PDA

View Full Version : Banana peels can clean up water! :D

kazekoh
08-11-2011, 11:09 PM
It is a very short article, but I found it worth sharing;

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/08/11/139547323/slippery-banana-peels-could-be-a-savior-for-polluted-water?sc=fb&cc=fp

The banana peel, it turns out, can take water dirtied by heavy metals from mining operations or other activities and turn it to clean drinking water.

Isn't that cool? :D I mean it can't take out bacteria,but at least it can help fix some problems. Go bananas!

Kanti
08-11-2011, 11:19 PM
Wow that's something I wonder how the guy came up with.
He ran out of ideas and was suddenly like. "Hmmm. May as well try"

Very interesting

Kanti
08-11-2011, 11:20 PM
We need to invent some sort of banana peel sponge.

kazekoh
08-11-2011, 11:25 PM
@Kanti Haha, that's a real scientist for you "..Hm I wonder what happens if I throw a banana in contaminated water. BY GOD It cleans it! SCIENCE" -billnyefan-

That would be really cool. And Biodegradable! :D I can imagine all the corny punch lines to sell it XD "Not just for slipping anymore!"

Kanti
08-12-2011, 01:16 AM
Lol or he accidentally dropped some in the water and was like "aww shit there goes my experiment"
then went to check the progress and was all "yea I totally meant to do that" lol

It would be a great product. And I mean, banana peels are so easy to gain access to. Oh wait. Fuuuck. Actually
I recently heard that bananas will probably be extinct soon -__-
Apparently some place that grows something crazy like 70% of the world's bananas contracted a disease that's
killing off trees like crazy. I haven't heard much about it since like 4 months ago, though, maybe they got it
under control or no one cares enough lol.

kazekoh
08-12-2011, 10:50 AM
@Kanti
That is quite possible too xD;

Oh I know what you are talking about! From what I remember, it was mostly Bananas people eat that caught that fungus thing. The wild bananas in the area where doing just fine.
The reason why it was happening they think is the Banana plants that are for human consumption were all genetically similar.
That was what I heard last a few months ago too. XD; Hopefully its fixed!
I care about de banana! D8 Even if it makes me sick to eat it.

Kanti
08-12-2011, 02:23 PM
Yea I heard about it alot for a couple weeks but after that no one really reported on it.
If anything I'll keep some in my backyard and grow them forever and form a monopoly on them lmfao
I like bananas alot ):

Winged Mermaid
08-17-2011, 01:50 AM
That is awesome!!! Quick, everyone throw their banana peels in the ocean!

kazekoh
08-17-2011, 03:05 PM
@Kanti Gahah XD Well if you make them organic I'll try to come down and get one! I can for some reason eat organic banana..its WEIRD. I got sick when I ate the other ones

@Wingéd Mermaid
There you go! :D