PDA

View Full Version : House breaking tricks, anyone?

melbel1023
08-10-2011, 07:08 PM
Hello all, I have a small problem...her name is Lily lol. She's my spaniel/shiba inu mix, the short, white dog (seen in the thread: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?74-Post-Pictures-of-Your-Pets/page2&highlight=pets )
She is roughly 3 yrs old, we rescued her from a shelter less than a year ago - they advised us that she was kept as an outdoor dog, and we never properly housebroken.
I said, "No problem," and adopted her anyway.

....I am beginning to regret those words, they seemed to have jinxed me!
She absolutely refuses to go potty outside while on the leash! I have tried timing her usual "go" time, I have kept a close eye on her for (what my mother calls) the "high sign," and I've even used baby suppositories to encourage her to go outside. Sure, everything works for awhile, but then she has more and more accidents in the apartment! And we have carpeting, and NO rug shampooer - I try to clean whenever I can, but I often can't tell there has been an accident until I either A) Step in it or B) it dries and makes the whole place smell.

I've owned several dogs in my life, even breeding and rearing a litter of west highland terriers without any major potty-training issues. Lily is an enigma to me, and its starting to get on my last nerve.
Does anyone out there have any suggestions or pointers? I'm considering buying a crate for her when my next pay-day comes around (a lot of people suggest crating).

AniaR
08-10-2011, 09:45 PM
crate training. Seriously. It's not just good for house breaking it's good for lots. It's best to get a book to learn how to do it and really stick with it. We have had all types of dogs and crate train them and my stepmom has even done it for other families and it works wonders.

Odette
08-11-2011, 01:05 AM
you posted to the right place! im a veterinary assistant. first you need to check if she may have a health problem.is it mostly urine or fecal matter? does she scoot? any known allergies? ill ask the vet for more options on friday.

Taylor is a Mermaid
08-11-2011, 02:14 AM
crate training. Seriously. It's not just good for house breaking it's good for lots. It's best to get a book to learn how to do it and really stick with it. We have had all types of dogs and crate train them and my stepmom has even done it for other families and it works wonders.
I second that. We crate trained my 3-year-old Boxer and it's worked pretty well. Also my chihuahua is even more stubborn and has a very what-have-you-done-for-me-lately attitude, so I know this sounds stupid, but I gave her treats and praise for going potty outside, lol. That worked pretty well for her, but it still took time. Good luck!

melbel1023
08-11-2011, 02:14 PM
I tried the treat thing, but Lily is also (no shocker here) a very picky eater, and won't take treats during a walk. I praise her like its the Macy's Thanksgiving parade, but I just don't think she gets it...
She had a vet check up not too long ago, and everything was fine. She does both messes equally.

AniaR
08-12-2011, 09:05 AM
crate really is the way to go because they wont mess in such a small confined place. it's hard at first because they typically wine and cry, but if you can get through that it's the best way to deal with many issues and it can prevent many others. Using a pavlov response will help too if you invest in a "clicker" everytime she goes to the bathroom if you use the clicker she'll eventually associate it so when you want her to go you use the clicker and she will.

We've trained a lot of dogs that way, our rottweiler was the best dog in the world and very perfectly behaved her whole life.

Taylor is a Mermaid
08-14-2011, 04:45 AM
I tried the treat thing, but Lily is also (no shocker here) a very picky eater, and won't take treats during a walk. I praise her like its the Macy's Thanksgiving parade, but I just don't think she gets it...
She had a vet check up not too long ago, and everything was fine. She does both messes equally.
Ugh, I had that problem with Sasha, my boxer. She is picky and will only eat in the safety of her own home and only certain things if she's hungry enough. I feel your pain. I second what Raina said though, crate training works so well.