PDA

View Full Version : How to "Screen capture"

AniaR
08-09-2011, 09:09 AM
I get asked a lot about making screen captures for review purposes and communication etc. I'm always sending people instructions via pm or email I thought I'd just post it here since it makes sense the most for reviews.

A screencapture is a picture your computer can take of whatever you're doing on it or looking at

You can use a screencapture to prove someone has said or done something. This is more reliable than copying and pasting an email or communication because where you're only copying and pasting you can edit in or out whatever you like whereas it's much harder to edit a screen capture and quite obvious when someone does.

There are several ways to take a screen capture, in windows 7 under the start menu you have the "snipping tool". This brings up a little box where you can drag a cursor across wherever you'd like and "snip" then save it as a jpeg.

There is usually always a print screen button as well that usually says "prt Sc" on your keyboard. Sometimes you need to press shift of Fn (function) while pressing it. It will make a copy of everything visible on your desktop then you go into a program like paint and right click paste and it'll all be there, then save as a jpg.

The snipping tool is the best if you have it, prt sc will make bigger files.

In a review if you're talking about how a maker promised something would happen a certain way, or perhaps they were rude in an email etc it's easier for people to believe you if you have actual proof.

I hope this has been helpful!

Moonflower
08-09-2011, 10:14 AM
To screencap on a Mac computer, simply press Shift+Apple(command)+3 for a picture of the entire screen.

Or, press Shift+Apple+4 to bring up a tool that lets you select a snippet of the screen to take a capture of.

The image will (by default) be saved to the Desktop as a .png file, and titled "picture 1.png, picture 2.png, etc..." depending on how many previous screencaps have been taken and are currently on the desktop.

MermaidAubrin
08-09-2011, 11:29 AM
If you want to take it on a iPad or Ipone or iPod touch the press the sleep/turnoff at the same time as home

Winged Mermaid
08-09-2011, 03:38 PM
There's also an exceptionally useful add-on to Firefox that I use. It's called "Screen Grab" and you can download it HERE (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/screengrab/). You can save or copy a window, a selection, what is visible on your screen, or the whole page. The last one is the best- it will capture the whole page that you're viewing instead of just what you can see. It saves them as JPGs so when you open it full size it's just like reading and scrolling down the actual page. (Example (http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/3948/whathappened4themertail.png))