PDA

View Full Version : Swimming pool issues and Silicone tails?

Mermaid Summer
01-15-2013, 12:58 PM
I know the warmer temperature aren't for a few months but I've been calling around to same of the swimming pools to see if they would let me swim in the pool with my (to-be-ordered-this-Feb-4th) silicone tail. I've run into a lot of people thinking I am going to drown. How did you explain you did know how to swim in one and weren't going to drown.

seagirls626
01-15-2013, 01:04 PM
Haha! This has happened to me every time I go to the pool where I live! I usually tell them what a monofin is ("a monofin is a device that free divers use. It's like to flippers stuck together and it's very powerful to swim in.) and then tell them that the tail is basically just a monofin covered with silicone or fabric. There might be a better explanation though. Hoped this helped! :D

Sammi Ray
01-15-2013, 01:12 PM
Monofins are used in swimming pools all over the world. Just say your a professional and have swam in it many times and have not drowned! The silicone will not react with the chlorine so no reaction will happen! And besides what the hell do you pay those lifeguards for? For decoration? Do they even know how to swim :-0 lol.

Mermaid Margarete
01-15-2013, 03:08 PM
All of the pools I've swam at are familiar with monofins. I'm getting my tail soon, tho, so I'm hoping with showing them I know how to swim in a monofin I don't encounter much fuss over the entire mermaid fin.

AniaR
01-15-2013, 03:19 PM
I have never ever had an issue yet.

Winged Mermaid
01-15-2013, 03:35 PM
Educate the lifeguards (or manager if you need to) that it is a swim AID, not a hazard. More on that here: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?2510-Places-Banning-Mermaiding&p=30789&viewfull=1#post30789 I think there was another thread that had more detail on the same subject but I can't find it.

Mermaid Danielle
01-15-2013, 03:51 PM
I'd recommend just taking your monofin in a few times. Show them you can swim easily with that and then move onto your full tail

Gem Stone
01-15-2013, 03:54 PM
ive been told I was going to drown and I simply replied "it's pretty dumb to have a mermaid on the surface" with a smile. now I only said this to family of whom I swam in their pools and never to a stranger, much less a life guard (of whom I don't trust)

Fifi Tigg
01-15-2013, 05:04 PM
My hubby took my daughter to the indoor pools and the grumpy old lifeguard tapped him on the shoulder and said you better keep an eye on her, my hubby just laughed and told the lifeguard that she swims ten times better with it on! :lol:

halesloveswhales
01-15-2013, 08:25 PM
I called my pool beforehand and asked if I could come in to speak with the manager about my monofin. I explained to him what it was, how it worked. I also told him my "credentials" as a swimmer (that I've been on competitive swim teams since I was 5, swam for my high school, etc.). I suggest doing the same with your tail. You can also demonstrate swimming in it or bring a video of you swimming in it. I definitely think that you should go and purposefully seek out the manager of the pool and explain nicely that it is a harmless device and that you know what you're doing. People are usually pretty understanding if you talk to them in person. And smile! :)
Or or or if you have a monofin, I suggest bringing that to the pool a couple of times to show the lifeguards and the manager that you're competent. Once they trust you in the pool, you can ask to bring your full tail.
I hope all goes well!

Blondie
01-15-2013, 08:36 PM
As a lifeguard at a pool, I see where they're coming from. They just don't want to deal with the risk of someone drowning in the pool. And the lawsuits that follow along.

I'm sure it's not that they don't trust you or believe that you can't swim in your tail, it's just they don't want the responsibility of saving someone in a tail because they don't know how to. Then they can get sued for letting someone drown, then the pool would close down, then jobs would be lost, ect....

I'd just use the word professional a lot. Even if you aren't a true professional. I agree with explaining how a monofin is a swim aid (monofins are banned at my pool). I don't think many people really understand monofins. And talking to people in person might help too. Just tell them how you're a performer looking for a new pool to practice in.

AniaR
01-15-2013, 09:09 PM
performer liability insurance. They can't say no to you then because you have your own insurance that covers if you hurt anyone, yourself, or their property.

Winged Mermaid
01-15-2013, 09:36 PM
performer liability insurance. They can't say no to you then because you have your own insurance that covers if you hurt anyone, yourself, or their property.

I think this is an amazing idea, and I'm looking into getting this.

I did want to ask something- if you don't know just say so :) Can this insurance cover potential damages or theft of your tail? I was going to insure my tail once I got it, but if it could all be wrapped up into one that would be great.

Ayla of Duluth
01-15-2013, 10:02 PM
I actually went pool shopping myself today. I went to 4 different motels and asked to speak to the manager, and none of them were available. >,,<
I went to a fifth hotel and spoke to the manager. I gave him my business card and introduced myself, I explained what I did by using my friend who's a Jack Sparrow performer as an example. I told him that I was looking for permission to use the pool in the winter to practice swimming. He didn't have much of a reaction but he listened to everything I had to say, so I went in for the kill. I told him I never ever ever swim alone, my tail is made specifically for swimming, and that I was willing to jump through flaming hoops just to accommodate the motel's needs. I was willing to sign a contract waiving them of all liability, I said I was also very willing to negotiate times and dates that I'm allowed to swim. If they wanted me to only swim a certain day of the week or a certain time of day, I made it clear that I would swim on their terms. They set the allowance, I am a guest in their motel.

Basically what I would suggest is planning out what you're going to say. Start with the more insignificant points, such as if you have a friend in the entertainment business, to help them understand what it is that you do. Work your way into more and more impressive points to keep their attention and widen your chances of them agreeing to it. If you have a business card, bonus points because then they can do a little research into who you are. Your hook line and sinker is going to be the safety of it all. EMPHASIZE the fact that you will never swim alone, that you use professional equipment, [bonus points if you're CPR/First Aid certified] and you will sign a contract waiving them of all liability. If they still say no, cut your losses and try a different place.

Odette
01-15-2013, 10:02 PM
I think this is an amazing idea, and I'm looking into getting this.

I did want to ask something- if you don't know just say so :) Can this insurance cover potential damages or theft of your tail? I was going to insure my tail once I got it, but if it could all be wrapped up into one that would be great.

that would be commercial property insurance. i havent seen an errors and omissions(other name 4 pro insurance) insurance that will also cover that so you would need both if you want that coverage. you can get quotes from different insurance offices.
i Love your signature gif. you look so lively!

MerEmma
01-15-2013, 10:12 PM
So Ayla, with the one manager you got to talk to...did it work out good? Did you get the rights and stuff?

AniaR
01-15-2013, 10:59 PM

Yup. that's what mine covers. All I did was ask several insurance agencies, answer questions, and I got quotes from them. Now I'm just deciding which one I want to go with. I was set back a bit because when I started the process I wasn't sure Ama would be doing stuff long term but now that she is I have to look at afew things to insure her as well. it's really not that big a deal.

spottedcatfish
01-15-2013, 11:27 PM
But not all of us are mermaiding professionally. The price of insurance would be an unnecessary cost for those who just want to swim in their tail at the local pool. I think that if they allow monofins or you showing the lifeguard and the staff at the pool that you can swim in a monofin well, a tail should not be a problem. However if they allow monofins but not tails then just use the monofin and find somewhere else to swim in the tail.

Ayla of Duluth
01-15-2013, 11:49 PM
So Ayla, with the one manager you got to talk to...did it work out good? Did you get the rights and stuff?
Yes, I got permission to use the pool. After he said I could use it though, I wanted to take it a little farther and see if there were any specific times and dates he'd prefer me to use it. He said if I want the pool to myself, it'd be best to come in on weekdays between 9/10am and 4pm. I told him that I had the idea of coming in routinely on a certain day to allow them to advertise having a mermaid at their motel to gain them some advantage over the other motels, so he said if I could come in every other Saturday, I'd be able to talk to kids and whatnot and that would be a good compromise. So I basically get to use the pool whenever, I can bring however many people I need, [spotters, photographers, etc] and they won't charge me for any of it. It turned out really well and we even exchanged business cards. I felt like a boss. xD

AniaR
01-15-2013, 11:49 PM
It's honestly not that much a year, less than rental insurance lol. It's a nice piece of mind, and it doesn't cost anything for people to get a quote.

Winged Mermaid
01-15-2013, 11:52 PM
Yup. that's what mine covers. All I did was ask several insurance agencies, answer questions, and I got quotes from them. Now I'm just deciding which one I want to go with. I was set back a bit because when I started the process I wasn't sure Ama would be doing stuff long term but now that she is I have to look at afew things to insure her as well. it's really not that big a deal.

that would be commercial property insurance. i havent seen an errors and omissions(other name 4 pro insurance) insurance that will also cover that so you would need both if you want that coverage. you can get quotes from different insurance offices.
i Love your signature gif. you look so lively!

Thank you for the compliment Odette! And thank you for your input. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question Raina!
I guess it depends on the insurance company as to if they'll cover the tail too with the performer's insurance or not. I'll be sure to ask specific questions when I'm looking. I hope that they do like Raina's does, becuase it would be nice to be able to have one expense cover all of that. But I guess I'll find out.

MermaidBrittany
01-16-2013, 02:22 AM
I only really go to one pool, and oh they let you swim in a monofin or whatever you want really, but you have to come up for air before you reach the other side of the pool. And the pools not exactly Olympic sized to begin with -_-

Odette
01-16-2013, 01:30 PM
Yes, I got permission to use the pool. After he said I could use it though, I wanted to take it a little farther and see if there were any specific times and dates he'd prefer me to use it. He said if I want the pool to myself, it'd be best to come in on weekdays between 9/10am and 4pm. I told him that I had the idea of coming in routinely on a certain day to allow them to advertise having a mermaid at their motel to gain them some advantage over the other motels, so he said if I could come in every other Saturday, I'd be able to talk to kids and whatnot and that would be a good compromise. So I basically get to use the pool whenever, I can bring however many people I need, [spotters, photographers, etc] and they won't charge me for any of it. It turned out really well and we even exchanged business cards. I felt like a boss. xD
Good job! Thats how you go about it.I'm so happy that worked out for you!