PDA

View Full Version : Looking to hire a Seamtress

NerineArcticMermaid
12-21-2012, 12:32 AM
If this image isnt big enough I can send a larger one...

THanks to koral for the base..

I want this top made is swim spandex.. I have swatches already picked out from spandex world.
I can sew but I really suck with stretchy fabrics...

If I hire you I need to see prior works and I will pay material cost upfront. once completed I will pay you your "labor" charge.

Serious inquries only.

email me
nerinethemermaid@yahoo.com

Mermaid Dottie
12-21-2012, 02:31 PM
That would be a difficult design to wear in the water.
How do you plan on keeping it from riding up?

NerineArcticMermaid
12-21-2012, 03:40 PM
Riding up how?

Mermaid Momo
12-21-2012, 05:36 PM
That would be a difficult design to wear in the water.
How do you plan on keeping it from riding up?

Riding up how?
I think she means that the shoulder straps that are just wrapped around the shoulders will float up when in the water. Is that what you're going for? oh, and i can sew pretty well, would you like me to post a picture of a dress i just finished?

NerineArcticMermaid
12-21-2012, 05:55 PM
The wrap straps..yeah want loose-ish to give a fkoaty pretty look.....

Do you have examples of your work?

Mermaid Momo
12-21-2012, 06:47 PM
http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/peachproject/49721520/374/374_900.jpg (http://peachproject.livejournal.com/pics/catalog/706/374)
here's a dress i finished last month. Sdly, this is the only dress i've made that i have a picture of (the others i made years ago and gave them to family once i out grew them) but i've been sewing for 6 years now. This dress was done completely by hand but only because my other machines broke (i'll have a new one after x-mas)

NerineArcticMermaid
12-21-2012, 08:19 PM
Ok.. good....butI how are you with stretchy fabrics?

Also.. what would you charge.

Will probably wait til after xmas to have it made.

Mermaid Momo
12-21-2012, 11:46 PM
im good with stretch fabric too, i made a pillow from 2 way stretch fabric not knowing i picked a stretchy fabric LOL and i gutted it for it's stuffing, but i can sew stretchy fabrics well, and i'm just wondering, you want a built in bra/padding in it right? Honestly I have no idea what to charge for something like this.I usually make dresses which will take longer than a top and my dresses usually go for $60 or so but that's because of how long it takes to make it and how much fabric i need to buy. Shoot me a price. :)

also, if you'd like, i can make a mini tape body form and make a mock up out of the same fabric you plan to use before you decide to let me make it to see if it's what you had in mind.

NerineArcticMermaid
12-22-2012, 12:55 AM
I dunno about built in bra.. i got 36E boobs...

$60 for a dress?? Wow... well its half a dress so how bout $30?

Mermaid Momo
12-22-2012, 01:23 AM
I could probably go $25 on it. (yeah since i usually make lolita dresses, which uses a butt load of fabric to get that cupcake skirt shape to fit up to 3 petticoats or more underneath it, and you have to use high quality lace on dresses because most loli's study the stuff and can tell if it's really bad and cheap lace XD)
I can look around and see if i can find some 36E pads. because i'm thinking that spandex is really thin you know?

NerineArcticMermaid
12-22-2012, 01:47 AM
I can get a liner material...

Was hinestly just going to wear abra style swim top under it.
My girls need alot of support.. like underwire bra support.
Padding not needed..support yes.

Mermaid Momo
12-22-2012, 01:36 PM
In that case, wearing one under the top makes the most since because a spandex top with an under wire in it may not look as smooth as you'd like

NerineArcticMermaid
12-22-2012, 03:38 PM
thats what i thought :)

Like I said I can sew but i really suck at working with stretchy fabrics like swim material...
Give me cordouroy anyday!

Mermaid Dottie
12-22-2012, 04:08 PM
I was thinking of my current swim top (not my mermaid top) it's halter style and stretchy, but every time I wear it the bottom seam rides all the way up to my bust and then you see the stretch marks all over my belly. :/
@ Dagger: I LOVE that Loli dress! I made a cute one in college,

Mermaid Momo
12-22-2012, 04:59 PM
I love that print! I'm planning on making a pink gingham dress soon, if I can't find a print with strawberries on it.
And about it rolling up, that may happen too. But I'm thinking its basically like a tankini right?

NerineArcticMermaid
12-22-2012, 06:33 PM
yes..a fitted bodice style tankini.. must have the seams like in the picture.. more seams good.. then i can take it in easily when i drop weight...

As for rolling up... no worries.. I wear a belt(weighted mermaid dive belt) when i swim...

Mermaid Momo
12-24-2012, 01:31 PM
Sounds good :)

Mermaid Dottie
12-31-2012, 03:31 PM
well, Dagger seems to have you pretty well covered, Nerine.
Dagger, Do you have an album of your dresses? I'd love to see more.

NerineArcticMermaid
12-31-2012, 05:17 PM
Yep.m just need to decide on fabric now lol!

Mermaid Momo
12-31-2012, 05:35 PM
well, Dagger seems to have you pretty well covered, Nerine.
Dagger, Do you have an album of your dresses? I'd love to see more.
Sadly not, I'm making a few more pretty soon though (and some cosplays) I'll be sure to post them in my album here though :)