PDA

View Full Version : Meet up this summer!!

Dacora
12-28-2012, 04:38 PM
So there has been talk about having a meet up this summer on FB. Possibly in South padre or Dallas.

Tanja(Im sorry I don't know your mer name hun) is talking about maybe getting a discounted hotel in South padre for those who can make it. The set date is for June 9th. Who all would be able to make it?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Dacora
12-30-2012, 03:45 PM
Anyone? :O

Mia
12-30-2012, 10:23 PM
As a note, the date is totally up for debate.

Mia
12-30-2012, 10:26 PM
Oh, right. Umm, me!

Mermaid Hamant
01-03-2013, 12:15 AM
There is now a poll up in the planning on FB, and there will soon be another one up or the date. Anyone that's interested, please go vote! :)

Dacora
01-03-2013, 12:27 AM
http://www.facebook.com/events/290775727686429/

Link for those who cant find it.

Mermaid Hamant
01-06-2013, 09:28 PM
Thanks. I didn't think to put the link up. :)

SweeteSiren
01-19-2013, 04:59 PM
I'm not on FB anymore, but this sounds like fun! I'll be there, school schedule permitting.

Dacora
01-19-2013, 06:19 PM
I'm not on FB anymore, but this sounds like fun! I'll be there, school schedule permitting.

Do you know what date would be good for you? I can comment on the poll so we could also have your input for the date aswell.

Gem Stone
01-19-2013, 06:40 PM
im not on fb either, but I'd love to come. and I'm normally pretty flexible with dates. believe it or not, Mondays are actually good for me because that's my off day from work. but again, super flexible here. my only request is that we have a good place to swim :)

SweeteSiren
01-20-2013, 12:23 PM
Dacora, thanks for the offer, but I won't really know until I have the syllabus for the summer semesters (June 3 - July 1 & July 8 - August 5). As long as no exams are scheduled for that weekend, I should be OK. Of course there's also work M-F, but this sounds like a worthy use of vacation time!

Dacora
01-20-2013, 06:30 PM
Alright, Ill keep you guys updated here as more info comes in on FB and if there is anything you want me to ask or put on FB just ask and Ill be more than willing to do so. So far it looks like it will be in July(the actual day is still in voting) and South Padre is winning is votes for the place.

Mia
01-22-2013, 03:54 PM
I feel like I should be the one updating people...:$
Dacora, thank you so much for that updating the peoples here. You rock!

Dacora
01-22-2013, 08:16 PM
I feel like I should be the one updating people...:$
Dacora, thank you so much for that updating the peoples here. You rock!

If you want to then you can. :) I don't mind either way. I just want lots of people to come. :p

Mia
01-23-2013, 09:58 PM
I'm not on often. I'll stick to the FB page...

Mermaid Pickles
01-29-2013, 10:07 PM
Might come, depends on whether I could find a way of getting there. BUT I WOULD SURE AS HADES TRY. (Percy Jackson books are killing my vocabulary. Hrm....I seem to be switching between mythologies here. I was being very Norse yesterday. Go figure.)

Mermaid Pickles
01-29-2013, 10:10 PM
And if you guys are actually going to do this, I could get a day off if I'd have to, but I'd still have to find someone to drive me there.

SweeteSiren
02-06-2013, 10:37 PM
Mermaid Pickles, if you can get to the Sugarland area, I'm sure we can set up a carpool. Fair warning though, my car's a mess...Soccer Mom Syndrome.

Gem Stone
02-07-2013, 02:38 PM
depending on where we have it, it could be on someones way to just pick you up quickly

Mermaid Hamant
02-11-2013, 11:15 AM
It will be harder for me to get to Padre, but I am going to try my best as well. Does anybody have any more news on the meetup planning? The Facebook page hasn't been updated in about a month or so.

Dacora
02-11-2013, 01:38 PM
It will be harder for me to get to Padre, but I am going to try my best as well. Does anybody have any more news on the meetup planning? The Facebook page hasn't been updated in about a month or so.

So far its all the same. I'm going to try to contact some hotels for a group deal since I haven't heard anything from Tanja yet.

Mermaid Pickles
02-18-2013, 07:50 PM
Since my mom's friends can't make the renfest they invited me to in March, I'll likely be able to get time off from work for this. >,O And if anyone would be driving through the Clear Lake/Nasa area, I could probably help pay for gas and food in exchange for a ride. >,O The benefits of having a job. >< ANd soccer mom syndrome doesn't bother me at all. Dealt with worse. >< So, at the moment, this trip is a MAYBE for me. ><

Mermaid Hamant
03-05-2013, 01:21 PM
Any more news? Getting closer to summer!

Dacora
03-05-2013, 03:39 PM
I am gonna start looking to see if I can find hotels in that area . If anyone who lives down there could help I would be grateful since I don't live near there. :)

Dacora
03-10-2013, 04:44 AM
Ok, would you guys rather find a hotel that does a group discount and we all stay in one hotel but different rooms or do we all just want to worry about finding a hotel ourselves and meet up somewhere?
I think we all worrying about finding a hotel on our own would be best because to book a group like that would be costly to whoever books it.

Mermaid Hamant
03-14-2013, 09:14 AM
Ok, would you guys rather find a hotel that does a group discount and we all stay in one hotel but different rooms or do we all just want to worry about finding a hotel ourselves and meet up somewhere?
I think we all worrying about finding a hotel on our own would be best because to book a group like that would be costly to whoever books it.
I think us all finding our own hotel sounds like a better plan. That way if people cancel at the last minute, it doesn't upset anything with the rooms.

Dacora
03-14-2013, 03:24 PM
That sounds like a good plan. We also need to figure out a place to meet up.

Mermaid Hamant
03-14-2013, 06:58 PM
I would have a better chance of going if it was in Galveston, but I could try Padre. Padre seems to be the more popular choice.

There are really only two sides to Padre right? I suppose we would have to choose a side, and then meet up at a restaurant or something. Then we could go to the ocean together.

Dacora
03-14-2013, 10:12 PM
I would have a better chance of going if it was in Galveston, but I could try Padre. Padre seems to be the more popular choice.

There are really only two sides to Padre right? I suppose we would have to choose a side, and then meet up at a restaurant or something. Then we could go to the ocean together.

You could always see if anyone wants to carpool with you.
Ill ask on the facebook page too. I like the restaurant idea.

Mermaid Hamant
03-22-2013, 03:07 PM
You could always see if anyone wants to carpool with you.
Ill ask on the facebook page too. I like the restaurant idea.

That's a good idea. I guess that would be up to my parents as to whether or not they would let me carpool with someone.

Mermaid Pickles
03-24-2013, 09:59 PM
And unfortunately, I'll not be going. Visiting a friend that weekend, since it's the only weekend we can get together.
Next time maybe, though!

Mia
03-26-2013, 04:34 PM
I can change the weekend. If I'm not mistaken, it's still up for debate. It'll be up for debate pretty much until more plans are made.

Mermaid Hamant
03-26-2013, 06:58 PM
If any of you haven't voted on the event polls on Facebook for the location or the dates, please do so! They are closing in one month.

Mermaid Pickles
03-26-2013, 08:24 PM
Okiedokie. And If anyone in houston can drive me if the date changes, that'd be nice. I'll help pay for gas and food.

Dacora
04-13-2013, 07:16 PM
So from what I see on the FB poll it looks like every place is tied with 3 votes. If you HAVE NOT voted on FB then do so here and I'll comment on the poll of what y'all want.

The places are:
South Padre
Galveston
Dallas

The months are
July(5 votes)
Late may (2 votes)
June (2 votes)
August(0 votes)

Polls close on may 20th guys!

Mermaid Pickles
04-25-2013, 11:32 AM
Now it may be possible for me again....I'd LOVE to go, I just need a set date by mid-may. I have to get time off of work ahead of the game if I want to do this.

Mia
04-26-2013, 01:36 AM
So, the polls are staying open a while longer. The date is pretty decisively July 13-14th (for now), but all three locations are tied. We will either be in Dallas, South Padre, or Galveston. You can vote for more than one, and I may revoke my vote for South Padre, but that poll in particular is not getting tallied up for a while.

Also, sorry about the page being more or less silent. School has been kicking my tail, and once I graduate, I'll be able to focus on this more exclusively

Mermaid Meko
05-04-2013, 12:18 AM
Hey Everyone,
My apologies for just completely disappearing.
Life got pretty weird and messy for awhile, but I am straightening things out.
I am on the road right now with the Scarbarogh RenFarie, so that has hampered planning a bit.
I am taking the weekend to catch up on all sorts of things Mer, so I should have more info for you soon!

SweeteSiren
05-08-2013, 07:05 PM
July 13 works for me; I'd prefer Galveston or Padre to Dallas. And of course, the quicker we ID a location, the cheaper we can get hotel rooms for. :)

Mermaid Pickles
05-08-2013, 08:20 PM
July 13 works for me; I'd prefer Galveston or Padre to Dallas. And of course, the quicker we ID a location, the cheaper we can get hotel rooms for. :)
Ack. The thirteenth I'm playing chaperon for my friend's little sister at a convention in Houston, but if it's an all weekend thing, and it's galveston, I could get down there. Meeerrrrr....I'm leaning more towards galveston....GALVESTONNNN... Haha, sorry, I'm really bored right now.

Taylor is a Mermaid
05-09-2013, 10:48 PM
If it's in Dallas, I'm 99% sure I can commit to being there. I don't think it's likely I can go if it's elsewhere, though, because I'm probably going to Merpalooza, and two trips in one summer is just too expensive.

Dacora
05-11-2013, 04:53 AM
Galveston and Padre is best for me. If its Dallas I can't go, but right now I might not be able to go at all due to money issues that just came up.
:(

Mermaid Hamant
05-13-2013, 10:05 PM
Either Galveston or Dallas would work for me. Preferably Dallas.

SweeteSiren
05-22-2013, 07:30 PM
OK, the polls are closed, right? What was the result? I'm not on Facebook anymore!

SweeteSiren
05-29-2013, 05:45 PM
Do we have an agreed location?

Dacora
05-29-2013, 06:06 PM
Kelley said she was going to use a generator to choose the location since they are still tied. But I have not heard anything yet.

SweeteSiren
06-10-2013, 06:20 PM
Well, I've already got that weekend earmarked for mermaiding, so whether we wind up with an event or not, I'm going somewhere to swim. Otherwise, it's too much of a let down for me to handle. :sad eyes: I hope we get a consensus though!

Lyna
06-10-2013, 09:55 PM
I'm almost equidistant from dallas and Galveston....well Galveston is further by an hour or so (not counting gtraffic) but the hubby is from south Houston Galveston area so I could probably make either happen...depending on day because of work

SweeteSiren
06-20-2013, 05:45 PM
We're only 3 weeks away from the chosen date, is there any word on a location?

If not, I was thinking about heading to the state park at Lake Somerville for the weekend. It's about midway between Houston, Austin & San Antonio. There is a campground right on the lake, and some relatively cheap hotels close by. I called the park & they said the water level is at 85% and clarity is fairly good around the Birch Creek area, so it could be a good place to swim.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/lake-somerville

If anyone hears anything from the organizers, please share!

SweeteSiren
07-08-2013, 06:23 PM
I know I'm nagging, so: last one, I promise! Are we doing anything this weekend?

Mermaid Hamant
07-31-2013, 10:16 PM
It was decided that the location was going to be in Huntsville last I heard.
And the date was moved again. The 17th I think?

Mia
08-02-2013, 09:43 PM
Yeah, sorry about that.
I may end up moving it back. I'm at a camp, and I had been called in for next week, which would've meant that it wasn't a weekend I could do. However, things have changed again, so it's about to be put back to this weekend.
Also, location I'm still working on. There's this place called the blue lagoon in Huntsville, which I really want to do it at, but if there are any better suggestions I'm up for it. I want to make it as easy for everyone to get to as possible, so please, message me, talk to me on facebook, tell me what ya'll want!

Mia
08-02-2013, 09:45 PM
Yeah, it is going to be the 10th and the 11th, and I am going to call the Blue Lagoon on Tuesday to see about having a group up there.

Mia
08-08-2013, 08:56 AM
Anyone plan on going? It's in two days.

Mia
08-08-2013, 09:36 AM
Cause this location?

Yeah, it is going to be the 10th and the 11th, and I am going to call the Blue Lagoon on Tuesday to see about having a group up there.
Yeah, it's a no go.
If someone else wants to plan or do something, please let me know, but right now, this is as good as dead.

SweeteSiren
08-08-2013, 06:01 PM
If we can reschedule for the 24th I can reserve a spot for us there, but I'm swamped until then.

Mia
08-08-2013, 10:09 PM
Contact them if you want and we'll go from there. For right now, I'm calling the attempt off. I'm frustrated, and I'm tired.

This weekend, though, I'm going to go to Galveston. I'm going to go to The Spot, on the Seawall, at 12:30. If anyone wants to come out, we'll wing it from there, and I will bring my tail in case we find a spot to swim on the island and decide to go that route.

*Edit: If anyone does show up, I'll have a squirt bottle on the table because it's Texas, summer, and 'dark hair, kind of chubby' describes a lot of women.

Dacora
08-08-2013, 11:19 PM
I wanted to go this year but plans fell though. I feel bad that this turned into a flop. Do you guys think it would be a good idea to go ahead and start planning for next year? I think that would give most of us some time to put money away for the trip(the reason I cant go this year -.- )and be able to set a date and give plenty of heads up. I dont mind being organizer but when it comes to going up to Dallas ill need help with it since I don't have much of an interest of going up that way.

Unless someone else wants to take the reigns on it im fine with it.

Gem Stone
08-09-2013, 08:11 AM
I want to but I'm going to have to opt out. we have a planned trip this fall/late summer and I can't skip it cause it's a family trip, but I also cant do more than one vacation this summer. but whoever goes have fun!

Mia
08-09-2013, 11:46 AM
Okay, so currently the idea is that we do two meet-up areas, galveston and dallas, and I'd be happy to work with you, Dacora, to get a Galveston one for some time before October, if you're up for it.

Mary Marine
08-09-2013, 01:37 PM
Do you guys think it would be a good idea to go ahead and start planning for next year? I think that would give most of us some time to put money away for the trip(the reason I cant go this year -.- )and be able to set a date and give plenty of heads up. I dont mind being organizer but when it comes to going up to Dallas ill need help with it since I don't have much of an interest of going up that way.

Next year sounds good and I'd be willing to help with the Dallas one since I'm in Irving.

When: If we do it next year, I'm pretty much open mid May through mid September. I assume we are looking at a weekend date so people can drive up on Saturday and leave Sunday. I'd prefer we not do it on a holiday weekend since the lakes will be super busy and I tend to work those, but if that's convenient for everyone else I'll work around that.

Location: Here's a list of lakes in the D/FW area: http://www.town-mall.net/community/texas_lakes.html I'll have to do some research on which ones you can swim in, water clarity, etc.

Hotels: I'm a AAA member. Once we decide on a location I can get a list of inexpensive hotels in the area.

Dacora
08-09-2013, 03:53 PM
Next year sounds good and I'd be willing to help with the Dallas one since I'm in Irving.

When: If we do it next year, I'm pretty much open mid May through mid September. I assume we are looking at a weekend date so people can drive up on Saturday and leave Sunday. I'd prefer we not do it on a holiday weekend since the lakes will be super busy and I tend to work those, but if that's convenient for everyone else I'll work around that.

Location: Here's a list of lakes in the D/FW area: http://www.town-mall.net/community/texas_lakes.html I'll have to do some research on which ones you can swim in, water clarity, etc.

Hotels: I'm a AAA member. Once we decide on a location I can get a list of inexpensive hotels in the area.

Sweetness. I'm gonna start a new thread next week with polls for voting on dates and locations. I agree on the holidays, I would rather not have it on a holiday weekend or week since ill be with family or working. But we shall leave it up to the pod to vote on dates and such.
Ill post here abd in fb with the thread link when its set up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Mia
08-10-2013, 01:44 PM
As a quick note, if anyone's going, coming, or currently at Galveston, I'm in The Spot by the door.