PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide on a Tailmaker

Fifi Tigg
12-18-2012, 10:22 PM
Hello everyone :)
I'm wanting to get a professional tail made for my next Australian summer 2013 and cannot decide on which tail maker to go with? I have been looking at Mermaid Kariel, Merbellas, Fishbutt's and The Mertailor
I need something that looks real, flexible in the water, can be used in pools and the ocean, will last a long time and I'm willing to spend what is needed for something that is professional. We really want something that will make the non believers believe ;)
Any feedback will be truly appreciated!
Kind regards
Fifi

Mermaid Annariea
12-18-2012, 10:49 PM
I personally would go with either Merbellas or Fish Butts. Both of them make lovely silicone tails. Fish Butts' are a bit less expensive but still look real, whereas Merbellas are EXTREMELY realistic and more expensive. Stephanie from FB is great to work with, and I've heard the same about Raven from Merbellas. The Mertailor's silicone tails are lovely as well, and he has a few new designs coming out! I don't know anything about Kariel though.

Ayla of Duluth
12-18-2012, 10:51 PM
Merbellas! Definitely fits your needs. And she has 2 different prices so you can pick how much you want to pay, 1k or 3k. <3

NerineArcticMermaid
12-18-2012, 11:08 PM
If budget is no problem then go with either Mermaid Creations silicone or MerBellas silicone performance tail. It depends on he look you want and colors which you go with. I can vouche for Mermaid creations.. I LOVE my silicone tail from him. I dont have a merbellas tail but I love the look of her sculpts.

Ashe
12-18-2012, 11:58 PM
I would go for Merbellas for sure! And if those are too expensive for your budget, then FishButts :)

Elle
12-19-2012, 12:04 AM
you need to consider what your budget is. If you have no budget then you're open to a lot more. I'd look into the tailmakers review section and look at what others have said about different tailmakers.
obviously your choice will be affected by you as an individual (Swimming strength, colour options, general look of the tail)
But I definately recommend looking into reviews of other mers, and see if that can't point you in a direction that makes you the happiest.

Fifi Tigg
12-19-2012, 12:16 AM
Has anyone purchased a full silicone tail from Fishbutts or Merbellas?

MermaidBrittany
12-19-2012, 12:52 AM
I am actually trying to figure this out as well :P What about MVD tails?

Ayla of Duluth
12-19-2012, 12:55 AM
Has anyone purchased a full silicone tail from Fishbutts or Merbellas?
AniaR has a full silicone tail from Merbellas, and mine is on its way, also full silicone.

Shivice
12-19-2012, 01:00 AM
There are threads on here from mers who have purchased a full silicone tail.

Raina the Halifax Mermaid bought a Merbellas tail. Here's a link to her youtube: (she has videos about her silicone tail)

http://www.youtube.com/user/HFXmermaid?feature=g-subs-c

NerineArcticMermaid
12-19-2012, 01:52 AM
I don't recommend mvd..

But that's just me

-Annwyn-
12-19-2012, 04:47 AM
I'd recommend Mermaid Shelly's new sequin tails.

mermanjr
12-19-2012, 08:09 AM
I reconmend Mermiad Creations LLC by merman Jesse
here is website http://www.mermaidcreations-inc.com/
Also his tail's can go in both pool and the ocean

Mermaid Kassandra
12-19-2012, 09:33 AM
Well...I recommend you Merbellas,Mermaid Raven makes awesome silicone tails!I saw a raimbow one and it was breathtaking!
And her tails with extra fins are just unique,no one has this kind of tails or extra fins that Merbellas has; so if you want a great tail that can amaze everyone sees you and only you can have in the entire world you must definitely buy a Merbellas tail.
If you want to see some of Mermaid Raven creations you can go here, on her FB page:
https://it-it.facebook.com/merbellas
Also don't miss her videos that are great and will give you an idea of how amazing are her tails!(you can find them in the FB pagr too)

And if you want to know something more about Merbellas ask to Mermaid Raina :)

Mermaid Dottie
12-19-2012, 11:24 AM
Kariel's tails are sequined or painted artistic masterpieces, but if you want really realistic ones and don't care how much you spend, go with Raven at Merbella's. Seamless, iridescent, and very, very realistic.
If you DO care how much you spend, though, go with Fish Butts.
I ordered a latex tail, and after she switched to using dragon skin platinum cure, she upgraded me (as a birthday gift! Totally sweet, right?) to partial silicone. I couldn't be more pleased with it's texture and weight if you paid me.
Merman Jesse is also REALLY good. Lei Loni has a tail by him and it's exquisite, but HEAVY.
I think all molded silicone tails are pretty heavy. My tail is 10 lbs. without the monofin, so I can only imagine what it would be like to swim in a full-silicone tail.

AniaR
12-19-2012, 11:38 AM
I don't recommend mvd..

But that's just me

You're one of the very very very few people in the community who actually owned a MVD tail! So I think that's valid. Lots of people have opinions on tail makers good or bad that they've never actually used...

Fiona, It might be worth investigating what the tail makers offer for kids. It's for Emily? I know Kariel actually makes tails for kids. So does fish butts. I think mertailor has only done a few kid tails for advertisements, and I'm not sure merbellas has done one for a kid yet. I would hope you wouldn't have to pay the same price as a large tail. I think Kariel's might be the best simply because where it's neoprene you can probably adjust it to fit Emily for the longest time possible, where as with silicone tails once you grow out of them, they're done! Thats just my two cents though :)

NerineArcticMermaid
12-19-2012, 12:32 PM
If im not mistaken...i think raven just made a kids tail

AniaR
12-19-2012, 12:46 PM
No that's an adult tail, lol I think because of the angle of the photo some people thought it was small? It belongs to someone on the forums here who has been posting about it a lot ;) because she's getting it soon!

AniaR
12-19-2012, 12:47 PM
I think all molded silicone tails are pretty heavy. My tail is 10 lbs. without the monofin, so I can only imagine what it would be like to swim in a full-silicone tail.

This is important to consider as well. My merbellas tail is 20lbs, my mermaid creations tail is 50

MerEmma
12-19-2012, 01:12 PM
Seriously? Wow. I can't even pick up my 26 lb. dog. 50 lbs. is a lot for a tail.

Ayla of Duluth
12-19-2012, 01:18 PM
The pink and white one? That's an adult tail. I think the color scheme kinda threw people off, it looked like a Barbie tail to me. xD

AniaR
12-19-2012, 01:33 PM
Seriously? Wow. I can't even pick up my 26 lb. dog. 50 lbs. is a lot for a tail.

Yeah, lol the mertender carries it for me hahah

Fifi Tigg
12-19-2012, 06:00 PM
Is that the little orange tail I saw on FB this morning?

Mizuko
12-19-2012, 06:05 PM
I believe that is the first childrens tail she's made, yes! :D Its very cute!

AniaR
12-19-2012, 06:52 PM
oh Pardon me, I thought we were referring to the pink tail! You're all talking about this one?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/533508_10200230866713997_1438277930_n.jpg

that's adorable. Well, I stand corrected! Seems she's making kids tails too :)

Ashe
12-19-2012, 07:11 PM
^^^ That tail looks almost like your old latex one, Raina! I love the colors and how she's adding Oceanika merfins as an option :)

Fifi Tigg
12-19-2012, 07:19 PM
Yay :lol:
I think we have decided on our tail maker!
Mermaid Raven will be getting an order from me in the new year cannot wait!
Mermaid Emily Drew will be very excited!
I have secretly purchased a partial silicone tail from fish butts for her to start in and that hopefully should arrive before this summer ends and I cannot wait to see her face when it arrives :D
Will have to buy a membership at the indoor pools for winter! LOL

Mizuko
12-19-2012, 07:37 PM
You can always come down to Adelaide and visit us again, it was great seeing you and Emily! :D hehe!

Fifi Tigg
12-19-2012, 09:12 PM
Would love to drive up again :D Emily loved that whole experience!
She met a fellow little mermaid Abbey and now they are really good friends and talk to each other on FB it's very cute!

Mizuko
12-19-2012, 10:19 PM
I'm so glad! :D Next time you are free for a visit, we will try and organize another big catchup so we can all swim together again! I know Abbey doesn't get as much time to swim in her tail, so she would love it! :)

mermanjr
12-23-2012, 01:22 AM
Actually raina the weight depends on the person dementions and the size of the tail and
I know jesse started work on fabric tails for kids, He said on his facebook page and I think he stated that the age limit is 11 under

AniaR
12-23-2012, 07:34 AM
Actually raina the weight depends on the person dementions and the size of the tail and
I know jesse started work on fabric tails for kids, He said on his facebook page and I think he stated that the age limit is 11 under

Jesse and I actually discussed that before he posted, and that was AFTER this thread was started. And proportionately, silicone is still heavy for a kid if it's not made thin. So a tail may not be 50lbs which is heavy for me, a 140lbs adult, but a tail that is 20lbs would still be heavy for a child, that ways 50lb-75lbs

mermanjr
12-25-2012, 11:55 AM
okay cool