PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else really scared by swimming at night?

MerEmma
01-05-2013, 09:51 PM
For the first time since October, I was able to swim tonight! It was cold out by the beach at my grandma's hotel and all, but the pool was warm. Thing was, I had my fins and goggles, but the darkness was still really scary. The deck wasn't lit and the pool was lit well except in the corners, but the bright lights still looked really eerie to me as well. I was really scared, so I got out instead of swimming as much as I would have like. Granted, I have a huge fear of not being able to see (darkness, blindness, going backwards, etc.) and I did some tricks I know to try and calm myself down to assure myself there was nothing in this hotel pool at a mere 8:00, but still, I tried so hard and couldn't calm down to enjoy my swim. Does anyone else experience this? I really wish it wasn't so frightening.

Mermaid Annariea
01-05-2013, 11:43 PM
i can see why it would frighten you, i bet it probably would have helped if the deck was lit. also, having a swimming buddy helps too (:

Ayla of Duluth
01-06-2013, 02:13 AM
I'm not afraid of swimming at night, but I do have an irrational fear of those big pool lights they put in the deep end of the pool. I don't know why. They're harmless.
Im also afraid of the gutters and any other form of water intake that pools have. The drains at the bottom have always spooked me. I still don't have a way of getting over that fear.

Coradion
01-06-2013, 03:45 AM
Only if I don't have a light. Night diving is fun though, so many more animals are out that you wouldn't normally see. It's one of the best times to hunt octopus or collect faster moving species.

Mermaid Caidence
01-06-2013, 04:24 AM
I'm not so scared of the darkness, (Okay for oceans I am)but mostly the drains at the bottom of the pool and hot tub. I've heard many stories about kids getting stuck on them and not be able to swim up. And then there was that one episode on a thousand ways to die. :jawdrop:

Blondie
01-06-2013, 04:50 AM
I love night swimming in a pool at night. It's soooo perfect.

I'd never go night swimming at a beach though >< I've heard too many stories. And my father used to fish off shore at night. The things he'd catch made me NEVER want to go out at night in the ocean xD

MerEmma
01-06-2013, 11:07 AM
i can see why it would frighten you, i bet it probably would have helped if the deck was lit. also, having a swimming buddy helps too (:

Yeah, I agree. Those two things probably would have changed it completely. Unfortunately, my sister wouldn't come out because the air was so chilly and I don't even think the deck does light up. xD

And about the pool gutters, I used to have a lot of fear with those when I was younger...never swam over or around them, and I still avoid diving down to them, though. My hair is shorter now, so I don't avoid them as much.

Mermaid Allie
01-06-2013, 12:43 PM
I would never swim in the ocean at night. One word. SHARK. I love sharks but I don't think I would want to be near a hungry one. But I actually love swimming in pools at night. I feel like the lights are like moonlight it's so cool! I feel like I'm at mako island :))

OceanicStory
01-06-2013, 03:08 PM
The thing about swimming at night is that everything seems unusually quiet, as if you aren't supposed to be there, the water appears so abyssal in the blackness, and, often, the water just feels so much colder. Basically, it just doesn't feel as welcoming as swimming in the daylight, and others are right in saying it can be dangerous.

If you know the water well, you might be okay, since you know where everything is, but otherwise, it's probably a little risky without any extra light.

Bellasea
01-06-2013, 05:09 PM
I love night swimming. It is much more peaceful with less people. My friends and I camp out on the beach all the time during the summer and we always go night swimming. We usually do when the moon is almost full so that we have more light to see and we can watch a cooler moon set.