can be charged with uttering threats at this rate. And as Orcamatt pointed out, should probably get familiar with the Streisand Effect http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

MermaidSaku
08-09-2011, 06:17 PM
I'm definitely with you on that one Raina, Kanti was only asking questions. Honestly Alexandria, If you got your tail and everything thing went fine that is wonderful. Please post pictures! I have been pondering who to buy a tail from, but since i can't get extra fins on a Mertailor tail. I have been looking hard for some where else to purchase or have one made. As for what is going on here. I have to admit that bashing people you don't know is sorta messed up when you don't know where they are coming from . I really think you should at least read into the forum a bit more or atleast get involved so you will understand Kanti and Raina a bit more. Although you are saying you got a great tail your being quite defensive and personal about it.I think your review would be more helpful for others if you posted pictures.

Mermaid Photine
08-09-2011, 06:31 PM
A good way to clear up the confusion would be to email the website and ask her (politely) about her mertailor tail.

By the way, what color is your tail? I might have accidentally skipped the line, but I didn't see what color it was. I love hearing about other people's tails, as I haven't yet made my own. :)

AniaR
08-09-2011, 06:45 PM
if Eric asked her if he could post it under her name, it wouldnt matter. But Eric was on mer yuku before posting photos of "himself (posing as a girl) in a tail and it was really just a random shot without a face. Im pretty sure this is him getting someone's permission to let him do that.

But sure, I'd love to see this tail.

MermaidAubrin
08-09-2011, 06:54 PM
Well said AniaR , Kanti was ask valid question and Alexandria twisted them and attacked her although I was not on the old forum I did read many reviews and people have repeated what they said on the old forum

Mermaid Star
08-09-2011, 07:03 PM
I sent a message to Alexandria on Facebook. I am waiting for a reply. I hope to have an answer soon. But I am with you Raina, this sounds just like Eric and is far too emotionally invested in this review than any normal customer would be. Very curious indeed. I will keep yall updated on what I hear back

Mermaid Star
08-09-2011, 07:10 PM
Also if someone where to purchase a tail for someone that was 5'8 (and fit them properly) and put it on someone who is 5'4 the tail would come up to their breasts. So it would either be too big for the shorter person or too short for someone taller. (like in mine and Linda's photos where our butts are coming out).

Mermaid Photine
08-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Perhaps the people she worked with were all of the same height, like how professional models are generally very, very tall and of similar build?

Mermaid Star
08-09-2011, 07:24 PM
She said she purchased it for models from 5'4-5'8

AniaR
08-09-2011, 07:32 PM
Also if someone where to purchase a tail for someone that was 5'8 (and fit them properly) and put it on someone who is 5'4 the tail would come up to their breasts. So it would either be too big for the shorter person or too short for someone taller. (like in mine and Linda's photos where our butts are coming out).
I am 5'8", when Raven took my tail to fix it for me she put it on Meshpa when it was finished and it went up to her boobs.

Perhaps the people she worked with were all of the same height, like how professional models are generally very, very tall and of similar build?
That's sort of an urban myth, if someone was employing a multitude of models they would have a variety of models not a bunch the same. I have done professional modelling (meaning been paid, been published!) for 7.5 years now and in the field for just about 10.

I realize to people who don't know Eric our responses are going to seem over the top. But I have every confidence this is his doing.

Star, it would be great for you to copy and paste your reply you get or screencap etc. But I still think he wouldnt be stupid enough to just steal someone's identity... he probably asked her permission to do it and got her to go over what he posted. I know it's been copy and pasted because of my editing training and I look for weird indentation as a sign of digital plagiarism. ;) She's more likely to admit if she knows uttering threats is generally a bad idea and not something she'd want attached to her name

Moonflower
08-09-2011, 07:36 PM
Forgive everyone for being so cynical, but you can understand where they are coming from, yes? We'd all love to believe that someone had a great experience with him, and maybe he is actually turning things around. I don't know, and no one else here knows either.
A real way to clear things up would be to post pictures of yourself in your tail. We'd all love to see them! Or, if you haven't had the chance to take pictures yet, perhaps some of you with the tail?

As one professional costumer to another, I know about risking your reputation, especially within a community of people that have so much pull over the business you are promoting. Just a few pictures of you could clear things up and set the record straight for all of us.

Mermaid Star
08-09-2011, 07:39 PM
Raina,

I will be sure to screen cap and attach it to a post here. If she says she gave permission, then I will send her a link to what she said. If she says she said it, I will post it here as well so that everyone will know what is up. :)

<3 Star

<3 you guys!

jukumerboii
08-09-2011, 07:42 PM
WOW..and this is why i LOVE me some MermaidRaina!!

AniaR
08-09-2011, 07:57 PM
I just wont believe it for a second if she says "no that's all me I wrote it" because I can literally screencap exact sentences from this review to exact sentences from Eric. :\

Juku *high fin*

AniaR
08-09-2011, 08:18 PM
I also think it's nuts they attack Kanti when Kanti was the one standing up for mertailor in the editorial thread!

Mermaid Star
08-09-2011, 08:23 PM
I agree Raina... are there any screen caps you have that you can share? Still waiting for a message back

Mermaid Star
08-09-2011, 08:38 PM
Ummm... I am not sure what to do about his either... I just looked on Alexandria's Website and saw a picture she took in her publications section and next to it, a flyer that my ex designed and drew himself for a show we were doing. I am not sure if she was saying that the picture she took inspired the flyer... but my ex drew that picture off of his costume. I recognize his pants and jacket... I am not sure how to bring this up to her that her photo was not the inspiration for this drawing. ... Maybe it is just the inside of the magazine and she didn't intend for them to seem like they were the inspiration for each other.

merpirate
08-09-2011, 08:47 PM
I Just read this.......... WOW! I have heard about this sort of thing before from Siren and Star in the past, I have to say after looking at the post I read and reading what all of you said, I am truly have to wonder if it is not Eric or some one connected to him doing this. I thought about a few things and I want to ask all of you here has anyone ever gotten a universal tail from The Mertailor or any other tail makers out there made from Silicone? I can see how a stretch Fabric would work for more than one model of different heights and weights, but from what I have seen of the Mertailor I am confused how a 5'6" 100 lbs. model would fit the same on a 5'5" 125lbs. model with out stretching out or even ripping. No two models are ever the same hips may be different sizes and that alone could cause issues Where I can see how having a larger tail could be helpful for some points you would have to hope and work out the weight changes even if both models were the same weight but different sizes it could be a problem making them fit skin tight and useable for underwater photo shoots

Siren
08-09-2011, 09:37 PM
WOW!
Star, considering we were both there, I think we can state for a certain fact that NO ONE was there wearing that outfit. Hopefully she is just saying she drew inspiration from it however, I hope there is no insinuation that her work inspired that art. He is far too talented to need any inspiration other than his own mind. He drew me something amazing on the table at Cody's once.....no photo reference needed. I hope she has asked S. if she could use his work. If not, I'm sure he wouldn't mind a few extra bucks of residuals from any profit it gave her!!!

Mermaid Star
08-09-2011, 09:47 PM
WOW!
Star, considering we were both there, I think we can state for a certain fact that NO ONE was there wearing that outfit. Hopefully she is just saying she drew inspiration from it however, I hope there is no insinuation that her work inspired that art. He is far too talented to need any inspiration other than his own mind. He drew me something amazing on the table at Cody's once.....no photo reference needed. I hope she has asked S. if she could use his work. If not, I'm sure he wouldn't mind a few extra bucks of residuals from any profit it gave her!!!

Yeah, I am just hoping that her picture was in the pirates magazine next to the ad for the show and it was just a scan of the entire magazine to show that it was in fact in the magazine. Otherwise I would be upset.

Mermaid Photine
08-09-2011, 10:00 PM
No matter how you spin it, this thread is looking pretty bad. The poster of this thread joined toady, and the only post she/he ever made were the ones in this thread. I really want to give Alexandria the benefit of the doubt, but nowhere does she show on her website that she did, in fact, buy the tail, and the sentences are the same structure and word choice as those I have read from Eric. It's so unfortunate that we can't trust positive reviews from a tailmaker because of his previous (and current) actions. I wasn't around when this drama began, but I am suprised that a professional and businessperson would feel the need to stoop to creating false reviews (as it has happened in the past.) when all that really needs to be done is some real, honest apologies and mending of relationships (and tails). Perhaps we will get word from Alexandria and this is in fact her post and words, but that seems about as likely as me suddenly sprouting a real pair of fins and gills myself.

Siren
08-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Good point. I would be too. I wonder if there is a way to get a back publication........hmmmmm.....

AniaR
08-09-2011, 10:51 PM
Star- I can't see anything of what you're talking about, can you post a screen cap? as far as
I agree Raina... are there any screen caps you have that you can share? Still waiting for a message back check out Mika's thread about mertailor its got some of my screencaps all ready including a message Eric sent me.

Pandorah I think you make some of the best points here. I think people would be more willing to accept positive posts about Eric if he didn't try so hard to manipulate.

Funny thing is, I told him on more than one occasion when he offered to make me a new free tail I'd be happy to make a new positive review.

I really feel he's alienated all the people who would normally help him through this stuff, and now since no one is around to bring him a fresh perspective he's acting on every whim

Kanti
08-09-2011, 11:04 PM
I'm sorry, but if you come in here posting a review and blame the product's bad rep on it's customers?
Like, seriously lol? How do you expect ANYONE to trust your review?

That would be like me going into an amazon page trying to order a toaster and seeing that comment on there.

-"Oh well, I'm a GREAT cook and only want the BEST toast. Let me tell you THIS toaster makes the best toast EVER. It's toast can easily be sold for
TWICE the amount any other toaster makes!!"
-"How long did it take the toaster to make it for you? "
-"Well, anyone knows that GREAT toast takes time! You can't just pop the bread in there and expect PERFECT TOAST in under 5 minutes. When you don't get your toast in 5 minutes, don't slander the toaster all over the internet because you failed to do your homework and you’re impatient. All professionals in the industry(of toast) know that quality toasting takes time. When I decide to have toast made, I usually make it 20 minutes in advance."
-"The toaster says it can make toast in 5 minutes. That's false advertising. Also, you're calling a lot of people ignorant by saying they "didn't do their homework" when it comes to toast. I can't take your review seriously, it's way too biased."
-"OH IM SURE YOU'D LOVE IT IF THIS TOASTER WENT OUT OF BUSINESS. I'M SURE YOU'D LOVE TO SCARE HIM OUT OF BUSINESS BECAUSE HE MAKES BETTER TOAST THAN YOU EVER WILL! YOU'RE A CYBER BULLY AND ALL YOU CARE ABOUT IS BEING BETTER THAN EVERYONE ELSE! YOU'RE TREADING IN DANGEROUS WATERS! I CAN TAKE YOU TO COURT FOR STATING YOUR OWN OPINION ONLINE! I AM AN AWARD WINNING TOAST-MAKER FOR CHRIST SAKES!!!"

Like, I'm sorry but I literally went
http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/entries/icons/original/000/005/545/OpoQQ.jpg?1302279173
and couldn't help but laugh after I read that.

I will apologize, however.
I am sorry you cannot read and comprehend a basic paragraph and I'm sorry that when one becomes so "wildly successful" they suddenly think they are above
everyone else. It's not your fault, after all.
I can only hope you've matured from this experience, as I see you are still online and probably browsing through topics, however, I don't really care if you do or not.
I see that I was correct in not trusting your review. You cannot even be trusted to be a mature "professional" human being.

Sorry again :'P

AniaR
08-09-2011, 11:14 PM
omg that was hysterical. That's ok Kanti, Eric thinks everyone who makes a bad post about him is me using an alt account. So by that logic, you are also me :D Linda must be me too. Orcamatt, Pandorah... oh gosh all these people who actually have smarts are me! I consider myself lucky and blessed to be put in the same group. <3

But seriously, your toast analogy wins everything. I also like your appropriate meme. I have to add my own now.

http://cdn3.knowyourmeme.com/i/2144/original/fry.jpg?1241737701

Kanti
08-09-2011, 11:22 PM
Lol yea memes are great~ And this one was perfect for this scenario. But, honestly, I probably make that face alot lol.
And yea, sometimes people do make false accounts to do stuff like that. It's funny, but who cares. They're the ones wasting their time.

I also found the toast analogy was quite effective in dumbing the situation down for those who dislike reading and comprehending things.

Another thing, thank you for posting the cyber bully and free-speech vs. slander links.
For those of you who don't know, you can post reviews on ANYTHING you want. However, people CAN sue you for anything they want as well.
But just because they can sue you doesn't mean they have ANY valid point. If Eric(or if it was actually a girl), took me into court for saying anything
I said, they would have NO GROUNDS against me and basically be wasting money. Just because someone threatens to sue you doesn't mean they
actually have a case, they're just trying to bully you into being submissive towards acting in according to what they want.

MermaidSaku
08-09-2011, 11:22 PM
Wow you two lol. xD
I'm cracking up at the pictures xP

Mermaid Photine
08-09-2011, 11:24 PM
omg that was hysterical. That's ok Kanti, Eric thinks everyone who makes a bad post about him is me using an alt account. So by that logic, you are also me :D Linda must be me too. Orcamatt, Pandorah... oh gosh all these people who actually have smarts are me! I consider myself lucky and blessed to be put in the same group. <3

I have a visual of a cheesy kid's cartoon where all of the robot mermaids combine to form one megamermaid, totally decked out with lazer guns and realistic silicone scales.

Spindrift
08-09-2011, 11:24 PM
Kanti, I want to be your friend. :|

AniaR
08-09-2011, 11:28 PM
I think we can all agree Kanti is awesome sause.

Also, reflecting on this line again:
but you are treading in some seriously dangerous waters if you continue because he will have every opportunity to take you to court. Do not contact me again on the subject as there is nothing more to say.
we didn't contact you. You contacted us. lol

jukumerboii
08-10-2011, 12:06 AM
lmao omg i freakin LOVE all of yall i swear man! :lol:

Winged Mermaid
08-10-2011, 04:37 AM
When I first saw this post I was suspicious as well. After all I saw the same writing style as Eric, as apparently others do as well. IP matched up to her noted location on FB, also sent a FB message thanking her for the review and she did respond to me. I thought I would check in on it for ease of mind of the members, but honestly I'm not worried about "is this Eric".

Regardless, no one is going to take this review seriously. This is because you right off insulted people you don't even know for no good reason. People are "impatient" and "didn't do their homework"? Because Eric always says, on his website, on his Facebook, in his emails: 4-6 weeks, yet the average is 3 months? If it takes an average of that, that is what should be posted. The time that is posted is what he is responsible for. If you are pleased with your tail write your review and leave others out of it. If you are happy with your purchase and want to support and do good for his business and reputation, do that and also provide pictures (I ask this of everyone who writes a review). Anyone can go on and write a review of something- pictures is a solid block to base it on. Bashing people will only make people disregard what you have to say completely.

I was hoping since you are a professional that you could actually BE professional, as I ask of all reviewers, and not personal and emotional. You completely over reacted to someone asking legitimate questions and bringing up valid points. Cyber-bully? Slander? Court? ..Really? Completely out of line and unprovoked.

Thank you Raina for the informational links- always good to be properly informed.

AniaR
08-10-2011, 10:47 AM

Oh look... the puppet keeps pulling the strings... I wonder how many comments he deleted from this one? he also re-posted a photo he all ready posted claiming it's her tail. It may very well be, but that doesnt mean I buy any of this for a second.

Im getting pretty annoyed with the "you're out to ruin me!" argument too. I think we can mostly all agree no one here wants to ruin mertailor. We just want him to do what he says and be a good businessman and respectful to the community. We want him to stop bullying and harassing and censoring and focus on making a great product for great people- professionals or not. It seems the only way to do that is by us forcing him to by posting stuff on the forum. Every single time something gets brought up on the forum he rushes to fix it- like late tails and issues etc. It's only sad that people have to stoop to the level of complaining on a forum to get him to do what he's supposed to do all along. He must never sleep and feel pretty sick from having to scour the forums everyday

Kanti
08-10-2011, 11:46 AM
Oh hmm.. Well that certainly is a cry for attention.
I guess it goes to show that he knows at least some of the members check/follow his facebook and he wants to prove to you
that this chick was a real person. I really see no other point to posting that copy/paste review besides that. Everyone else who
has him added/followed on facebook wouldn't care or suspect the review is false so it's probably 100% aimed toward people
at this community. It seems like a "HAHA LOOK SHE IS REAL! I WOULDN'T POST A FAKE REVIEW ON MY FACEBOOK". Well
honestly she could be real, who gives a crap. If she really did write that review, then she's still WRONG and her review sucks.

Also, that photo looks just like one I saw on his website of the tail, it's not hers. If a PHOTOGRAPHER bought a TAIL that was
so BEAUTIFUL she BRAGGED about it so bad then why the hell would there not be 50 pictures of everyone in the tail? Not to
mention she bragged about how well it fit.

Either way, when you think about it, Eric is stuck with us. We're all mermaid fans and have a lot of power over people who browse
online for a review of tails. You have to understand that it may seem impulsive or weird for him to stalk this forum so much, but
he's "reaching out to his customers" in a sense. And in turn, we are somewhat stuck with him. He's one of the cheapest higher
quality mermaid tail makers out there and a lot of people consider buying from him despite all the negative press because they
just can't really afford anything else.
He is going about it the wrong way, though, and rather than posting fake reviews, he just needs to make his service better so
that people WANT to write good reviews.
This is all stuff we already know, though. We just have to wait until more tail makers rise up and give Eric a run for his money.
Since he's really the only one with low enough prices, he has no competition. Once he gets some, he will have no choice but
to treat his customers better, or, just be run dry out of business.

merpirate
08-10-2011, 12:17 PM
What I fonud funny (odd strange) is the fact the fb profile photo shows the same tail with a different color and that photo has been around for a while as well as the one we see on the review on his page. I wonder why she didn't post the link to the review herself if she liked it so much, and if he is trying to say it is the tail he made her, why did it take so long for her to write a review, and why hasn't she ever said anything anywhere else about her GREAT tail from the MerTailor?

Moonflower
08-10-2011, 12:55 PM
As for the "we're just out to ruin him" comment - why on EARTH would we want to do that if he was, in fact, supplying a product we wanted? In this situation, it's not like he's making toasters (though I loved the analogy) and there's a huge market. There's pretty much just US - The small community of people who WANT a great-looking tail that is durable, made to our size and specifications, can be used to swim in water and will be delivered to us in a timely fashion. That's it, really! I don't think that's really so much to ask!
I genuinely think that if he pulled his act together and stopped spending his time worrying about a (deserved) bad review and focused on his product, nearly every single one of us here would be saving to get one of his tails.

AniaR
08-10-2011, 01:00 PM
I genuinely think that if he pulled his act together and stopped spending his time worrying about a (deserved) bad review and focused on his product, nearly every single one of us here would be saving to get one of his tails.
I agree

Mermaid Star
08-10-2011, 01:50 PM
I wonder where he copied the review from, because it wasn't from here. The paragraphs are broken down better. It looks like a copy paste on here. It looks better on the notes.

She didn't post it on her page and then tag him, he posted it and tagged himself in his own note and added a picture to the review himself. Still very curious. I have yet to hear back from her after I wrote to her. Again, curious.

I wouldn't doubt that she wrote a "review" somewhere but I really don't think that a photographer, who specializes in fairies, would randomly find the brand new mer forum, that has people that Eric apparently feels that he desperately needs to prove that he is amazing to. Randomly post her review there and randomly be so emotionally invested in her review that she would stay in the forums for hours waiting to defend her review tooth and nail against anyone that would comment on it with out anyone nudging her in the right direction. (Sorry for the massively long run on sentences) I just find this highly suspicious, even with Winged having contact with her. Something just seems very out of place

AniaR
08-10-2011, 02:37 PM
I agree star, and I think his own fans do too

Siren
08-10-2011, 07:53 PM
I want to speak as someone who has written things for Eric many times before. First, like to apologize for my part in the previous deception as well. As PR and many other things, I did my best to turn the company around for him. He was a friend first and I wanted to see him succeed. I wrote many things for him, including the apologies to MerYuku, Raina, and the business plans to repair tails and have a fresh start. It was not all for him, though. My intentions were all the best. I wanted to see a quality company turn out quality products and customer service so that everyone would win. So, for the deception, I apologize, but for my intentions, I can't. You all deserve the best.With all that said, i do not think Eric would be stupid enough to write this for himself. Not only could he face serious repercussions for stealing an identity, but he knows that he cannot write well enough to pull it off. Often when I was writing for him he would say a point he wanted to get across, then I would change it to sound appropriate and publish it. In this case, I can very easily see him telling someone what he wants to say, but the ghost writer lacked the crucial step of converting it to sound like it was someone else. Also, the review stated far too much knowledge and too many insinuations of previous events for this to be the writing of a brand nee face to the community. I have no doubt that this could be a real person, however, I can say with certainty that this review was not written completely independent from Eric.*expert witness steps down from the stand* lolol

AniaR
08-10-2011, 09:40 PM
Thanks for speaking up Siren, I was really mad about the fake apology but even before you and I first spoke I never had bad feelings toward you because I also have advised Eric on how to deal with things in the past because we wanted to see him do well and to provide great stuff for the community. When you say,

I wanted to see a quality company turn out quality products and customer service so that everyone would win I seriously agree, and it's that very reason why I first reached out to him to begin with. I was one of the first people to try and give him a second chance, and I also think I was one of the first people he burned bridges with in spite of that.

We all know now he had a hand to play in this, he copied the review with a photo right onto his page so people would look at IT and not out comments to see the truth. Someone who is telling the truth doesn't need to pull that kind of stuff.

I am reminded of this French Proverb:

“There is no pillow so soft as a clear conscience” ~ French Proverb
isnt it the truth?

You were doing what a good friend does as far as I'm concerned. Trying to keep your friend on the right path- something he's lacking right now. Im just disappointed he couldnt even give me a real apology or own up to his promise breaking of not attacking the forum. I want to remind people, I didnt repost my review until I realized he hadn't honoured our deal. I was happy to keep quiet and positive so long as he apologized and stop but he did neither.

It's all disappointing, but I think the community will be stronger for it.

Siren
08-10-2011, 09:53 PM
Even if he wasn't sorry for what you were going through, I was. You deserve the world, girl!!!

Siren
08-10-2011, 10:09 PM
In re to the artwork in question:http://www.alexandrialanier.net/html/publications-d.htmlI can't screen cap from an Ipad as far as I know, but this is the link to the pirate art. Scroll to the right and after Pirates magazine and you will see a flier for Florida Pirate Festival.

Mermaid Photine
08-10-2011, 11:30 PM
That link doesn't work for me. Could you write out how to navigate there?

Siren
08-11-2011, 02:11 AM
Sure. When you go to the main site, click the hanging butterfly that links to publications. The green lantern picture will pop up first. Hover over and scroll the pictures to the right. You will see a cover for pirates magazine. Next to that will be an Orlando Bloom like pirate with an illustration to the right. It's a flier for the Florida Pirate Festival and the artist is more than just a close friend. He is a great artist and I hope he is getting compensation for his work if the site has drawn profit from it.

Moonflower
08-11-2011, 04:41 AM
Siren - To screencap on an iPad press both the "lock" and "home" button at the same time ^_^

And yes, the link is broken for me as well...

AniaR
08-11-2011, 11:05 AM
the link works if you delete the I at the end, it just wasnt spaced enough.

Erics been messaging lots of people to ask them for good reviews for his website. He's entitled to have good reviews if they are real reviews- I have no objection to that. But the best reviews are ones that people write because they are sincerely happy with their product.

edit: Eric thinks we're stalking him, which is funny because this review was posted here and the review asking I heard about was through someone else massaging me. I watch Eric's page, because he tried to call me out on it, duh. Currently he wants to know what you call a fish that stalks others? Why Eric, you call that fish- a SHARK. (terribly ironic since his BF started following (like) my Raina page...) Rawr. Nom Nom Nom

Mermaid Star
08-11-2011, 02:11 PM
Hahahaa! That is what I thought too Raina, a Shark. I think that your noms are hilarious! This particular definition of shark is very you.

shark2    [shahrk] http://sp.dictionary.com/dictstatic/g/d/dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif (http://dictionary.reference.com/help/luna/Spell_pron_key.html) Show IPA

2. Informal . a person who has unusual ability in a particular field.

You are awesome!

AniaR
08-11-2011, 03:38 PM
since he can't delete or control what's here he's just posting reviews and what he thinks are reviews (but are actually testimonials since they are not coming from customers) but they're all biased they're mostly all from high profile customers! Of course he gives the best attention to high profile people.

He'd do better (and perhaps he will listen to me since he reads this) to post Claudio's review and perhaps ask Doreen Virtue if he can post hers since it was so positive as well. I mean he's all ready taking my advice
Don't be fooled by imitations, there is only one Mertailor. is an exact line I suggested he use in a chat to help combat his fears of people copying him. Funny thing is, no one is pretending to be him or imitating him.

I cant wait til my tail maker and the other 3 I know of bust out on the scene :) I'm going to do a full detailed photo comparison between my current mertailor tail, the ones on his site, and my new tail.

edit: I also stalked him like the shark that I am and saw that he deleted the review from this thread and reposted it without the photo since everyone got wise to the photo.