PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Jesse?

MerEmma
01-08-2013, 11:08 AM
I haven't seen him anywhere. Is he making tails right now, or...? He doesn't post on his Facebook and his website never seems to be updated. I'm just kind of curious about where he's been, really.

Mermaid Saphira
01-08-2013, 11:51 AM
good question! He must be a very busy man or....

AniaR
01-08-2013, 12:27 PM
He is making tails like a mad man, and he took a holiday vacation in Florida :)

NerineArcticMermaid
01-08-2013, 04:03 PM
Yep.. I spoke to him before he headed back home. He has alot of tails to work ok.. He is still around.. He got popular really fast!!!

MerEmma
01-08-2013, 04:13 PM
He sure did! :b I'm glad he's doing okay.

MermanJesse
07-13-2013, 03:27 AM
Yes...

Working my tail off!

Had a death in the family, and issues with mono fins tearing flukes. Both of which have put me a bit behind schedule.

Carolina Mermaid
07-13-2013, 09:25 AM
Awww Jesse, I'm so sorry.

malinghi
07-13-2013, 12:25 PM
I'm glad business is booming, and I'm sorry for your loss.

Theta
07-13-2013, 01:29 PM
Sending comforting thoughts your way, Jesse!

Mermaid Dottie
07-13-2013, 03:00 PM
I'm sure you'll get the monofin issue worked out fine. I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my brother a year ago, so I feel you.

OrcaMatt
07-20-2013, 10:54 AM
You mean like tearing along the edge of the monofin? I always wondered if that would happen.

Mermaid Zaffiro
09-04-2013, 08:01 AM
Oh no,Jesse,I'm sorry for your loss…I send to you an oversea hug! I'm glad business is going very well!

merkitty
08-07-2014, 01:02 AM
I know this thread isn't recent, but i'm not sure if I should post in a new thread or just make a comment here as it has to do with the same subject. I made a payment for a tail 6 months ago to Jesse because I heard his communication with his costumers was great, But in the last six months I've had zero contact despite the numerous messages I've sent hoping for an update. I know he made a post on facebook saying he was busy with work in may, but has anyone had any contact with him recently?

AniaR
08-07-2014, 10:19 AM
you havent heard anything in 6 months?? I know christian had a really hard time getting a hold of him too :( sorry

NerineArcticMermaid
08-07-2014, 11:47 AM
I got a message from him a few days ago since I will be needing to get my tail taken in. I know he is also working at a rollercoaster park.

merkitty
08-07-2014, 11:47 AM
Yeah, after the payment he hasn't said anything, I tried to email him as well. I'm not sure what to do, this was supposed to be my first tail... I did my research about him on here and everything about him was positive so I figured it would be safe to buy from him. I'm hoping I haven't been scammed, he seems to be a trusted part of mernetwork but I don't know... If anyone can give me some advice on what to do it would be very much appreciated!

NerineArcticMermaid
08-07-2014, 11:51 AM
Don't worry. He will not scam you. Try him on Facebook maybe? Just keep messaging him..put in subject payment sent. But you know he won't start on tail until full payment is received.

AniaR
08-07-2014, 12:07 PM
He wont scam you but I know that Christian waited a really long time with no contact and is waiting for his second one now too.

merkitty
08-07-2014, 12:17 PM
I tried him on facebook, where we originally spoke and then recently tried email but no luck. I made the full payment, plus shipping. If you mers think its alright then I wont worry so much, thanks for reassuring me, Ill just wait it out. :)

Raayvhen
08-07-2014, 12:20 PM
If you're really worried maybe try sending a physical letter to the address listed on his Facebook?

NerineArcticMermaid
08-07-2014, 12:32 PM
I can try and contact him. I'll see if I can get him to respond here at least.

merkitty
08-07-2014, 12:32 PM
I think I will try mailing him as a last resort, but I'm hoping I wont have to. Ill wait a few more weeks and hopefully hear from him soon.

merkitty
08-07-2014, 12:35 PM
I can try and contact him. I'll see if I can get him to respond here at least.

That would be really great, thankyou for helping me out!

NerineArcticMermaid
08-07-2014, 02:19 PM
ok. I messaged him on his personal page. hopefully he will check in with you. I bet its just he is super busy and he does has a long wait list. Did he give you a date for completion? usually its months and months out.

I was lucky to get a tail from him before he got so popular. So back them communication was easier as he had less clients to work with. He will deliver. Just give him time. I know its hard. :D

merkitty
08-07-2014, 11:52 PM
Yeah, last I heard he said he would be starting around August, so I just wanted an update as to where I am on his list of tail customers. Thank you so much for your help. I'm super excited for whats to come even though I've had a bit of a rocky start. I'm glad I had mernetwork to turn to before I went crazy with worry.

AniaR
08-08-2014, 12:27 AM
waiting 6 months and not started til August? whoa

merkitty
08-08-2014, 12:34 AM
I bought the tail from his sale and he said that he wasn't planning on starting them until August. I thought it was a pretty far off date but the price and positive reviews convinced me to take the opportunity anyways. Hope I wont be let down :s

AniaR
08-08-2014, 12:50 AM
Well he's never scammed anyone he's a good guy. I think he's just wrapped up in a very busy and draining job right now.

MerMatt
08-08-2014, 11:15 AM
I agree with both Nerine and Raina. He can be really busy. Heck I ordered my tail from him in April of 2013 and had a production slot for December of the same year. Due to life and work and weather, my tail slowly came together over the first couple months of this year and finally was completed in the first week of March 2014.

AniaR
08-08-2014, 11:56 AM
I think Jesse, like Raven, wanted really badly to make people's dreams come true and tried to do that. but a lot of tail makers who have good intentions bite off more than they can chew. When you have a full time job and a life it can get crazy. Waiting almost a year for a tail seems crazy but it can happen. I bet Jesse has a much better understanding now of what he can handle and what he cant (like raven had to go through). Its hard for these tail makers who work all by themselves.

Meshy
08-09-2014, 01:59 PM
I also had a tough time getting any info from him as well. I paid for mine in late February/early March (I think), but he contacted me yesterday and will be starting my tail soon (was supposed to be started sometime in July), I'm sure he's just busy, we all have lives and I totally understand that crap happens and time can get away from you. He's not a fan of Facebook, but I do get our side of it and that he probably could use it more to at least get a simple message out there that he's still alive, ok, and working on things. I was getting worried I was getting scammed as well. But we're not, at least from what I've heard from him, he's not forgotten us, we've just been delayed a bit. It sucks, but I also understand that this process can take a while and he doesn't want to give us something defective or bad.

Samantha Siren
08-10-2014, 04:58 AM
I was i the same boat MerKitty as my tail was meant to arrive in May/June but then due to his job at the park it was held back to Aug/Sept, so I waited a good two months from the last time I messaged him and sent a Facebook email the other day. He told me that the par is starting to get quiet and we can discuss my tail next week. Now mine has not been made yet but seeing has my tail was number 12 in the list 2 months ago I doubt you will have too much time to wait to get yours. Don't worry you will get t.

Sherielle
08-14-2014, 10:19 AM
I purchased a used tail but it was originally made and modified by him. I wanted to contact him incase I have any issues with the tail. I originally had no response from him when I messaged him here and on Facebook. He did finally respond when I sent an email. He was very nice. I hope he isn't being crazy overworked. that sucks.
I wonder if it's the same type of situation as when I do custom orders for my jewelry business? I have found that I am less motivated to do custom work because the original idea of it didn't come from me. Not to say that I don't enjoy them and I have found new ideas that I would have never thought about while doing them, but to get started on them takes me a little longer than the stuff I make for stock. I am in no way comparing my little jewelry business to making silicone tails. Especially those whose main business is custom work. I'm just wondering if when life gets in the way it's harder to get going on custom stuff.

MermaidCelesteFL
08-14-2014, 08:13 PM
I've had a few problems with Jesse, his correspondence being at the top of my list. He had me send him my concept for my tail at least four times, never told me that he didn't do airbrush or metallics or skintones, but took my commission anyways- and I ended up with a less than satisfactory product. It was /relatively/ close to what I had drawn, but I really wish that he could have sent me progress pictures or something to let me know how the tail was coming along. The project just looked.... rushed.

Either way, I'm just glad I have a tail. But I wouldn't go back to him to have repairs done or anything without expecting several months wait.

merkitty
08-15-2014, 12:07 AM
Thank you for everymers input! There has been contact, but nothing substantial. Just one email one received last week asking for my paypal email so he could check to see who I am/where I am in his logs. Ive emailed him twice since then with no reply but I am going to be patient about this seeing as this is how he works. My tail is going to be one of the plain basic one colour tails, so Im not expecting anything too spectacular, just a nice beginner silicone tail.

Samantha Siren
09-25-2014, 07:18 AM
Soooooo anyone had any news on their tails?

Sherielle
09-25-2014, 11:41 AM
I saw on FB that Jesse had a death in the family. I'm sure that set tails back a bit.

AniaR
09-25-2014, 12:12 PM
It really helps future owners if more people who currently have tails post reviews btw ;)

merkitty
09-25-2014, 01:59 PM
Nope, when he finally did contact me on the 24th of august he was just passing by and said he would talk to me on the 26th, but then he never contacted me again. I saw his facebook post, but i also noticed it said he would be back around the 23rd this month. I emailed him with condolences and asked him to get back to me as soon as he gets a chance. Haven't heard anything yet but I understand he is going through a hard time so I shall wait some more.

Edit: Yeah it would be great if there were more reviews! I've only seen 3-4, I tried to dig around but I just keep seeing the same reviews.

MerMatt
09-25-2014, 04:00 PM
I am not really a writer so to post a proper review would be alot of work. I much rather just comment when needed.

Sherielle
09-25-2014, 04:05 PM
I posted my review. Just waiting for it to get approved. It's short but sweet

merkitty
09-25-2014, 04:09 PM
Can you tell me if you are having any problems with the permawet layer peeling off? I am a bit concerned about it, Ive seen it on Raina's tail but hers was one of the first Jesse made. I want to know if there has been any problems with more recent tails.

Sherielle
09-25-2014, 04:13 PM
It is peeling off near the fluke. It doesn't bother me because it sort of looks like a tail would look if it shed some of it's scales. It doesn't look bad.

AniaR
09-25-2014, 05:08 PM
I have seen more in person at merfest, and I know more peels off over time and becomes problematic because it can take layers of colour with it.

merkitty
10-02-2014, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the info! I'm not quite sure what I can do, I know that I will be upgrading to another tail in 3-5 years after this one so I hope it will last. I wanted to paint the tail because it is going to be a single tone blue colour... any ideas on what I can do? Its okay if its even temporary I don't mind repainting it frequently. I would probably just use white to blend it and give some fading to the blue.

Also, I've looked around for your review Aurelia but I cant find it, I'm not sure how long approval usually takes so I'm not sure if its even up yet. Edit: Sorry! Apparently I didnt look hard enough because just after posting this I found it. D'oh :blush:

No update from Jesse yet.

AniaR
10-02-2014, 04:28 PM
Maybe ask him not to put put perma wet on so you can repaint it as you go. There's really no need for perma wet, people just like the wet look.

sandieng
12-14-2014, 04:08 AM
I know this thread isn't recent, but i'm not sure if I should post in a new thread or just make a comment here as it has to do with the same subject. I made a payment for a tail 6 months ago to Jesse because I heard his communication with his costumers was great, But in the last six months I've had zero contact despite the numerous messages I've sent hoping for an update. I know he made a post on facebook saying he was busy with work in may, but has anyone had any contact with him recently?

Merkitty, I've the same problem as yours - I made a payment for a tail 1 year ago! No news is heard from Jesse so far :mad:
Have you take any action to urge for refund? Or if you've heard of anyone suing refund from Jesse?

sandieng
12-14-2014, 04:14 AM
ok. I messaged him on his personal page. hopefully he will check in with you. I bet its just he is super busy and he does has a long wait list. Did he give you a date for completion? usually its months and months out.

I was lucky to get a tail from him before he got so popular. So back them communication was easier as he had less clients to work with. He will deliver. Just give him time. I know its hard. :D

Nerinethemermaid, I just know that Merkitty can finally contact Jesse and get her tail started making. I wish to know if you're willing to help me contact Jesse - I made payment 1 year ago. From the past record he did not scam payment and that's why I hope someone can help me to contact him and have my tail re-started.
I'd made HALF payment only and I'm not sure if this is the only reason Jesse does not start doing my tail.
My personal email is 'dannysandie@yahoo.com.hk'. I hope you can drop me an email and I'll include all exchanges of information between Jesse and I.
I look forward to hearing from you!

sandieng
12-14-2014, 04:16 AM
Thanks for the info! I'm not quite sure what I can do, I know that I will be upgrading to another tail in 3-5 years after this one so I hope it will last. I wanted to paint the tail because it is going to be a single tone blue colour... any ideas on what I can do? Its okay if its even temporary I don't mind repainting it frequently. I would probably just use white to blend it and give some fading to the blue.

Also, I've looked around for your review Aurelia but I cant find it, I'm not sure how long approval usually takes so I'm not sure if its even up yet. Edit: Sorry! Apparently I didnt look hard enough because just after posting this I found it. D'oh :blush:

No update from Jesse yet.

Merkitty, I'm glad to know that you can contact Jesse finally. I wish to know if you have more contact details of Jesse? (not just his hotmail). I wish to contact him directly for the payment I'd made and I wish to have making of my tail started.
Many thanks! :)

merkitty
12-14-2014, 01:48 PM
I talked with Jesse and asked for a refund as I cant see myself being happy with the tail I would receive from him, I need to get a tail from someone who will communicate with me every now and then. The only places Ive been able to contact him is his email and his facebook through the chat. I messaged and emailed him a few times (way too many if you ask me) before he answered. I felt like I was being an annoying customer but honestly any costumer in the world would want some info and be worried about whats going on with their money! He has started to refund me in small increments, but not on schedule as he promised. I understand that he is having some trouble with his work/personal life so I am trying not to be too in his face about everything. I am slightly worried because I know he is starting to refund other people as well so I'm hoping I get my full refund so I can finally buy my dream tail! I dont think there is a need for a lawsuit as he is working on all his tail orders/refunds so all you need to do is just send a few emails/messages until you get a response. Its better to be annoying then to be ignored.

Samantha Siren
12-30-2014, 12:58 PM
Does anyone know what Jesse is up to? I know it's been Christmas but the guy has been silent for a fortnight and I am losing out on work because of him? Anyone know if he is alive cause I am one hacked off fish :mad:

merkitty
12-30-2014, 01:48 PM
I haven't heard back from him since December 4th and its pretty annoying because he is supposed to be refunding me every 2 weeks... I can't buy my dream tail from else where until I get my refund. I feel your pain! :thumbdown:

PearlieMae
12-30-2014, 01:57 PM
If you have a paypal account, send him an invoice.

Samantha Siren
12-30-2014, 04:20 PM
It is gtting to the point that even though I have waited almost a bloody year, I am going to demand a refund cause I have another reliable tail maker who I know will do a good job. I have been so patient with him but I feel it is getting thrown right back i my face! I know I am not the only one who feels the same way!

sandieng
12-31-2014, 02:01 AM
It is gtting to the point that even though I have waited almost a bloody year, I am going to demand a refund cause I have another reliable tail maker who I know will do a good job. I have been so patient with him but I feel it is getting thrown right back i my face! I know I am not the only one who feels the same way!

Hi, Samantha, I'm new in the mermaid world and I wish to get a new tail. What's the name of the reliable tailmaker you mentioned? Thanks a lot!
Wish you a happy new year!

Samantha Siren
12-31-2014, 02:27 AM
There are many, what is your budget?

merkitty
12-31-2014, 04:51 PM
He is back! Got an email, apology and payment. Im wishing you luck with your tail! I am also trying to figure out who to get a tail from, I am looking for a lower price point tail. The best price Ive found so far that seem like they are reliable is mernation with their single colour $1200 tails. Do you have any other recommendations?

Merman Arion
12-31-2014, 04:55 PM
Sirenalia is proposing silicone tails for 1800$ only.
It's a bit more expensive but you will get a great floppy fluke and detailed coloring on your tail.

Mermaid Harmony
12-31-2014, 05:27 PM
I like her coloring on her tails as well, she does good work.

PearlieMae
12-31-2014, 05:55 PM
Mermaid Jessica makes awesome tails in that price range, too. Also, Jazz of Purple Rainbow Tails.

Samantha Siren
12-31-2014, 06:01 PM
I could not reccomend Jessica more. I have a top from her and it is stunning. Her tails are even better. I'd go with her!

merkitty
01-01-2015, 03:00 AM
Thanks for all your recommendations, Does anyone have a link to mermaid Jessicas website?

Samantha Siren
01-01-2015, 03:15 AM
She doesn't have one she works through Facebook.https://m.facebook.com/themermaidjessica

merkitty
01-01-2015, 03:22 AM
Thanks!

MermaidBonnie
01-06-2015, 10:05 PM
Jessica Mer made my top and it is fantastic! She is a doll to work with! I highly recommend her!

AniaR
01-06-2015, 10:31 PM
saw her work at merfest, amazing.

merkitty
01-06-2015, 10:53 PM
I messaged her last week asking for prices but haven't gotten a reply yet, could someone PM me some price info or her email?

Mermaid Wesley
01-06-2015, 10:55 PM
She's been busy with merfest. I'm sure she'll get back to you soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samantha Siren
01-07-2015, 03:45 AM
Her tails start at $1800 then more for extra fins. I cannot wait to get a tail from her!

Oh and last night I found out that after Jesse said he had poured my scales he had actually in fact poured 1 side of the fluke scales so about the size of an A5/piece of paper. That took him 3 weeks. *FacePalm*

PearlieMae
01-07-2015, 09:00 AM
My Mer-Daughter Jessica makes amazing tails and she won the Merfest Tail competition! Definitely get in touch with her!

Jessica
01-07-2015, 10:11 AM
Merkitty, I think I just found your msg on fb:) I get tons of msgs and sometimes they get buried! For anyone who is curious...I do sell tails starting at $1800+shipping. I charge extra for custom sculpting and for extra fins.

thank you so much for all the compliments on my work you guys! It means a lot! I really enjoy tailmaking (it's addictive!)

Poseidon
01-15-2015, 12:10 AM
Merkitty, Jesse told me the same thing that he would be sending my refund in payments every two weeks, I'm supposed to get the first one tomorrow. He was only going to give me half of it and charge me for the cost of the silicone, but I held my ground until he caved in to the price I wanted. Good luck with yours and please let me know if he doesn't follow through.

-Merman Christian

Samantha Siren
01-15-2015, 05:13 AM
Also kitty dont be sweet with him. I have been for Months and he has walked all over me. It wasn't until the other night when he showed me the disgusting colour of the scales he had done that I got seriously angry and demanded he do it again. He tried to get out of it with excuses and trying to the play the "I told you I did it" game to make me look like I was in the wrong, but like Chris stood my ground and he is redoing the tail completely. Do not give him any leway because he will try and take the piss over and over again.

merkitty
01-15-2015, 12:20 PM
He has only given me three very untimely refunds since October, which is definitely not every two weeks. My refund should have been done by now but its not even half way done by now. I received about a third of it so far. I don't want to be too rude to him as I know he is going through hard times and he is refunding me, I also don't want to offend him and then not receive payments >.> Its been two weeks since the last payment and yet another email I will have to send him requesting a payment instead of him just refunding me when he says he will! I think I will start invoicing him through paypal.

Samantha Siren
01-15-2015, 01:25 PM
I hate to say it but that soft approach is going to get you nowhere. At the end of the day you are the customer and you are the one missing out on work because he cannot do his job. You should not have to suffer for his hard times because at the end of the day you have given him money which he has blatantly not spent on supplies. If he did you would have had your tail and now does not have the money to pay you back. When someone has your money the risk of offending them means nothing! You trusted him to provide a service and he has failed to do it and now he is failing to pay the money he ows you! Jesse is a lovely guy but a poor business man and it is no ones fault but his own that he is in this mess.

merkitty
01-15-2015, 01:41 PM
Hopefully the invoices will help with him being on time from now on. I really wish I could go back in time and stop myself from ordering from him. But that is not possible and now I must deal with the consequences...

Samantha Siren
01-15-2015, 02:03 PM
Kitty please stop blaming yourself. You shouldn't have to deal with anything! Because we are such a tight community sometimes people are afraid to stand up for themselves when they have royally been screwed over! You don't deserve to be left disappointed. You have to think it is Your hard earned money that has gone towards something you have dreamed about and how dare he deprive you of that. Whether it be a tail from him or from someone else!

PearlieMae
01-15-2015, 03:24 PM
He's lucky you don't sue him.

merkitty
01-16-2015, 12:24 AM
Ohhh, I hope it doesnt have to come to that and he will refund me as timely as possible from now on. I am trying not to blame myself but I am so flustered about all of this. I know it isn't my fault. I cant sit down and cry about it, I gotta keep on swimming! Jessica's tails are very lovely but slightly out of my price range, I am going to go with Mernation (their $1200 with some fins), does anyone have any advice if they are a good choice? I've seen some good reviews on them, I don't believe there is any current issues with them recently. I am planning on road tripping down to Florida all the way from Toronto to pick it up when the time comes.

merkitty
01-27-2015, 12:25 AM
So.... I'm getting really, really, REALLY upset. Its been a month since the last payment. Ive sent him multiple emails and messages on facebook as well, I've sent him an invoice on paypal. He is supposed to be paying me back every 2 weeks. Clearly this isn't working out. Can anyone who knows how to get into contact with him please help me out here? Mailing him a letter isn't an option as it will take very long.. although all of this is taking very long anyways.

merkitty
01-27-2015, 12:42 AM
I don't know why but today is my breaking point, I want to scream, shout, cry and pull all my hair out. I am SO frustrated SO unhappy. I want this man to pay my back my money. I deserve way more then what I have received from this disgusting ordeal. I should receive more money then I've given him for all this trouble I've gone through. Hes been keeping and has used my money that was meant for my tail which has never been made and for some reason it is taking months over months to return what is rightfully mine. He couldn't update me about my tail for months and he cant even return my money for months WHAT GIVES!?!

I could be happy and have my tail from a REPUTABLE tail maker by now and have gotten many gigs and be the happiest mermaid I can be instead I am swearing at Jesse to my cat. Literally at the point of tears. I hope no one else has to go through this, although I know many people who've ordered from him already are.
This is disgusting, he is a terrible business man. He should feel terrible about how big of a mistake he has made and how much trouble he has put so many people through. I never could have thought that I would let anyone make me feel this way but lo and behold some random ass guy I gave my money to expecting happiness has given me this. I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO! :soap box:

Im sorry for the ranting Im just so god damned FURIOUS. T___________T

AniaR
01-27-2015, 01:15 AM
Time for people to post reviews for sure

Samantha Siren
01-27-2015, 12:55 PM
He has told me my tail shod be finished in 3 weeks so when it arrives I will be writing a VERY honest review!

merkitty
01-28-2015, 02:25 AM
I would like to ask anyone that knows Jesse if they could please message Jesse and make him bad for actively ignoring me for a month? It isnt a very nice request to make, But the more people that I can get to message him, of whose messages he will actually read (because he wont even look at mine when he sees my name) would be better and possibly guilt trip him into actually messaging me back and refunding me. Thanks!

Samantha Siren
01-28-2015, 06:05 PM
So this is whatI sent him this afternoon.

Jesse,

I have been reading some very troubling information about how you are not paying back Anna. The poor girl is at her wit's end because you are completely ignoring her. She is desperate to get her mernations tail and she can't because you have failed to pay her the money you should have refunded months ago.
If this is true then your behavior is disgusting, you should be ashamed.

If you don't have the money at least be a man an admit it to her rather than hiding like a coward because right now Jesse you are being portrayed as a thief and you are doing nothing to help yourself to prove that false.

I am telling you this because poor Anna has no one else to turn to. She feels like you have stolen her money and that is not fair.

You don't need to reply to this but you had better send her an email apologising and informing her about when she will be getting her refund.

In regards to my tail, I hope construction is going well and I would like to see some pictures at the weekend.

Regards

Sam

MermaidCelesteFL
01-28-2015, 07:56 PM
I think that was succinctly put. I am sorry to say this, but I still doubt he will respond.

merkitty
01-28-2015, 09:27 PM
I feel like I'm going to throw up... I've gotten a hold of a few more ways to contact him but he is still ignoring me. I don't think he is going to pay me back. I think hes planning on keeping the rest of my refund, which is $400. I need that money for my new tail. I don't know what to do... I was told that Jesse wasn't a thief, but I think he is now!

AniaR
01-28-2015, 09:50 PM
it seems like he's pulling a fish butts :/

merkitty
01-28-2015, 10:06 PM
SUCCESS! He has answered my phone calls and we have established another 2 week schedule. Hopefully it works out this time. Apparently he is having phone/computer/paypal problems so he wasn't able to contact me...

I hope no one minds that I keep updating this very often.. I just want to keep a public tab on all of this. (I will update tomorrow if he sends/doesnt send me anything)

(IM SO RELIEVED HE FINALLY ANSWERED I WAS GOING NUTS OMG) (sorry for being so excited even though all he did was talk to me... but being ignored like that was so stressful!)

Samantha Siren
01-28-2015, 10:08 PM
That would be silly seeing as we have his address, phone number and personal email address.

AniaR
01-28-2015, 10:16 PM
yeah I saw him online on FB so I think that's bull but whatever so long as he is paying you

Samantha Siren
01-28-2015, 10:21 PM
That's interesting Raina cause he hasn't looked at any of my fb messages for weeks. Oh well I have his email address now. I'll be getting pictures at the weekend.

Mermaid Momo
01-28-2015, 10:52 PM
I find it hard to believe that all of that has been down. It's the 21st century, if it was true that all of that was down there is a thing called a library with access to computers and the internet and if he has a smart phone that's 24/7 access to the internet at all times. But I am glad he finally messaged you.

merkitty
01-28-2015, 10:59 PM
yeah I saw him online on FB so I think that's bull but whatever so long as he is paying you

And that's why I was so upset... he's online but he was ignoring all the messages I sent, when I know other people have talked to him on there in that time.... so frustrating!!

merkitty
01-28-2015, 11:03 PM
I find it hard to believe that all of that has been down. It's the 21st century, if it was true that all of that was down there is a thing called a library with access to computers and the internet and if he has a smart phone that's 24/7 access to the internet at all times. But I am glad he finally messaged you.

Another good point! He is just so busy with everything he doesn't have time to be responsible/logical and talk to his clients through other resources if his aren't working out...

Samantha Siren
01-28-2015, 11:18 PM
Bollocks! You make time!

PearlieMae
01-29-2015, 12:16 AM
If you've sent messages that Facebook says weren't seen, remember, he could have his notifications sent to his email and reads them there, without Facebook marking them as read.

Merkitty, did you get my PM about an attorney?

MermaidCelesteFL
01-29-2015, 01:01 PM
I'll help raise hell if Samantha doesn't receive pics and if Merkitty doesn't get her refund in a timely manner. This can be done in a group effort as well. Raina, do you want to join me?

Samantha Siren
01-29-2015, 01:28 PM
He knows I have reported him to the BBB so I hope he now knows how serious I am and not going accept anything less than than perfection with this tail.

MermaidCelesteFL
01-29-2015, 02:02 PM
Doesn't he need to be a registered business to be reported to the BBB?

Atlantisblue
01-29-2015, 02:07 PM
I feel for those of you struggling to get your tails and/or refunds. :( It is because of reviews like this that I've chosen to make my own....and because it is cheaper

merkitty
01-29-2015, 02:42 PM
Pearlie, I just got your message. Ill consider that as a last resort though. Thanks for your support everyone, by joining together we can help prevent stuff like this from happening again, I hope. I havent received any thing from him yet, but I'm going to wait till the end of the day before making any assumptions on if he's going to hold up his agreement for today.

Samantha Siren
01-29-2015, 03:13 PM
Even though he is not registered they were still able to send him a letter or an email about it and he has responded. I cannot wait to see the pictures at the weekend.

QueenZero
01-29-2015, 05:29 PM
Ugh. This is so sickening. I hear that Jesse's an ok guy, so I suppose I wish him the best as a person, but he is a TERRIBLE, unbelievably HORRIBLE business man. I am so sorry to anyone who is struggling with him right now. There's a lot of names I'd like to call him, but no one needs to see that many four letter words.
If he's reading this, WE'RE ON TO YOU, JESSE. Either give them back their money or admit you don't have it. It ain't hard.
(I'm a graduate of the Clive Barker School of Hellraising, I'll help make some noise. Lemme get my Pinhead mask on.)

merkitty
01-29-2015, 06:34 PM
I recieved a payment from Jesse just now, things are looking good for now. Hopefully this holds up and I get another in 2 weeks time. Ill update if there are any developments.

Samantha Siren
02-01-2015, 07:40 PM
So it looks like I'm the one being ignored now. Its apparently a week or two till completion date and I have not seen any progress pictures. Am I just chasing a phantom tail here? I think I might be.

Mermaid Momo
02-01-2015, 08:56 PM
Demand pictures. Don't be nice anymore. Tell him if you don't receive pictures by first thing in the morning of your tail that there will be consequences. It's not hard to take a dang picture, I'm sure he could just take one on his phone and send it over messenger if he really wanted to (if he has a smartphone and can do that)

Samantha Siren
02-02-2015, 01:23 AM
I text him, he said he was away with family which is more than fine, but I pointed out that he had just proved that it takes 20 seconds to write a quick reply so why he couldn't have done it Saturday and save me the agro is beyond me.

MermaidCelesteFL
02-02-2015, 05:38 PM
So... should we start to raise hell now or later?

Samantha Siren
02-02-2015, 07:05 PM
It's my Birthday on Wednesday and because he doesn't have my tail finished eve though h aid it would be done by the end of January let's see if he'll be nice enough to send me some pictures! However chances of that happening? Place your bets people!

Samantha Siren
02-06-2015, 07:23 AM
So I thought I would give you an update on my fun times with Mr Caldwell. After a few polite messages and being ignored I sent a few angry text messages and finally got a response and the pictures I had asked for. However I received pictures of my fluke STILL IN THE MOULD. Jesse told me he had pulled it and would be painting it and sandwiching it together on the 18th of January.

So I email him with my confusion as to why thus work had not been don't. Copy and pasted his exact emails with dates and asked him to explain. As of yet I have had no reply and according to jesse my my tail would be finished by next weekend when he said he would need an extra two or three weeks to finish. That was a fortnight ago.

This is getting so ridiculous its almost funny. How can he possibly think he can wriggle his way out of this one?

-Annwyn-
02-06-2015, 08:08 AM
Another good point! He is just so busy with everything he doesn't have time to be responsible/logical and talk to his clients through other resources if his aren't working out...

Now where have I heard this before...?

It's a tailmakers job to make time to answer emails/phone queries etc. "Being too busy" is bullshit. If you're out of time, then stop taking orders until you can catch up, know what I mean?

Vicky Mermaid
02-06-2015, 10:11 AM
Now where have I heard this before...?

It's a tailmakers job to make time to answer emails/phone queries etc. "Being too busy" is bullshit. If you're out of time, then stop taking orders until you can catch up, know what I mean?

True

Mermaid Momo
02-06-2015, 11:42 AM
I think you're being waaaay too nice Samantha. If I was in your shoes, I would have raised hell by now. Especially if he had the nerve to send me a picture of the fluke still in the mold when he claimed he had pulled it and painted it weeks ago. Call him out on his bs, and don't be nice about it. Let him know you're fed up and that his customer service is class A shit. (excuse my language). Ask him why it's taking so long for him to make a tail that was supposed to be done long ago, why he feels like lying about progress is an acceptable business practice,etc. Eat away at his lies and let him know how done you are.

Samantha Siren
02-06-2015, 01:10 PM
Oh I have but it goes in one ear and out the other.

MerMatt
02-06-2015, 02:04 PM
I have been reading this thread daily and I have held back on expressing my opinion with what is going on. First, Jesse works a full time job like most of us here. He does tail making on the side to earn some extra income for things. Obviously people here think this and that and expect things to be done within a given time deadline. I understand. I had the same thing happen to me when it came to my tail being made. I was supposed to have it started in November of 2013 but due to life and weather my tail didnt get started till the middle of December. Then Christmas came and he had family stuff and plans. I was okay with that because I was in no rush for my tail. I ended up receiving in the mail at the beginning of March. From initial order to final delivery about 11 months. He had to re-pour a bunch of stuff for my tail because it would not cure due to weather.

Second, I am not defending Jesse and his tail-making. Yes it sucks that his communication has gone down the drain and he has had to end up refunding people. I am getting really tired of people who promise stuff for having such and such for an event and then then their tail isn't ready and go off the deep end at the tail-maker because their tail isn't ready. Anyone heard of unfortunate circumstances like weather. Where Jesse lives the weather can get down right cold and snowy. We are in February in the middle of winter. Silicone doesn't like cold temperatures. Even its just above freezing.

You can respond as you want to this post and come down on me as you like but it won't change what I think. Maybe I am just a real world thinker and look at the big picture and see how all the pieces work together instead of just looking at one piece at a time.

Mermaid Lunette
02-06-2015, 02:16 PM
I don't think anyone here cares about changing your mind mermatt. Think what you will

What the people in this thread care about are the mers whom are currently being mistreated. I think the consensues is until jesse owns up and tries to make it right mers will continue to support and advise the wronged mers to the full extent, even if that means telling his customers to be more assertive or even ask for a refund.

Talia
02-06-2015, 02:24 PM
I beg your pardon, MerMatt, but even if tail making is done on the side, if it is a business, it has to be treated as a business. If any of us hired a gardener or a plumber to do something, we would like our headlines met, and would not put up with excuses such as "I do the plumbling on the side" or "I can't work on your garden because it's cold". You took my money, you deliver the day you said you would. Or if you can't because such is life, I get my money back immediately, no questions asked. And if you lose money, it's not my fault. Such is the cost of doing business.

Can't make tails during winter because of weather? Don't take orders. Do you have stuff going on with your life? Close shop and don't take orders, and send an email to customers explaining what is going on. Can't deliver? Refund! If you have a day job to back you up, you have zero excuses not to. And above all, DON'T LIE. There is a saying in my country that goes, "You catch a liar faster than a man that limps".

AniaR
02-06-2015, 02:36 PM
yeah all that stuff is fair. 100% fair points. But Jesse was already having those issues and continued to take on more tails. Just like fishbutts did. So while we can be understanding of all the circumstances in the world, he's been caught lying a few times, intentionally putting out subpar work, and kept taking on more and more even when he knew he coudlnt' handle it. So I think thats what it comes down to. I agree with everything you say. Up until recently I had Jesse on my FB and I watched everything he was going through. And the whole time I was worried this exact thing would happen.

it's sad all around. In general I just felt sorry for him. But now that I've caught him lying about this stuff a few times. (like saying he never uses permawet when I can physically prove he does) I just dont personally have sympathy anymore. You make excellent points. For me however at this point he should just admit defeat and refund people so they can get tails.

Samantha Siren
02-06-2015, 03:17 PM
Matt is not about the fact the tail is late anymore, its been a yea I don't even know if it will turn up. It is the fact that I have his aaaurence in plain black and white that the job has been done when it isn't even close. I have told him time and time again that if he needs more time then be honest, I have no problem with that. But it is the fact that he has been promising me competition dates when he knew damn well he wasn't even going to be starting. Now I have caught him out on it he is refusing to reply. This is why I am so livid.

And forgive me, but yes jesse works a full time job and makes tails on the side, but what about us performers who are working 7 days a week to get by when we could have been making good money from performing but do not have the appropriate costume to do so. He isn't happy to get the job done but he had no complaints on taking my Mo ey which I have worked my butt off for.

MerMatt
02-07-2015, 02:37 AM
I knew the moment I spoke up I would be criticized, attacked, told off, whatever you want to call it. It doesn't bother me frankly. It really just proves multiple points like why some people don't post what they think and why others leave this community. I had a different experience getting my tail and that is fine. Each to their own I guess.

Samantha Siren
02-07-2015, 07:02 AM
I am happy you had a better experience with your tail Matt really I am but it doesn't sugarcoat the fact that Jesse has been great with some of his customers and awful with others. I have missed out on so much work because he has been feeding me empty promises. I was more than patient with that man for 3/4 of a year but now I am done! He has fed me enough crap to realize that I cannot trust the guy as far as I can throw him. I have it in black and white that he has lied to me so why should I give that man any more leeway.

malinghi
02-07-2015, 01:03 PM
Matt, you're welcome to disagree with people, but please express your opinions respectfully.

I have been reading this thread daily and I have held back on expressing my opinion with what is going on.

You can respond as you want to this post and come down on me as you like but it won't change what I think.

Statements like these bait people into getting into arguments, and they have nothing to do with what you are trying to say about Jesse and these tails. You can share your thoughts without coming across as confrontational. This is an official warning.

Samantha Siren
02-15-2015, 06:13 PM
So just to let you know the current situation.

I told Jesse I would let him be and get on with his work if he updated me every Friday, even if it was just a high still waiting on silicone, just so we kept communication up. Friday came and surprise surprise I got nothing. I sent him a text and all I got back was a message saying he had ordered the silicone and it would arrive on Thursday.

He had told me a month ago he had enough silicone but hey this is Jesse I can't trust him as dar as I can throw him.

So I asked how long it would be and he said "I won't know until I get the silicone"

I am sorry but the guy has been in the business long enough to know how long it will take and a few days waiting for silicone won't change it.

As of this point I have told him he has six weeks to have my tail finished boxed and shipped before I call the police. I have his home address so I gave him two choices, make the tail or move house cause I will be sending the cops round for theft.

Hope everyone else is having better luck than I am with refunds and tails but I am done with this compulsive liar!

AniaR
02-15-2015, 06:46 PM
I can't believe you still didn't hear from him on Friday. That is More than generous. He should know exactly when he's getting his silicone since smoothon gives you an invoice and shipping date and tracking. I am really sorry you have been pushed to these measures. At this point I dont expect he'll give you a halfway decent tail either. I think you deserve a full refund and to go with a better tail maker.

Samantha Siren
02-15-2015, 06:52 PM
The only thing that is keeping me going is the fact that I am getting a better tail. I have nearly paid for a tail from Mermaid Jessica which is going to be beyond stunning. The only reason I want the tail instead if the refund is that once this is done I never want to contact him ever again. I want nothing to do with him and getting a refund will keep me bound to that isufrrable man for at least another 6months while he pays back $100 every fortnight( But yet again he likes to vanish mysteriously when he owes people). If he does a good enough job on the tail I can at least sell it if need be.

Samantha Siren
02-15-2015, 07:18 PM
And what would be gain by sabotaging my tail and making it shit. I am only going to keep reporting him to the BBB and police till I get a refund. What the hell has happened to him. He also blocked me on Facebook.

AniaR
02-15-2015, 07:43 PM
I dont think he'd sabotage i just dont think he'll put in effort. Look at Christian's tail and Christian is his friend who was super understanding through everything... :( I am really mad for you and sorry

Samantha Siren
02-15-2015, 07:48 PM
Thanks Raina, I hate having g to get this angry at someone. I quite liked him in the early stages and I would never have expected him to be this untrustworthey. Oh well. You guys will love the tail Jessica is making me though. The design is beautiful!

merkitty
02-15-2015, 08:12 PM
It is so infuriating the way he is treating his customers. I got a $50 refund yesterday, rather then $100. Atleast I got something in a timely matter rather then nothing for a month. $250 to go. I don't think Ill have the rest by march which is when I am going to place my order for my Mernation tail... I hope I can figure something out /:

Samantha Siren
02-15-2015, 08:16 PM
I hope you asked him where the rest was. $50 was not the deal it was $100. Make him pay you.

merkitty
02-15-2015, 08:18 PM
I had told him that Id rather he give me something then nothing, otherwise he would just end up giving nothing and vanish for a month /: When I asked to reestablish the $100 every two weeks he said he would -try- so I had to give this option otherwise Id get jack shit.

Samantha Siren
02-15-2015, 08:55 PM
Try my ass. It is your money not his!

Shelley
03-01-2015, 10:35 AM
I paid in full, including shipping for a tail from Mermaid Creations/Jesse over a year ago and sadly, he doesn't even respond to my messages. I hear others say he's promising their tails and or a refund but he won't even answer me! He told me when I purchased that I had to pay with a cashier's check but others have told me that wasn't true for them. So you tell me, does it sound like I've lost my money and my silicone mermaid tail dream? He originally corresponded with me, even sent my a payment received certificate but after a couple of interactions...nothing. I have tried repeatedly to contact him since summer last year with absolutely no response since he said my tail would likely be done in May LAST year. NO contact. That's pretty unprofessional. Now i just want my money back so I can move on with a more reputable company. Any help or advice you mers have is welcome.

Mermaid Momo
03-01-2015, 04:02 PM
I paid in full, including shipping for a tail from Mermaid Creations/Jesse over a year ago and sadly, he doesn't even respond to my messages. I hear others say he's promising their tails and or a refund but he won't even answer me! He told me when I purchased that I had to pay with a cashier's check but others have told me that wasn't true for them. So you tell me, does it sound like I've lost my money and my silicone mermaid tail dream? He originally corresponded with me, even sent my a payment received certificate but after a couple of interactions...nothing. I have tried repeatedly to contact him since summer last year with absolutely no response since he said my tail would likely be done in May LAST year. NO contact. That's pretty unprofessional. Now i just want my money back so I can move on with a more reputable company. Any help or advice you mers have is welcome.

I'm sorry to say that it sounds like you may have lost your money. But being from the digital generation, I don't know how a cashier's check works really since I do almost all of my payments with either cash (only at grocery stores, and small businesses), debit, or paypal.

merkitty
03-01-2015, 04:05 PM
I sent you a message, let me know if it helps.

Winged Mermaid
03-01-2015, 04:47 PM

Oh no :( I just saw this after posting the blacklist, looks like he might be put on that page as well. Paying with cash or cashier's check means there's no way to file with your bank or credit card company to get your money back. Since he never asked anyone else to pay that way, it makes me wonder if he intended to scam you. I am so sorry.

Best you can do at this point if he isn't responding is to file complaints with the Bureau of Customer Protection (http://www.ftc.gov/about-ftc/bureaus-offices/bureau-consumer-protection), the Internet Crime Complaint Center (http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx), and the Better Business Bureau (https://www.bbb.org/consumer-complaints/file-a-complaint/get-started). If none of those get his attention, the small claims court in Florida (http://www.flcourts.org/resources-and-services/family-courts/family-law-self-help-information/small-claims.stml) (where he lives) has a limit of $5,000 and the statute of limitations is 5 years for a written contract and 4 years for an oral contact, so you can definitely take him to court.

Shelley
03-02-2015, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the sympathy. A cashiers check works like a money order or cash. Yes, it means that I have to pursue the incident myself instead of letting a credit card company do that hard work for me.
Now about this 'he lives in Florida' part...I thought he was in Ohio. What did I miss?
The amount I paid is a federal crime. And if several mers come together with their complaint to the system, all the better.
I never want to hurt him but this is foul business practices. He should refund the money he took from hard working people if he isn't going to provide the items he promised. But you know that already...I'm singing to the choir.

Shelley
03-02-2015, 12:01 AM
Merkitty, THANK YOU TONS!!! ;)

Samantha Siren
03-02-2015, 07:12 AM
Iona he doesn't he live in Cincinnati Ohio or us that his partners place? I. Shelly I have his cell phone and private email address if you don't have it already. I am in contact with him about my tail so I will boot him up the ass about yours if you want me to. I also have his home address.

Shelley
03-02-2015, 08:31 AM
Heard from Jesse, finally. Not sure who made that happen but thanks if you had a fin in it. He says he will refund my $ but several mers are in front of me, I assured him that if he doesn't do it willingly and timely, I will pursue legal avenues. Which I'd prefer not to have to do. This is an unfortunate and sad trend with Mermaid Creations but I will hold no ill feelings if he mans-up and does the right thing by everyone involved.

Samantha Siren
03-02-2015, 11:15 AM
So let me get this straight, he is making you get in a queue to get your money back? Is he having a laugh? The man need to take out a loan and pay all you lot back. This guy makes me so freaking angry!

Yulia
03-02-2015, 11:37 AM
He wrote a long message on his facebook page you guys should check out.

Merman Arion
03-02-2015, 12:33 PM
That guy is pretending he never used Permawet.
Is he for real?! We have reliable sources here who said he DID use Permawet.

I'm confused now.

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk

PearlieMae
03-02-2015, 12:35 PM
Chances are he's screwed up his finances so badly that he'll never be able to take out a loan! These days, you have to prove you don't actually NEED a loan before anyone will lend you money...thus the scamming.

merkitty
03-02-2015, 12:45 PM
Ahhh I want to buy my Mernation tail this week and he still owes me $250. He said he'll send me $50 today and try his best to send me the remaining $200 on the 13th if he can. AHHHHHHH! *so much internal screaming* >.<

Samantha Siren
03-02-2015, 01:03 PM
I couldn't read it all without getting angry. It "allowed/him to make shit tails and ignore and lie to people" biggest load of bollocks I have ever heard!

Meronica
03-02-2015, 02:09 PM
This is ridiculous. He took your money and went out and spent it on personal stuff before even getting materials. I'd be looking into small claims court if I were any of you! :( So sorry this happened.

Winged Mermaid
03-02-2015, 02:45 PM
Now about this 'he lives in Florida' part...I thought he was in Ohio. What did I miss?

You know I KNEW that :doh: I really did, yet I put down Florida lol Good job keeping that straight, brain :P

Anyhow, it's 8 years for written contract and 6 years for oral in Ohio. So yeah there's definitely time if he doesn't deliver on his promises. I really hope he does, and I"m glad he finally responded to you. Sucks that he put you in a queue to get your money back -_- But I guess he spent it all maybe, so he has to pay people back as he gets paid from his job? Best I can guess.

Elle
03-02-2015, 04:13 PM

I'm confused now.

He calls it a slime coat, it's in the comments on some of his photos. Whether or not it's permawet, or something like permawet I don't know, but he definitely coats the tails in something. No one else makes tails that look wet

Winged Mermaid
03-02-2015, 04:15 PM

I'm confused now.

Jesse said in that post, "I do not use Permawet, I have never used Permawet." That is not true. He was the first person on the forum to use permawet, in fact no one even knew what it was before he started using it and posted about it. He went on and on about how great it was and how it gave that wet look which he loved so much. Then one day he posted that he didn't use permawet on his tails, so I went back to find the post(s) where he talked about it so I could link them, and they were gone.

Also if he doesn't use it, why do people (including Raina but others as well) find the top layer coming off their tails and separating form the silicone, and why won't silicone bond to the outside of his tails? He's even told his own customers that he can't repaint the tails, that it won't bond. That if they wanted their tail taken in, and it messed up the paint job, that he couldn't fix it- so if they wanted it smaller with the paint job looking right they would have to get a whole new tail body. Why would that be the case if all he uses is silicone? It all adds up. Great to him if he's stopped using it, but to say he's never used it is a lie.

Coradion
03-02-2015, 04:24 PM
Jesse said in that post, "I do not use Permawet, I have never used Permawet." That is not true. He was the first person on the forum to use permawet, in fact no one even knew what it was before he started using it and posted about it. He went on and on about how great it was and how it gave that wet look which he loved so much. Then one day he posted that he didn't use permawet on his tails, so I went back to find the post(s) where he talked about it so I could link them, and they were gone.

Also if he doesn't use it, why do people (including Raina but others as well) find the top layer coming off their tails and separating form the silicone, and why won't silicone bond to the outside of his tails? He's even told his own customers that he can't repaint the tails, that it won't bond. That if they wanted their tail taken in, and it messed up the paint job, that he couldn't fix it- so if they wanted it smaller with the paint job looking right they would have to get a whole new tail body. Why would that be the case if all he uses is silicone? It all adds up. Great to him if he's stopped using it, but to say he's never used it is a lie.

I'm not saying this is what he did but I have found that you can add a silicone layer to the outside of a tail after you've finished it and if the silicone and solvent is mixed differently it will stick initially and make a nice "mucus" layer as you would see on some fishes but it will later peel off. The application method has a lot to do with it. Like if you brush it on or pour it instead of airbrushing it can make a peeling layer.

Yulia
03-02-2015, 04:33 PM
I may be wrong here, but I think that Raina has messages from Jesse were he states he's using permawet.

Mermaid Momo
03-02-2015, 05:48 PM

When Mermaid Marla was fixing up her orange tail, there was a picture where she was using Permawet and the caption was something like he had told her to use it or recommended it because it was what he used on his tails or something like that.

Samantha Siren
03-02-2015, 06:12 PM
Jesse updated me, he had pulled the fluke from the mold and cut the monofin. He said he did this two months ago but hey St least he is doing it now.

Merman Arion
03-02-2015, 06:13 PM
Jesse updated me, he had pulled the fluke from the mold and cut the monofin. He said he did this two months ago but hey St least he is doing it now.

:doh:

Shelley
03-02-2015, 11:20 PM
UH. YEA! THAT EXACTLY PearlieMae!!!

AniaR
03-05-2015, 07:47 PM
I saw the post, I am glad that he is trying so hard to pay people back. I understand shitty life stuff happening. However I don't appreciate the line about the permawet. He talked about it loads on meryuku and as Iona pointed out no one knew what it was until he brought it up. And while we no longer have access to those original posts; when you look at the mernetwork archives and search permawet there are comments dating back to 2011 referencing Jesse using permawet on his tails. As a friend recently joked; this is NOT some collective dream we all had. I certainly saw it on some tails that were at the first merfest (all the original owners ended up selling them off because of similar issues to what I faced, and all new at the time tails) I know Cicero got his refunded because it was unusable last year. As did the awesome mermaid who made the doll of me. So for the most part I could feel bad for Jesse if I knew he wasnt lying but just drop the perma wet lie. Admit you used it on quite a few tails but don't anymore, and move on.

There isn't a silicone product that creates that shiny look. Ive researched the heck out of it, and don't you think OTHER TAIL MAKERS would be using it by now? They all do clear coats and they don't look like that. I've had multiple types of silicone tails now or has access to them. I know the difference between normal silicone peeling (which is certainly what has happened to the inside of the tail as the layers cured at different times) and pieces of latex. The outside of our tail peels like liquid latex that you use on your skin.

Shelley I was heart broken to hear of your ordeal and I ranted a bit on FB which may have pushed him to answer you. a year is way too long to go without hearing anything.

I hope Jesse doesnt get himself caught in the same trap that merberry, mermaids r us, and fishbutts did: taking more orders to refund people. Because it doesnt end well.

I have nothing against Jesse as a person for the most part (save for the lying about permawet). If he manages to repay people and improve upon his product. All the power to him. I am happy we have the tail we have, even with its problems. I am just unhappy that all this time later, people are still getting that same quality, and getting strung along. It was hard for me to watch Christian go through what he did.

Samantha I am glad he FINALLY started your tail.

MermaidCelesteFL
03-05-2015, 11:00 PM
I can't believe after all of this, he still intends on taking more orders once he finishes with this business. He's gotta be fishin nuts.

Samantha caught something interesting in his website that drew me in as a customer- that he "airbrushes his tails" when clearly he doesn't. So I added in that he shouldn't let customers think that he can do flesh tones or metallics in his tails either. Looks like he is looking at a lot of false advertising and false promises on his part.

Mermaid Wesley
03-06-2015, 03:01 AM
Wait so he IS still taking orders???? I thought he was done?

Samantha Siren
03-06-2015, 01:27 PM
He is doing metallics on my tail because I asked him to. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished result. Its is looking good so far.

Mermaid Momo
03-06-2015, 01:50 PM
He is doing metallics on my tail because I asked him to. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished result. Its is looking good so far.
But isn't it impossible or at least really hard to make metallic colors the way he makes his pigment? (Layer upon layer of silicone) The way I imagine it, the metallic won't be that metallic at all, or at least maybe just some glitter. Has anyone seen a metallic tail by him?

Also, I'm just wondering, if he's using silicone, why does he say he has a limited amount of colors he can use on his website? (White, black yellow, brown, flesh,green, red, blue, and blood) From the different threads here with mers making their own silicone tails, It's pretty obvious that there are other colors that can be used than just those ones, especially with powdered pigments that can be added to the silicone. Is his color choices limited because he doesn't airbrush on his colors like other tailmakers?

Samantha Siren
03-06-2015, 05:24 PM
He has pigmented my tail but now is using the pigmented silicone to paint it. It is the way mermaid Jessica does her tails and I have asked him to do the same.

Prairie Mermaid Jamie
03-07-2015, 12:33 AM
Also, I'm just wondering, if he's using silicone, why does he say he has a limited amount of colors he can use on his website? (White, black yellow, brown, flesh,green, red, blue, and blood)

Thats the color set that silc pig has. Its cheaper to buy their sampler with a small container of each then to buy each color individually. Money seems to be an issue with him.

Ive seen one of his tails in person and did a fair amount of touching. There is no need for thick sheets to get the colors right. I can make those colors work in things only millimeters thick. The thicker the layer the more the color clouds and gets dull. Same with metallic pigments. When you pull it it seems to stretch and lose its luster, but its still sparkly. Color can also depend on what part you mix the color with. I mistakenly added color to part b before mixing and found my red was more pink then using the same color but mixing with part a. It cured just fine both ways but the color was very different.

I just cant get over how thick his stuff is. Its very hard to help Matt get into his tail! I get hand cramps!

AniaR
03-07-2015, 12:41 AM
^ this. all of it.

merkitty
03-28-2015, 02:39 PM
The day has finally come, exactly one year after I ordered from Jesse, I have been refunded in full as of today. This has been one hell of a roller coaster and it makes me incredibly upset that although it is finally over for me, for many people who have ordered from Jesse it is still an ongoing problem.

My Mernation journey has begun and it is -definitely- smooth sailing from here.

AniaR
03-28-2015, 06:03 PM
Good luck merkitty. So glad you got all your money back and are done with this. :hug:

PearlieMae
03-28-2015, 08:16 PM
Maybe he's just not very good at it.

merkitty
03-29-2015, 02:15 PM
Good luck merkitty. So glad you got all your money back and are done with this. :hug:

Thank you Raina :hug: I am looking forward to getting my tail and meeting you someday at a Canadian mer meetup :)

StephanieinahpetS
03-30-2015, 09:06 PM
Wow. All of this stuff about Jesse angers and saddens me at the same time. When I purchased a tail from him almost 3 years ago, I had a nice experience. I sent him $1,000, and he sent me my tail 6 weeks later. The thing is, it wasn't the best. As an artist myself, I was super nit-picky about the small details that I did not approve of.

Then, I see all of this about him all these years later. The whole with dear Christian, a similar case with Merman David...it was sad to see that he has been giving out an even worse piece of crap, no improvement at all.

THEN, I come across a Facebook post on a tail-maker's page of my sketch of a fluke, and someone else took the credit for it. That same sketch was sent electronically to ONE person ever: Jesse.

Such a bummer and a horrible way to live life...

Also, I have the lovely Raina to thank for all of the interaction in this mer-community! Keeping us all together, girl! :)

Mermaid Momo
03-30-2015, 10:08 PM
Merman David? I don't think I've seen anything from him here before or maybe I missed his review?

AniaR
03-30-2015, 10:19 PM
Didn't Jesse put that giant pink dot on your tail without asking you?

Samantha Siren
04-06-2015, 06:17 PM
So after 13 months of stress. I am not getting my tail from Jesse. I am feeling a little numb right now.

AniaR
04-06-2015, 06:20 PM
whoa whoa hold up. what's happening????

Samantha Siren
04-06-2015, 06:33 PM
Raina I'll pm you on Fb

AniaR
04-06-2015, 06:38 PM
I want to barf I feel so bad for you I am so sorry. He needs to just get a line of credit and refund everyone.

Samantha Siren
04-06-2015, 06:45 PM
On a happy note. My tail from Mermaid Jessica is being started TODAY! it is gonna be so awesome!

Ashe
04-06-2015, 07:41 PM
I'm sorry, what's this about the giant pink dot? I believe I heard about it a year or two ago but never got the full story.

And I feel so sorry for the mers who have been having so much trouble with Jesse. It's so sad to see another good tailmaker go down in pieces again...

AniaR
04-06-2015, 07:47 PM
I'm sorry, what's this about the giant pink dot? I believe I heard about it a year or two ago but never got the full story.

He added a giant pink dot on the fluke without asking her. It wasnt her design. She made it work though

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/548605_458354174202171_1493487997_n.jpg?oh=2070bc3 e47e5ad7611be6eb012d5707c&oe=559D09C4&__gda__=1436421397_4b998e96c7d2119e833c52550b07135 1

Merman Arion
04-06-2015, 07:52 PM
Oh yeah.. I never understood the purpose of that giant dot when I discovered that tail. WAY too distracting to me :(

AniaR
04-06-2015, 07:54 PM
my guess is it's covering a mistake. He either dropped the pink there and had to improvise or something else.

Rett
04-16-2015, 09:20 PM
my guess is it's covering a mistake. He either dropped the pink there and had to improvise or something else.
I agree. Jesse was one of the first tail-makers I happened to hear about when i first started into mermaiding (happened to see his test swim videos on Youtube) and its very sad to see him do things like this, but I think that was the only thing he could think of to fix whatever problem he created. Very sad to see his company going so downhill :(

Samantha Siren
04-17-2015, 05:45 AM
Will be even sadder if he doesn't start paying me back and I have to call the cops on him. He's already a day late and not replied to me!

Shelley
04-30-2015, 10:53 PM
So glad you finally got your refund Merkitty! I haven't seen a dime yet. sigh.

AniaR
04-30-2015, 11:16 PM
ugggh :( see there is such a fine balance between giving a tail maker a chance and not over doing it with the online concerns, and then having that totally taken advantage of when you try to do that. It's so hard to know when you should give someone a chance and when we should speak up. I feel like if we all said something earlier maybe some people could of avoided this... but how were any of us to know I guess. :(

Sorry Shelley

Starfrit
05-01-2015, 09:44 AM
Situations like these are always really hard to predict. If more people had spoken out sooner, it's possible things could have been resolved faster... Or he could have just panicked and disappeared with everyone's money like so many other tailmakers before. :( I'm really, really sorry for everyone who's been caught up in all of this. This is such a mess, omg. Even Jesse's whiteknights aren't trying to defend him anymore, and that says a lot.

Seatan
05-01-2015, 10:17 AM
Maybe he's just not very good at it.

Pearlie, I think that this is at the heart of most problems that tail makers end up having. They are able to create a silicone tail, but they reach a limit where they are unable to progress any further on their own with the silicone medium (perhaps they need to go to an FX conference or get together with FX artists to learn new methods), but they don't want to admit it so they continue taking orders. As the orders pile on they become stressed and their work goes downhill even farther. One of the mermaids who worked at the Ren Faire in Dallas/Fort Worth and received one of Finfolk's very early tails was my student last year and she had some negative things to say about their quality--but that was one of their early tails and they made a point to improve drastically. I don't know if they or Raven have ever gone to any workshops on FX designs or if Abby, Bryn, and Raven are just three people who, when they reached their first "limit," had enough talent to think through it and TOOK THE TIME to fix the problem before continuing their designs, refusing to send out anything but their best work. I think new tail makers get themselves stuck between a rock and a hard place by advertising themselves as an alternative to the "big" silicone tail makers whose skill level is above theirs and, when the clients are disappointed, they just end up trying to cover their butts. Unfortunately that doesn't work when your competition (like Finfolk or Merbella) would absolutely make it right if something happened while they were making your tail to make it something other than promised. Even the best tail makers can get super behind--we've all seen people wait months and months and months to get their tails, no clue when the production will be finished--so if it's that difficult for the people who have the process 100% down, imagine the difficulty of someone who is still not a master in their craft. (And if you are not constantly improving, then you're really not a master of your craft--artists learn new things and come up with new techniques to make their work better all the time. It's one of the things that makes art so wonderful--you never stop learning and creating new things.)

I guess what I am saying is that I believe that people start selling their tails (even AT COST) way too soon. Do like Finfolk did and donate tails to a Ren Faire or make your friends tails at your own cost. Even a customer paying "at cost" is going to have subconscious expectations and, if they are not met, it WILL hurt your business. The fact that my student experienced high levels of tearing with her Finfolk tail did not affect their business at all because they made them as costumes for a Ren Faire to show off rather than as a tail for someone in the community. I don't think people should take money for tails until they are queens/kings of the process. And you can tell that learning to work in silicone is a HARD process. Raven, Abby, and Bryn don't have Mernetwork documentation of their long journeys, but Pearlie Mae's tail making thread is a great example. She tested what seemed like a thousand methods, had to redo things that messed up, had to change her methods mid work, had to redesign things differently from the way she first imagined it... It was a LONG process that took almost two years, if I remember correctly. And she didn't start trying to make tails for other people until all her methods were tested over and over and over again. When she hit a "limit" she figured out a way to work past it... Not everyone is capable of doing that, ESPECIALLY if they have the pressure of orders bearing down on their shoulders. I know Jesse has been making tails for a long time, but the amount of time you've been doing something doesn't matter--it's how much your methods have changed improved over that time period. If they've gone down rather than up, it's time to stop taking orders until you get back on track. Which is the reason I also believe that, if you take orders as a new tail maker, you should not spend ANY of that money until the product is sent. Otherwise you might find yourself having to disappear like Fishbutts, leaving tragedy in your wake as people lose out on hard earned money.

Aysun_the_Mermaid
05-01-2015, 11:10 AM
^ not that is particularly matters in the grand scheme of things, but I thought it was worth a tiny derailment. FinFolk did not donate tails to the renfaire.
They were either bought at full price or with a rush fee. Not exactly sure which, but definitely not donated.

(My knowledge comes from being one of the mers that work said faire)

AniaR
05-01-2015, 11:28 AM
Yeah they did sell them I remember. But everything else is spot on. Raven and Tyler both did loads of spfx online research and training and met with smoothon. Tyler actually posted on the forum about it a year or so ago when someone flipped out thinking merbellas should disclose their methods! Lol

Shelley
05-02-2015, 08:03 AM
I hear what your saying Seavanna. However, quality issue with product is a different story than integrity issues. You touched on both in your post. I personally don't have a problem with someone who is 'starting out' making tails and selling their experimental tails as long as everyone involved knows dang sure that it's a trail type effort or prototype. I have a BIG problem with someone dishing out sloppy work that doesn't meet their current skill level. AND, and even BIGGER problem with crafters taking money, spending it on recreation/personal expenses and then never delivering product at all. So, I wholeheartedly agree that the money should have never been spent so that it could be refunded quickly. I do understand that there is product cost but for the potential amount of $ that Jesse took in, versus how much he owes out to people...he enjoyed my money. That isn't fair. It's illegal actually.

Mermaid Nixie
07-16-2015, 07:26 AM
Hello All,

I paid Jesse Caldwell $2,400 for a deluxe silicone tail May 20, 2013. I have not received a tail, but my hard earned cash is gone. Though he has promised several times to produce the tail it has not happened. On one occasion I let it slide because he claimed he was grieving his grandmothers passing. Lo and behold the next day he was posting pics on social media with an ear to ear smile as he rode roller coasters at an amusement park. He should have been working all weekend to produce our tails. I am all in for a lawsuit. I have been extremely patient with this man. I'm guessing there are several, if not many others in our situation. My tail alone adds up to grand larceny.

AniaR
07-16-2015, 10:30 AM
Sounds like black listing time

Shelley
10-18-2015, 09:36 AM
If he hasn't been black listed yet...it's LATE !!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

AniaR
10-18-2015, 10:00 AM
He has been. Lol

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk