PDA

View Full Version : Ocean Education at my local resort?

Mermaid Saphira
12-25-2012, 07:35 PM
Back story first.....

My family, Bubbles and I usually go to a local RV resort over the summer. The resort offers scheduled activites for the guest during their stay such as ice cream socials or mini art classes. Well, I was thinking this would be a great oppurtunity(sp?) to slip into my tail and educate children about our oceans and why we need to keep them clean. I am seriously considering doing this. What are your thoughts? Should I go for it? + It helps when your mom is friends with the managers of the park ;) lol

Mermaid Harmony
12-25-2012, 10:04 PM
Um yes!!! Why not? This is a great opportunity, even just swimming with the kids and telling stories and singing songs is great. If you don't ask, you'll never know.

Mermaid Annariea
12-26-2012, 01:55 AM
YESYESYES. DO IT.

Mermaid Evolet
12-26-2012, 06:40 AM
Thats a really good idea
So yes, I would do it

MerAnthony
12-26-2012, 09:53 AM
Sounds great Saph. Go for it.

Mermaid Saphira
12-26-2012, 09:59 AM
ThanQ! I knew you mers would like this idea! Just let me get a few things together and I will contact them! I will definitely keep you mers informed on hoe it goes ;)

Mermaid Saphira
12-26-2012, 10:17 AM
Just a few questions..... how would you suggest going about emailing the resort? I already know that I want to incorporate the fact that we need to keep our oceans clean, but how should I go about doing that? Books, games and activities (that can be played with a seated mermaid :/ lol)? If you haven't already guess..yeah I am new to this so I really don't know how to go about this. Do you think I would be okay with just a simple fabric until I can make my scaled fabric tail?? So many questions! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mermaidopal
12-26-2012, 08:36 PM
This is a great idea mermaid saphira! I think you should definitely go for it. Even if this starts off on a volunteer basis, maybe interested parents would start to contact you for booking bday parties or the like :)
As an volunteer educator at a local zoo, I know some things about conservation education :) There are two types of education: formal and informal. Formal involves a scheduled program, such as a presentation. Informal is more like you have a table set up and kids can come up and talk to you on their own time. I think it would be great to have a formal presentation as you're seated, and teach kids about certain aspects of the ocean (marine mammals, endangered fish, sharks/misconceptions, etc). At the end of programs at the zoo i work at we have artifacts for the kids to come up and touch since they cannot touch our live animals-- maybe you could work with shells, whale baleen (really cool!), skulls, etc. I know the zoo can get their hands on things like these because they have certain permits. I'm not sure how easy it is to get your hands on these kinds of things if you are a average person :)
If the artifact thing is not feasible, maybe you can have an open swim at the end of the lesson. You could teach seated in you tail by the pool, and then have the kids swim with the mermaid afterwards.
Best of luck with this idea and keep us updated! :)

Odette
12-26-2012, 08:50 PM
Just a few questions..... how would you suggest going about emailing the resort? I already know that I want to incorporate the fact that we need to keep our oceans clean, but how should I go about doing that? Books, games and activities (that can be played with a seated mermaid :/ lol)? If you haven't already guess..yeah I am new to this so I really don't know how to go about this. Do you think I would be okay with just a simple fabric until I can make my scaled fabric tail?? So many questions! Any help would be greatly appreciated.)
your fabric tail is fine. as long as you have one before you inquire.
I've got great experience with this!
a letter format works best.first you can tell them a summary of what you do, then tell them you are "interested in organizing an activity (or event) for(date?is there a summer event?) tell them how passionate you are to save our oceans, say how you look forward to hearing from them. stuff like that.

personal letters seem to work better than email in certain cases.this one may be a personal letter situation(this got me some good gigs). also note if you are a company or not,personal proprietor. are you registered as any business entity?there is liability stuff involved sometimes.(i found out that non profits seem to have more liability issues)Always reply as soon as you can! only give it a day or two. email with your real name or company name. i have a lot of tips here that depend on the situation.

Mermaid Saphira
12-26-2012, 09:47 PM
ThanQ for the wonderful tips, mers! ^_^ I will be sure to keep them in mind. And I do not plan on turning this into a party appearing business (atleast not for a long time). Also, I already own a few fabric tails, but there is one in particular I would like to complete for this summer event. :)

Bortillo
12-24-2022, 06:55 PM
I value your recommendations. I'll certainly gain from these tips. I learned that writing takes a lot of time and work when I tried to do it on my own. Because of this, I occasionally use write my paper https://paper24.com/ to do my science homework. I choose this service since the authors had PhD or master's degrees. This encourages me. My results are satisfactory, and my marks speak for themselves.