PDA

View Full Version : The search for a special fx editor

Mermaid Saphira
12-30-2012, 04:39 PM
So, for awhile now I have been in search of a special fx movie editing software. I haven't been able to find anything that, I know, has what I want. I was wondering if maybe some of you might be able to lend a fin? Basically what I need is something that will make it appear as if I was, say...bending water, catching something on fire, instantly freezing something or turning someone to magic water or levitating bubbles??? Nothing fancy, just realistic enough to not look like....balls.:rolleyes: I don't have a very large budget so anything under $100 is good??? So any suggestions or recommendations? I'm new to this and there are so many options that I just don't know..please help :)

Mermaid Saphira
12-30-2012, 04:57 PM
Was researching fx editors and I swam across something called.... debugmode wax 2.0. ......it says it is free? Is it dependable? I also found Corel video studio, adobe premiere elements, and pinnacle studio....are any of these close to what I want???

Mermaid Annariea
12-30-2012, 06:18 PM
i wish i could help, but i don't know anything about that stuff :(

good luck though!!

Mermaid Saphira
12-30-2012, 07:06 PM
i wish i could help, but i don't know anything about that stuff :(

good luck though!!

Ah, that's okay :/ thanQ anyway :)

Mermaid Momo
12-30-2012, 07:53 PM
Have you looked at Sony Vegas?

Mermaid Saphira
12-30-2012, 07:57 PM
There are many Sony vegas editors... O_o

Mermaid Momo
12-30-2012, 08:28 PM
Try looking around YouTube for the one that best fits what you need

Mermaid Saphira
12-30-2012, 08:38 PM
That is the problem...I only know what I need it to do, I don't know what I want nor do I see it anywhere T_T I'm sorry if I come off as whiny... this is just frustrating and confusing

Fifi Tigg
12-30-2012, 11:06 PM
If it was just for images your best free editor is picmonkey.com not sure about video? :thinks:

Spindrift
12-30-2012, 11:36 PM
You're looking for Adobe Premiere (not elements), Adobe After Effects, and Sony Vegas.

Out of those 3, After Effects is probably the most comprehensive of the stuff you want. Smosh uses it in their videos.

Blondie
12-31-2012, 02:46 AM
I've worked in TV for four years now. I'm an intern currently at a small network. One of the best programs you can get for special effects is Adobe After Affects. All of the Adobe products are fantastic. I'd help you out but I'm not very up to par with my graphics :\

Mermaid Saphira
12-31-2012, 12:37 PM
If it was just for images your best free editor is picmonkey.com not sure about video? :thinks: It doesn't have to be free, just under $100. ThanQ for you help anyway, I may look into picmonkey ;)

Capt Nemo
12-31-2012, 12:40 PM
I'd agree on Vegas, though you would need a graphics/animation plug-in product to go with it. I currently use Vegas 10.

Mermaid Saphira
12-31-2012, 12:43 PM
I've worked in TV for four years now. I'm an intern currently at a small network. One of the best programs you can get for special effects is Adobe After Affects. All of the Adobe products are fantastic. I'd help you out but I'm not very up to par with my graphics :\

(@Spindrift as well...) From what I have researched....majority of the adobe editors are hundreds of dollars out of my budget. I am strictly set on $100 and under. Perhaps I am looking att something wrong?? Does abode offer editors that work well under $100?? ThanQ for your help :)

Mermaid Momo
12-31-2012, 12:47 PM
There are of course *cough* free downloads* that you can find on YouTube or you can download the free trials and once they run out uninstall it and re install it

Mermaid Saphira
12-31-2012, 12:52 PM
There are of course *cough* free downloads* that you can find on YouTube or you can download the free trials and once they run out uninstall it and re install it

Oddly enough, I was just considering this :lol: I would rather not go for the "free downloads" as I have too many accidents with things like that, but the continuous install and reinstall of a trail might work!

Mermaid Saphira
12-31-2012, 01:03 PM
http://www.debugmode.com/wax/ ?????

Blondie
01-02-2013, 04:32 AM
Yes there are free one month trials xD But sadly it is an expensive product...

Spindrift
01-02-2013, 05:03 AM
I have the complete Adobe Creative Suite for $15 USD because I lived in Asia for several years. There are definitely ways to get around things, and you can er... pirate, if you know how to. Does eBay do stuff for programs?

Zelly
01-08-2013, 01:46 AM
I used to have this really cool particle/effects creator. I just can't remember the name of the product right now. I got it for free from a vfx friend a few years back before the hard drive I used to have crashed. I will message it to you if I remember.
Sadly I can't think of any realistic editors for under $100. I do know Maya makes some real nice water effects and Houdini is supposed to be pretty good. I personally use After Effects for editing and compositing. I also search resource libraries for the effects themselves.
You can get a sample download of the Adobe Suite and ask around for a code. It's not exactly the most legal way to do things but it's the easiest way to get your hands on it.