PDA

View Full Version : Paint For Latex Tails?

Nessadelle
08-09-2011, 02:19 AM
Hello!

I've been working on my latex tail for a while now, and it's starting to arrive at the point where I need to figure out what paint to use... I don't want to bother wasting my time asking the Mertailor what he uses, because from what I know, his paint brushes off against basically anything. Does anyone have a good idea of what paints stick and hold well for long term use on latex tails? I don't mind touching up every once in a while, but I don't want to have to repaint after every use from awful chipping and cracks.

Any ideas? :)

Kanti
08-09-2011, 02:26 AM
Acrylic paint is pretty nice. It's not the most durable when it comes to painting on latex, but if you mix the color into the actual
latex while you're making it, at least the undercoat will be the color forever. I've painted some scales I made randomly with
acrylic and so far it hasn't rubbed off, but all I've put it through was water. No real physical contact.

I was suggested to use floral paint by a friend of mine who is very talented with prop work. He says floral paint is durable,
sticks to latex, and comes in a large range of colors. I've never used it before so I can't vouch for it, I also couldn't find it
at my local arts and crafts stores, so acrylics is just what I've been sticking to.

Nessadelle
08-09-2011, 02:31 AM
Thank you, Kanti!!! I appreciate your input, and I will test out both of those! Thank you so much! :)

AniaR
08-09-2011, 08:17 AM
the paint he uses can work, I think we've learned now the best thing to do is to mix it with your latex so your latex is pigmented. Pigments and createx work fine if theyre mixed in

Syrenia
08-14-2011, 02:23 AM
What I did was used acrylic paint mixed with my caulk, then when it all dried, I sprayed it with silicone spray. So far, it hasn't come off at all, even after putting it in the water, soaking it, and rubbing it (rather roughly) between my hands.

Nessadelle
08-15-2011, 02:17 PM
Thank you all so much for your advice! I will try those methods out and hopefully my tail color will stick! I have my fins crossed! <3