PDA

View Full Version : Just what is it about tails...?

OceanicStory
01-08-2013, 07:14 PM
I'm sure a topic like this has come up before (and if I missed it while looking, er... sorry!), but what is it about tails that we find so alluring? They're the most defining aspect of mermaids and mermen, after all, and a great big portion of the website is dedicated to them! What was it, recently or long ago, that made us look to our legs and then at the mystical depictions in stories, films, artwork, etc. and think: "Yeah, I wish I had that instead."
What is it about the tail that encourages us to spend time making one, spend cash buying one, spend time learning how to swim in one, and work up the courage to do it all in plain view? :D

What is it to you, personally?

ButterflyVision
01-08-2013, 07:52 PM
Wow... I don't think this has been covered before. What a deep question.. Its like one of those 'what's the meaning of life' questions. I guess the reason Ive become infatuated with mermaids is because it's the one magical thing that I can fully inccoporate into my life. I'm a dreamer. Plain and simple. I dream of going to some magical world with fantasy creatures and such but unfortunately no one has obtained that. Yet mermaiding, something so mystical, has. I can't be become a fairy because I don't have the wings or ability to fly. I can't become a vampire (though I have the fangs) there rep isn't exactly rainbow smile happy (and twilight has kinda slandered the view of them). An elf? Eh. Possible. But mermaids... There in a class all there own. Until I can create a way to have realistic useable wings a mermaid tail will do.

Mermaid Saphira
01-08-2013, 08:34 PM
Wow... I don't think this has been covered before. What a deep question.. Its like one of those 'what's the meaning of life' questions. I guess the reason Ive become infatuated with mermaids is because it's the one magical thing that I can fully inccoporate into my life. I'm a dreamer. Plain and simple. I dream of going to some magical world with fantasy creatures and such but unfortunately no one has obtained that. Yet mermaiding, something so mystical, has. I can't be become a fairy because I don't have the wings or ability to fly. I can't become a vampire (though I have the fangs) there rep isn't exactly rainbow smile happy (and twilight has kinda slandered the view of them). An elf? Eh. Possible. But mermaids... There in a class all there own. Until I can create a way to have realistic useable wings a mermaid tail will do.

You took the words right out of my mouth!! ^-^
Minus the vampire thing >,,>

Mermaid Danielle
01-08-2013, 09:38 PM
I'm in the same boat as ButterflyVision. I'm a dreamer and love to escape into a magical world. As far as being in plain sight goes, I enjoy bringing that magic to the people around me- simple as that. When I went to Lake Michigan in my tail, I made so many people, of all ages, smile :D I love to be able to do that!

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
01-09-2013, 01:37 AM
There is also something of sleek, graceful power involved in fish (and cetacean) tails, and the idea of being half human grants merfolk full use of the tail for swimming purposes, while enabling mers to hug, kiss, speak, touch, sing, feel, and generally experience the world in the same way humans do, unlike some other creatures (it would be hard to make out with a werewolf in wolf form, for instance, or to hug someone with wings). Then you have flowing fins, glittering scales, and other embellishments that further highlight us, and even the most fantastic pair of legs (or other part of lower anatomy that the tail would replace) is seen as somewhat drab in comparison.

Mermaid Menanna
01-09-2013, 05:51 AM
While most of what's already been said applies to me as well, it runs deeper here. For me it's more reality than fantasy. My whole life is fish/aquatics. I live with them, interact with them daily, nurse the sick, study, research, teach others to love, respect, and take care of them... and I feel a bond with the animals. I have a deep set desire to be in their world instead of always trying to bring them into mine. The only thing that stops me from literally feeling like one of them is lack of fins, gills, and their world to swim in. I already know even before I'm there that this tail is going to take me as close as I can possibly be to truly understanding them, and I am hoping it will help aid in my levels of interaction with wild as much as with pet fish/aquatic animals.

There is also something magical about mermaids above any other fairytale creature. Fairy's can fly, but other than that they are air breathing, with legs, etc. and we still already have something in common with them, which I think helps people find some kind of bond/attachment to them. Mermaids on the other hand... they live in a world we still don't know nearly enough about, something scary yet mystical, and the desire to explore something new, to be a part of something so unique and undiscovered... I find that irresistible. And then to find a way to bring it closer, to really be able to live the dream in some way... feel the magic, be a part of it all, yeah, who wouldn't find that appealing, lol. :confused:

Mermaid Wesley
01-09-2013, 06:35 AM
for me, i have always been drawn to mermaids. i really dont know why. I believe them to be real, (yes, i believe in fae and mermaids fall in that category for me) but besides that i have always felt more at home in the ocean than on land and the whole concept of me being a memaid has stuck with me since i was ariel in our kindergarten school play. i love the freedom of swimming but i have never been able to kick properly. I have it in my head that a tail will remedy that, and i think im right. I love the siren lore as well and I sing so bam-pow i can play the part of a siren. I dont know, I guess ive never felt entirely human and mermaid is the closest to perfect for me <3

Mermaid Miel
01-09-2013, 08:04 AM
Like most everyone has replied, I'm a dreamer. Also, I adore costumes.
The first instant I saw a mermaid Tail costume I wanted one. (took me two years till I made my first one though.)

The first time I swam in a monofin I fell in love with the motion and with the water in a way I hadn't felt since my very first swim lessons. (I wanted to Dance in the water... My parents and teachers wanted me to do laps.)

While I loved Fairytales as a Child, they sort of depicted an alternate universe, far removed from the grey humdrum world I existed in. As a teenager I suffered from an unusual depression in which the world of fantasy was more desirable, more colourful, than real life.

I wont say that mermaiding brought magic into my grey world because that's a lie. I do not practise magick. I turned to Jesus and He brought the joy and colour to my world. (Yes, I am a Christian Mermaid.)
Mermaiding only brought me a renewed love of water and new friends to share it with.

The Fluidity of motion and the speed of Propulsion provided by a Monofin Swim Tail seems to fulfill a Psychological need in me. To move in a manner that is both fast and graceful. That uses as many muscles as possible but feels effortless. Without the feeling of gravity weighing you down and without the ache of sore feet. (after 4 hours constantly on my feet at work, mine are very sore.)

The Tail-skin itself has brought out a bit of vanity in me. I am very enammoured of compliments about my tails/top/hair etc. I would not adore nor expect such compliments of myself before. I am complimented, but it's like "thanks, but lets talk about you." and when I'm in a tail it's "Thank You Very Much! Lets talk more about me." I wonder if that's usual for anyone else?

MermaidBrittany
01-09-2013, 10:50 AM
A lot of what I believe has already been said. :) I love the fluidity and grace that they have, and the strength and independence they symbolize. However, the fact that they are so much like humans and yet so connected to the sea is my favorite part.

I do have a rather scientific side though, so its hard not to think about the "Realistic" side of things... ALL the time. However in order to enjoy what they represent you kind of have to go with it. :) I keep that glimmer of hope that to every myth or legend there is some truth behind it, and since mermaids appear in SO many different cultures all around the world who knows? Only 5% of oceans (or something like that) has been explored.

My problem is I am a dreamer, but just a realistic one (if that makes any sense ;P) so I am a perfectionist and rather skeptical. But being in the water just seems to make everything float away :)

Mermaid Wilamena
02-19-2013, 01:31 AM
Hi everyone,I pretty much agree with what you all have said.I think the idea of "transforming" into a mermaid is both exciting and scary,no longer having legs and being vulnerable on land but at one with and powerful in the water is very alluring

Mermaid Narina
02-19-2013, 01:41 AM
i think mermaid tails are so graceful and flowing that there is something alluring about them. If you put your legs together and point your toes like a gymnast, you will look controlled and graceful, and the same thing with wearing a tail!
I also always loved mermaids, so when i realised i could BE ONE, i got sure excited!!!

Candytails
02-20-2013, 05:04 AM
I've always been the odd ball of my friends who swims at the bottom of the pool. The crazy outspoken one who does as she pleases. Mermaids are so free from the bonds of gravity and responsibility that I've always been drawn to them. Not to mention I was obsessed with Ariel as a child. My singing ability only adds to the allure of the siren

ThatMournfulSound
04-02-2013, 09:34 PM
Ever since I was a kid, I've been drawn to magical creatures, mermaids, fairies, etc. Yeah going to the ocean was great but all that was down there was fish and other things of that nature. When I began getting more and more into mermaids and other creatures, that opened a whole new world for me. As a child, I began to make up stories and things with mermaids and everywhere I went there were mermaids waiting for me to find. Growing up a bit I actually became depressed as I got into school and work and such because, like Mermaid Miel was saying, I was living in a world of grey.
Back when I was little I had made a mermaid tail out of scrap materials and I made my mom sew it. It was never anything special and it was soon lost and forgotten. When I moved, I had found the tail again and I went on a mermaid kick, researching everything I can about making tails and buying tails. Like Miel said above, swimming around in my tail really brought something special into my life. I had something good to make and something to set my mind on. I met some amazing people which we helped eachother make our tails and we just had fun together. Swimming around gave me some magic in my normal life and everything was great. I wasn't depressed anymore and I could just bring joy to people but just swimming around.

Sorry for making that a bit long. :)

Mizuko
04-02-2013, 09:46 PM
I was a born water baby- growing up on the beach and swimming almost every day in the ocean/surf. I too am a huge dreamer- and mythical creatures inspire me alot. But being a mermaid facinated me- I wouldnt have to come up for breaths of air, I could swim faster with a big beautiful tail... that followed me throughout most of my life. The magic is there, but also the feeling of belonging. Swimming with a tail makes me feel like I'm meant to be under the water, or at least a huge part of me is meant to be under the water. ^^

telzey.amberdon
04-04-2013, 08:49 PM
A tail helps me become more of who I am.

Thalassa
04-04-2013, 10:55 PM
I dunno...When I was little, I was really afraid of the water. I never learned to swim, so the effortless way that mermaids swam seemed like the most amazing magic. When I got older, I realized that I was tired of being afraid of the water, so I took lessons and learned to like the water...but I still couldn't swim well. Eventually, I found mernetwork, and this seemed like a challenge I could take on. Putting on my first tail, I learned that I loved it! I actually can hardly swim at all without my tail (I know it sounds silly), and I work hard to push past that.

So I guess mermaids just always seemed the most magical, and it's something that motivates me and that I can do.