PDA

View Full Version : Mermaidy Children's Book Suggestions?

halesloveswhales
01-10-2013, 10:20 AM
Hello all!
I am doing my first book reading today at an elementary school, and I realized that there is not a thread on good picture books to read to children. Can we start a list here for ocean-themed book suggestions?

Here are some of the ones I found:

Rainbow Fish (by Marcus Pfister)
Stella Star of the Sea (by Marie-Louise Gray)
A House for a Hermit Crab (Eric Carle)
The Lorax (Dr Seuss) -- For a more conservationist theme

Mermaid Saphira
01-10-2013, 11:57 AM
ThanQ SO much for this thread! I am in need of suggestions when I read to the kids at the library! :D can't wait to see what mers come up with >.>

SeaGlass Siren
01-10-2013, 12:12 PM
well lets see here. you already listed a few good books. also depends what books the library has as well. did you check the library catalogues?

SeaGlass Siren
01-10-2013, 12:22 PM
Nemo's day off / by Catherine R. Daly ; illustrated by Joey Chou.

Don't eat the teacher! / by Nick Ward.
Don't eat the babysitter! / Nick Ward.
Yummy yummy! Food for my tummy! / by Sam Lloyd ; illustrated by Jack Tickle.Little Star / Antonin Louchard.

Mermaid Isabela
01-10-2013, 12:22 PM
This is a great thread! I was actually looking up some books I could read to children not long ago. Over the Ocean, in a Coral Reef by Marianne Berkes and Commotion in the ocean by Gil Andrae, seemed super cute. They're for younger kids, preschool or so.

Aquatarian
01-10-2013, 12:42 PM
My Life with the Wave by Catherine Cowan
McElligot's Pool by Dr. Suess
The Mermaid Princess by Shirley Barber
Sukey and the Mermaid by Rober D. San Souci
Nicholas Pipe by Robert D. San Souci
Jimmy's Boa and the Big Birthday Bash by Trinka Hakes Noble

And for the younger children:
The Mermaids Lullaby by Kate Spohn

And you can always go with a short kid-ified of The Little Mermaid. The Disney version would probably be appropriate too considering it so well known.

SeaGlass Siren
01-10-2013, 12:45 PM
oo there's this one book i have thats from disney. "a whale of a tale." its supposed to be part of a series of the little mermaid picture books.

Mermaid Caidence
01-10-2013, 02:49 PM
Mermaid Sister by Mary Ann Fraser is a good childrens book. :)

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
01-10-2013, 04:54 PM
Hansy's Mermaid by Trinka Hakes Noble

Taniira
01-17-2013, 06:06 PM
Twig the Fairy has a mermaid book called "Twig the Fairy and the Mermaid Misadventure" where she switches places with a mermaid. It's cute and teaches that trying to be someone you're not isn't all it's cracked up to be. She sells it on her website.

Mermaid_Aryana
01-17-2013, 10:26 PM
A personal favorite of mine- "The merbaby" by Teresa Bateman. A great story with beautiful illustrations