PDA

View Full Version : How to add fins to your fabric tail?

MermaidAqua
12-14-2012, 02:39 PM
Hey there Mers!

So I've got a question that is probably really obvious and may be a waste, but anyway. How do you add fins to a fabric tail. For the holidays this year I'll be getting my first big sewing machine (EEE!) and so I've decided to make a new tail. I have a hand made tail and home however when I was in the first stages of making I realised I had no room for the fluke I wanted. So I had to shorten the fins and lately I have noticed the fins dont look realistic atall. I'm not pleased with them. So I am making a new tail, I would love to add small rubber fins on the sides and maybe even a dorsal fin. If I was to use a thin rubber 1. Would my sewing machine be capable of sewing through it and 2. How would I attach them to the tail to make sure they are really durable?

If anyone could help out, just a little explanation no big tutorial or anything, it would help me soo soo much!

Thanks Guys and, as always, happy swimming!

P.S Feel free to move this thread if its in the wrong place

~Mermaid Aqua :D

Shivice
12-14-2012, 04:17 PM
I would do small tests to see how your sewing machine can hold up. If you want to add side fins, you know how you sew the two sides of your tail together?? When you go to sew that, you would sandwich the fins between both sides of the tail stitch. I would suggest for the dorsal fin, to split where you want the dorsal and do the same thing with the dorsal that you would do for the extra fins. I hope this helps. If you find a better way to do it, feel free to let me know.

MermaidAqua
12-15-2012, 09:05 AM
Great thats really helpful, thanks! The tail should be finished by january(with a big ish!) so Ill post a pic when its finished!

Dee Tal
12-15-2012, 01:17 PM
I will also be doing side fins on my tail. Any suggestions on sources for rubber that would be paintable?

MermaidAqua
12-22-2012, 02:14 PM
I personally am looking into like construction rubber, for insulation and such because decorating and building you would expect the rubber to be paintable.

Mermaid Saphira
12-22-2012, 02:25 PM
Although I can not aid in the answer, I would like to bid you good luck and let you know that this is a great idea that I would love to know more about! :3

Coradion
12-24-2012, 12:36 AM
I wouldn't add rubber ones, if you cut out the shape of the fins from fabric, you can sew them on the tail in the desired places. Then take a tube of silicone caulk and pipe it onto the fabric, you can then use a paintbrush to spread the silicone and detail it. Silicones should adhere to the fabric.